Little things you like about Pokémon

I don't have SuMo yet but I did see something really cool on Bulbapedia: Smeargle can be caught on Route 2. EV training is so much easier - just find an SOS battle, give it three attacks and False Swipe, and go to town.

I adore how Sun and Moon do away with the PC options entirely. You boot up a PC, you're straight into being able to organize/move Pokemon. No withdraw or deposit choices, and that is so lovely.

What's also lovely is having the option to manually decide where a newly caught Pokemon goes when your party is full. Makes Heal Ball a bit more relevant, but more importantly, you can check the newly caught Pokemon's summary and speed things along a bit more if you're trying to soft reset a legendary/Ultra Beast. (assuming you've registered them in the dex already)

I adore how Sun and Moon do away with the PC options entirely. You boot up a PC, you're straight into being able to organize/move Pokemon. No withdraw or deposit choices, and that is so lovely.

What's also lovely is having the option to manually decide where a newly caught Pokemon goes when your party is full. Makes Heal Ball a bit more relevant, but more importantly, you can check the newly caught Pokemon's summary and speed things along a bit more if you're trying to soft reset a legendary/Ultra Beast. (assuming you've registered them in the dex already)
Oh, that's a new thing? Finally, now I won't have to manually move random 'mons out of my competitive-ready box!

Oh, that's a new thing? Finally, now I won't have to manually move random 'mons out of my competitive-ready box!
Well, by manually deciding, I mean you choose whether it gets added to your party immediately or is sent to the PC. You don't get to choose which box they go to.

On the plus side, you don't need to make room in your party to pick up an egg, you can send it directly to the PC or add it immediately and send another Pokemon to the PC in its place.

I really like how Hau and Gladion interact in S/M. Anyone who's played the game knows what I'm on about. Hau's happy attitude VS Gladion's serious one where Gladion gets really annoyed Hau is happy and having fun (to the point where he says immediately after meeting Hau at the docks "you better not say anything about this being fun". Interactions like that make characters far better, imo.

EDIT: Also during the first Lusamine battle, I toxic-ed her last Pokemon (Bewear) and then it started spamming Baby Doll Eyes (when it could easily 2HKO my active Pokemon) which I also thought was a nice detail.

Last edited:
I really enjoy that you can play all regions of Pokémon on the 3DS. You can download Kanto and put in the cartridges for the other 6. Hell, if you download RBY, XY, ORAS and SM and put in either HGSS, DPPt or BW/2, you have 5 generations of Pokémon on the one console at the same time. I think that's pretty friggin' awesome.
Almost every generation, too. You can play Gen I via the VC, and counting side games, the oldest DS Pokemon game is Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team, a Gen III game. That means you can play every region and every generation except Gen II (and even then you have HGSS) on a single device.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
On the Sun Moon Pokedex the background changes for different types of Pokemon. Normal Pokemon have Blue, Island Guardians and Type: Null have Green, and every other Legendary Pokemon has Yellow. Green and Yellow Background Pokemon also have their names sparkle and Yellow backgrounds use the 3DS's Gyroscope to look like a Shiny Trading Card when you tilt it.

Last edited:
I really love how Necrozma's battle theme is just silence during the encounter animation. It gives a real sense that something's not right, which makes sense because when you're in the area it randomly appears, you do not expect to find it. So seeing the encounter with no music makes you think "Wait, what the hell?"

Admittedly, it would have been even cooler if they had pulled a Nascour and given Necrozma no battle theme at all, but they still did a good job with it.

Last edited:
Here's one good thing about the UBs: all but two of them come in multiples and they aren't hard to catch. That means I can make one my competitive one, one my living dex, and for Pheromosa and Kartana, I actually have trading fodder. For normal people that means that getting the other version exclusive UBs isn't difficult because you have one copy for yourself and one for someone else so they could trade you their exclusive. It's actually pretty ingenious when you think of it.

Here's one good thing about the UBs: all but two of them come in multiples and they aren't hard to catch. That means I can make one my competitive one, one my living dex, and for Pheromosa and Kartana, I actually have trading fodder. For normal people that means that getting the other version exclusive UBs isn't difficult because you have one copy for yourself and one for someone else so they could trade you their exclusive. It's actually pretty ingenious when you think of it.
Not to mention different sets; especially in the case of something as versatile as Celesteela.

How in Sun and Moon the moon actually has phases

And maybe how Black and White were 'rebooting' the series, and used Sawk and Throh to reference at Red and Blue

Umm…that's it…

EDIT: How this guy in one of the Pokèmon centers in SM has a shiny Exeggcute and gives you 6 nuggets(get it?) after beating him and says something rather interesting…

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Some little neat things I found recently:

1. Before you battle Shigeki Morimoto he jokes about saving your game before battling him... which is exactly what I did before talking to him. They know. XD

BTW defeating Shigeki Morimoto once gets you the Oval Charm. This is a nice compromise with them not having a National Dex; pretty much making it a prize for completing the game instead of the completing the regional dex. And now that the only dex we have is the regional dex the prize for completing it is the Shiny Charm, a much more managable task... I originally thought (but hey all I need are to do the trade evolutions so I'm one to talk).

Also in the GF office, there's a guy who asks you for a color (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow). If you pick Red, Blue, or Green he just gives you a general "you're this type of person" response, but if you pick Yellow he talks like Pikachu. Cute.

I love some of the characters in this game. While some of them are kind of standard and just what you'd expect; basic gym leader material like Kiawe, Ilmia, yadda yadda... not that there's anything wrong with that, come to expect from a Pokémon game by now and they're still fun in their own way.
But holy hell do Nanu and Mina in particular stick out in my mind. They're just... is it just me or did Pokémon decide right after the gen whose main game had the most forgettable characters in the series (seriously who remembers half of XY's cast) to just suddenly without hesitation make some of the best in the series? Aside from the obvious main players like Guzma, Lusamine, Gladion and of course Lillie - though all of those are done fantastically - like I said, Mina and Nanu just struck a chord with me. Just how laid-back and realistic they are in how they feel about things; it feels like they're breaking some molds and anime stereotypes Pokémon has always had. They're just so... so different from anyone else in the series. This game in general has such a varied and enjoyable cast that most anyone could find a character they enjoy depending on what type of person they are. And for me in particular, I just found myself relating to Nanu and Mina so much. Which is pretty impressive when, much as I might like some of them, I've never related to a Pokémon character in my life.

Talking of characters, I adore the random grab-bag of returning characters. Admittedly this is something a bit more personal for me rather than an objective positive... but I LOVE ragtag teams and random rosters. They're honestly my favourite thing; rather than just going the obvious route of the main characters being with each other and maybe a few new additions here and there, seeing a bunch of random characters with little rhyme and reason to their appearance is so much for interesting for me. Some choices were obvious like Red and Cynthia, but Grimsley? Dexio? Colress? It's just so out there and I love everything about the Battle Tree's selection even if the Battle Tree itself isn't that enjoyable.
And of course, I'd be remiss to not mention Anabel. What a bloody random choice, ESPECIALLY after ORAS neglected to have the Battle Frontier characters - is this a sort of apology? A way of calming down everyone that complained about no battle frontier? Either way I love that she's here and I love her character. The Ultra Beasts quest is so good.

A small thing I also happened to like from the spanish translation of Sun and Moon (dunno if it's true on other languages): Policemen trainers are referred with surnames rather than first names, unlike previous generations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)