Help out a Newbie (litterally)

As you can see this is my first post, first thread and overall first everything. If i make any mistakes on the post please alert me of this.
Anyway lets dive right into it.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
Torrent
-Curse
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Waterfall
EV Spread: 252 HP, 40 Def, 216 SpD

CursePert from our very own Smogon. Sets up Stealth Rock and depending on the pokémon, Curse and then EQ or Waterfall. This guy is my biggest defense but if a grass type comes along he's doomed. After some recommendations i out him in Lead with Stealth Rock instead of Mence. Svampert is someone i should be able to switch into once in a while cause of his defensive role along with maybe setting up Stealth Rock again if it gets Rapid Spinned.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
Levitate
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt
-Focus Blast
-Explosion
EV Spread: 4 Def, 252 SpA, 252 Spe

Life Orb Gengar. Explosion over HP Fire due to pure lazyness. Timid nature for more speed as Gengar has enough power to breeze trough some pokemon. Of course Explosion is a last ditch effort and with its immense power plus Life Orb (which doesnt matter since Gengar faints anyway) comes to the total sum of 370 power, thats quite huge so it will probably be able to take down pretty much anything.

Lucario @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
Steadfast
-Sword Dance
-Close Combat
-ExtremeSpeed
-Ice Punch
EV Spread: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe

A Anti-Lead but with the Sword Dance set. Just want to note that Lucario has a 31 in IV so it doesnt need to be a Jolly. I hate how few type coverage it has (altough one of them is very important) so i kinda dont want Extreme Speed despite the fact that it can Sword Dance without fainting and then beat the opponent to the punch (Unless the other attack is Bullet Punch or Sucker Punch..anyone know?) Steadfast works well cause of Focus Sash cause it will survive if it would have normally killed it and gains speed, if the move was a possible flinching move anyway.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
Blaze
-Nasty Plot
-Flamethrower
-Close Combat
-Grass Knot
EV Spread: 64 Atk, 252 SpA, 192 Spe

A small mix of Nasty Plot Ape and Specially Based MixApe. Since i have Close Combat i cant leave the attack stat be so 64 EV go in there with the cost of lower speed. Im thinking Choice Specs instead of Life Orb (mostly cause i only have 2) but what do you guys think?

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
Natural Cure
-Rapid Spin
-Surf
-Recover
-Ice Beam
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP

Timid here for even more speed to quickly take out the entry hazards and then maybe attack once and then get out of there and let someone else kick ass. Since it doesnt have the best HP base stat it has Leftovers to help, plus recover if things get dangerous. One STAB and one badass move to take out the all mighty dragons.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
Intimidate
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Flamethrower
EV Spread: 232 Atk, 252 Spe, 24 SpA

A Dragon Dancer Mence. Flamethrower for more accuracy instead of extra 25 power. Since it has a bit of a bulk to it, it should be able to deal with Life Orb taking 10% of its HP each turn. By having a Naive nature it gets a small speed boost to help get the first hit in and start sweeping. Basically what im going for here is to dance first and then sweep with Outrage or depending on the pokemon, Earthquake or Flamethrower. 24 SpA to help in making Flamethrower a bit stronger since it doesnt quite keep up with Fire Blast. Mence is a Late-Game Sweeper with Starmie and Infernape

Anyway i have 1 of the pokemon ready 3 in training and the last two are still in search. So if anyone can help please PM me.

Heya
ok....firstly, which one are you planning to lead with? Salamence? 'Cause that's kinda unusual...
As a team, you don't have a single pokemon that has recovery, which probably isn't a good thing. Starmie and Salamence can recover and roost respectively if need be. Also, you could consider using a pokemon with wish. For your team, i might suggest Vaporeon over Swampert.
Secondly, get a pokemon to use Stealth rock - the KO's it will provide you with are invaluable. Out of the ones you have here, Swampert would be a good choice for a lead. Bulky, can take a few hits.
You have good defensive synergy overall, recovery is the only thing you're lacking in terms of defense.

Neways, individually, salamence is great, good ev spread, great moveset for breaking through walls. If you find flamethrower isn't doing enough, try fire blast, it's just a matter of whether you want accuracy or power.
Gengar, if you are using explosion, should be hasty. It's defence is already atrocious, and the fact that Attack won't drop gives explosion that little extra power.
Lucario, no problems at all =)
Swampert is a toss-up for me. I personally don't like using Cursers without recovery, but if you find it works....
Infernape, you should go with Close combat over focus blast. Gengar already has a special fighting move, and mixed infernape provides you with another good wallbreaker.
Additionally, blissey will stop this thing dead in its tracks without a physical move. So shift the nature from timid to hasty or naive, and considering putting a few evs, maybe 60 or so in atk, just to give close combat a bit more power.
As for Starmie, psychic has poor coverage in ou, so you could drop that and use either thunderbolt, recover, or trick. Plenty of options, just depends on how you want to utilise it.

