Little things you like about Pokémon

I think Nihilego’s behavior can fairly safely be chalked up to instinct. It can’t really help the fact that it’s a parasite. That’s just the kind of creature was born as. Granted, as an abstract alien being, we can’t really assess its intelligence level, but I don’t think the games do much to suggest that Nihilego may have some concept of morality. The UBs are typically couched in a tone of environmentalism, with the developers saying they were inspired by invasive species, and with the Ultra Recon Squad in USUM’s postgame talking about collecting data to help better understand and protect UBs.

I sort of wonder about the Loyal Three, because although it’s a little more graphic in the sense that they explicitly killed Ogerpon’s partner, we’ve long been told that wild Pokémon can be hostile and dangerous. I’m just thinking that, on balance, scheming and stealing are things that wouldn’t really be uncharacteristic of your average Dark-type Pokémon. While I feel like the Loyal Three are probably more intelligent than non-Legendary Pokémon (especially Munkidori), I could see a case being made that their actions can’t really be mapped onto a human notion of “evil.” That is to say, what separates them from a Murkrow that loves shiny things and gets into fights with Meowth over coins? Though they are undoubtedly antagonistic. (But even then, this being Pokémon, they can ultimately end up becoming your trusted partners.)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not to mention Lusamine in SM was blatantly a pretty horrible parent. Notably her attitude towards Gladion and Lillie during the game reeked "love" that was completely and utterly conditional. She talks about how they "rejected" her love and branded them as "traitors" because one ran off with one of her Type: Null and the other escaped with the Cosmog, and outright calls them "wretches" claiming they abandoned and betrayed her. That basically reeks of a deranged woman who is also an abusive parent.

Nihilego itself is noted to not only be a parasite but while hinted in its name (which essentially means "I am nothing"), it's in-universe considered to be questionable if Nihilego is even remotely sentient. In that regard it's possible most, if not all Nihilego lack any real consciousness of their own and have no real ability to perceive or feel anything. They attach themselves to humans purely to gain a semblance of consciousness, and in doing so likely exacerbate their own personality traits. When coming in contact with others they may make the humans more violent, but this is likely an act of self defense at most, because it perceives everything around it as a threat and uses the human or Pokemon it's attached to as a means to defend against perceived threats. It's similar to how other UBs are in a world they don't belong and are instinctively attacking everything around them because they're in a world that they have no understanding of.

Nihilego in particular seems to lack any sentient consciousness and attaches itself to people and Pokemon so that it can gain a sense of consciousness from them.

I feel like thinking just about Nihilego as like, a scientific lore Pokemon is just missing the forest for the trees

It's a metaphor and you don't get the full thing without Lusamine or Nihilego

Sun and Moon is a dark story about child abuse and Nihilego represents most things about the story relating to Lusamine

I think trying to read Nihilego as a character/creature rather than a symbol in the story is always going to miss the depth or make the story worse, honestly

I feel like thinking just about Nihilego as like, a scientific lore Pokemon is just missing the forest for the trees

Sun and Moon is a dark story about child abuse and Nihilego represents most things about the story relating to Lusamine

I think trying to read Nihilego as a character/creature rather than a symbol in the story is always going to miss the depth or make the story worse, honestly
I mean you can both see it as a metaphor or symbol that pertains to characters and story, and also as a creature that exists in that universe.
Seeing it as the latter doesn't dampen its importance to the former

I mean you can both see it as a metaphor or symbol that pertains to characters and story, and also as a creature that exists in that universe.
I always end up concerned about the inverse, mainly. "it's a metaphor" always seems to dismiss the (imo much more interesting) discussion about its in-universe niche.

Alola also needs to deal with their actual invasive species being literally enshrined before it can throw shade on some lost, confused, and unable to breed UBs, but that's a separate complaint.

I get that it’s a potent metaphor; the Lusamine and Lillie relationship drama is my favorite part of SM and USUM yeah I said it

But Nihilego also literally is a Pokémon, with a notion of ecology surrounding it along with all of the other UBs, so it’s not as if it can’t be examined along those lines as well, especially in the context of a discussion about Pokémon as creatures being villains. (In which case, I’d say that Nihilego’s status as a natural parasite and its role in the story being mostly symbolic are both arguments against it being considered a villain - regardless of which lens you’re viewing it through, it’s really more of a catalyst for the story’s actual villain.)

