I don't need a key to victory, I'll break in. [RMT]

To begin, I'd recently been in a slump, losing most of my ladder matches, but now I've broken away from that slump, and I've figured out in that time what the current metagame is about, and how to ruin it. That's why I'm running an Anti-lead, and I have several ways to take out some of the game's worst threats, such as, but not limited to: Infernape, Scizor, Salamence, Latias, Flygon, Metagross, Swampert, Blissey and Tyranitar.​

Team At a Glance:​

ElbowSwordz (Gallade) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 56 HP/252 Atk/200 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Close Combat
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Sneak

First off, I've had a hard-on for most of the BL Tier since the beginning of my competitive days. And since that time, I've used many Borderlines in my time to a great deal of success, but I hadn't used Gallade much, despite the fact that he was one of my favorites. So, Anti-Lead Gallade may possibly be one of the greatest members of the team. Close Combat gets 2KO's on Swampert, Bronzong, Metagross, and of course, rapes Tyranitar and Heatran. Shadow Sneak 2KO's Azelf and Gengar, and can pick off other weakened Sash users, like Aero and Infernape. This thing also gets a Speed boost from flinches, so other Anti-leads like Weavile, Infernape, and Ambipom will unconsciously hit it with Fake Out, giving it the speed to reply with a deadly Close Combat.
Destiny Bond works excellently against slow leads, but even faster things like Salamence that resist Close Combat will come in and DD up. To remedy this, I can Taunt them after the first Dragon Dance, then survive a hit, and Destiny Bond. Since so many people are unfamiliar with Destiny Bond, Gallade will usually get hit again, killing off the opponent's pokemon, which is incredibly useful. When Gallade eliminates many of these leads, a crucial counter is beaten, allowing a sweep from something else. For instance, killing off Swampert will allow Jirachi to have a much easier time, and Metagross down means Latias has less to worry about.

Lateralus (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/156 Atk/88 Def/14 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch

Another BL, one I wasn't terribly fond of, but once I saw a set DP44 put out for it, I was won over, and Registeel has become one of my favorites since. There's an enormous list of things that can't OHKO it, including boosted Life Orb Earthquakes from Salamence, Mixape Flamethrowers/Close Combats, CB Heracross Close Combats, and ScarfTran's Fire Blast. Ice Punch always OHKO's back Salamence anyway, and Registeel can eliminate a threat after surviving a hit with Explosion. Iron Head is strictly STAB, but beats Weavile, who can't OHKO with a SD Brick Break, and also works wonders if the opponent is paralyzed, which isn't too hard, given the members of the team that roll with Registeel. Stealth Rock is standard utility. Ice Punch also keeps CM Latias from setting up. Once Registeel wears it down, if it Recovers, Registeel can KO with Explosion.

Narcolepsy (Slowbro) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 200 HP/252 Def/12 Spd/44 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Flamethrower
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

"GAWD, SYNRAL, MOAR BLS?"
"Shut up. BLS R SRS BZNZ."
Yes. This Slowbro takes hits on the physical side like no other. It also covers the Fire and Fighting weaknesses of Registeel, so a backup Mixape check if Latias is down. The moveset mayn't seem like a Gyarados counter, but that seems to be the only thing the common battler refers to Slowbro as if they've never used him. He's the bane of Scizor if Scizzy gets paralyzed. Ground-types don't typically switch in to Slowbro, due to STAB Surf, except for Swampert, (and Flygon fears a potential Ice Beam) so paralyzing Scizor isn't horrendously difficult. After that, the Scizor player typically goes straight for X-Scissor/U-Turn, not thinking twice about Slowbro's Flamethrower, since he's an oddity anyway. Flamethrower, with the given EV's, is always an OHKO on 252HP/Min Sp. Def Adamant Scizor, and anything less defensive than that. Even if Slowbro doesn't paralyze Scizor, it can live through a CB U-Turn or an unboosted X-Scissor, and certainly a Bullet Punch or two, which is the only way Scizor can go before Slowbro after paralysis. Spreading T-wave support across the team is great, since even if it can't directly beat DDGyara, paralysis may as well stop it.

TinyDancer (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Surf

^This is why you aren't loved anymore, Tentacruel. LO Latias is cruel, and hell to withstand hits from. I have checks for Latias' top counters, such as Tyranitar and Blissey. (Machamp sez hai!) Surf/Draco Meteor/Thunderbolt hits almost everything for neutral, and Recover is standard... recovery. This thing has oodles of opportunities to come in, especially since Mixape can't even 2KO it with HP Ice! Swampert, which has no issues taking Thunderbolt, and little problems with Surf, loses 85-90% of his health from a Draco Meteor, giving me a quick means to eliminate a physical wall. Scizor is 2KO'd by Surf or Thunderbolt, and loses half it's health to Draco Meteor. (but obviously it won't 2KO due to the Sp. Atk drop.)
Unlike most pokemon who are Life Orb users, Latias is pretty bulky. Salamence has to deal with less speed, and SR damage, a 4x weakness, and packing Roost comprimises it's moveset against certain things. Latias has just the right attacks, and Recover doesn't hurt to have at all.

