How I lost in the first Round (A Seattle VGC Warstory)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, considering I'm like a huge part of this war story, I might as well post.

Like I said on Skarmbliss, it was nice to meet and battle against you. Like a lot of people were saying it's a shame we battled so early on. It's unfortunate since the entire chain of events was influenced because I decided to cut in line (see Yeti's comment in her warstory). Also there was a guy that was paired up with me but he chickened out and went to another station because I beat him twice in the "King of the Hill" side event before the tournament. So yeah, just saying that it was really bad luck and kinda my fault =O. I ended up fighting Fish (2nd place player) in round 3 so pairings sucked for me later on too.

As for the battle, I double teamed the Pokemon that got critted so it was definitely dead, but the other could have dented one of my Pokemon pretty bad so it might have gone differently. (Explaining a battle and still maintaining secrecy is so weird) Oh, and don't worry about the talking during the match. I would have responded more because I'm a big chatter when I want to be, but I was just "in that zone" I always get into when I battle.

Big ups to you and hope to see you at the LCQ.

Fish got one crit on BI in the 4-0 loss.
2 crits but he had the game from turn 1 anyway.

And Rodrigo, big ups to you too man. Good practice matches and good chattin with you. I'm the dreadlocks guy who had the white jacket (and later on a skull shirt).

@ BadIntent

I haven't checked Skarmbliss. 80

It's okay. I'm obviously a bit miffed, but it was all in good fun.

Yeah, your first move sort of weirded me out. I expected something totally different- I think I told you what I expected while we were playing? I second guessed myself and tried to play it safe. Looking back, if I had done what I had intended to do (gang up on the pokemon that delivered the crit first turn) then I may have been able to pull off a win. But who knows. 80

My 'in the zone' consists of me not thinking as rationally as I would in regular wifi battles. And I don't think I'll be at the LCQ, thanks to my parents both working. Knowing my dad, he'll secretly try to pull it off, so nothing about my team will be revealed yet.

By Rodrigo do you mean the blue-coat guy?

@ BadIntent

I haven't checked Skarmbliss. 80

It's okay. I'm obviously a bit miffed, but it was all in good fun.

Yeah, your first move sort of weirded me out. I expected something totally different- I think I told you what I expected while we were playing? I second guessed myself and tried to play it safe. Looking back, if I had done what I had intended to do (gang up on the pokemon that delivered the crit first turn) then I may have been able to pull off a win. But who knows. 80

My 'in the zone' consists of me not thinking as rationally as I would in regular wifi battles. And I don't think I'll be at the LCQ, thanks to my parents both working. Knowing my dad, he'll secretly try to pull it off, so nothing about my team will be revealed yet.

By Rodrigo do you mean the blue-coat guy?
Yeah you told me what you were expecting. I took a big gamble hoping you wouldn't double team first turn actually. Don't trip on it; it's just a rock-paper-scissors prediction thing really.

Give your parents a few extra "pretty please"s like I did today. I just kept saying how important it was to me and my mother agreed to help pay for the trip.

Yep, that guy. We were chatting together for quite a bit because the line was so long and boring for King of the Hill.

Yeah you told me what you were expecting. I took a big gamble hoping you wouldn't double team first turn actually. Don't trip on it; it's just a rock-paper-scissors prediction thing really.

Give your parents a few extra "pretty please"s like I did today. I just kept saying how important it was to me and my mother agreed to help pay for the trip.

Yep, that guy. We were chatting together for quite a bit because the line was so long and boring for King of the Hill.
Hehe, that's what threw me off. I wasn't counting on facing anyone willing to take a gamble, but it looks like it worked out for you.

And cost is no problem, major discounts because my entire family (including moi) work at the Vancouver airport. It's just my dad getting the days off, and losing $400 worth of work that makes it less likely. To take my family, as well as Chinese_dood who may not be able to afford the trip to Nats, it would be about $450 altogether. That saves about $300 for Chinese_dood if he didn't try to get there alone and instead flew on our passes.