I see a lot of people lose the message or convince themselves of strange things not intended by the writers when it comes to Nihilego (ie. "Lusamine wasn't actually a villain she just got poisoned") which is really my worry, though to be honest I think y'all are fine so far

I like the new Tutor moves distribution. It feels like Gamefreak somewhat cared about balance in how they distributed some of these moves. Take Knock Off for instance. It mostly got handed to Pokemon that needed the move this gen, like Tyranitar and Weavile instead of being given to OP Pokemon like Chien-Pao, Ting-Lu, and Mightyena. Furthermore, Gamefreak, actually took the move away from some Pokemon like Kingambit, Landorus-T, and Toxapex, which was a bold move, but one that I appreciate for the sake of balance. Although I feel they went a bit hard on nerfing Toxapex.

I see a lot of people lose the message or convince themselves of strange things not intended by the writers when it comes to Nihilego (ie. "Lusamine wasn't actually a villain she just got poisoned") which is really my worry, though to be honest I think y'all are fine so far
I don't like ascribing an intent over the author's necessarily, but "Death of the Author" is ultimately a mindset people will have when consuming a work of fiction. I think it is fair to discuss objective or "factual" details of the writing when going into how the in-universe reality affects the story themes, since those messages hold their weight under the idea that they're real to the characters experiencing them while being real/analogous to the reader's world/experiences.

Take the Lusamine point for example: interpretation of how much her issues were caused by vs exacerbated by Nihilego's Toxins affect how one reacts to the subsequent resolution of Lillie and co. forgiving and trying to help Lusamine recover: if you presume the tendencies existed and were only intensified, this might feel tragic because Lillie is clinging to positive memories for a toxic family member she is better off away from (not an uncommon thing in victims of abusive relationships); if you think some of her worse moments are on the toxins at base, it can be more uplifting as forgiveness being something she can be worthy of and the issues being there but not so deep-seated as to not work past with support.

The opposite effect happens in a lot of stories, where people have their suspension of disbelief broken because fictional elements cause the world to function or be read differently than our own and thus the parallels do not quite work for them. Analyzing or creating a theme without considering how consistent it is with the setting depicting that theme is a very quick way to shoot it in the foot.

The Stadium descriptions for the kiss moves are amazing.

Lovely Kiss: A special move that puts the target to sleep with a big kiss. (Actually, the victim passes outStad/faintsStad2.)
Sweet Kiss: A sweet little kiss that causes the target to become giddy and confused.

A lot of moves in Stadium have very dry mechanics-only descriptions so these two having so much flavor in their descriptions is a real treat.

The Stadium descriptions for the kiss moves are amazing.

Lovely Kiss: A special move that puts the target to sleep with a big kiss. (Actually, the victim passes outStad/faintsStad2.)
Sweet Kiss: A sweet little kiss that causes the target to become giddy and confused.

A lot of moves in Stadium have very dry mechanics-only descriptions so these two having so much flavor in their descriptions is a real treat.
The descriptions make sense, as the Japanese names for Lovely Kiss and Sweet Kiss are Devil's Kiss and Angel's Kiss(Hence their animations in Gen II), respectively

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The descriptions make sense, as the Japanese names for Lovely Kiss and Sweet Kiss are Devil's Kiss and Angel's Kiss(Hence their animations in Gen II), respectively
No wonder its Jynx’s signature.

I think its also the only signature from Gen 1 that can still to this day only be learned by 1 Pokemon. (outside of some Gen 2 events and interestingly it can be an egg move for Smoochum in Gen 2 unlike in other gens)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Terapagos probably has a kill count too, just you see
Well if it's responsible for the Terastal Phenomenon than you could also say it's indirectly responsible for any deaths a Paradox Pokemon has caused, so in addition to the fiercer 'Raidon killing the Professor there's also the Paradox Donphan that mauled one of the Area Zero Expedition members (and who knows how many others have lost their lives trying to explore Area Zero).

Something I noticed whilst replaying early SV - when you fall off a cliff or anywhere and the Rotom Phone pops out and levitates you to save you. So sweet.
On top of that, the game then also gives you the choice of going back to the top of the cliff if you fell off accidentally (though the Rotom saving you has to activate for it to give you the option, if you accidentally slide done well enjoy the climb back up, hope you got that 'Raidon power-up (or you're allowed to use it at that moment in the story*)).

