Hydreigon (Analysis)

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just an idea, but how about banded Hydreigon with Outrage, U-Turn, Earthquake and Crunch or something like that.
It has much competition by Garchomp, Salamence, and even Flygon, who owns all those moves with just a slightly lower Attack (negligible, nonetheless). The only thing Hydreigon has over those is STAB Crunch.

Is there any chance of Expert Belt getting a mnetion in the AC of the first set? I know that the lose of power is noticable, but i've used it, and it really helps with perserving Hyderigon's great bulk, and it can bluff a Choice Scarf to help get a surprise kill on tons of Pokemon.

Don't like the Scarf set at all. Every other scarfer has a move it can use for consistent damage and lategame cleanup. Draco Meteor is flat out set up bait, and unSTABed Fire Blast doesn't cut it.

And? It still works, and that's why its used. It still packs a serious punch to boot, STABed Fire Blast or not.

why do you run 252 speed evs when it's in a speed tier of its own? what is so important to outspeed? the only advantage i can see is revenging banded haxorus.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
why do you run 252 speed evs when it's in a speed tier of its own? what is so important to outspeed? the only advantage i can see is revenging banded haxorus.
At the same time, we can argue that the transition of EVs invested from Speed to HP for Hydreigon is useless because the boost in bulk is so negligible. With such little impact here, Maximum Speed is the best way to use Hydreigon, as outrunning the rare-but-present Haxorus is more valuable than 12 or 8 EVs invested in HP.

At the same time, we can argue that the transition of EVs invested from Speed to HP for Hydreigon is useless because the boost in bulk is so negligible. With such little impact here, Maximum Speed is the best way to use Hydreigon, as outrunning the rare-but-present Choice Scarf Haxorus is more valuable than 12 or 8 EVs invested in HP.
no not the choice scarf set, the modest life orb set. 252 in speed gives speed ties with suicine, nidoking, hera, and kingdra (assuming they running max speed evs and + speed natures) among others but they're the main ones, who with the exception of suicine (who you shouldnt stay in against) have no business switcing in against. i think that 40 speed evs would be better invested in hp, it means you can outrun the base 80s by a single point (285 compared to 284 of the base 80s, and in between there's only gyarados which might be seen). and there's a fair amount of discussion on it in the hydreigon thread itself, some going for 192 speed evs, but i wouldnt go that far.

well what i'm wondering is why you'd run max speed on the life orb set and why you'd run 192 on the specs set.

PK, I'm not QC, obviously, so I don't have a say in it, but I think Focus Blast deserves a slash with U-Turn.

Because let's face it, you'd be running Focus Blast solely for Tyranitar, everything else that's important is hit harder by Fire Blast or DM (barring Terrakion, who OHKOes you anyway). While a Tar slayer is always great, I hardly think one Pokemon deserves the entire slot, as you do have 5 teammates.

I mean, it's up to you, but I can really just see it as a slash.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Yeah I'm agreeing with PK's QC change. Taunt really does nothing for Hydreigon, as Blissey/Chansey still beat you with Seismic Toss. Dark Pulse is really helpful against Burunguru and Reuniclus, as well as being a good fallback STAB move, so that should be there. Surf does nothing that Focus Blast doesn't besides hit 100% of the time yet miss out on some important KOs.
name: Life Orb
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Focus Blast / U-turn
item: Life Orb
nature: Modest
ability: Levitate
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
  • Outrage should get an AC mention (with a Mild nature) to crush Chansey/Blissey since Taunt is worthless against them.
  • Mention the use of a Timid nature to outrun Timid Rotom-A / Jolly Darmanitan / Nidoking / Jolly Haxorus / Adamant Terrakion (you dont have to name all of them).
  • Mention Flamethrower over Fire Blast.
I really do apologize that you'll have to change the analysis a bit, but the metagame has changed since this was written and the QC team agrees on it. If you still want to talk about it however people are always welcome to speak in #QC.

I have to ask, what good is U-turn doing on the Life Orb set? Dark Pulse is way too important for offering a STAB that doesn't force you out after you use it, and it pummels all the Ghost- and Psychic types running around. U-tuen should just be mentioned in AC IMO. I also belive Expert Belt could get a small mention somehwere for perserving Hyderigon's great bulk.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't understand why there isn't even a mention of physical moves in this analysis. Not even in OO? There's a mixed set in OO suggesting Outrage and Crunch but it basically says that it's not worth running.

