Other Looking Ahead to Gen VI Mark II (SEE POSTS #818 & #858)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, some calcs against 252 HP / 252 Def+ Mega Aggron for fun:
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Aggron: 126-148 (36.62 - 43.02%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • +2 252+ Atk Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Aggron: 166-196 (48.25 - 56.97%) -- 90.23% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Aggron: 127-151 (36.91 - 43.89%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
excpet these arent guaranteed, because stat drop.

these new abilities sound fun

and Avalugg with Recover? Slack Off would've fit so much better... but I should be happy he has recovery

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Outspeeding every single Choice Scarf user and OHKOing all of them with the exception of Choice Scarf Jirachi is huge. Tell me, which other Swords Dance user has that advantage? Furthermore, Talonflame can use an Adamant nature to have the equivalent of 92 Base Attack (assuming its Base Attack is 80) and its main STAB has 110 BP with terrific neutral coverage. Flame Charge or Flare Blitz covers any Steel-type (all of which are slower, except from Choice Scarf Jirachi), and you can even use Roost with some HP investment if you want. For example, with Roost, the standard Choice Scarf Jirachi has nothing on you, as you can just not give a shit about its usual attacks (Iron Head, Ice Punch, U-turn) and just 2HKO it with Acrobatics if it goes for Trick. Furthermore, priority Acrobatics makes this Pokemon basically immune to most priority, as the most popular priority users in OU are Breloom, Scizor, and Mamoswine, all of which are boned by a +2 Acrobatics and are outsped. Only Extremspeed users can hit Talonflame before it uses Acrobatics, and even then Talonflame can take the hits rather well if it opts to invest in HP (plus Roost).

So, you have a Swords Dance sweeper immune to Choice Scarfers (bar Choice Scarf Jirachi), immune to priority (bad Extremspeed), and with awesome STABs, that only really minds physical walls not weak to its STABs and some Rock-types (the only move it has to hit Rock-types that resist Acrobatics is Steel Wing so far). And you compare this thing to Crobat? Its only real disadvantage is its huge SR weakness, but we all know that this doesn't prevent a sweeper from succeeding in OU if its worth it (Volcarona).

Oh, i forgot to mention what an amazing revenge killing tool priority Acrobatics is too. No more getting swept by QD Volcarona, Chlorophyll Venusaur, or Choice Scarf Keldeo, Talonflame is here!!!

Also, some calcs against 252 HP / 252 Def+ Mega Aggron for fun:
  • +2 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Aggron: 225-265 (65.4 - 77.03%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +2 252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Aggron: 226-267 (65.69 - 77.61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Aggron: 287-339 (83.43 - 98.54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Aggron: 126-148 (36.62 - 43.02%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • +2 252+ Atk Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Aggron: 166-196 (48.25 - 56.97%) -- 90.23% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Aggron: 127-151 (36.91 - 43.89%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
We just might have a very decent alternative to offensive pivot Landorus-T, as a set with SR, Steel STAB, Ice Punch, and Fire Punch can deal with many physical attackers. However, lack of any kind of recovery and mediocre special bulk are its weak points.
It learns Swords Dance??? Well I just made myself look stupid by completely ignoring the fact that it has Swords Dance. Fuck. Well yeah that is huge. Sorry about that guys :/

Kinda want to try Tyrantrum + Aegislash

Using gen 5 perspective, the only thing that threaten Tyrantrum is like Scizor and Fighting types. Aegislash handle the former, while now we have Fairy type to deal with the latter, maybe not Lucario though

What the conversation of what Talonflame can do is basically related to what we need to ask each ourselves. What can Talonflame do that Staraptor or Swellow can't. All three are similar in that they are heavy hitting birds, have access to priority or Momentum, and have the coverage to back themselves up. We need to find out rather if Talonflame is worthy to be choosen over Swellow or Staraptor. Swellow is obviously outclassed because Talonflame is faster, doesn't need protect to setup, and doesn't have extreme paper thin defenses. The main argument begins to where if it can outclass Staraptor or be in an equal standing with it.

Staraptor and Talonflame are similar in that they both can be used to gain momentum [Both learn U-Turn], decent coverage moves, and both have the ability to gain monstrous powers. That is where the similarities stop however. Unlike Talonflame that needs to run a Swords Dance set to become effective, Staraptor is already a dangerous threat from the get go being able to run sets with Choice Scarf/Band or to flat out go for a fully aggressive class with Life Orb. Talonflame cannot. What Talonflame makes up for it's lack of Attack however, is for Priority Roost/Tailwind, better defenses, and a unique typing. With that, even Mamoswine cannot KO Talonflame with LO Priority Ice Shard. However, taking a turn to setup sweep is always a risky move in the meta and even though Talonflame has impressive speed he cannot punch through things that Flare Blitz does not cover like Heatran.