I guess they figured it was a needed feature considering how many players ran and jumped off the cliff after getting Wyrdeer in Legends: Arceus.

* If you're wondering, first trip in Area Zero I was collecting a hidden item that was near the edge, got into a Pokemon battle, ran from the battle, and the game had placed me both on the direct edge of the cliff and the camera pointing in an odd angle I moved in the "wrong" direction and slid down to a lower layer (though I didn't miss a Lab so no harm or fowl, just had to get my bearings where I was).

Well yeah, I mean Nurses typically have no personality outside of let me heal your Pokemon and happy face - its nice to see something different.
She also has an original design which is always a plus:

The difference between her appearance with Paldea nurses (in both appearance and perceived attitude & posture) is a nice subtle way of telling you that you're not in "big" region. Kitakami isn't Paldea where they have Pokemon Centers (which are maintained by the Paldean Pokemon League) darted all over the place in hi-tech terminals, thus a more professionally run business so the nurses are more formally dressed in working clothes. Nah, there's only one "Pokemon Center" which is a table under a canopy tent. The nurse is a local likely working for minimum wage by the Community Center (and being they have a TM Machine and LP is still accepted as an alternative currency, they seem to have an agreement with the Paldean Pokemon League (which I guess makes sense as they have the Terastal Phenomenon there which is probably something the Paldean Pokemon League would want to keep an eye on)). But with no stuffy League official likely making rounds to make sure things are being kept formal, and with how cautious people are it's not likely there's that many healing emergencies, she's just laid back and watch PokeTube all day (she probably does have full formal center clothes, but no one cares so she just wears what's comfortable (also some personal adjustments like earrings and even the Rotom Phone using a Fezandipiti case); she just has to wear the apron and the hat, though being she's wearing it sideways it gives the feeling she's not completely taking things that seriously). My guess is that the player character is probably the most recent case she had of an actively returning customer, not that she does anything different than what she usually does: turn the healing machine on and off (she doesn't even place them on, the player does that).

New meals available in Kitakami are pretty cool in that they have both real world food and Pokemon world versions of said food.
One which caught my eye was the Candy Razz Berry which shows that the Razz Berry's granules are like a cluster of grapes rather then a singular bumpy fruit like it's namesake raspberry. Not a major thing, barely even a minor thing but, as you pointed out with the Candy Pinap Berry, I like the attention to detail that they thought about how the Berry would be served. They could have just put the entire Razz Berry on the stick and implied it was like a bigger raspberry, but they went out of their way to show that there is a difference between the Pokemon Berry and the real world inspiration for it.

Oh, and of course not to mention each food item gets a unique description (some share similar sentence structures like the shaved ice, but nearly half the sentence is different where it matters), the Berry ones taking their flavors into account (and makes you wonder why they would make some of these into candy treats and not just the sweet & bitter ones). Meanwhile we got a whole slew of new Materials and while interesting to see what each Pokemon drops (apparently we can now carry around Slugma LAVA, poor Morpeko gets its "Snack" taken, and do I even want to know what Volbeat & Illumise "Fluid" is?)... and of course they ALL have the same description as all the previous Material. "Well, yeah, duh, why would they have unique descriptions when the non-DLC don't?". My point is why don't ALL Material have a unique description . Like, their description is "Material accidentally dropped by a Pokémon. It can be used to make TMs". Well no sh*t! They have their own pocket in the bag, we get a message we retrieved them after defeating/catching a Pokemon, and the TM Machine gives us a tutorial explaining all this, how to use them, and the LP currency. They might as well not have a description, it would be less insulting. They could have done like what they did with the meals, give them all a quick description, for the Material it would have been like a small additional Pokedex entry. But no, apparently whoever writes the meal descriptions has more passion about food than GF has with a small opportunity to expanding a Pokemon's lore (at the very least they could explain have the description explain what the Material is and why/how it was dropped or the player chose to gather it).

We're done with week 2 and the Mikus we got this week were
Going to wait until they're all done to comment on them, but I'm liking it and interested to see what "Class" of Trainer the Type-of-the-Day Miku is. :bloblul:

GSC Rival having a Crobat in the last battle is a nice instance of the sort of environmental story telling that I appreciate it pokemon games
On a similar note, Ghetsis's Hydreigon in B2W2 has max power Frustration (probably angry that Ghetsis made it a Physical attacker instead of a Special attacker, he truly has gone insane).

