Heatran (Analysis)

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
Stealth Rock has been slashed, and I put HP Grass on any set that has HP Ice (although I'm not sure if the Choice Scarf set really needs Hidden Power Grass, as I would much rather revenge Garchomp or Landorus than Rotom-W or some other bulky water). I've put Taunt on the AC on the LO set because I didn't want to get slash-happy.

That RestTalk set seems cool. I'll try it out and probably put it in the OP by tonight.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Hey Limewire, I talked it over with Bloo and we decided on a handful of changes.

• Make a SR-varient the first set. It will look a lot like your Nitro Charge set, just with SR over Nitro Charge and different EVs (Heatran isn't that common this generation so there's no real need to maximize EVs).
name: Stealth Rock
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Grass]
move 4: Stealth Rock
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

item: Balloon / Life Orb
  • I made Modest the primary option, since there's not much that Timid outruns that Modest doesn't.
  • Took away Flamethrower as a slash just to make it more concise, still mention it in AC.
  • Bloo and I agreed that Nitro Charge was Other Options material, so you can remove reference of that.
  • Slash Timid as an option on the Choice Specs set. Make HP Grass the first choice in the fourth slot and slash it with Flamethrower. Mention HP Ice in the AC (Dragon Pulse and Fire Blast together are hitting everything that HP Ice would, really).
  • The Choice Scarf set should look like this:
name: ScarfTran
move 1: Overheat
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Dragon Pulse
nature: Timid / Modest

item: Choice Scarf
  • Its nice to have both Overheat and Flamethrower on this set; that way you can choose between immediate power and reliability.
  • HP Ice + Dragon Pulse is pretty redundent; HP Ice is preferred as it hits Garchomp, Salamence, Gliscor, Dragonite, etc.
  • Modest is slashed if you don't care about base 130s or other random Pokemon.
  • Make move 3 for the SpDef set Protect / Earth Power / Hidden Power Ice
  • Make move 4 for the SpDef set Stealth Rock / Roar
  • Remove Toxic from the Torment set.
Make these changes and we'll approve it. Good work so far!

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, all of the changes you have requested have been made Delta. While we're at it, do you believe that RestTalk Heatran is worthy of getting its own set, or should it belong in Other Options?

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
We decided that ResTalk should just be OO material. Also just three more changes:

• Deslash Balloon on the SpDef set; Heatran is supposed to be taking hits, and since just one hit pops the Balloon, Leftovers is far more useful.
  • Make Lava Plume the first move on the SpDef set and Toxic the second.
  • Mention Latias and Latios in the counters section.
QC Approved (1/3)

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Eruption Heatran is locked into a Quiet nature and is generally too slow in this metagame (can't outspeed base 110s).

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Pretty much all the threats in the metagame have a way of mutilating Heatran.
What are you trying to say?

It's been a couple of days with no reply, so again:

I strongly believe that a rest/sleeptalk set should be added.

If you have other pokes to set up hazards, taunt and phaze stuff restalk tran is an extremely effective "glue" poke. His defensive capabilities are stellar, and a recovery option only makes him more solid. Lava plume and earth power are still a solid coverage moveset, and the burn chance makes him so much harder to deal with.

He's a great status absorber too. WoW just boosts his STAB, toxic is ineffective, paralysis is a momentary hiccup, and sleep just gives him an excuse to use sleep talk. At least twice now I've switched him into breloom, taken the spore and sleeptalked lava plume for the KO while he swords danced.

If another heatran switches in to take lava plume, you're bulky enough to take the earth power and powerful enough to KO back with your own. I do this all the time, and heatran would become near deadweight without rest (at such a low %)

Why don't you all go try it? Team him up with, say, gliscor and jellicent. Or xatu and swampert/gastrodon?

Realising im way late to the party (lets call it fashionably late) I think their is a tran set that need inclusion.

PhaserTran

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock

Heatran awesome typing, access to SR Substitue and Roar, make it one of the most effective specially defensive phasers I've used. Simply switch Tran into a fire attack (this works particularly well if you run a Forry Lead) absorb and set up your sub. Then, on the incoming pokemon, you have several options. Lava Plume is the attacking option, preferable to other fire moves due to its increased burn chance, which i find more useful than the extra damage in a stall team. SR is obvious and allows you to gain an early advantage if their switch is unable to break you sub or wishes to status you. Roar is the move of choice as it allows to force damaging entry damage and scout the enemies team.

