Help finding music

k I'm wanting to expand my horizons. can you help me find combos of these things I like? just list a few bands...
Okay you need to know my tastes.

Oh dont be afraid to post bands that you think i might already know, trust me i dont know much

Favorite band is Muse. please listen to muse before posting in here to see what i like

Genres
Well I like stuff ranging from Unintended (Muse) to Hyper Music (Muse) so almost anything will work.
I really have been digging electronica as well but as far as electronica i've only liked bands that are electronica with girl singers.
Please no pure speed metal dragonforce-ish
again, female singers

Vocals
if you know i love muse you can guess vocals are important. I like girl voices or voices like Matt Bellamy's. I love girl singers (I hope i've said it enough :p).

Things I like to be in it
Repeating catchy headbang guitar riffs like ' ex. Bull on Parade'
Cool melodic guitar solo's
If its a guy singer (probably wont like to much) falsetto's
Piano is great 'newborn'
I like romantic slow stuff too sometimes

ANY help is appreciated

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
You havent given us much to work with, if you want bands that sound like muse, I recommend muse. I guess you are sorta asking for something out of my area of expertise.

MY brother likes Muse and RATM. Other bands he likes include Mars Volta, A Perfect Circle, Bloc Party, I cant think of any with female vocalists.. I guess these bands probably arent going to be very new to you anyway.

Looking at my CD collection the only post-70s bands with female vocalists are Bjork and Portishead. Oh, Sugababes too!

Have a nice day.

While I can't recommend you any bands in particular, you might like to sign up to http://www.last.fm if you haven't already. You can then put in the bands you like into the radio and it will play you stuff that is similar.

If you like Falsetto's then Sigur Rós might be the thing for you if you never heard them. Their most recent album, Takk, is pretty catchy and a nice album to get into the band, although it's not their best.

As for female vocals, it really depends on the style of music you want really. If you like electronica, then like Hip said, Bjork is a good choice, along with Lamb and Portishead. If you're more interested in singer-songwriter, then maybe Tori Amos, Marissa Nadler or Bat for Lashes.

Thanks I'm making a list of the ones you guys are saying so i can try them all out later. Anymore you guys can think of? I'm about to edit my first post with more things to work with, sorry about that.

If you're more interested in singer-songwriter, then maybe Tori Amos, Marissa Nadler or Bat for Lashes.
If you do go down this particular route then you REALLY need to try Kate Bush, who was doing the whole "slightly strange woman on the piano" thing long before any of them.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nightwish.

Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan, Within Temptation, Paramore, Annie Lennox, Enya...

Also check out Radiohead even though they have a male vocalist.

Good Guitar Riffs:
Smashing Pumpkins
Silversun Pickups
The Fall of Troy
Chiodos

Good Female Lead Singer Groups:
Garbage
Paramore
The Cranberries
Zolof the Rock & Roll Destroyer

Techno Rock Group:
Enter Shikari

Actually I forgot The Cranberries, they're great :D. Try out either Everybody Else is Doing It So Why Can't We or No Need to Argue. Both are great. The latter has a bit more of a Celtic tint.

Lacuna Coil and Nightwish are two of my favorites, both in the metal genre (goth metal and symphonic metal, respectively).

Garbage and Within Temptation also have female lead singers, but they're more rock/alternative... not as heavy as the above.

The Delgados, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Peter Bjorn and John, Regina Spektor, also Ladytron or any kind of Electroclash really

From what you've said you like, here's what I can think of:

Repetitive: Rage Against the Machine
Yeah, you did say Bulls on Parade, which is Rage Against the Machine. I lost my taste in 'em a little due to the fact that literally HALF of their songs was the main riff. Killing in the Name is very similar in this regard.

Melodic Guitar Solo: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns N Roses
Yeah RHCP has been mentioned, but I'd like to back that statement up too. Guns n' Roses has plenty of guitar solos that are pretty cool, but I have no idea if I'd call them "melodic." Of course, older bands are full of solos (Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, Ozzy, ect.)