Starlight (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/176 Spd/82 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
CMRachi is outright deadly in today's metagame. Getting in on a Rock/Ice/Steel move isn't too hard, and then CM'ing on the switch is easy, too. Sandstorm immunity and SR resistance are great, too. Since many expect the CS Iron Head 'Rachi, I get a lot of Gyarados switching to sponge Iron Head, only then to be staring down a +1 Thunderbolt, means another switch is necessary, giving me an opportunity to CM again, or sub if I choose. With CM, Jirachi's subs become very hard to break, and a +6 Flash Cannon 2KO's Blissey, and it takes two Seismic Tosses to break a sub, and Jirachi also can't have it's subs broken by Flamethrower after one CM. Don't even think about Ice Beam. Flash Cannon > Psychic so Tyranitar is kept at bay.
Still, Blissey is a problem, so I pack one last little number to deal with the fatty:

Jack Bauer (Machamp) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP/160 Atk/84 Def/14 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dynamicpunch
- Payback
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
RestTalking Machamp, with a twist on the EV's. Despite the 252HP/252Atk's bulk, it's just a tad short of perfect, so I tweaked it similar to the Anti-Lead's EV's, except focusing on defense, as to soften CBTar's hits, and CBScizor's hits. Blissey runs in fear, so Payback is to hit the potential Gengar or Rotom forme. The latter, I think is OHKO'd if it doesn't run defensive EV's. Even things like Salamence and Gyarados still lose chunks to Stealth Rock and Dynamicpunch, and confusion does them no favors. Keeps Blissey/Tyranitar out of Latias/Jirachi's way, and is a great status absorber and in general, attacker.

So, to sum up, the most common threats in the metagame, offensively, and defensively, have no place against this team. One of the main purposes of the team is for other members to eliminate a teammate's counter. (Latias beats Mixape for Registeel, Machamp kills Blissey for Jirachi, Gallade crushes Tyranitar for Slowbro.)

So, make comments and suggestions, but please, don't say anything like, "great team, 10/10" or "this team sux, you need to have blast burn charizard". If you're commenting, you give me threats to the team, or moves/EV's to change.

Lastly, a million and half internets if you get the title reference.​

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well Synral, I think it is important that you Know Your Enemy. I think you will be vunerable to stall teams - having only a single Stat-Upper and no mixed attackers means SkarmBliss will cause you trouble. Even with the defense EVs/RestTalk, Machamp will find it difficult to break through Skarmory, particularly one who whirlwinds you away through Spikes every time. Registeel's explosion might help open the game up, but then stall teams tend to be wary of anything that is renowned for booming.

I love your Gallade lead. Seems like it can handle pretty much every common lead out there whilst not being a suicide lead in the general sense. I'd imagine it takes some prediction to Taunt a SR, but that is something that comes with practice.

I also believe you will have trouble with some Scarfers who will outspeed your offensive team. Flygon in particular who tends to run Outrage/U-turn/Earthquake, which will quickly whittle down your entire team - a lack of Ice moves is going to hurt you here.

Something else I noticed is that you're only running one priority move, and that's on your fragile lead - you may run into trouble with a lategame Lucario.

Overall, there are not many holes to poke here - this seems like one of the first truly solid teams I have seen in the RMT section, capable of dealing with most of OU's common threats in an unorthodox way. Good work.

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
Stall teams will give you trouble, like m0nkfish said.
Now why go with flamethrower I see you want to make it a C-Banded scizor counter, but hp(electric) would to making a cune/gyrados counter as well but thats just one suggestion, just saying test it out.
Now go with such a real long ev spread which isn't helping much with 12 def ev's in slowbro not going to do much, go with this spread to keep it simple, and stronger defense 212 HP / 252 Def / 44 SpA.
That's really all since I'm busy but nice team all in all.

Changing Gallade to Choice Scarf with Close Combat, Ice Punch/Thunderpunch, Night Slash/Shadow Sneak, and Taunt/Destiny Bond will solve your Salamence problems. Putting Leaf Blade in somewhere will help you if you have Mudfishphobia.

