Resource LC Checks Compendium

Approved by macle;
OP stolen/edited from Agent Gibbs ; Idea stolen from Tressed

thanks inscribe for the amazing banner!

Following the same basic idea as the other teambuilding compendiums found throughout the LC sub-forum, the basic goal of this thread is to provide a visual tool to assist teambuilding by giving players a quick way to pick checks and counters for the metagame's top threats. Basically, a "check" as defined here is anything that reliably beats a threat, and they're separated in this list by whether or not they can switch in. The Pokemon will be listed by sprites rather than name for the sake of easy and quick reference, and they will be organized in order of their viability ranking. As I want this to be a community-built resource, I encourage everyone to suggest changes as you see fit. Here are a few guidelines that explain how this compendium will be organized (subject to change):
  • I decided to focus on Pokemon with a viability ranking of B- or higher for now since Pokemon below B- tend to be not common enough to worry about or weak enough that they're not too hard to handle. I can add some lower ranks if demand is high enough, though.As a side note, anything that drops from B- will be kept rather than deleted to save me some trouble if it ever rises again to B- or higher. An exception might be made if the Pokemon suffers a serious drop in viability (i.e. D Rank or unranked altogether).

• When listing checks, anything that has a viability rank of C+ or higher will be mentioned as those tend to be more common/used (subject to change).

• Checks are separated by guaranteed switch-ins (GSI), situational switch-ins (SSI), and non-switch-ins (NSI). These categories are explained in detail below.

• I only consider fairly standard and common sets when talking about both the threats and their checks (i.e. no air balloon Elekid).

• I'm only human, which means I make mistakes. Since these took a while to put together, I tried to scan through the viability rankings somewhat quickly for checks, so there's a good chance I missed some important checks or added some things that don't belong. If that's the case, please feel free to suggest changes!

There are Three categories that the checks will be divided into for each entry.

• Guaranteed Switch-Ins (GSI): These Pokemon can switch into basically anything a threat can throw at them and win the match-up, within reason. They may only be able to switch in safely one or two times, or they may only be able to switch in with certain sets, so that'll be up to the player's discretion. When evaluating which moves a check must be able to switch into, I'll only consider moves that are included as main set slashes on a Pokemon's analysis page. Anything else will be considered niche or uncommon enough that a check won't have to worry about it too often.

• Situational Switch-Ins (SSI): These Pokemon can switch in safely under certain circumstances, but not always. Pokemon in this category can either switch safely into some variants of a threat but struggle against others, or they struggle with common coverage moves but can at least switch into a threat's STABs and other moves commonly used on switches (such as boosting moves and Knock Off) and win the matchup. This is somewhat of a "gray area" category, so there's a bit of flexibility here.

• Non-Switch-Ins (NSI/Revengers): These Pokemon cannot switch safely into a certain threat, generally because they are beaten by one of the threat's STABs or coverage, lose if they switch in on a boosting move, etc. Pokemon in this category can, however, defeat a threat in a 1-on-1 matchup. This includes faster revenge killers, as well as Pokemon that can take a single hit and KO back.

There might be exceptions to the above rules, so these will be handled on a case-by-case basis. My advice for using this compendium is to take a look at the LC Viability Rankings and make sure that you have an answer to the highest ranked threats first, since these are generally going to be some of the most dangerous and common threats and as such are high priority when teambuilding. Once you have those covered, then you can more comfortably prepare for the lower ranked threats. Also, don't worry about having a GSI for everything; that's basically impossible given how many threats there are an how hard it is to fully counter some of them. Instead, try to at least have a SSI for the top threats so that you'll have something that you can throw in front of them somewhat reliably. More offensive teams can probably make do with a couple of NSIs and proper offensive pressure. Bottom line is that you shouldn't get too carried away with trying to have perfect counters for everything, but this compendium should give you a wide range of checks to choose from so that you can build until you feel you can cover what you need to between team synergy and in-game decision making.

