ORAS OU (Hopefully) Balanced Team 1400+

Preview

Introduction

Hello guys, the formation of this team is to simply beat the opponent. It dosen't consist of a certain win condition, but the goal is just to slowly grind out the opponent through better prediction as well as available counters to my opponent.
The team

Kyurem-Black @ Expert Belt
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 60 HP/ 44 Atk / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Kyurem-b is a complete beast in todays meta, and my goal of the team is to play around him.
Its main function is to beat volt turn teams, but overall just being a hard hitter in general. The only odd move is HP fire which aims to lure both Scizor and Ferrothorn, as the rest of my team may struggle to counter them.
The EVs are to outspeed positive base 70's with 60 HP in HP and Mild nature to avoid OHKO from Charizard Y in Sun.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

With the prevalence of the Lati twins, Tyranitar forms a huge role in being able to successfully counter these mons. Ice beam is mainly for garchomp and lando-t, stone edge for stab and superpower to kill ferrothorns as well as heatran.
The EV set may seem weird, but my main goal of tyranitar is to become a special tank, being able to absorb special attacks with ease. Below are examples of just how high its special defence is
+4 252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 312-368 (91.2 - 107.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 239-286 (69.8 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
With the tyranitar and kyurem-b set, starmie is designed to become a spinner for kyurem-b as well as being a solid check for keldeo lacking any dodgy hidden powers. Thunderbolt is used to take on extremely bulky waters such as mega-slowbro. Recover is used on the last slot to increase longetivity.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost
I felt like this team needed a revenge killer as well as a win condition, and sharp beak talonflame was the only answer i could find. Its moveset and EV's are self explanitory with jolly nature and max speed aimed to (hopefully) outspeed opposing talonflames.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Hammer Arm
Looking at the team, i felt i lacked a decent fairy switchin as well as a general physical hard hitter, so M-Metagross was my answer. Meteor Mash/Zen Headbutt for stabs, Ice punch for the ever present garchomp and lando-t and the last move is hammer arm to hit heatran and ferrothorn, whilst still making most of tough claws.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
On a final look at my team, i realised that i had no switchins to lopunny/any decent physical attacker. Initially i had experimented with lando-t and garchomp, but the team was extremely weak to fast-ice types like weavile, so i had to stick with hippowdon. Stealth rock, slack off and earthquake are explanatory, and i use whirlwind in the last slot as this team has no particular way to deal with set-up sweepers like scizor if my talonflame was dead. Full defence is used to tank any decent physical attacks. Sand force is used to make the most of tyranitar's sand.

Threatlists
Umbreon/Sableye (bulky dark types) - sets running foul/play toxic/recover just screws over this team
Breloom - nobody in this team wants to be spored, and no realistic switchin, but it can be revenge killed
Hoopa Unbound- who knows what set its running.
Bulky Waters - Mega Slowbro, quagsire etc. - only starmie can deal with it, otherwise it just stalls the entire team
Tornadus t running hurricane, uturn, superpower heatwave - i have no real switch ins.

Import

EVs: 60 HP / 44 Atk / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Starmie @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off
- Earthquake

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Hammer Arm

Last edited:
Hey, really nice team however it have some flaws but i'll try to fix them.

The team have problem with Charizard-Y since Tyranitar isn't an choice scarf variant and Talonflame isn't the spedef one. Keldeo is also an big threat since your only check to it (Starmie) is used with an offensive set which isn't good on an balanced team. Hoopa-U is one of the best balance breaker of the tier, your team have some problem to switch on him.

First, i'd suggest to use Choice Scarf over Assault Vest on Tyranitar, why ? because Assault Vest isn't really important since you already have an huge special defense thanks to its natural bulk and Sand Storm, which give him an 1,5 boost. Choice Scarf allow you to work as an better check to Lati@s which hurt your team, Gengar which is another problem for balanced team, Charizard-Y too, Hoopa-U since even if he don't have an dark weakness, he don't like strong physical move from physical attacker due to its poor physical defensive bulk. Also, Serperior is already checked very well by Talonflame

Since now, you have an good check to Charizard-Y, you don't have to use some hp ev on Kyurem-B. Just use 244 Ev Speed to outspeed positive base 80 s which include like M-Altaria, Gardevoir, Hoopa-U, Dragonite and Mamoswine.

I'd recommend to use an defensive set on Starmie, it will allow you to have an better check to Keldeo and to work as an better spinner since without leftovers, you will struggle to spin against some kind of teams.

I'd suggest to change the Hippowdon set a little bit, make it mixed in order to avoid some 2HKO from electric attacker (LO Thundurus, M-Manectric) from Hidden Power Ice, Stone Edge over Whirlwind is an option too since you will work as an another Talonflame check (since defensive variant will most of time directly Will o wisp you, its send Hippowdon because you will don't like to have an burned Tyranitar since burn is not a big deal for Hippowdon).

I think an Specially Defensive on Talonflame would fite better on your team since its an balanced one, Specially Defensive set allow you to have an secondary check to Charizard-X (pivoting between Tyranitar and Talonflame to avoid being OHKO'd by Focus Blast for exemple), Gengar, M-Gardevoir and M-Altaria.

I'd recommed to use Grass Knot over Ice Punch on Metagross (or even Hammer Arm), because your team have an easier time to weaken Garchomp and Landorus-T.

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Grass Knot

EVs: 12 Atk / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Hasty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower / Ice Beam

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Recover

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Bulk Up / Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge / Whirlwind

Changes in short :

M-Metagross (Set)
Kyurem-B (Set)
Starmie (Set)
Tyranitar (Set)
Talonflame (Set)
Hippowdon (Set)

Hope i helped

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)