Yeah, Rodrigo, Cody (red guy) my friend Ben and I were all waiting in line outside together. They were super cool and made my trip that much better. :)

Yeah but I mean... what is King of the Hill? :D

The only things I can think of by that name are the cartoon and the FPS gametype... eheh. I can only guess it's an American thing. It'd only be like you not knowing what British Bulldogs is I suppose; it sounds like a game of some kind.

At this point, the Smogonites and people I had befriended were all worried about facing each other, and taking each other out. I was personally hoping I'd be paired with crap players until the finals. Eventually, it is my turn to play, and I am directed to table 12. I have a quick glance around looking for Ben and my other buds. No luck. I proceed to the table, put my bag down, and look at my opponent. He says, "You Feathers?" and I was all "Yeah."

"You know who I am?"

My first opponent is BadIntent.

This made me laugh so much dude. I've never lossed vs BI but hes an awesome dude and full respect to you to play a guy like him first round. I really know the feeling dude. :)

Regardless, least you played someone decent and went out admirably eh? Also, I kinda can guess from you log what your team was just because one pokemon dies that usually means somebody who is gonna do X.

This made me laugh so much dude. I've never lossed vs BI but hes an awesome dude and full respect to you to play a guy like him first round. I really know the feeling dude. :)

Regardless, least you played someone decent and went out admirably eh? Also, I kinda can guess from you log what your team was just because one pokemon dies that usually means somebody who is gonna do X.
Yeah, I just got nervous facing another Smogonite right away. >.>

And no, you probably don't know what my team was. It was one of the abnormal ones. :)

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
What was King of the Hill then? It sounds pretty interesting.
I didn't personally participate but it was a station set up to the side. One battle goes on at a time, winner stays on, loser leaves. When the winner wins five times in a row, both player go off. I'm not sure if there was a prize or not. The announcer did announce the names of some of the people who won 5 in a row. It didn't seem like that many people managed to win 5 in a row. I think there were only 3 by the halfway point in the day. I'm not sure what the battle format was, I think it was VGC2010 format.

Yep, it was VGC 2010. I HIGHLY suggest playing in it if you've never played in a VGC before. It completely kills the nerves you would have gotten in round 1 of the actual tournament. By the time it was time for round 1 I was like, "I've done this 5 times already. My pregame jitters have been gone for over two hours".

Yep, it was VGC 2010. I HIGHLY suggest playing in it if you've never played in a VGC before. It completely kills the nerves you would have gotten in round 1 of the actual tournament. By the time it was time for round 1 I was like, "I've done this 5 times already. My pregame jitters have been gone for over two hours".
Thanks for that information. I might end up doing that if it helps calm the nerves before the actual tournament. It is my first VGC, so...

So what exactly is KotH for Pokemon? Do you just battle people outside the tournament and get as many wins as possible from everyone (just walking around maybe... asking for matches like a creeper). Or is it like an organized thing? Thanks. ;]

You stand in a line. Early on it's not very long but it gets really long later. When I first got there there were only two people in line so I just watched. But at like 10:30 there was a line of like 17 people. The KOTH is just like the VGC. It goes like this:

In the building TPCi has a station set up on the side with two DS Lites connected to a machine. You line up to battle and when you get to the front, you plug your cart into the machine that is identical to the one they use in the actual tournament. There's a big screen right there showing the game so everyone in line can watch the battles so they won't be bored. You win, the staff member working there will make a tally mark on a paper, or use a dice to keep track. If you lose you go to the back of the line (which would suck because battles are about 15 minutes long). If you win you go on. If you get five wins in a row, you're finished and they write your name on a card for the super cool announcer to call out. I'd come into it with the mindset that it's just a five round single elmination VGC tourney.

