I Am The Shinxe, koo koo (pi)kachu!

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
Yep it was ENTER THE HAGGISSSSS so fucking good you guys seriously.

Okay haha I guess I will finish this! I was tempted to be lazy earlier buuut I like this looking on it hours later. 9u9

Thanks for rocking, you guys <3

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
I found files I'd saved for my process for the Zekrom piece! Thankfully I was obsessive about saving stages of this one.

Is it interesting? MAYYYBEEE. Enjoy my halfhearted commentary!

Lineart like a boss, messy but helps to have a solid sketch, no extra lines floating around to fuck me up when I paint. There's some weird shit going on here and there (that back foot/lower leg, what?) but that can be fixed later in the painting process.

Initial color study. Isn't it hilarious how terrible these color choices are? Oh, my bad, there AREN'T any color choices. This is what happens when you go with your first whim, kids-- don't think flat blue and black is interesting. Unless you're making a movie called TRON, in which case it's ace. Anyway what I'm saying is this image has no color focus-- where am I supposed to be looking? What makes this badass except that you can't see anything?

I gave up and did some flat color so I'd have a base to go off of. This was much more helpful, because I was able to keep the local values accurate even while putting some crazy colors all over this dude. Since he has dark grey and darker grey, I wanted to make sure the final reflected that. The final is on the last page so feel free to compare. Sorry though, I don't have anything from the time warp between 'flat color' and 'final'. Except I used a 'RANDOMIZE COLOR' paintbrush to generate some crazy shit here and there. Make color theory work for YOU.

Gah, I wish there had indeed been more progress shots from here until the end of the painting process. I love seeing how artists paint their pieces! It is awesome being able to watch their work transform. It also helps me learn how to paint to watch people paint =]

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Lol, I actually like the middle not-yet-finished piece than the final product. It may be because I like more simple art with more dramatic effects...

Anyway, I love all of your work, and I hope you'll continue doing stuff for the site!

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
Thanks SEO and Oglemi! Yeah, too bad I don't have more process work. I could isolate some of the layers, though, might be interesting to break it down that way. Let me know if that sounds RAD.

Oglemi: nah it's cool, there's definitely a LOT to be said for sleek simple color (I don't think I nailed it anyway, takes mad skills!) but in terms of broadening my horizons, I REALLY needed to do some brain-hurting experimentation. Owww

and yeah, will be doing more Smog art for issue #14! Thank you! Glad you enjoy my stuff :D

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
so I did a stupid thing and checked my Gaia Online account for the first time in nearly a year. THEN I DREW MY AVATAR.

Face is referenced from a photo of myself.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Totally diggin' the pose in this one, along with how its limbs are less detailed than the main body aka focus point. Gives it depth, or at least a somewhat arbstract feeling that makes the piece much more exciting than if it were plain outlines, despite her appeareance. Furthermore, that's a very good looking shirt.

Hey Shinxe, I absolutely love your art, and that Reshiram made me jizz in my pants, but most of your pictures in this thread are just the little red x (dunno what it's called but I know it has a name) so just wondering, is it all on your DA?

Excellent renditions of both Reshiram and Zekrom! I'd rate Zekrom a bit higher solely because I'm a sucker for bright and colourful lighting in dark settings. I'm also enjoying looking at your full sizes. Using a large canvas is a great habit to have in digital art.

In your Reshiram piece focus and detail is on the face and manages to keep it there despite the lighting from the tail, no doubt in part to the amount of detail on it and fierce expression. I also have to say that the right wing looks fantastic with its flowing almost cape-like curves. I do find the left arm a bit out of place though, on the right the arm seems to meld seamlessly into the wing while here it appears to be above it and disconnected. The messy shading coupled with hints of purple and green tie the piece together and add extra interest. The fades on the tips of the hair and tail also give it an almost etheral quality. Just some observations.

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
Precipice: Putting together WIP steps nowww

GlassAbsol: It's all on my DA (or most of it is I guess) but the images are working A-OK on the computer I'm using (at college so not my home one, either). Maybe Imageshack had a brainfart?

Wyverii: Thanks for the detailed comment, makes me go YAY. You're right about the arm; it's one of those things that I just didn't go back and attend to since I thought I was on a much tighter deadline. Moral of the story: The Smog comes out at the very end of the month, and also TRY HARDER. The hints of other colors is something I've tried out lately, and I'm glad you think it adds interest to the piece. Thanks again!

WIPs in a bit, patching it together.

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
Huge page-stretching image coming up. It'll be the last post on this page because that is just easier for everybody, I think. HURR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)