With the indication that the next part of the DLC might take place on an island in the vicinity of Unova, I wonder what they'll use as a basis if they go there?
My vibe of Blueberry is that it's like the Aether Resort: a fully man made "island". The top of the facility seems entirely man made and floats on the water and seems to go pretty deep for stuff like at least the terrarium
R_N is probably right that it's not based on an actual location but rather just a neat concept, a school with a terrarium underneath it in the middle of the sea. That said there is a relatively new artificial island in New York called "Little Island" which is used as a public park (Wikipedia article here).

The Loyal 3 - as far as we know - seem to be the first true actual Pokemon villians.
We've got some other Pokemon were are said to be outright villainous such as Malamar.

Alola also needs to deal with their actual invasive species being literally enshrined before it can throw shade on some lost, confused, and unable to breed UBs, but that's a separate complaint.
There are some mixed messages when it comes to the "invasive species" angle. On one hand we have Pokemon which are your typical example of invasive species, (Alolan) Rattata family, but the game treats them as if nature fitted them into a "niche" so now they're no longer a (major) problem that they can't deal with. Meanwhile the Ultra Beasts are from a different dimension and their "existence" doesn't meld with the "Familiar" Pokemon World's hence they cause massive destruction even though it's only one or a few individuals.

I find the Ultra Beast metaphor fine, stories how early researchers brought their house cats with them to tropical islands which then wipe out the local bird life comes to mind. However the implication that since Rattata is a Pokemon "natural" to the "Familiar" Pokemon World thus Alola's environment found a "niche" for it is unrealistic. Invasive species never become "natural" or find a "niche", they've found a new environment they excel in and begin to rapidly take over, taking as much resources as they can from native population and growing/reproducing with very little natural things to stop them (as they likely don't have predators in their new environment).

I kind of put a bit of blame on GF for not being clear about that. I'll admit for a while I did think Lusamine was affected a bit my Nihilego's poison when Mohn got teleported away, but that's because I assumed Lusamine was there when the event happened. But they've since made it clearer Mohn was messing around with the teleporter by himself and by the time they discovered what happened all that was left was Cosmog and his notes (and thus Lusamine just cracked under trauma; they made it clear she wasn't crazy until she lost Mohn the way they did).

Take the Lusamine point for example: interpretation of how much her issues were caused by vs exacerbated by Nihilego's Toxins affect how one reacts to the subsequent resolution of Lillie and co. forgiving and trying to help Lusamine recover: if you presume the tendencies existed and were only intensified, this might feel tragic because Lillie is clinging to positive memories for a toxic family member she is better off away from (not an uncommon thing in victims of abusive relationships); if you think some of her worse moments are on the toxins at base, it can be more uplifting as forgiveness being something she can be worthy of and the issues being there but not so deep-seated as to not work past with support.
Actually I'd argue that is more of a case with N and Ghetsis than Lillie & Lusamine.

As I said, it's heavily implied Lusamine was a perfectly good person before she lost Mohn. Losing Mohn in such a drastic way just broke something in Lusamine. While the person she became is terrible and she is responsible for her actions, she is still a victim to trauma but not one without possible redemption in SM and completely redeemed in USUM. From how it sounds, she lost Mohn which traumatized her, but because she had Cosmog and his research became determined to find him. At the time she may have thought the UBs have him so started development of Type: Fulls to combat them. But when that project failed and she ordered them frozen, Gladion was disgusted with Lusamine's behavior and ran off with one of them. Now having lost two family members, this drove Lusamine to become overprotective of Lillie (she may still have also hoped of getting back Gladion as she had reached out to Guzma so that Team Skull could keep an eye on him). Lusamine may have also decided to accelerate her plans even if he meant badly injuring if not killing Cosmog. Learning that, Lillie finally got fed up and ran away. And that was the straw which broke the Camerupt's back. Having lost all her family members, two of which chose to run away from her, reject her love despite all that she did for them, her personality shifted focus to her Pokemon conservation and now instead of wanting to look for Mohn she wanted to be with the Nihilego and protect them. While it was overall a good thing Gladion and Lillie ran away from a toxic environment, it did't help with Lusamine's mentality. Still, I can see how Lillie thinks she may be able to reach Lusamine by just finally telling her how she feels, hoping maybe those words coming from her would be enough to snap Lusamine out of this craziness (or at the very least let Lillie move on).

