ORAS Doubles OU I don't even know what to call this team...

I'm trying a new doubles team with 6 pokemon i haven't used before... so it might have some difficulties. I guess the team is an attempt to use sun to its potential without relying on it as make or break for the team.

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 224 Atk / 44 Def
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Protect

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Aegislash and Scrafty are the leads, and can disrupt some pokemon like M-Gardevoir. They both have good bulk, and relatively cover each other's weaknesses. Wide Guard can help protect them from Earthquake and Heat waves that hurt Aegis and the pixilated Hyper Voices that murder Scrafty.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 108 HP/ 152 SpA / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Overheat
- Protect

The mega on the team, and sets up the sun. Heat Wave is great spread damage, while SolarBeam kills many of his threats, namely rotom-wash and many rock types. Overheat provides incredible power, but lowers sp.attack, so a switch may be needed, but then switching back in could re-activate sun for me...

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Main benefactor of the sun, chlorophyll makes him very fast, outspeeding nearly all of the unboosted metagame. Sleep Powder can be used to put major threats to sleep, while giga drain and sludge bomb are powerful STAB attacks that get a nice Life Orb boost.

Gastrodon @ Expert Belt
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 204 HP / 140 Def / 100 SpA / 60 SpD
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Recover

Due to infernape and Charizard being weak to water, I decided I should put in a counter to this in case Venusaur is out of commission. Switching into a water attack gives Gastro a much needed SP.Att boost, and the expert belt combined with lots of coverage options gives him surprising attacking capabilities. Icy wind is really the only good form of speed control on the team,which may need to be fixed.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Heat Wave
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Feint

Infernape provides late-game support with Fake Out and Feint, while also benefiting from any Sun that may be left up. Heat Wave and close combat provide nice STAB coverage moves

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Hi, and welcome to dubs! I'm glad this isn't one of those "mono fire sun" messes, you could probably just call this sun offense. Good sun teams generally only have venu+zard, anything more tends to get a bit excessive. It looks like you've been using analysis sets/spreads, so no issues there, but you're awfully weak to lando-t and tflame overall.

Gastrodon, although cool on paper, isn't too useful because sun already halves water damage, making a water weakness not too significant. Also, gastro is kind of a subpar mon overall, its only niche is storm drain.

Scrafty falls into the same boat, it's good on trick room but isn't too valuable on most other archetypes. It only really makes you more weak to diancie, lando, and talon.

You should try Lando-t> scrafty and thundurus > gastro (REMOVE GENIES). I know they're overused, but these guys are just great all around, and help check your weaknesses offensively. Rather than redirect water attacks, thundy helps by outspeeding and koing keld and diancie. Lando keeps scrafty's intimidate, but it once again helps you against a whole suite of threats. You don't miss fake out, since you already have it on infernape.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-Turn
- Superpower

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
4 HP / 252 Spa / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Taunt
- Protect

You're a bit weak to heatran, I suggest hp ground> overheat on zard.
Besides that, I think you'd like overheat> heat wave on infernape, as you're going for a more supportive mixed set.

Happy thanksgiving! Cool looking team as well, weak to some things that sun shouldn't be weak to but cool nonetheless.

Your team really struggles with the following: Talonflame, Blaziken, Thundurus, Latios, Hydreigon, and Rotom-H. It also has minor trouble with Diancie, Landorus-T, and Rain if you play poorly with Charizard+Venusaur. I would suggest using Rhyperior over Gastrodon because it's a great switch in to Talonflame, and can redirect electric attacks from Charizard and Thunder Waves away from Venusaur. People usually use Rhydon on sun because of it's superior bulk and it has the same utility as Rhyperior but my second suggestion is to change Infernape to CM Trick Room Cresselia to actually have a decent switch in to Blaziken, it also benefits from Scrafty's Fake Out(nothing did before), helps out Rhyperior by getting Trick Room up, and benefits from the sun when it uses Moonlight. The rest of my suggestions are just move set/EV changes on the rest of your pokemon. I would give Charizard Hp Ground to keep Heatran(which is a huge threat to sun and in general) from Subbing and it has a chance to OHKO it as well. I would also give it a bulkier spread to take an Adamant Kangaskhan Return and out speed Adamant Bisharp(240). Your team is so heavily pressured by Talonflame I would make Venusaur Focus Sash so it can take any move from Talon and KO in return with Sludge Bomb. Aegislash' set/spread is fine but give it 0 speed IVs to have the best shot at under speeding other Aegislash(Aegislash can't OHKO other Aegislash even with Life Orb so you can take any hit and OHKO when the opposing Aegislash is in Blade form). Lastly on Scrafty I would make it Life Orb with 4 attacks so it isn't dead weight when Trick Room is up. I would also change the spread you have to max hp max attack because your spread is meant to live Keldeo's Secret Sword and with Life Orb that is kind of pointless.

Hopefully I was of some help, if you have any questions about doubles or the team and the changes feel free to ask. :]

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 176 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Venusaur @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Rhyperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- Drill Run
- Ice Punch/Substitute
- Protect

Cresselia @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Trick Room
- Moonlight

Scrafty @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Low Kick
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)