Also, is king of the hill possibly a bad thing because it takes the surprise factor away from your team. I guess the chances of battling the same person again are kind of low though. Even so, it might be a risk.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wouldn't do it before battling for two reasons:
1) As you mentioned your team is on the big screen
2) You'll probably be in line and if it's earlier you're probably playing mostly juniors which is kinda ruining the fun for them =/

I used a test team. Don't use your real team. And there are going to be lots of juniors but I fought 3 seniors and two juniors.

It's Rodrigo, Blue Jacket guy.
Cool story feathers, been lurking a bit after cody found the warstory thread, and I have to say, great job being cool, you and "lilbeth" were really nice to talk to, and I'm glad you two were in line with Shawn(striped) and Cody. Still wish it wasn't cut short due to a desperate act by a mister pirate/scottish man needing a last minute outrage on a pokemon. I have to say, that battle with whoever "TONI=)!" really got me riled up to battle you, but I never got to battle your test team. I would go to a regionals again, absolutely.

Warstory(little detail): Saw Juniors play, I praised a lot of the parents for bringing their kids to such a memorable event. Pokewalked for hundreds of Choice items. Went into the KOTH line. Met BadIntent, cool guy for sure. Lost to him, honorably. Haha. Was given news that I had to get in line. Got in line with friends. Ate food. Met Feathers and lilBeth. Had fun battling the cool kids. Team Rocket guy. TONY!!!!! Eli needing outrage. Signed up. Got bags. Fought and won against a nice girl using an odd team. Next round started very well, but bad predicting on my part, then critical hits on me, I knew I was going to lose without a miracle about 2/3 into the battle. The guy I battled was nice though, we had a similair team. Looked for Feathers and lilBeth after walking the walk of shame and meeting up with my two buds. Didn't find anyone until I saw BadIntent one last time before some last minute sight seeing of Seattle.

BadIntent first round, total bummer! My poor friend Shawn battled the myth that is a "Pokedad", and lost due to luck in my opinion.

Really wish I had gone to VGC's before, everyone is extremely nice at tournaments, pokewalkers really break the ice.
Serious props to you, lilbeth and BadIntent for being interesting. The lines would've killed me without you guys.

@slax

Hey dude, nice to see you around!

Lilbeth aka Ben has an account here if you want to friend him. Lilbeth, of course. xD I don't understand his name either.

lol @piratescottish man. He confused me but seemed to know what he was doing. I don't know if he lurks here or if he's a Smogonite or something. I know he wants to sign up for the tutor program on here...

TONYYYYY WHO WAS HE. HE IS MYSTERY TRAINER TONY. TOP PERCENTAGE OF RATTATAS.

Do you have wifi? We could battle VGC teams or something. 80

And that has to be the shortest warstory ever, even shorter than Yeti's, and hers was just about beating some little kid and some other dude's Mamoswine. I wish I could have stayed a bit longer to find you guys after, but we had to get back home the same day and such. Of course if I knew how to drive, then I could have driven myself back whenever, but I am lazy and barely have my Learners permit. >.>

Yeah, I was wowed when I went last year. I know a few people who were worried about the whole over-competitive vibe we seem to give out, but everyone is so kind about losing/and or beating the crap out of you. Lots of good sportsmanship all around. Though last year some guy's dad was chatting it up with my dad, and he remarked "oh look, my son is facing a girl. Easy win, yeah?"

It was totally me who was battling his son, and I lost due to hax and Destiny Bond. D:

Anyways, it was coolness to meet you. I hope to see you there next year. :)
And around on Smogon, of course.

Yo Feathers, nice warstory.
Living over in Ireland is a bit of a major pain because the last tournament thay had over here was probably back in the R/B/Y days when they were giving out (holy crap) event Mews!
The closest VGC to me would be Birmingham and it's just not feasible this year to go over, so it's great to hear a first-person account of what went on. Hard luck in your trials but at the end of the day you can't predict everything the game is going to throw at you, and although I've done a lot of lurking before even signing up, I'm not too familiar with usernames, but my impressions are that BadIntent is a pretty solid opponent and you should still feel pretty stoked about it otherwise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)