Meanwhile, comparing this to another toxic parent/child relation, Ghetsis is completely a lost cause. He was never a good person and from the start was using N as a tool. N, pure-hearted as he is, knows this but still wants to believe that maybe someway he can convince the man that took him in and gave him a family could be turned to good. At the very least that's what the story Pokemon Master told when they introduced Ghetsis & Kyurem, N trying to redeem his father and thinking that he's making progress... only for Ghetsis to reveal he was playing along once again trying to capture N's Dragon to fuse it with Kyurem. They're able to stop him (with some help from Giovanni, and yes Silver is also part of the story, the whole story had to do with fathers & sons), but it shows that, despite knowing Ghetsis is not a good guy and can't be trusted, N deep down wants to redeem him, clinging to memories when Ghetsis was "good" to him.

No wonder its Jynx’s signature.

I think its also the only signature from Gen 1 that can still to this day only be learned by 1 Pokemon. (outside of some Gen 2 events and interestingly it can be an egg move for Smoochum in Gen 2 unlike in other gens)
Lovely Kiss is still Jynx family exclusive, Sweet Kiss has been spread around to a few more Pokemon.

Gonna take the opportunity from quoted again to say that I fucking love Sun and Moon's story for its mature themes and having actually good characters, and not in the way of like "Oh Scarlet and Violet Area Zero 4% of my play time" but actually just being more like a normal JRPG, a focus on story with a lot of good characters, themes, and moments.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We've got some other Pokemon were are said to be outright villainous such as Malamar.

Lovely Kiss is still Jynx family exclusive, Sweet Kiss has been spread around to a few more Pokemon.
Yeah no, I was meaning actual story villains in the games rather than random dex entry stuff.

And yeah I wasn’t talking about Sweet Kiss at all… it didn’t even exist til Gen 2.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

While there's a bit of hindsight speaking here, looking back I think it's pretty cool that two of the members of Ash's very last team, his Journeys team, were Dragonite and Gengar.

They are both Gen 1 Pokemon, and Ash is from Kanto and started with the original Gen 1 anime season, ending with Journeys, which was multi-region, and as such Ash's team was a mix of two Kanto mons, Lucario, and two Gen 8 mons.

But the fact that the two Kanto Pokemon he newly acquired on his last team were Gengar and Dragonite is neat in a way because of what those two Pokemon represent, what their role was in the original Kanto games, and how it represents the great and powerful Trainer Ash is now.

His original Kanto Pokemon in the Kanto season of the anime was, in addition to his first partner, Pikachu, a group of early game Pokemon. A Caterpie that eventually evolved all the way to Butterfree, a Pidgeotto that evolved into Pidgeot, Bulbasaur, Charmander (evolved all the way to Charizard), and Squirtle. These are all introductory level Pokemon in the original Kanto games. Pikachu was an unconventional first partner for the anime's own storytelling reasons, but in the original games it's an early game rare spawn in the very first dungeon of the games. Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle are the three traditional starter Pokemon that new Trainers obtain as their first partner. Caterpie is an introductory tutorial Pokemon, evolves all the way very quickly in an intuitive way (insect metamorphosis process) to Butterfree, in a way that teaches the concept of evolution to a new player, and then becomes a useful ally for a while before falling off. Pidgeotto/Pidgeot is one of the first early game Pokemon you will ever meet.

These being his original partners reflected how Ash was a new and inexperienced Trainer during the original Kanto season. As such, he had a squad that embodied what are essentially both from a Doylist and Watsonian standpoint, Pokemon best suited for beginners.

Later on, he ended up with Lapras and Snorlax, with some other odd catches in Muk, Kingler, and 30 Tauros before that. These are all mid-game Pokemon, and in particular Lapras, Snorlax, and Tauros are relatively strong mid-late game Pokemon you obtain in different and unique ways but are very much strong and good Pokemon in their own right. These came later in his journey, as he wasn't anywhere near as strong as he was towards the end of his tenure as the anime's protagonist, but by the end of Kanto and towards Orange Islands (where he caught Lapras and Snorlax and started using one of his Tauros) he had become a more experienced and capable Trainer. As such, he had Pokémon suited to where he was.