Wow, easily my longest post =)
Neways, hope i helped, and hope it goes well for you !

Well....where do we start.

First of all Salamence as a lead doesn't work to well. Stealth Rocks goes a long way in securing those 1hko's and 2hko's for you and your other pokes.

I don't think you understand how Steadfast works, you need to be flinched to gain the speed boost. Lucario is also carrying a focus sash and if your opponent has rocks up (nearly all the time) or spikes the focus sash is now useless.

You should really change that pert to a lead and get Stealth Rocks, it goes a long way in helping pokemon sweep and wearing down other strong pokes like opposing Mence and Gyara.

There are many problem pokes for your team. It has little defensive synergy. A +1 Gyara easily takes 4/6 of your pokemon. Same goes for mence which completely runs through this team.

Mence dies to most common leads seeing as they're bulky enough to severely weaken it or have a focus sash and destroy it. Mamoswine? Ice shard. Pert? Ice beam. Azelf? Lay down rocks and explode suriving your +1 hit due to focus sash. Metagross? Survives your +1 EQ and hits you twice with MM. Would not recommend it.

Hmm. Alright then. Pert in lead, replace Stone Edge with Stealth Rock. Still why would i put out a pokemon when there is an entry hazard when i can send in Starmie to rapid spin?
I usually dont go much for defense despite that it provides balance. One wall is possible.

Overdrive - I only have two and im currently looking for a third one for Infernape, besides i cant be running around with Life Orbs, T-Bolt is not needed.

TAF - If there is an entry hazard its common sense not to send out a pokemon with focus sash, instead you send out, oh i dont know Starmie with Rapid Spin and then you can.

@BlueEye, but if you haven't seen the metagame today, there are spin-blockers, especially Rotom-A, which can kill Starmie with T-Bolt, and blocks Rapid Spin also, so your statement isn't very true to most teams, especially all those entry hazards that are in most teams these days... Lucario would do better with a Life Orb anyways, as it'd give the OHKO's and 2HKO's needed which wouldn't happen with Focus Sash...

-_-... Why dont i just put a Life Orb on Svampert too? Then its perfect, isnt it?
Like SatiSuicune said, Rotom-A is the premier spinblocker in todays current metagame. It easily dispatches Starmie without a problem and your sash is void. Life Orb on Lucario is amazing as it increases is damage output by 30%. Leftovers goes on pert

But if i put Life Orb on Lucario and Starmie then 5/6 of my team will be running the same item with Svampert the only one without it holding Leftovers. Seriously i cant be running that many at the same time.

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
you have to actually use your team and playtest it before posting it here, and from what you said
'Anyway i have 1 of the pokemon ready 3 in training and the last two are still in search'
you have not done this. This is backed up by the fact that I think this team would not do very well in competitive battling (sorry, but its true)

Thats all true. But when i managed to gather the pokemon i wanted to use, read trough all of they're sets, thought about which one of them would fit best with each other and then posted here for results. So far its going alright. Im just afraid of Life Orb overuse.

@Blue Eye, If I were you, I'd download Shoddy Battle and test your team out there before progressing any further. Once you have done that and made all the adjustments you feel are necessary, you test it again. Finally you rinse and repeat to you can't perfect it anymore. Only then should you come back here and post your finished team to be scrutinised by others along with any threats you have noticed. Then we can help you deal with those threats effectively and point out other threats and how to deal with them.

I noticed that your team is missing a wall, or something besides your leads that can really take an attack after swampert goes down. If it does, your team is so devoid of bulk that you're reduced to a team of five revenge killers and sweepers of only mediocre coverage. With one good prediction, your opponent will run you flat. So put simply, you need to playtest your team before posting it.

Shoddy Battle....stupid Shoddy. After hours of guides and whatnot i cant get it to work, so i gave up on it.

You probably did not notice 3v3rnoob that i dont like using anything but attackers (sweepers) so i dont like walls much. The closest thing i have is Swampert.

Im thinking of simply now straight out front, i want to close this thread so i can re organize my team and post it later in more detail. Also gonna work more on getting Shoddy.

So Haunter could you please? (since you seem to "haunt" this place)

How about you PM your Shoddy problem and I'll help you out.
I spent ages getting it to work. Now it works, I never even play wifi anymore. You could say it's better than the real thing lol. Trust me it's worth it.
It's the least I could do after you helped me out with my team. Take it from one newbie to another.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)