Kara Inspired Team (Need Some Help)

Hello,

After reading the required material posted on here, I regret to say that this team is a bit of a work in progress (I'm sorry!!). However, I am keeping with a theme, therefore I'm more or less looking for advice on making this team work together cohesively. As I noted in the title, this team is based off of popular Korean girl group Kara. The Pokemon I've selected are reflections of the five members and served as an interesting way for me to build a team with Pokemon I had previously been unfamiliar with. The only exception to this rule is Drapion, and as such the only one I'd be willing to swap for another Pokemon. Hopefully, I've made a good choice though. Nonetheless, let us begin!

Drapion:

Item: Black Sludge
Ability: Sniper
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 226 Spe

Crunch
Aqua Tail
Toxic Spikes
Whirlwind

- Since all my other Pokemon are based around the likeness of the Kara members, I thought that Drapion would make an appropriate lead based on its lack of weaknesses and great speed. The idea is simple enough: Set up Toxic Spikes, use Whirlwind to get as many Pokemon as possible poisoned, and follow up with causing some damage via Crunch or Aqua Tail when the opportunity rises.

Note: I had considered Floatzel, Qwiflish, and Toxicroak for this job as well, but chose to stick with a more sturdy start to the battle.

Blastoise
(representing Kang Ji Young)
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Timid
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Surf
Ice Beam
Rapid Spin
Protect

- So, what can I say? There's nothing really special about this set. Protect prolongs damage from poison, Rapid Spin removes any entry hazards placed by my opponent's lead, and your signature Surf and Ice Beam combination.

Note: Earthquake and Outrage also crossed my mind, but I just don't see howI could lose of the above moves favourably.

Ursaring (Physical Sweeper)
(representing Goo Hara)
Item: Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 158 Def

Facade
Crunch
Swords Dance
Fire Punch

- Fire Punch is there for coverage that I feel my team is lacking. The rest of the moves play as you'd expect, and while I'm aware Close Combat would be ideal on this set, I do not currently have the option to attain it.

Note: I'm a bit weary of using a turn to raise my attack. I know that it will further supplement my Ursaring's sweeping capabilities, but I'm just not sure it's worth taking the damage from Flame Orb.

Mismagius (Choice Sweeper)
(representing Park Gyuri)
Item: Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Trick

- I think this is fairly straightforward. For the most part, I consider Mismagius to be my special attacking equivalent to Ursaring, but with the added benefit of Trick to cause some trouble for my opponent. Of course, I'm aware this could very well backfire, so I'm entertaining the idea of putting Light Screen on one of my Pokemon. Perhaps:

Clefable (Support)

(representing Han Seung-yeon)
Item: Damp Rock
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Careful
EVs: 158 Def / 252 SpD / 100 Spe

Return
Wish
Protect
Rain Dance

- Here's one of those Pokemon I haven't really figured out how to utilize yet on the team. I have Rain Dance to lend a helping hand to Drapion's Aqua Tail and Blastoise's Surf if available. But, more significantly, to benefit the final Pokemon on the list: Ludicolo. Again, Protect is there as both a means of scouting and prolonging damage from Toxic Spikes. Return will avoid being trapped by Taunt users, and Wish will be able to help any member on the team - in particular, providing my Ursaring a second round of sweeping potential.

Note: I considered Thunder in place of Return to further the relevance of Rain Dance on this set. This is also the reason why I had mentioned Floatzel, Qwilfish, and Toxicroak as potential additions to the team earlier. My plan initially wasn't to create a Rain Dance team, but as I put the pieces together, the idea seemed at least somewhat plausible. Oh, I almost forgot - I have no idea what I'm doing with the EV spread. ^__^;;

Ludicolo (Swift Swim Sweeper)
(representing Nicole Jung)
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Modest
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Surf
Giga Drain
Ice Beam
Rain Dance

- There were so many directions I could go here. At first, I wanted to have a Swift Swim sweeper, but then I thought perhaps Ludicolo would serve better as an Offensive Tank or maybe even a Mixed Sweeper. For now, I've settled for the former, but I'm still uncertain whether this set is suited to my team. Anyways, much like Mismagius this set is pretty linear. The chosen moves are there to provide adequate coverage with Giga Drain in place of Energy Ball to give Ludicolo some longevity in battle.

Note: In an attempt to counter the effects of Life Orb use, I considered switching Ludicolo's ability to Rain Dish to give it some longevity in battle.

I'd like to thank all of you in advance for reading and rating my team. Hopefully, I'm on the right track here and with your help, make this team a worthwhile endeavour! =D

Some quick easy changes would be seismic toss on Celfable. Low attack plus no investment menas that return will do pitiful damage most of the time (even compared to the 100 dmg from seismic toss). Ursaring should run a standard 252/252 ev spread. Blastoise should probably run scald over surf for the burn chance on flyers, steels, and poison types. I have not doen damage calcs but I am just not sure what extra you would get out of higher base power of surf. Missy should probably be timid to out-speed positive nature mew and neutral natured cobalion. Either Nidoqueen or quilfish (fish having something to gain from rain and queen would add a fighting resist for your two weaknesses) would be better toxic spikers for this team.

Overall though the team seems to lack consistency and staying power. You have two ways of setting up rain and your physical sweeper does not have much of a chance to do anything, it cannot do to any of the fighting types in the tier and it severely limited in the times it can switch in. Most powerful choice scarf users seem like they threaten this team. How does this team work for you?

I have only had a bit of experience testing this team out thus far, but I'm unfortunately not finding much success. My idea to make this team work isn't quite going the way I had hoped.

Rain can wreck in UU. Best this one in my opinion was done wrong. I would go back to drawing board with the idea of a ludicolo sweep and work from there. Keep missy as physical colo is walled by dusclops and trick missy screws up dusclops pretty bad. From there work your way towards a more unified build.

After some testing, this is how the team stands now:

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Blastoise (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Haze
- Rapid Spin

Ursaring (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Quick Feet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Facade
- Fire Punch
- Crunch
- Close Combat

Mismagius (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Trick

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Double-Edge
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Ludicolo (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SAtk / 152 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)