Now, many generations later, in Journeys, he gets two more Gen 1 Pokemon, and as I said, those ended up being Gengar and Dragonite. At this point, Ash had become the Alola Champion, and with this series, it was all about his meteoric rise to becoming the World Champion, the most powerful Trainer and battler in the world. Aka, a Champion level Trainer.

And why is it fitting that two of the members of the team he used to become the World Champion are Gengar and Dragonite? Because what they represented in the Gen 1 games and Ash having them now embodies that he has truly become one of the best Trainers.

Gengar and Dragonite were two of the most unique Pokemon in RGB, in many ways, and were perhaps the most elite of the original 151 aside from Mewtwo. They had unique typings given exclusively to them: Gengar was a Ghost-type, and Dragonite was a Dragon-type.

Gengar was the final form of a unique line in Gastly and Haunter, and their "being a Ghost" schtick made them unique ethereal enemies that had a lot of qualities that put them a cut above the rest. You couldn't face them without a Silph Scope. They were only in the Pokemon Tower, and they were immune to every single Normal and Fighting-type move, resisted Poison and were immune to the Poison status, and their high Special made them take a lot of special moves very well, especially Grass moves which they resisted, which meant they needed to be defeated in unconventional manners. Most Trainers who had them there were possessed by the Gastly/Haunter they used, not actually owning them. The only one who does is Agatha, and she comes at you with the mighty Gengar, who is the final endpoint of the unique Gastly line, and she was the second to last Elite Four member, making Gengar one of the final boss fights.

As far as owning one, Gengar's uniqueness was reinforced by it being one of the trade evolutions, requiring that extra effort for a Trainer to own one. While the other three had different qualities to boast, Machamp being the ultimate physical attacker with superhuman muscular strength, Alakazam being the ultimate special attacker with a hyper-intelligent brain capable of immense psychic power, and Golem being the ultimate physical defender with a rock hard shell, Gengar was the ultimate result of a Ghost that required unconventional techniques to defeat, and those who had the fortune of owning a Gengar were given a powerful asset that was untouchable by most common enemies and had plenty of great tactics in addition to their speed and special power with a useful set of TMs and disruptive tactics such as Hypnosis+Dream Eater, Confuse Ray, and steady damage in Night Shade to wear down enemies.

Dragonite on the other hand has the Dragon-type and has the highest Base Stat Total of every non-legendary in Gen 1, at the time 500, and post special split a solid 600. It was the ace of the strongest Elite Four member in Gen 1, Lance, and Dragonair and Dragonite resisted all three starter types, aka the elemental types, making them impervious to Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise without coverage, while having strong bulk to take non-STAB Normal hits and hitting back hard with Hyper Beam, coming off an immense 134 Attack stat. Being under the ownership of the most powerful Elite Four member served to make it a penultimate boss and highlight its elite status.

Ownership wise, Dratini was a rare spawn in the Safari Zone specifically, and was hard to catch with the Safari Zone's rules. From there, it levels up very slowly and is weak, and evolves at a very slow pace all the way to Level 55 as Dragonite. High investment, high reward, but the end result was one of the strongest Pokemon in Gen 1.

The fact that Ash owned them during his time in Journeys, with his rise to the top as one of the world's greatest Trainers in that regard, in my eyes indirectly basically highlighted where he is now and that he is truly one of the most elite Trainers, not just among those from Kanto, but in the world, especially for the boy from a small town in Kanto.

I think it was a cool inclusion to add to his final team in the series that was about his rise to the top.

I recently went back to Pokémon Go after having another very long break from it, the reason was that I wanted to send over some shinies to Home which I planned to use as GTS fodder. Since some Gen 9 Pokémon had been added to Go (notably the Paldea starters), I decided to keep playing in order to get all of them. And it made me realize one thing.

1695555188626.png

I think Fuecoco looks so much better with its mouth closed. It is my least favorite Paldea starter by far, I don't dislike it but I always thought it looked a bit too derpy with its mouth open, to the point that it almost becomes silly in a bad way. But I think it loses all of that sillyness with its mouth closed. I like Fuecoco considerably more after seeing it this way in Go. Makes me wish it looked like this in ScaVio as well.

Two minor things from the Teal Mask which aren't really spoilers. I like how you can now lock the mini-map, making it so that north is always up instead of the mini-map rotating as you walk around. I also like how the Pokédex now "saves" where you were the last time you viewed it instead of going back to the start every single time you open it. I really appreciate how the games add minor QoL improvements like this, I hope even more of them will be added in the future, either through patches or with the next part of the DLC.