Hydreigon has a very usable 105 Attack stat and a great physical movepool to back it up. Not to mention that most of its counters are wrecked by physical moves, especially all of the ones you listed. It gets Outrage, Earthquake, Head Smash, STAB Crunch, all three elemental Fangs, and U-turn...with Fire Blast to back it up. I think these moves deserve to at least be mentioned in OO in the analysis, especially if you're going out of your way to mention a mixed set already.

Thanks a lot for clarifying, Delta 2777. I will re-write the LO set, and modify the Other Options section based on j7r's recommendation. I shall also beef up the analysis a little bit, since it isn't exactly in-depth. Once I am done, I shall ask a member of the GP team to just brush this up to ensure that it is ready to go on-site. Hydreigon is a pretty important Pokemon, so I am giving this analysis top priority over my GP work.

Bump. Apologies for the double post, but I have beefed up the analysis and made the changes suggested by j7r and Delta 2777. This analysis needs one last GP Check before it is done.

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Changes in bold
Removals in red
Comments in bold red

[Overview]

<p>With a fantastic movepool, wonderful mixed attacking stats, and nice base 92 / 90 / 90 defenses, Hydreigon is a Pokemon to watch out for. It can switch in easily using its good defenses and Levitate, and then punch holes in the opponent's team. It is also one of the few Pokemon who can effectively counter the common Ferrothorn + Jellicent defensive core. However, Hydreigon is severely hampered by its odd 98 base Speed, which leaves it outsped by a host of Pokemon. Dark / Dragon is not a great defensive typing either, as Hydreigon's it gives it unwanted weaknesses to Fighting- and Bug-type attacks. Still, underestimate Hydreigon at your own peril, as it can easily plough through entire teams if given even the slightest chance to do so.</p>

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Focus Blast / U-turn
item: Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With its massive base 125 Special Attack, wide movepool, and reasonable bulk, Hydreigon is the ideal candidate for a Life Orb set. Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse are Hydreigon's STAB attacks, hitting commonly used Pokemon such as Jellicent and Reuniclus hard. However, Draco Meteor should not be used recklessly, since the resulting Special Attack drop will force Hydreigon to switch out and give the opponent a free turn. Fire Blast smacks the Steel-types switching into a predicted Draco Meteor, meaning that Hydreigon can serve as a great check to Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory.</p>

<p>There are 2 options for the last moveslot. Focus Blast gives Hydreigon perfect coverage, and allows it to demolish Tyranitar and Heatran hard, OHKOing all but the most specially defensive versions. Heatran also walls Hydreigon's other moves completely, making Focus Blast all the more useful. On the other hand, U-turn makes Hydreigon an effective scout, and also enables it to weaken special walls such as Blissey and Chansey before switching to a counter.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is a very simple one: 252 EVs are invested in Special Attack and Speed, enabling Hydreigon to hit hard and fast. The remaining 4 EVs are invested in HP. A Modest nature is preferred, amping up Hydreigon's already massive Special Attack. However, Timid can be used to outrun Jolly Darmanitan and, more importantly, Jolly Haxorus. Since U-turn is meant primarily for scouting, the Attack drop from using a Modest nature is of little consequence.</p>

<p>The biggest problems for this set are that the pink blobs, Chansey and Blissey, who wall it to the moon and back. All that Hydreigon can do is weaken them with U-turn and switch out. For this reason, Fighting-types such as Terrakion and Trick users such as Starmie make great teammates for Hydreigon. Terrakion can eliminate Chansey and Blissey with its powerful STAB Fighting-type attacks. Starmie can also permanently cripple the aforementioned special walls with Trick. Despite having Fire Blast, Hydreigon will have problems dealing with Steel-types if it has already lowered its Special Attack with Draco Meteor. The removal of Steel-types also allows Hydreigon to spam Draco Meteor more freely without worrying about being forced out. For this reason, Magnezone makes a great teammate, as it can trap and KO Skarmory and Ferrothorn with Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Fire, respectively.</p>

