Monotype HO Grass (~1650)

Introduction

Welcome to this new RMT! Grass is a really cool type but I found it a bit underwhelming that 5 members on the typical grass team are already set, leaving little room for creativity and uniqueness. For this reason, I wanted to create a more offense-oriented team that strays away from the grass archetypes but at the same time, more importantly, is also very fun to use as well as at least passable to score a few wins. For this reason, when commenting on the team, please keep in mind that it is mostly made for fun and I would appreciate if all advice would aim to improve the team without changing the general idea too much.

Teambuilding Process

A pokemon that I always wanted to use but never really found room for either on typical grass or ground, was torterra. With decent attack and access to stone edge and earthquake, it can hit types that grass may struggle against and so I wanted to give him at least a try.

Unfortunatelly, grass pokemon are generally not known to be the fastest. To fix this issue, I added leavanny, providing sticky webs and opening the door to build a real HO team.

Next, a sort of strong sweeper was needed. Serperior has the wonderful ability contrary to boost itself with every leafstorm. Furthermore, it is pretty fast and takes advantage of opponents trying to clear the field of webs and rocks.

But webs will not always work and grass still struggles vs certain foes such as celesteela. To counter such opponents, I wanted to add a second layer of speedy attack, namely utility whimsicott and chlorophyll venusaur.

Lastly, I needed to be able to hit specially bulky mons which torterra might not be able to handle. Here, my choice fell on breloom and its impressive 130 base atk stat.

The Team

Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Magic Coat
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade​

In many matchups, leavanny is my typical and preferred lead, bring out the webs as soon as possible. As speed and typing aren't amazing, a sash secures to at least get sticky webs up before fainting. Of course, anyone looking at this team can spot the webs lead right away and for this reason, Leavanny carries magic coat to shut opposing taunters and hazard setters down. As leavanny isn't exactly meant to survive long, EVs are invested in atk and speed with leaf blade as STAB move to hit certain leads such as diancie reasonably hard. Knockoff allows to weaken unsuspecting foes such as chansey or alola-muk by removing their items. Overcoat rpevents fainting due to sand/hail.

Whimsicott @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sunny Day
- Memento
- Encore
- Moonblast​

Next up is a second supporting member of this team. Whimsicott sports a great ability in prankster, giving priority to all status moves. As mentioned above, the team contains a weather component and whimsicott is the probably best weather setter grass has access to thanks to priority, strengthened by heat rock for even more sun. Depending on the state of the game, whimsicott can then sacrifice itself to create an opening for my setup sweeper with memento. If sun isn't needed or helpful, whimsicott may also fulfil other roles, e.g. by shutting down opposing set up sweepers with priority-boosted encore. Moonblast ensures to not be full taunt-bait and is a great asset in the dragon and dark matchups. Perhaps investing in some bulk to give it a little longevity might be useful to really set sun and click memento afterwards but so far, the spa prove itself to be quite crucial in the dragon matchup. I also thought about running defog as opposing hazards can be very dangerous, but thanks to webs (and rocks) opponents usually do the defogging for me.

Venusaur @ Normalium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Energy Ball/Earthquake/Giga Drain
- Growth
- Hidden Power [Fire]​

If I have sun, I also need a sun-sweeper, right? Because of that, a storng chlorophyll mon was needed, but unfortunately most chlorophyll pokemon are either rather weak or lack the necessary coverage. My choice fell on venusaur, as it was the most well-rounded option available. This venusaur has several move set options but suffers from the typical 4 move syndrome. Nonetheless, it can generally perform quite well and the heart of the set is Z-growth, boosting spa by 3 and atk by 2 stages in sunlight. Sludge bomb is the most crucial STAB move, hitting many opponents hard. Secondly, HP fire is a great asset in the steel and flying matchups, allowing to outspeed and remove many threats. The last moveslot has several options and I am still experimenting. Giga drain allows to recover some health while energy ball and max spa is the only option to get past toxapex on water teams. With some atk investment, +2 earthquake is also an option, threatening many frailer fire and poison pokemon. Current EV spread maximises special attack, while assuring to outspeed 110 speed scarfers such as latios in sun with the rest dumped in HP for a little extra bulk.