Last edited:
Mienfoo Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Pawniard Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Abra Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Timburr Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Diglett Checks
GSI: Irrelevant because, nothing can switch out of Diglett bar ghost types, Shed Shell (lol), and Flying Types.
SSI: Irrelevant because, nothing can switch out of Diglett bar ghost types, Shed Shell (lol), and Flying Types.
NSI:
(Scarf users in general can RK or force a switch)

Fletchling Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Magnemite Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Porygon Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Spritzee Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Archen Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Chinchou Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Drilbur Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Ferroseed Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Gastly Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Ponyta Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Snubbull Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Staryu Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Vullaby Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Vulpix Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Last edited:
Carvanha Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Cottonee Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Drifloon Check
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Foongus Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Gothita Checks
GSI: Irrelevant because, nothing can switch out of Gothita bar ghost types and Shed Shell (lol).
SSI: Irrelevant because, nothing can switch out of Gothita bar ghost types and Shed Shell (lol).
NSI:
(Pursuit users or anything that resists after Gothita uses it's move)

Houndour Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Larvesta Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Omanyte Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Pumpkaboo-Super Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Snivy Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Shellder Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Skrelp Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Bellsprout Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Bunnelby Checks
GSI: NONE
SSI:

NSI:

Corphish Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Croagunk Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Dwebble Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Hippopotas Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Munchlax Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Pancham Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Tirtouga Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Zigzagoon Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Last edited:
Cranidos Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Doduo Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Onix Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Riolu Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Scraggy Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Stunky Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Surskit Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Taillow Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Torchic Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Aipom Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Amaura Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Chespin Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Elekid Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Lickitung Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Pumpkaboo-Small Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Shellos Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Slowpoke Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Tentacool Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

FINISHED LAYOUT; YOU CAN HELP IF YOU WANT BUT ILL FINISH IT BY WEDNESDAY, unless something comes up, AT LATEST! (OR DISCUSS ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK SO FAR) edit: uh my wrist is hurting rn so it might take a little be longer sorry
edit2: working on it again
edit3: busy with stuff atm gonna try to finish during weekend or smth

Last edited:
I'll finish the As trash, gonna edit them in after posting this so people know not to do them/you know.
DONE
Drilbur Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Ferroseed Checks
GSI:
(HP Fire)
SSI:

NSI:

Gastly Checks
GSI:
(Iron Head/Knock Off)

SSI:

NSI:

Ponyta Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Snubbull Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Staryu Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Vullaby Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Vulpix Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Aipom Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Amaura Checks
GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Chespin Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Elekid Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Lickitung Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Pumpkaboo-Small Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Shellos Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Slowpoke Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Tentacool Checks
GSI:
SSI:
NSI:

Last edited:

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd suggest both a font size increase on the bolded/underlined Mon names and perhaps a kind of line break between like in my innovation thread

But damn son yung trash with the super thread 10/10 n_n

Really nice work but just some little things.

I quite disagree with Trubbish GSI against Pawniard.
If SD, Trubbish can't switch-in :

36 Atk Trubbish Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 16-20 (76.1 - 95.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 156 Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 116 HP / 100 Def Trubbish: 21-25 (91.3 - 108.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

(I'm not even taking the 18 atk.)
Obv you can even Knock Off if 6.3% does not make you nervous.
SD Life Orb just spam Sucker Punch who is a kill even without SR

Same for Larvesta GSI. Stone Edge is not that uncommon and appeared even on its analysis.
Slowpoke GSI is 2HKOED by Eball w/ rocks who is 50% of Abras in LC 1760.

Ferro maybe could be GSI for Abra. He is only beaten by Focus Punch LO Abra and HP Fire Abra and in which case it does not make sense to add Munchlax, and tbh, both are irrelevant. Also

240 SpA Life Orb Abra Hidden Power Fighting vs. 84 HP / 148+ SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 10-13 (45.4 - 59%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

12% of 2HKO with the good prediction, imo this is fine. And tbh this iwould not be logic because Pumpkaboo has, most of the time, 6.3% of OHKO with SSneak, and he is 2HKOed by the LO with Psychic, most of the time even w/ sr. So either Pump should drop, either Ferro should rise.