So in short. Talonflame shouldn't be in OU and i'd expect him to be in UU or even Borderline. It has a good niche in it give the right support he can destroy a lot of things in front of it. It's more or less similar to Moltres in that respect. When you get him to setup he will wreck shop. Given the wrong support and he is useless.

Last edited:
I just battled a Siglyph in the wild, and Whirlind did nothing to my Swirlix. Is it back to gen 1 mechanics, or did they just make it so you can't get phazed in the wild?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Mega Lucario with a moveset consisting of Swords Dance / Bullet Punch / Close Combat / Crunch | Ice Punch is going to clean house. Can you guys think of any concrete counters?

Mega Lucario with a moveset consisting of Swords Dance / Bullet Punch / Close Combat / Crunch | Ice Punch is going to clean house. Can you guys think of any concrete counters?
PK Gaming Aegislash can counter Lucario's with Ice Punch and respond back with Sacred Sword or Will-o-Wisp. Against Lucario's with Crunch it becomes a guessing game with King's Shied because if Lucario attacks Aegislash sharply reduces its attack and can proceed to respond back with a Sacred Sword.

edit: I'd would like to note with Talonflame Adamant will probably be the way to go. You would really only want the speed to hit targets with your Fire-STAB before you attack. Currently in OU however, there is nothing that is faster than base 108 but slower than base 120 that resists Flying. Your Fire-STAB is there to KO the Steel-types that would resist your Flying STAB, so Adamant is superior because they are all slower and get a boost it power to guareentee KO's on Steel-types.

What the conversation of what Talonflame can do is basically related to what we need to ask each ourselves. What can Talonflame do that Staraptor or Swellow can't. All three are similar in that they are heavy hitting birds, have access to priority or Momentum, and have the coverage to back themselves up. We need to find out rather if Talonflame is worthy to be choosen over Swellow or Staraptor. Swellow is obviously outclassed because Talonflame is faster, doesn't need protect to setup, and doesn't have extreme paper thin defenses. The main argument begins to where if it can outclass Staraptor or be in an equal standing with it.

Staraptor and Talonflame are similar in that they both can be used to gain momentum [Both learn U-Turn], decent coverage moves, and both have the ability to gain monstrous powers. That is where the similarities stop however. Unlike Talonflame that needs to run a Swords Dance set to become effective, Staraptor is already a dangerous threat from the get go being able to run sets with Choice Scarf/Band or to flat out go for a fully aggressive class with Life Orb. Talonflame cannot. What Talonflame makes up for it's lack of Attack however, is for Priority Roost/Tailwind, better defenses, and a unique typing. With that, even Mamoswine cannot KO Talonflame with LO Priority Ice Shard. However, taking a turn to setup sweep is always a risky move in the meta and even though Talonflame has impressive speed he cannot punch through things that Flare Blitz does not cover like Heatran.

So in short. Talonflame shouldn't be in OU and i'd expect him to be in UU or even Borderline. It has a good niche in it give the right support he can destroy a lot of things in front of it. It's more or less similar to Moltres in that respect. When you get him to setup he will wreck shop. Given the wrong support and he is useless.
+2 252+ Atk Flying Gem Talonflame Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 210-248 (54.4 - 64.24%)
0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 62-73 (20.87 - 24.57%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
(I'm so scared!)
Talonflame can ko stuff WITHOUT suiciding, doesnt need life orb or choice items, doesnt need a jolly nature, doesnt give a shit about any switch in (because there is NO switch in for it), your best bet is max hp ttar which still takes 50% MINIMUM. Good luck coming in again. Staraptor on the other hand is forced to rely on a recoil move, is easily revenge killed, walled by skarmory and dont have swords dance which forces it to run life orb/choice band. I dont even see a comparison here. Staraptor has the immediate power, while talonflame has the right tools for sweeping. However there are a shit ton of mons who are much better wallbreakers than staraptor around here, while no physical sweeper boasts talonflame combination of nearly unresisted stab coverage, insane base 130 speed, priority on its MAIN STAB move and access to swords dance.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hmm....if Mega Lucario doesn't carry Crunch, than Aegislash is a pretty good counter because it's immune to Close Combat, and resists Bullet Punch and Ice Punch. Jellicent can also switch into any of its moves and threaten to cripple it with a Will-O-Wisp. If Mega Lucario chooses to run Crunch, then I honestly have no idea. Gliscor and Pivot Landorus-T are both 2HKOed by Close Combat at +2. Even Slowbro is 2HKOed! To tell you the truth, I think Mega Lucario will ALWAYS run Crunch to get passed Ghost-types. Your only hope of properly beating this thing is checking it, which isn't easy either, seeing as it as blistering Speed. Looks like this thing will be near uncounterable, unless some Fairy-type that is neutral to Bullet Punch becomes OU, but even then, it needs to be very bulky. Azumarill maybe?