I saw the first episode of Paldean Winds and I like it a lot, feels like this will be another great animated miniseries. But that's not really what I wanted to say. The main character (of the first episode at least) is a girl named Ohara. I really like her name, and as Bulbapedia mentions, it is probably taken from Scarlett O'Hara, the protagonist of Gone with the Wind. Scarlet and Violet - Scarlett O'Hara - Ohara. Seems reasonable.

But I still haven't gotten to what I really wanted to say! Back when ScaVio were announced, I started thinking of what I should name my player character once I had gotten the game. Since I was planning to get Scarlet at first, I thought that maybe I should name my character O'Hara? Which I got after Scarlett O'Hara, obviously. I thought it could be a fun reference. I was going to play as the boy, but the name still works since O'Hara is a surname. I later changed my mind and got Violet instead of Scarlet, but I still named my character O'Hara. It seems like the creaters of Paldean Winds had a similar idea when naming their character, and I think it is a funny coincidence.

Now back to writing on my Teal Mask review!

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I honestly have no skin in the game re the Fire starters=Chinese Zodiac theory but I will just say it's amusing to see people fight so hard against it when it's just not ever going to die. I've seen arguments recently that Skeledirge represents either the snake (because crocodiles are lizards, much as Typhlosion represents the rat simply because it's a rodent) or the ox* (because male crocodiles are called bulls). Both entirely valid takes as far as I'm concerned and there's nothing to outright prove them wrong. At this stage it's not going away, just embrace it and let people join the dots how they like.

*though if it does represent the ox I'll be mad because I want a proper fiery ox Pokemon goddammit. ...actually no I don't because they'll probably make it bipedal and it'll look terrible, never mind

I honestly have no skin in the game re the Fire starters=Chinese Zodiac theory but I will just say it's amusing to see people fight so hard against it when it's just not ever going to die. I've seen arguments recently that Skeledirge represents either the snake (because crocodiles are lizards, much as Typhlosion represents the rat simply because it's a rodent) or
Several things
-Legless lizards and Snakes are not related, let alone are related to Crocs besides "reptile"
-None of the Cynda line are rodents. You go from Echidna (unique Monotremes), to Weasel and Badger (Mustelids)
Interesting note of Male crocs though

*though if it does represent the ox I'll be mad because I want a proper fiery ox Pokemon goddammit. ...actually no I don't because they'll probably make it bipedal and it'll look terrible, never mind
Tauros-Paldea-Blaze presumably isn't quite fiery enough, then. Would you be expecting the bipedal ox mon to adhere closely to the common depictions of minotaurs or not?

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Several things
-Legless lizards and Snakes are not related, let alone are related to Crocs besides "reptile"
-None of the Cynda line are rodents. You go from Echidna (unique Monotremes), to Weasel and Badger (Mustelids)
I feel like you're trying to push back against arguments I'm not making here (merely referencing the existence of)

Tauros-Paldea-Blaze presumably isn't quite fiery enough, then. Would you be expecting the bipedal ox mon to adhere closely to the common depictions of minotaurs or not?
Well no, it's just Tauros but black.

A minotaur mon could be cool actually, not a bad route at all for an ox starter to go down.

Veering slightly into wishlisting but my longstanding idea for an ox-based fire starter would be one that starts out as a foal with extremely small shaky legs and gradually gets bigger, thicker, and more aggressive, perhaps growing flaming horns and utilising various kicking moves.

Though that could also work for a horse, given that that's one of the remaining animals according to the zodiac theory. Though there's obviously overlap with Rapidash there, so I think a pegasus (with flaming wings) would be a great fresh concept to explore.

In general, I don't like any fan theory where the arguments are so abstract and tenuous that it becomes unfalsifiable, like there's literally nothing that could dissuade the most hardcore Chinese Zodiac truthers at this point. The next Fire starter could be a blob of petroleum jelly and they'd convince themselves that it represents the horse because petroleum jelly --> jelly --> gelatin --> the common misconception that we get all our gelatin from horse hooves.

Ultimately it's harmless, and I could imagine it being fun if you just treat it as this increasingly challenging thought exercise, but there are people who sincerely believe in it and I reserve the right to find that a little embarrassing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)