For Timburr, Cotto should be GSI for the same reason. Foo Poison Jab is not common so Cotto is GSI ? Okay.
But what is the logic with Timburr so ? Dazzling Gleam from Offensive Cottonee does not kill at all even with SR.
And Pjab is imo even less common on Timburr. Also Cottonee is for me the best counter of the bulk up, so...

For Fletchling, imo Magnemite and Pawniard are not really GSI. Cause Mixed Fletchling. Not that common, but 33% of Fletchling and it stays a really decent set.

Magnemite GSI with HP Ground. Hmm. Yeah, it can switch in in the two STABs, but a move always played on him OHKOes. With the logic, Pawniard should be GSI for Abra.

Pory has a lot of troubles with LO Gastly (2HKO after SR) but if you count without SR, no problem. Even if you have even the SubDisable who can Disable Psychic, but too irrelevant.

Maybe add Numel for GSI (Ponyta).

Anyway this is a really cool work, there are just some suggestions, don't worry !

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I went through S to A and found some things I'm not sure of:
Pawniard - Larvesta is outsped and 2HKOed by Life Orb Pawniard's Knock Off, so SSI. Shellos loses to Swords Dance Pawniard 70% of the time, and is 2HKOed by LO Knock Off after sr, so SSI.
Timburr - Trubbish always loses bar a crit if it switches into Timburr using Bulk Up, because at +2, Gunk Shot is outhealed by Drain Punch. Even in a 1v1 scenario, Trubbish has to get some sweet rolls and poison on the second Gunk Shot (or crit) assuming Timburr uses Bulk Up twice. SSI imo
Fletchling - Neither HP Fighting nor HP Ground are relevant on Fletchling, so Aron should probably be GSI. Defensive Vullaby outright loses to standard Fletchling if it switches in on Swords Dance or Acrobatics, and offensive Vullaby is OHKOed by +2 Acrobatics after Stealth Rock 50% of the time, so NSI. Standard Lickitung doesn't 2HKO Fletchling, so it should probably be removed.
Magnemite - Foongus needs Sleep Clause down to be able to come in on Analytic Flash Cannon and have a chance of winning, and even then, it needs to rely on sleep rolls, so SSI. Hippopotas is 2HKOed by Analytic Flash Cannon, so SSI. Lileep should be removed because it's much more likely to end in a dead Lileep than a dead Magnemite. Riolu doesn't really come in on anything except for a specific coverage move in HP Ground, and I'm going to argue that Magnemite's least used move that's a situational slash to begin with doesn't qualify for SSI, so NSI.
Porygon - The Download set should usually be running HP Fighting or Fire. Regardless of its choice, Magnemite and Ferroseed both lose, so SSI for both. Onix outright loses to all variants I'm pretty sure, so it should probably be removed. I don't think Lickitung can win at all against the Download variant since Tri Attack is going to hax eventually, so SSI imo. Spritzee is 2HKOed by Download Tri Attack after Stealth Rock, so SSI.
Archen - Don't forget Knock Off! This lets Archen beat Slowpoke and Hippo, so both should be SSI. Itemless Acrobatics 2HKOs Shellos, Munchlax, and Porygon after Stealth Rock, so SSI for all three. Koffing can cripple Archen with wow in the process but it still dies against Knock Off or itemless variants, so SSI.
Drilbur - Ferroseed is 3HKOed by EQ and doesn't usually OHKO in return, so it's not a guaranteed switch-in. SSI imo
Gastly - It doesn't actually get OHKOed by Pursuit from Munchlax if it stays in, and LO Sludge Bomb 3HKOs, so SSI.
Ponyta - Wild Charge 2HKOs Skrelp after Stealth Rock, so SSI.
Snubbull - Pretty sure Onix should be removed because it loses
Staryu - Slowpoke doesn't really like Thunderbolt, so SSI.
Vullaby - HP Fighting and Heat Wave are fairly notable so Pawniard should be SSI imo. Snubbull loses to Knock Off + two Brave Birds and can't OHKO with Play Rough, so SSI.
Numel - I don't think Vulpix can do much to it unless I'm forgetting something. GSI?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)