Two possible changes are Earth Power instead of SR for incoming heatrans, if your sure you'll already have Hazards up. The EV's may also be changed in order to balance his defences so that they are more in tune with your team.

Realising im way late to the party (lets call it fashionably late) I think their is a tran set that need inclusion.

PhaserTran

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock

Heatran awesome typing, access to SR Substitue and Roar, make it one of the most effective specially defensive phasers I've used. Simply switch Tran into a fire attack (this works particularly well if you run a Forry Lead) absorb and set up your sub. Then, on the incoming pokemon, you have several options. Lava Plume is the attacking option, preferable to other fire moves due to its increased burn chance, which i find more useful than the extra damage in a stall team. SR is obvious and allows you to gain an early advantage if their switch is unable to break you sub or wishes to status you. Roar is the move of choice as it allows to force damaging entry damage and scout the enemies team.

Two possible changes are Earth Power instead of SR for incoming heatrans, if your sure you'll already have Hazards up. The EV's may also be changed in order to balance his defences so that they are more in tune with your team.

I think it would be better for Heatran to leave entry hazards for another member of the team.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm
244 HP / 44 SpDef / 220 Spe
Substitute
Roar
Toxic / Wil-o-wisp
Flamethrower / Lava Plume / Fire Blast

- Substitute prevents Choice-users from U-Turning or Volt Switching freely
- Status cripples walls that can't take status
- Toxic prevents things like Blissey from staying in too long and Steel-types don't switch in to Heatrans
- Wil-o-wisp cripples physical sweepers that come in to hit Heatran super-effectively and compliments the special defense investment
- Gets walled by Fire-types with Wil-o-wisp though Roar with Stealth Rocks will keep them at bay
- Flamethrower for decent power, accuracy and PP
- Lava Plume for the chance of burn (To be used with Toxic)
- Fire Blast 2HKOs defensive Gliscor and has more power but less PP

Ferrothorn and Starmie work well with this. Ferrothorn supplies Spikes and Leech Seed recovery as well as luring Flash Fire boosts. Also deals with Water-types that switch into Heatran. Starmie can shrug off Scald burns with Natural Cure and can Spin away opposing Hazards. (Also covers the Fighting weakness of the other 2) All of them are either immune to or don't mind Toxic Spikes, making the 3 hard to outstall.

Like King of Nubs, I run Sub on most my SpDef sets, just to scout switches and roar away stuff i can't deal with otherwise.. Shouldn't sub at least be slashed in on the SpDef set? I see it a lot more often that i see protect to be honest. Stalling a turn of toxic/burn damage isn't as useful as being behind a sub in most cases..

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
Not even one mention of Flame Charge, that I could see. It should at least be mentioned in additional choices, if not on the all-out attacker set slashed with Stealth Rock. Heatran loves the speed boost.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
Finished writing this up.

I didn't want to slash in Substitute on the SpD set because all of the slashes would make it look messy, but I also didn't want to leave it in AC, so I mentioned it under Set Comments.

Also, I'm pretty sure Nitro Charge was mentioned on the first paragraph under AC of the All-out Attacker set. Maybe you missed it?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP Check [1/2]

REMOVE
ADD
COMMENT

[Overview]

<p>Heatran exited generation IV left the 4th generation as the most used Pokemon in OU. This comes at as no suprise surprise, for Heatran's impressive defensive stats, Fire/Steel typing,(comma) and useful ability enables enable him to wall combat a huge portion of the metagame. It is no slouch offensively, eithera base 130 Special Attack stat combined with a good offensive movepool makes even dedicated counters winch wince. In this generation, things appear to be even better for it. Heatran now gets Nitro Charge Flame Charge, a move that boosts its only mediocre stat, Speed. Air Balloon, a new item, allows it to switch into Ground-type moves with ease. The popularity of Pokemon like Ferrothorn allow allows Heatran to switch in with ease and create momentum on your side. However, with the nerf to Explosion, Blissey and Eviolite Chansey are now the perfect counter counters to Heatran. Heatran also has to deal with Latios and Latias, previous Ubers who now find themselves in the same tier as Heatran. In addition, Fighting-type Pokemon are extremely popular, so it may have trouble staying in more trouble making an impact than it used to. Nevertheless, it is clear that Heatran will remain a top threat for quite a while.</p>