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Jellicent would be a pretty great check to sets without Crunch, especially with the new boosted accuracy of Will-O-Wisp. You can add Slowbro to that as well to a lesser extent, though Slowbro can paralyze it, which is also pretty great. As for sets with Crunch, Fairy-types are going to come into play here for sure, resisting both Close Combat and Crunch. Azumarill actually resists every move on both sets bar Bullet Punch, but with limited information on it right now, who knows how it will do against it. Scarf Keldeo can revenge it pretty well, as can Scarf Landorus-T, I'd imagine. It definitely doesn't have a lot of really good checks based on theorymonning, but who knows !_!

edit: also Talonflame can use priority Brave Bird or Acrobatics against it =)

Aegislash is a pretty solid counter if it runs Ice Punch. If it uses Crunch then it has to be weary of King's Shield. Jellicent should also be a good counter if it uses Ice Punch. Landorus-T and Gliscor are good counters if it uses Crunch. Scarf Keldeo resists BP, and Azumarril resists its entire moveset and could possibly revenge kill.

Aegishield can scare it away provided it doesn't switch in. It has King Shield, doesn't take effect from it's hardest hitting move, laughs at BP and doesn't care about Ice Punch at all. The Crunch can be dealt with but again, you either switch as it SD's are wait for the fodder to die and bring it in clean. If it's not bulky to your taste then a No Guard eviolite Doublade can come in and cripple it.

Physical-Mega-Lucario's counters are going be the same as Lucario now depending on which move it runs: Crunch or Ice Punch. 4 slot move syndrome is a bitch.

I am honestly move concerned about mixed versions.

guys, if it's not confirmed, you're witnessing the first sandstorm for 8 turns in a minute.

mini-hippo & smooth rock = 8 turns of SS

Last edited:
So...basically what we earned from the weather nerf is the loss of leftovers from the bulkier inducers and choice items from the support ones such as Tyranitar, also leading to predictability. I'll live.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Physical-Mega-Lucario's counters are going be the same as Lucario now depending on which move it runs: Crunch or Ice Punch. 4 slot move syndrome is a bitch.

I am honestly move concerned about mixed versions.
Oh yeah, I forgot about it's overkill special attack. That said, I think Bullet Punch will be mandatory, otherwise Fairy-types will be able to wall you.

Maybe it won't completely dominate like I anticipated, there are a ton of Fighting-type resists now. Time will tell, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thinking about it, with the new Fairy typing, Iron Tail and Iron Head may become legit coverage options on all the Pokemon whose STAB is resisted by Fairy. Dragons like Haxorus could run Iron Tail to catch such Pokemon on the switch (although Azumarill is neutral to it :( ). Dark-types like Absol could find a Fighting move less necessary since Steel doesn't resist Dark anymore, too. Thoughts?

+2 252+ Atk Flying Gem Talonflame Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 210-248 (54.4 - 64.24%)
0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 62-73 (20.87 - 24.57%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Talonflame can ko stuff WITHOUT suiciding, doesnt need life orb or choice items, doesnt need a jolly nature, doesnt give a shit about any switch in (because there is NO switch in for it), your best bet is max hp ttar which still takes 50% MINIMUM. Good luck coming in again. Staraptor on the other hand is forced to rely on a recoil move, is easily revenge killed, walled by skarmory and dont have swords dance which forces it to run life orb/choice band. I dont even see a comparison here. Staraptor has the immediate power, while talonflame has the right tools for sweeping. However there are a shit ton of mons who are much better wallbreakers than staraptor around here, while no physical sweeper boasts talonflame combination of nearly unresisted stab coverage, insane base 130 speed, priority on its MAIN STAB move and access to swords dance.
There's a problem with this logic. First things first, despite doing a hefty chunk of damage to Heatran you forgot two things that heatran can do to prevent Talonflame. Roar and Stealth Rocks. Plus Staraptor has a high calculation to KO Heatran with it's Choice Band set. Something Talonflame CANNOT do.