<p>Hydreigon also has a few alternative moves which it can run on this set. Outrage can be used with a Mild nature to 2HKO Chansey and Blissey. However, Hydreigon will get locked into Outrage and cannot switch out, meaning Steel-types such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn can freely set up on it. If Fire Blast's imperfect accuracy is an issue, Flamethrower can be used instead, though Hydreigon will lose out on a lot of power in that case. Dragon Pulse can also be used instead of Draco Meteor to grant Hydreigon a lot more staying power, but Hydreigon will miss the presence of a powerful STAB move which allows it to hit extemely hard before switching out or fainting. Finally, Expert Belt is also an option to feign a Choice item, allowing Hydreigon to lure in and KO Steel-types.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 2: Dragon Pulse
move 3: Flamethrower
move 4: Surf / U-turn
item: Choice Specs
evs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to hit as hard as possible with Hydreigon's huge base 125 Special Attack, which is further boosted by Choice Specs. Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse allow Hydreigon hit very hard while also maintaining reliability. Flamethrower decimates bulky Steel-types such Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Once again, there are two options for the last moveslot. Surf has a high chance of OHKOing most Heatran, who will otherwise wall this set and possibly gain a Flash Fire boost by switching into a predicted Flamethrower. On the other hand, U-turn maintains offensive pressure. Both moves can be run on the same set, but this is not advised, as it requires the removal of one of Hydreigon's primary moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The 64 HP EVs help Hydreigon take Mach Punch from Adamant Conkeldurr, along with other strong priority attacks. 192 Speed EVs give Hydreigon 280 Speed, enabling it to outspeed all neutral base 90 Speed Pokemon and lower. With Choice Specs and a Modest nature, 252 Special Attack EVs give Hydreigon a huge 576 Special Attack. However, if you wish for Hydreigon to outspeed Jolly Haxorus and tie with other Timid Hydreigon, run a Timid nature and 252 Speed EVs.</p>

<p>Choice Specs Hydreigon punches holes in the opponent's team, allowing a fast sweeper such as Starmie to clean up the remains. However, you need to need to eliminate Blissey and Chansey to let this set reach maximum potential. Powerful Fighting-types such as Terrakion and Conkeldurr thus make great teammates, since they can dispose of the aforementioned special walls with their STAB Fighting-type attacks. Steel-types such as Skarmory will also pose a major problem for Hydreigon, as Hydreigon cannot switch attacks unlike the Life Orb set. They can freely switch into any of Hydreigon's attacks barring Flamethrower, and set up. Magnezone is thus recommended as a teammate, since it can eliminate Steel-types with ease.</p>

<p>Dark Pulse is an option over Surf and U-turn, if only for the STAB Hydreigon gains from it. It also hits Jellicent, Dusclops, and Reuniclus hard, but Hydreigon is hard-pressed for moveslots already. Earth Power can also be used instead of Surf, but its only purpose is to hit both Heatran and Empoleon for super effective damage. Surf is generally the better option, as it offers better coverage overall. Getting locked into Earth Power is also a very bad idea, as it will potentially give the opponent a free turn to set up.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Timid

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Scarf Hydreigon can function as an effective revenge killer thanks to its great movepool. Draco Meteor is Hydreigon's primary STAB move, and will severely dent or OHKO a large number of Pokemon. Fire Blast has excellent coverage with Draco Meteor, finishing off any Steel-type Pokemon who switch in to wall Hydreigon's STAB Dragon-type attacks.</p>

<p>U-turn allows Hydreigon to switch out and scout any switch-ins. Focus Blast is used in the last slot to let Hydreigon hit Heatran, Tyranitar, Porygon2, and Empoleon for super effective damage. Without Focus Blast, Hydreigon will struggle to damage the aforementioned Pokemon significantly since its other attacks are not boosted by its item. For this reason, Focus Blast is preferred over Surf. While this set could use all the power it can get, Flamethrower may be used instead of Fire Blast if Fire Blast's inaccuracy is worrisome.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>252 EVs are invested both in Speed and Special Attack, while the remaining 4 EVs are put in HP. A Timid nature helps Hydreigon outspeed Jolly Choice Scarf Haxorus, along with Adamant Choice Scarf Garchomp. Since U-turn is meant mainly for scouting purposes, the Attack drop from using a Timid nature is not an issue. Using either a Hasty or a Naive nature will lower Hydreigon's defenses, and is thus not advised.</p>