Only female singer I can think of (that's good and that I actually listen to) is Paramore. Overhyped as the band is, it's pretty good and Hayley Williams has a nice voice (and is rather attractive). Paramore has nice guitar parts, but I probably wouldn't headbang to them or anything. It IS Alternative (I think.) Rock.

Hope we help ya out here. :happybrain:

BANDS I THINK YOU WOULD REALLY LIKE:

Noisettes: Great, high energy band with a female lead vocalist/bassist who has one of the best voices in music, in my opinion. Their debut "What's the Time, Mr. Wolf?" is full of great tracks, and my favorite is "Capture the Spirit".
Sleater-Kinney: Another great all-female band with a big rock influence and awesome instruments/vocals. Their album "One Beat" is maybe the closest thing to what you'd like, but all of their albums are great (especially "The Woods").
St. Vincent: Though she's a little more low key and singer-songwritery, St. Vincent has her crazy guitary moments. Her quirky "Marry Me" is one of my favorite albums of the past year.

If you like these, you might like Le Tigre, The Fiery Furnaces, M.I.A. (if you can stand some rap), and Liz Phair.

I also advocate these previously mentioned bands: Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bjork, Ladytron, and Regina Spektor.

P.S. If you like that CocoRosie stuff, check out Joanna Newsom.

Hey Lyn.
You forgot a section!
You forgot about weezer. Because I know you like Quirky stuff like that kinda stuff. Also I keep forgetting to tell you but I've taken quite a liking to a few radiohead songs. So check some out.
:3

hmmm, I'm going to suggest 4 Bands. I'll also include several songs you might like by your criteria =)

Tegan and Sara are a very good alternative duet, I'd recommend an earlier CD like "This Business of Art" as their more recent CDs are slightly more pop-y (though by no means bad)
Lady_Lyndis said:
Repeating catchy headbang guitar riffs like ' ex. Bull on Parade' Time Running , Walking With a Ghost
Cool melodic guitar solo's Superstar
I like romantic slow stuff too sometimes Where Does the Good Go? , My Number
No Doubt is good, I'd only recomend the CD "Tragic Kingdom", Gwen's other CDs aren't really up to that benchmark...
Lady_Lyndis said:
Repeating catchy headbang guitar riffs like ' ex. Bull on Parade' Sunday Morning
Piano is great 'newborn' Excuse Me Mr.
I like romantic slow stuff too sometimes Don't Speak
Architecture in Helsinki can be a breath of fresh air. They have a very unique sound featuring a wide variety of insturments (includeing piano =]), and thier female vocalist is actually quite good, it also helps that thier male singer sings in a pretty high voice. I recomend the CD "In Case We Die" but "Places Like This" is also good, if not just for Heart it Races.
Lady_Lyndis said:
Repeating catchy headbang guitar riffs like ' ex. Bull on Parade' Do The Whirlwind , Do you Like it Ar Not?
Piano is great 'newborn' Wishbone
I like romantic slow stuff too sometimes Whats in Store
Electric Six is a very fun almost Disco Rock group from Detroit. From what you've said, you'll probably dislike Dick Valentine's style of singing. But in Electric Six's defense, they are very catchy with a very random/dirty sense of humour and AMAZING one liners in some of thier more recent CDs. if I had to recomend an e6 CD it would either be "Fire" or "Senior Smoke"
Lady_Lyndis said:
Repeating catchy headbang guitar riffs like ' ex. Bull on Parade' gay bar , Danger High Voltage
Cool melodic guitar solo's Rock and Roll Evacuation
Piano is great 'newborn' I Buy the Drugs
I like romantic slow stuff too sometimes Jimmy Carter (is slow, but not romantic lol)
I'll edit if I find more songs that fit well.

defffffinitely check out joanna newsom
I don't think that's recommended. It's hard to get used to her sound, especially her voice. She's still awesome and did a great concert here.

You should try out K's Choice. It's a singer-songwriter duo with a lot of acoustic influences, especially their later albums. My favourite album is Almost Happy. Really goos songs: Almost Happy, Shadow Man, Iron Flower, Wait, Not An Addict. Try youtubing these.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)