252+ Atk Choice Band Staraptor Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Heatran [Specially Defensive]: 384-452 (99.74 - 117.4%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO

Skarmory also walls Talonflame despite taking a heafty chunk of damage as Skarmory has both Sturdy AND Whirlwind to phaze Talonflame out. Plus there are pokemon that can outspeed Talonflame naturally if he is Adamant nature such as Starmie, Dugtrio, Alakazam, Raikou, Jolteon, and etc. Jolly means that only Choice Scarf users that have a base speed above 71. [Leading it down to Honchkrow] That means that Choice Scarf Terrakion, Latios, Latias, Starmie, Rotom-W, and more can threaten Talonflame and easily revenge kill it. Not to say it isn't bad, there are just too many threats in OU for it to function properly in the way you described it.

Slowbro 100% walls MegaLucario with Ice Punch. There's totally nothing he can do to beat Slowbro 1on1 with it.

Nidoqueen beats both versions, but she needs to be healthy to take +2 Ice Punch. With Jolly it hits:

72.92%-85.94%

With Adamant:

79.69%- 94.27%

2,56% chance to OHKO with SR up, but I think Lucario must use Jolly Nature to avoid being outspeeded by stuff like Keldeo or Infernape, which resist his priority Bullet Punch.

Looking further, Intimidate Defensive Gyarados also is great pick against MegaLucario.

+2 Ice Punch Adamant

30.96%-36.55%

+2 Crunch Adamant

32.99%-39.09%

+2 Close Combat Adamant

37.06%-43.65%

While Waterfall hits -1 Lucario for...

91.10%-107.83%

There's always super-niche Weezing, which 100% stop it cold whatever it runs, but yeah, not the most viable pick unless for heavy stall, although it may be a lil-bit better with fairies around.

Skarmory also walls Talonflame despite taking a heafty chunk of damage as Skarmory has both Sturdy AND Whirlwind to phaze Talonflame out. Plus there are pokemon that can outspeed Talonflame naturally if he is Adamant nature such as Starmie, Dugtrio, Alakazam, Raikou, Jolteon, and etc. Jolly means that only Choice Scarf users that have a base speed above 71. [Leading it down to Honchkrow] That means that Choice Scarf Terrakion, Latios, Latias, Starmie, Rotom-W, and more can threaten Talonflame and easily revenge kill it. Not to say it isn't bad, there are just too many threats in OU for it to function properly in the way you described it.
I'm pretty sure Skarmory can't survive +2 Flare Blitz coming from Talonflame, unless it has sturdy up. And all of those you mentioned go down to +2 Acrobatics Flying Gem 100% of time, which gain priority (even 4 HP Rotom-W drop in one hit while resisting it with SR up). Not sure about Raikou, but I may check it, but IMO it also goes down.

There's a problem with this logic. First things first, despite doing a hefty chunk of damage to Heatran you forgot two things that heatran can do to prevent Talonflame. Roar and Stealth Rocks. Plus Staraptor has a high calculation to KO Heatran with it's Choice Band set. Something Talonflame CANNOT do.

252+ Atk Choice Band Staraptor Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Heatran: 384-452 (99.74 - 117.4%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO

Skarmory also walls Talonflame despite taking a heafty chunk of damage as Skarmory has both Sturdy AND Whirlwind to phaze Talonflame out. Plus there are pokemon that can outspeed Talonflame naturally if he is Adamant nature such as Starmie, Dugtrio, Alakazam, Raikou, Jolteon, and etc. Jolly means that only Choice Scarf users that have a base speed above 71. That means that Choice Scarf Terrakion, Latios, Latias, Starmie, Rotom-W, and more can threaten Talonflame and easily revenge kill it. Not to say it isn't bad, there are just too many threats in OU for it to function properly in the way you described it.
Talonflame has flare blitz. If your definition of walling is ''surviving a hit at 1hp thanks to sturdy'', then yes skarmory ''walls'' talonflame in the same way that it ''walls'' volcarona. It has PRIORITY on acrobatics. Only extremespeed users can outspeed it (and guess what, it only hits for neutral damage). It seriously looks like youre trying to manipulate facts to make your argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)