@m0nkfish
Yes, I know my enemies. They're the tutors who told me to fight me. But I can see what stall does to my team. Fortunately, CMRachi is a decent stall-breaker, and only really has issues with Swampert/Blissey/Rotom, the last two which can be delt with by Machamp. I've run into a few Lukes, but I actually haven't gotten too much trouble out of them. Slowbro shaves off a chunk of their health with a Flamethrower, and takes 75-83% from a +2 Crunch, and variants without are screwed against him. Jirachi can pick off a weakened one if he's got at least ~40%, due to Extremespeed resistance.
@Xerocism
The weird spread behind Slowbro is actually purposeful. 12 Speed EV's allow him to outrun base 130's once they are paralyzed. And I've tried HP-Elec Slowbro. It isn't BAD, per se, but Flamethrower > HP Elec because Scizor is more of a threat when paralyzed, and I need to eliminate it quickly. Only after several Dragon Dances can Gyarados pose a threat to Slowbro, while Slowbro can Thunder Wave and wear it down with Surf, and Slack Off any damage. Takes longer, but isn't terribly hard.
@Crynts
I'm not really in desperate need for a revenge killer, since I've got a stable source of para support running/walking around with instant recovery.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What exactly do you do vs Tauntrados? I know it's not the most common variant but if Slowbro can't Thunder-Wave it, there's no easy way of stopping it.

What exactly do you do vs Tauntrados? I know it's not the most common variant but if Slowbro can't Thunder-Wave it, there's no easy way of stopping it.
Tauntrados is played around. Typical variants carry Waterfall/Stone Edge as their primary attacking moves, and once 'Bro is Taunted, Latias is my primary switch in. A +1, and possibly a +2 Stone Edge won't OHKO her.

Calcs w/ 108 Attack EV's, Adamant Gyarados vs. 4 HP/Min Def Latias:

+1 Stone Edge:
56.95% - 67.22%

+2 Stone Edge:
75.83% - 89.40%

Also, vs. Jirachi:

+1 Waterfall
47.03% - 55.20%

+2 Waterfall
62.38% - 73.51%
A +2 Stone Edge only has a small chance of OHKO'ing me with rocks down, so a healthy Latias can withstand a hit and OHKO back with T-bolt.

Jirachi cannot be 2KO'd by a +1 Waterfall, factoring in lefties, while he comfortably beats Gyara with Thunderbolt.

Do you mind if I test/use your team? I don't really notice anything terribly wrong, but it's always good to have experience with it, and maybe two people testing it will work better than one.

I don't understand why Slowbro isn't used more. I've been testing this thing out , and it just gets hammered, but still never dies. I switch it into a Scizor BP, and when they decide to just keep hammering away, like most Scizor users, I burn it to crisps. Paralyzing things also REALLY helps your team out, especially Machamp, who I find to be a key member of your team. I often sweep more with him then with Jirachi. I ran into a Hail team, and it gave me some troubles, being unable to break a Stallrein-Rotom pairing, but those are so rare that you probably shouldn't care. The only issue I have is being unable to break Swampert with Wish support. I often run into Swampert-Blissey, so I can't keep firing DM's at it with Latias. I want to recommend HP Grass somewhere, but I can't really find a spot, but if you can find one for it, I suggest you put it there.

I understand the logic in Flash Cannon > Psychic, but your team really has Tyranitar covered well in the sense that your Latias can punish T-tar switch-ins and you have Registeel and Rest-Talk Champ waiting. If you had Psychic, you could beat Lucario with Jirachi by Subbing as he CC's you, and then Psychic will OHKO. Also, you can beat stall more efficiently.

Sorry this is very short. I really have to get going.

Great team!

I think Grass Knot would help, but Jirachi and Latias can't really find an opening for it.
If I ditch Thunderbolt on Jirachi, then I am walled more by Steels, but if I ditch Thunderbolt on Latias, I have to pick off every Mence with Draco Meteor.
Hmm...
@Stauffen
Let me try Psychic. I'll beat Swampert/Lucario/Machamp/Infernape a little easier. Plus, Tyranitar can't Pursuit me with a sub up.

I don't understand why Slowbro isn't used more. I've been testing this thing out , and it just gets hammered, but still never dies. I switch it into a Scizor BP, and when they decide to just keep hammering away, like most Scizor users, I burn it to crisps. Paralyzing things also REALLY helps your team out, especially Machamp, who I find to be a key member of your team. I often sweep more with him then with Jirachi. I ran into a Hail team, and it gave me some troubles, being unable to break a Stallrein-Rotom pairing, but those are so rare that you probably shouldn't care. The only issue I have is being unable to break Swampert with Wish support. I often run into Swampert-Blissey, so I can't keep firing DM's at it with Latias. I want to recommend HP Grass somewhere, but I can't really find a spot, but if you can find one for it, I suggest you put it there.
Thanks for bringing some issues to my attention, I appreciate it.
Machamp ruins a lot of Wish support simply by hammering away at them. Common wishers are weak to his moves. (Blissey, Latias, etc.) and many others are 2-3KO'd (Vaporeon, Jirachi, etc.)
Slowbro truly is underrated. Magnificent special movepool, decent attacking stats, above-average defensive typing, instant recovery, and great physical bulk.
Being the best Machamp counter doesn't hurt, either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)