[SET]
name: All-Out Attacker
move 3: Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Grass] Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
item: Air Balloon / Life Orb

[Set Comments]

<p>Heatran's typing enables it to switch into a variety of attacks, and it's its acceptable movepool also allows it to threaten many Pokemon at once. Air Balloon takes this to a whole new level by allowing Heatran to switch into Earthquake, a move that used to send chills down its spine. For example, with a Air Balloon attached, it can check any Excadrill that does not carry Brick Break. However, Air Balloon is instantly popped if Heatran is hit by an attack. The introduction of team preview makes prediction easier, however, caution should still be exercised to ensure that Heatran does not use up its item for nothing.</p>

<p>Fire Blast is a wickedly powerful STAB move, easily destroying anything that does not resist it. If the 85% accuracy is troublesome, Flamethrower is a viable alternative. However, the loss of power may be very noticeable. Earth Power is useful in dealing with other Heatran, as well as in situations where using Fire Blast may not be a good idea (such as against a Drizzle team). The choice of Hidden Powers Power depend depends on with which Pokemon trouble your team more most. Hidden Power Ice takes out Gliscor, Landorus,(comma) and Garchomp, although it will need to attack the latter two on the switch. Hidden Power Grass is more sutable suitable for dealing with Water-types such as Quagsire and Gastrodon. Heatran is also one of the few Pokemon who can happily use Stealth Rock without any compatibility issues.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The EVs are very simple and allows allow Heatran to deal as much damage as possible. A Modest nature is suggested because there are few notable Pokemon that can be outsped with Timid. Nevertheless, feel free to use Timid if outspeeding a certain Pokemon is nessessary. If Heatran already has a teammate that already uses Stealth Rock, then Nitro Charge, Taunt,(comma) or Substitute may go in the fifth slot. Nitro Charge Flame Charge boosts Heatran's only mediocre set, and can sweep quite easily late-game once its checks and counters are removed. Taunt is notable for stopping Chansey or Blissey from setting up on Heatran, although it cannot do much to them in return. Substitute gives Heatran a safeguard from status effects and allows it to scout the opponent. Be aware, though, that Substitute does not prevent Air Balloon from being popped if the Substitute is destroyed.</p>

<p>Pokemon who naturally draw Fire-type attacks make good partners. Ferrothorn and Skarmory are some examples. These Pokemon also support Heatran by laying down entry hazards, giving it a better chance at sweeping. Scizor also naturally draws in Fire-type attacks, and can easily take on Chansey and Blissey. Celebi and Sigilyph have good defensive synergy with Heatran, and both either resist or are immune to the Fighting- and Ground-type attacks that pester it. Heatran also makes a viable addition to Sun teams, as it prevents opponents from abusing the Sun by firing off Fire-type attacks.</p>

<p>Heatran is not without its fair share of counters, though. With the nerf to Explosion, special walls such as Chansey and Blissey can easily wall this set to Kingdom Come kingdom come. Luckily, these two walls fall very easily to powerful physical attacks. Scizor deserves a special mention here, as not only can it use Superpower to take care of them, it also naturally draws in Fire-type attacks for Heatran to abuse. Latios and Latias can also use their special bulk to shrug off most attacks (although Hidden Power Ice will hurt) and pummel Heatran with Surf. For this reason, a Tyranitar wielding a Choice Scarf may be a useful teammate. Surf will sting Tyranitar, but it can outspeed, trap, and OHKO Latios and Latias. Kingdra and Gyarados take, at worse, neutral damage from Heatran's attack attacks, and can dent it with their STAB Water-type attacks. If it lacks Hidden Power Grass, Rotom-W can also cause Heatran some problems as well. Thundurus can outspeed these Pokemon and either cripple them with status,(remove) or fire off powerful Thunderbolts at them. Terakion Terrakion can outspeed Heatran and proceed to attack with Close Combat, making it a notable threat. Gliscor can switch into Close Combat easily and does not mind Terakion's Terrakion's other attacks. Gliscor also can switch into any Ground-type move aimed at Heatran.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
item: Choice Scarf

