Gen 3 Help with my stall w/ tanky ttar team

Hi, I'm new to ADV and have only been playing a couple months but I am loving it. I have a lot more success on ladder with spikeless offense teams but I am trying to learn how to play slower styles. I tried the classic big 5 TSS for a few days but honestly found it kind of unfun - I feel like everyone is ready to counter or cheese it. I found using swampert and blissey to be especially frustrating because they are easily set up on/too passive and chippable. So now I am trying even stallier teams without blissey and swampert. I swapped them for defensive celebi and jirachi. I need spin support for these mons even more than bliss and swamp so I changed gengar for claydol. Finally I saw online that dugtrio is mandatory on these kinds of teams. This is where I am at: https://pokepast.es/dfb63542d3bb4275

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 168 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Roar

Leading with a tank Ttar. I feel like I see stall teams online without ttar but I hate losing to ninjask and substitute berry sweepers so I have to keep him. I like this set because it feels like the most likely set to be useful turn 1 + 2. I can scout choice band users with protect, which feels really important because my team has no good switch in to most CB users unless I know the move. Rock slide is good obv, and roar synergizes with the team. Toxic is probably not the best but I like it because I often catch swamperts with it, which can be big. EV spread is to be tanky as possible and also try to speed creep swamperts and other ttar.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 64 SpA / 64 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Baton Pass
- Leech Seed
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Recover

Celebi is my favorite mon to use in gen 3, mostly because of this set, since it feels like it always does something. I really like baton pass here because it can lead to some very decisive plays on opposing celebi/jirachi/blissey by passing into dug. I'll be honest the EVs are mostly random. I could use help with them. I like calm nature though because I feel like celebi checks special attackers better, and it helps her deal with all the HP fires, ices, and icebeams in the tier. I've tried healbell in place of baton pass but I found it really hard to actually use, and baton pass has a lot more value against offense.

Claydol @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 80 SpA / 128 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Psychic
- Toxic

I feel iffy about this set too, it probably will raise eyebrows. Basically the idea behind it is to have claydol 1 vs 1 gengar as best as possible. These evs make it so defensive gengar needs 4 hits to kill, and offensive needs 3. Lastly toxic is there because claydol needs to switch into a lot of EQs for this team, and toxic can cripple EQ users who themselves don't mind EQ from claydol. Of course I have tried refresh in this slot, but I need claydol so badly to deal with EQ users in offense matchups that refresh is just too useless sometimes.

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Aerial Ace
- Rock Slide

Nothin' to say here, its literally just the smogon set. Very satisfying mon to use.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Fire Punch
- Body Slam

I really wanted a wish user on this team, and I didn't want to use blissey so here it is. this is just the standard smogon build. I think this build pairs nicely with celebi acting as a pivot, often giving jirachi opportunities to fish for status, which is honestly kind of my main win condition sometimes. I've tried using swampert and milotic in this spot but they both feel too passive and I miss the wish support.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Roar
- Protect
- Drill Peck

Not much to say here either, other than I would love to try a set with thief but maybe thats silly.

Basically the whole goal of this team is to first scout out the opponent early with my bulky TTar. Then if I am against set up sweeper teams I try to get skarm in ASAP and get a spike and roar. Against pretty much anything else my goal is to pivot in and out with celebi and give chances for jirachi to click status moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)