Serperior @ Bright Powder
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Taunt​

A second strong special attacker was added to take advantage of the webs. Serperior is capable of breaking through walls by boosting its own spa with each consecutive hit. As a second attack, HP ground was chosen. The main reason for this is that the current venusaur moveset is lacking earthqake, which means that venusaur is generally walled by heatran. Serperior is thus capable of easing this matchup. The combination of substitute and taunt allows to take advantage of predicted switchins and to fully wall stall sets as well as to prevent losing its stat boosts to haze. The item is admittedly is a joke and perhaps something like leftovers might be more reliable. But in combination with raised evasion thanks to defog or simply by clicking substitute until a fireblast misses, it has proven itself to be at least sort of viable.

Torterra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer​

With this, I am still lacking physical attackers as well as entry hazards. As outlined above, I really wanted to use torterra and I first attempted to make it work with rock polish or sword dance sets but they simply didn't work out in most cases. Instead, I opted for its 3 strongest attacks to deal as much damage as possible. Furthermore, it can provide stealth rocks which are crucial in, for example, the flying matchup. By running a sash, I can use torterra as an emergency attacker, stopping dangerous foes such as dragonite, greninja or kyurem-b. While woodhammer seems counter-intuitive in combination with a sash, the combination works out reasonably well as woodhammer usually either removes the opponent (if i move first) or hits even harder thanks to overgrow followed by suicide if I move last. The speed investment allows to make use of the sticky webs, outspeeding/tying everything up to 108 base speed.

Breloom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Superpower​

Lastly, I needed more physical raw power with the main options being Tapu Bulu and Breloom. As steel is a generally difficult matchup for grass, I decided to go with breloom which provides STAB fighting moves. The typical breloom set includes spore, maybe SD and is often sashed but I already have 2 sashes, which led to me to look for other options. I thought, it might be funny to try out a scarf and surprise opposing threats such as charizard y, volcarona or landorus-i with speedy attacks. I opted for an adamant nature as scarfed jolly breloom reaches 393, just missing the crucial mark to outspeed tapu koko or aerodactyl. In between, the only relevant threats would be weavile (which is rarely seen) and greninja, which can be (kind of) stopped otherwise. Bluffing the sash is an additional interesting element, as many people expect to require two hits for breloom, hence switching out an initial threat and getting punished for it later on.

Tough matchups
A few match ups have emerged as more difficult than others and those are listed below:

Fire: I first played a physical venusaur variant, making fire a quite possible game but unfortunately resulting in bad matchups elsewhere. Without dedicated atk investment on venusaur, fire is a big threat.

Flying: Flying is very versatile and here it depends greatly on the composition of the flying team. Breaking mantine can be a pain and if celesteela gets going, I am also in trouble. But generally, it is a possible matchup.

Poison: The combination of a-muk, toxapex and m-venusaur is very difficult to break and the element of surprise is what truly helps in this matchup. Venusaur can do no sweeping here but instead must act as a wallbreaker to remove either m-venusaur or toxapex (or a-muk if carrying eq) before going down itself. If the defensive core can be broken, torterra, breloom and serperior have a chance to use that gap in the defence to score the win. And of course, a scarfed nihilego may just claim a kill each turn once its checks are removed or weakened.

Ice: This is probably not surprising, as ice hits me hard and hail additionally interferes with a potential sun sweep. Not running defog also means that I cannot get rid of aurora veil.

Dragon: Here, the first few turns often decide how the match will go. If I can get webs up, whimsicott alone can blast a big hole into the opposing team but dragonite and kyurem remain dangerous. Whether lead-garchomp tries to set rocks or attacks leavanny right away, is an important part of the game.

Replays

Conclusion
I hope this fun little take on the grass monotype was an enjoyable read. Of course, I am aware that this is far from perferct but I think it is a very fun and surprising ladder team, sporting at least moderate success. If you'd like to give it a try, feel free to take the paste below and if you want me to add any calcs or replays, just say so in a comment. Any tips or ideas are welcome!

Whimsicott @ Heat Rock
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Memento
- Encore
- Moonblast

Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overcoat
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Magic Coat
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade

Breloom @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Superpower

Serperior @ Bright Powder
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Taunt

Venusaur @ Normalium Z
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Energy Ball
- Growth
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Torterra @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Wood Hammer

Last edited:
Hi Saezu I do like the creativeness of your team, and we rarely see a form of Hyper Offensive Grass. I do have quite a few suggestions to optimize your Offensive Grass team for your own benefit. I will of course keep the general structure/playstyle of the team in mind when suggesting changes.

To start things off, for the Pokemon that do not fit I feel as though Pokemon like Leavanny and Torterra are not worth it as slots on your team as they only fulfill one purpose each. Leavanny can get up a Sticky Web however that really is not needed quite frankly. Torterra is your Stealth Rock user, however I don't see much use of it outside of that, nor is it the best offensive Stealth Rock user out there.