[Set Comments]

<p>Heatran's Speed stat has always been a severe letdown. However, with a Choice Scarf attached, it now becomes a blazingly fast Pokemon that reaches 458 speed Speed with a Timid nature, enabling it to check and revenge-kill revenge kill many Pokemon. Overheat is a mighty powerful STAB attack that dents many almost any Pokemon who dare dares to switch into Heatran. It may be strange to have Flamethrower in the second slot, as Overheat hits the same threats that Flamethrower does. However, Overheat's -2 Special Attack recoil may make it inadvisable in some situations. Earth Power gives Heatran a way to deal with opposing Heatrans Heatran, and is your best option against Steels if Fire-type moves are inadvisable (such as against a Drizzle team). Hidden Power Ice suits this set nicely by enabling Heatran to destroy Landorus, Gliscor, and Dragon-type Pokemon who are 4x weak to Ice-type moves. Dragon Pulse is an alternative to hit Latios, Latias, and Sazandora for more damage; , however, Hidden Power Ice is usually the better choice of the two.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>A Timid nature and 252 EVs in Speed enable Heatran to outspeed Pokemon with a base speed Speed of 130 and below. If these Pokemon are not a huge threat, Heatran can opt to use a Modest nature instead. One important thing to notice is that this Choice Scarf set is more risky to use than the All-Out Attacker set, as Choice Scarf can allow the foe to switch into an appropriate counter with ease. Therefore, prediction is vital to using Scarf Heatran to the fullest extent. Thankfully, team preview makes prediction much more easier.</p>

<p>Although fast, Choice Scarf Heatran is not quite as powerful as the All-Out Attacker or Choice Specs set. Teammates who can soften up the opposing team therefore make wonderful parters to for Heatran. There are quite a few Pokemon who can do this, but some notable examples include Latios, Gyarados, Celebi,(comma) and Scizor. All of these Pokemon share excellent defensive synergy with Heatran. Another problem that Heatran has are bulky Water-type Pokemon. Suicune, Swampert, Quagsire,(comma) and others can switch into Overheat or Flamethrower with ease and proceed to threaten Heatran with powerful Water-type attacks. Ferrothorn does not mind Water-types much and can proceed to set up entry hazards and Leech Seed on them. On the offensive side, Thundurus, Virizion, and Celebi can hammer away at these Pokemon with their powerful attacks. Heatran can even opt to run Hidden Power Grass over Flamethrower to deal with them. The loss of Hidden Power Ice would not be too severe since Gliscor and Landorus take heavy damage from Overheat, and Garchomp is demolished by Dragon Pulse. Chansey and Blissey once again walls wall this set, but they are fairly easy to deal with in return. Powerful physical attacks should take care of them in no time.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Overheat / Fire Blast
move 2: Dragon Pulse
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Flamethrower
item: Choice Specs

[Set Comments]

<p>Unlike the Choice Scarf set, the task of this set is to tear, rip,(comma) and burn massive holes into the opponent's team, leaving other Pokemon to clean up the remainder. With a Choice Specs attached, Overheat becomes a terrifying move. For example, Overheat cleanly 2HKOs 2HKOes Latios after Stealth Rock damage. Unfortunately, Overheat's Special Attack drop forces Heatran to become a hit-and-run Pokemon. Fire Blast enables Heatran to stay in longer, at the cost of having a lower accuracy and base power Base Power. Dragon Pulse and Earth Power are there primarily for coverage, the former hitting Dragon-type Pokemon while the latter is useful for opposing Heatrans Heatran. Hidden Power Grass takes care of bulky variants of Rotom-W, Gyarados, and other Water-types. If Heatran already has teammates that can take care of them, then Flamethrower is an alternative. It may seem redundant to run two Fire-type moves on one set;(semicolon) ,(remove) however, keep in mind that both Fire Blast and Overheat have negative qualities about them that may make using those moves unsuitable in certain scenarios.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Just like the All-Out Attacker set, xaximum maximum Special Attack and a Modest nature are desirable for Heatran to wreak as much damage as possible. A Timid nature may be useful if a certain threat needs to be outsped. Since Heatran will hopefully cause massive damage to the opponent's team, Pokemon who can clean up and pick off any survivors make good teammates. Conkeldurr, Scizor, and Azumaril Azumarill can use their powerful priority attacks to accomplish this. Pokemon who wield do a good job at Choice Scarf, such as Garchomp, or Pokemon who are naturally fast, such as Latios or Starmie, also make good cleaners.</p>