<p>Dragon Pulse can be used as a reliable STAB option instead of having to rely on Draco Meteor as Hydreigon's only Dragon-type STAB attack. A moveslot for the same can be created by dropping U-turn. However, keep in mind that Hydreigon will lose the ability to scout switch-ins and maintain offensive pressure, which is important on just about any Pokemon with a Choice Scarf. Special walls such as Blissey and Jellicent will wall this set cold, weathering Hydreigon's unboosted attacks with absolute ease. A stallbreaker such as Thundurus will thus make a great teammate for Hydreigon, as it can deal with the aforementioned walls with a combination of Taunt and either Hammer Arm or Thunderbolt. Once again, Steel-types can set up on Hydreigon provided they avoid Fire Blast while switching in. Thus, Magnzeone also makes a good teammate, as it can trap and finish off Skarmory and Ferrothorn easily.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Hydreigon has the defenses to run a bulky support set consisting of Thunder Wave, Dragon Tail, Taunt, and Substitute with a defensive EV spread, but it would be a waste of its offensive potential. Moreover, such a set would face severe competition from Multiscale Dragonite, who has better defensive stats and access to Roost. However, such a set would work well with entry hazard support.</p>

<p>Charge Beam is an option to boost Hydreigon's Special Attack and attempt a sweep, but its inaccuracy can cause issues. Moreover, the SpA boost is not a guaranteed one. Hydreigon also has a usable base 105 Attack, along with a physical movepool consisting of Crunch, Outrage, Earthquake, and Head Smash. It can put these physical options to great effect by surprising its normal counters and running a mixed set.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Hydreigon's counters are few and far between, as with its good defensive stats, Hydreigon can take just about any neutral hit, (remove comma) and retaliate with a strong attack. However, its weakness to common Fighting-type attacks and average Speed will ultimately be the bane of its existence. With its typing and Flash Fire, Heatran walls Hydreigon lacking Surf, and can 2HKO Hydreigon with Dragon Pulse. Special walls such as Chansey and Jellicent can easily wall the Choice sets, and wear down Hydreigon with Seismic Toss and Ice Beam, respectively.</p>

<p>Specially defensive Conkeldurr can take any attack which Hydreigon throws at it barring Choice Specs Draco Meteor, and KO Hydreigon with a combination of Drain Punch and Mach Punch. Speedy Fighting-types such as Infernape and Terrakion can exploit Hydreigon's average Speed and KO it with their powerful STAB attacks. However, these Pokemon have to be careful when they switch into Hydreigon, since they will take massive damage from Draco Meteor.</p>

(3/3)

I'd like to suggest an alternative specs set...

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs/life orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower

I've tested this heavily and find it works great. I mean it requires prediction, but what choiced set doesn't? Life orb is always an option. as you stated, dark pulse, when supereffective, hits harder than neutral Draco meteor. flamethrower for when you think ferrethorn or the like come in. draco meteor on anything neutral. where this set differs is that surf is 100% accurate move that KO's heatran and a lot of other pokes. It also gives you a strong option in the rain, essentially giving it stab. coming off 529 (IIRC) special attack, not much resists it. I use this myself so I know it's viable, it's a huge part in the recent success on the OU ladder on PO.

I prefere to use nieve nature on Hydreigon. Alhtough it has good defences it will still die from most special attacks anyways ( unless you sre running a defensive set which would fail) and u - turn can still do decent damage to Tyranitar so in some cases u nieve is a better option over timid for speed.

Uh, well actually Hydreigon can survive some surprising hits from pokemon with its decently bulky stats around the spectrum. But all in all making Naive a main nature is pretty darn dumb considering most sets are choiced as is and the ones that are not would not be able to do anything to Tyranitar anyways because of the moves they'd carry. U-turn has never been about the damage but for the scouting ability.

Dragon Pulse should probably be slashed in the LO set, to be used WITH Draco Meteor, not instead of it(over Dark Pulse). It's great to have dual Dragon STAB, and to be able to use it without being forced to switch out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)