First off, I decided to change your Breloom set from Choice Scarf to Swords Dance Rockium Z as this Pokemon can be a fearsome wallbreaker once it gets a boost. For example, it's able to break through Celsteela with +2 Z-Stone Edge with very little chip damage. Swords Dance Breloom just turns the tide in your favour in matchups such as Steel and Ice as +2 Mach Punch OHKOS everything on Ice and Dents through Steel, not to mention the obvious Normal matchup.

Next I would suggest to tweak your sun sweeping Venusaur set. Since your Z-Move is now being used on Breloom, and Z-Growth really is not beneficial (turns +2 SpA into +3 SpA in the Sun) as other Z slots, I decided to change the item to Life Orb to boost the power of moves like Sludge Bomb, as +2 Life Orb Sludge Bomb can OHKO and outspeed Pokemon like Choice Scarf Latios (+2 252 SpA Life Orb Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 292-344 (97 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO). You will also get setup opportunities and plenty of Sun turns to work with thanks to Whimsicott's utility moves.

Celebi is a far better offensive Stealth Rock user than Torterra, and can aid in the Poison matchup as it can punch holes through the aforementioned Venusaur-Toxapex-Muk core. Nasty Plot can be used to take advantage of a switch and can allow the wallbreaking to occur utilizing Expert Belt boosted Psychic and Earth Power.

You mentioned struggling vs Dragon Teams and thats where Mega Sceptile comes in. Being able to outspeed and OHKO the likes of Garchomp, Kyurem-Black, Dragonite, Kommo-o, Hydreigon, and Latios (if it is not Choice Scarf) with a single Dragon Pulse as long as Stealth Rock is up, deems value towards the team. It also can act as a Steel-killer alongside Breloom as it can carry Focus Blast and Earthquake as it sports a good Attack stat as well. It's bolstering 145 base Speed is a great addition to a HO team

Lastly the team lacks a Choice Scarf user and thats where I would suggest using Choice Scarf Serperior as it can be a late game win condition pulling off a Leaf Storm sweep, or can provide utility with Glare. As for the last two move slots Serperior can provide a lot more utility with choices like Dragon Pulse to aid Mega Sceptile and Whimsicott in cleaning Dragon teams late game, Defog to get rid of any Toxic Spikes, or any hazard stacking in general, Knock Off to get rid of any sort of items such as Eviolite on Chansey, or any sort of Hidden Power such as Fire or Steel.

I know I suggested a lot of changes for your Hyper Offensive Grass team, however I did stick to the basis of the team being what you wanted as a Hyper Offensive archetype, and and I believe this team would have far more success with these changes implemented as they improve your matchups you have trouble with and improve vs the overall meta.

I really enjoyed viewing this outlook on Grass, and hope you have success with the team! Here are the sets below

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Earthquake

Breloom @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Stone Edge

Celebi @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Nasty Plot

Serperior @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Defog / Knock Off
- Dragon Pulse / Knock Off / Hidden Power Fire

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Growth
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Whimsicott @ Heat Rock
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Memento
- Moonblast
- Encore

I don't know how mentioning peope works on this forum but thanks for the input Splashbrutha! I tried your version of the team and I would say it is equally good, perhaps better once I get used to it. It certainly plays differently and some of your suggestions really put in the work as you proposed, e.g. SD Z-breloom just destroys dark (I didn't fight ice yet) and the dragon game became easier as well. Celebi is a bit hard to use, but I guess I will figure it out. Without webs, some new problems arise though, for example it is more difficult to play around a-raichu and specs kingdra now. Poison was impossible but that might have been due to scarf nido + m-bee.

Below you can find a few replays I just got from the ladder. I updated the RMT with a few replays to show the original team too.
Wins:
Electric https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-949758057
Dark https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-949756922
Water https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-949752556
Dragon https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-949750937

Losses:
Psychic https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-949755091
Poison https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-949754005

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hello Saezu. Your team was rated nicely by Splashbrutha but I want to suggest a different approach with this team. You said that you want to try Hyper Offense Grass with unusual Pokemon, so I will try to stick that as Splash did.

The different approach here will be keeping Sticky Webs and adjust other Pokemon based on that. To quote Splash here, webs are not totally useless but I do agree that it would be useless in a team structure like this one. Here's why: Your entire team is fast already, webs here is just an overkill that you won't greatly benefit from. You have not one, but two speed control tools outside of webs which are sun and tailwind. This is my personal feedback on the matter but I was never fond of non-permanent active battle mechanics, a few examples being Tailwind and Weather Offense teams. The problem simply lies behind that hard anymore to completely dodge these out. Common Protect users like Celesteela and Toxapex can stall the duration of those moves and since these are the mechanics your team relies on you are most likely to struggle. So with that, I will share my thoughts on how you can make Sticky Web work here.

I dont want to suggest any change on your Leavanny set. Magic Coat is a good suprise and may help you to get Stealth Rock along with webs with one single Pokemon, plus Knock Off makes this Pokemon an excellent lead to a Web Offense team.

Changes : Sunny Day, Memento , Tailwind --> Giga Drain, Psychic, U-turn , Heat Rock --> Choice Specs

Moving on with Whimsicott. This Pokemon has perfect Speed to abuse Webs, an acceptable Sp.Atk stat and not bad at all offensive options. Giga Drain and Moonblast are self-explanatory, U-turn lets you preserve momentum as well as switch out on Muk-Alola. Last slot here is optional. I went here with Psychic because it can threaten 2 of the biggest offenders of Grass. Toxapex and opposing Mega Venusaur die to Psychic in 2 hits with very high odds. With Stealth Rock added, both are 2HKO guaranteed. Also, this functions better than Mega Sceptile against Dragon because Sceptile has no effective ways of dealing with Mega Altaria.
Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 178-210 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 178-210 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 154-182 (50.6 - 59.8%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 154-182 (50.6 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Beyond this point, I thought of adding a physically offensive Pokemon. Since you mentioned Torterra, I decided to give it a go.
Torterra @ Rockium Z
Ability: Shell Armor
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
This is a set I've found interesting for use. It has access to EdgeQuake, which is one of the most powerful attack combinations in the Pokemon. Max Speed was given with Jolly nature so after a Rock Polish, you can outspeed a great portion of the metagame. (Notably Tapu Koko and Crobat). This set, in theory, does wonders against Poison-type teams. Get a Rock Polish up, Stone Edge the Crobat and Earthquake rest of the team. Since no Venusaur carries Hidden Power Ice, you have the freedom to boost your Attack with Swords Dance. At +2 you have a very high roll against standard defensive Mega Venusaur and since Nihilego will be stuck with Sticky Web, you are looking at a clean sweep. As a side note, +2 Rockium also invalidates Celesteela after Stealth Rock damage and chips opposing Mega Scizor greatly with +2 Rockium. Also, Earthquake is 2HKO on defensive Mega Scizor.

At this point, I realized this team still needed a Stealth Rock user, so Celebi comes in. Splash explained above how it would work since we have Torterra as our Z user I kept what he suggested originally, a Nasty Plot set with Expert Belt.
Celebi @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Nasty Plot

Next up, I thought of adding a hazard removal for ourselves. This team is extremely susceptible to any form of entry hazard, so we need a Pokemon that can remove those. There is also a chance that our own hazards getting removed, so I looked up and tried to find a Pokemon that can abuse this situation. Serperior comes to mind with its Contrary, if you switch on Defog you can perhaps perform a sweep with your Evasion boost.
Serperior @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Defog
- Dragon Pulse / Hidden Power Fire

This is also similar to what Splash suggested. It has incredible speed and can be used as a speed control tool if your webs ever get removed and you cant set them back up, Leaf Storm is mandatory, I explained Defog above, Glare really helps with the whole Speed control scenario with 100% accurate paralysis spread. I removed Stuff like Knock Off from the suggested spread cuz you won't really use it. Using Defog or Glare will be more important most of time so might as well stick to the basics on this one. Hidden Power Fire is an option and I recommend you consider running it over Dragon Pulse since you have Whimsicott already, you might want alternative ways to deal with Mega Scizor or Ferrothorn.

At this point, we have pretty much everything we are looking for so I decided to give the last slot to a defensive Pokemon with a decent offensive presence.
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
This is a fun set to use. Despite going offensive, Mega Venusaur still has an incredible bug and in a web team this comes clutch. 16 speed lets you outspeed Azumarill ( Incase your webs are gone, otherwise you naturally outspeed it under webs), everything else should be self-explanatory. Hidden Power Fire lets you handle Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn, Sludge Bomb is a powerful STAB move that can occasionally spread poison which is really helpful to offensively oriented teams.

Final team. Click the icons for importable. I hope this helps you \o/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)