<p>Once again, Chansey and Blissey can sponge Heatran, although repeated attacks will quickly wear them down. Due to the sheer power of Choice Specs, bulky Water-type Pokemon may have some difficulty switching in. However, if Heatran does not run Hidden Power Grass, then Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Gyarados,(comma) and Suicune can usually survive an attack and retaliate. Beside these, this set shares similar checks and counters to the All-Out Attacker set. The only difference, though, is that counters will have a hard time switching in without losing a massive chunk of health.</p>

[SET]
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Lava Plume
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Protect / Earth Power / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Stealth Rock / Roar
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[Set Comments]

<p>Although Heatran is primarily used as an offensive Pokemon, one should not forget about its defensive options. Base 106 defenses, immunity to Toxic and a wide supportive support movepool makes it a powerful wall. A specially defensive set is used over a physically defensive set because Lava Plume's high burn rate enables Heatran to shrug off physical hits most of the time. In addition, the most common physical moves aimed at Heatran are usually high-powered moves such as Close Combat, High Jump Kick,(comma) and Earthquake, attacks that would easily OHKO - or 2HKO Heatran regardless of investment in Heatran's Defense stat.</p>

<p>Lava Plume is chosen due to its high 30% burn rate, which makes Heatran incredibly difficult to take down on the physical side. Toxic enables it to dispose of Chansey, Blissey, bulky Water-type Pokemon, and other defensive Pokemon who would otherwise wall Heatran. The third moveslot depends on how you wish to use Heatran. Protect takes a defensive route by shielding Heatran from attacks while also enabling it to recover health as the foe slowly dies to burn or poison damage. Substitute is a viable alternative to Protect, and can potentially provide protection for last longer. However, Pokemon immune to Toxic, such as Tentacruel, Gliscor, and opposing Heatran,(comma) can trouble it if it chooses to run these moves. Therefore, Earth Power and Hidden Power Ice are recommended to take out threats. The last moveslot is geared to support Heatran's teammates. Steath Rock makes it easier for offensive teammates to sweep the opponent's team, whereas Roar is useful for phazing out an enemy sweeper or troublesome wall.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Team support is vital in order to fully abuse specially defensive Heatran. For starters, Heatran greatly appreciates Toxic Spikes support, as this enables it to forgo Toxic for another move. Forretress can lay down Toxic Spikes (and other entry hazards) and attracts Fire-type attacks for Heatran to soak up. Tentacruel can also do the same job, and resists Heatran's Fighting-type weakness in exchange for sharing a weakness to Ground-type moves. If this is done, then a spinblocker is required. Jellicient Jellicent is a good candidate due to its excellent synergy with Heatran. Wish support is also recommended because Heatran has no form of recovery outside of Rest and Leftovers. Chansey does a good job at this, but one must be wary of their shared weakness to Fighting-type moves. Vaporeon works well too, as she can literally absorb any Water-type attacks aimed at Heatran. Although a bit unorthodox, Wish + Dragon Tail Salamence has excellent synergy with Heatran and should also be considered.</p>

<p>One common Pokemon who can dangeously counter this set almost entirely is Guts Conkeldurr, who can easily abuse Burn burn or Toxic damage to power up its attack Attack. Heatran can't do much to it since it is not running any EVs in Special Attack. Gliscor deals with Conkeldurr easily, especially Fling + Acrobat versions [May want to change this, since the Gliscor analysis doesn't actually have a Fling + Acrobat set on it]. A strong special attacker that resists Mach Punch, such as Tornundus Tornadus or Starmie, also works. If Heatran does not run Roar, then Calm Mind Reuniclus can slowly work its way up to +6 Special Attack, and deal severe damage with Focus Blast. Reuniclus absolutely hates powerful, super-effective physical attacks from the likes of Scizor or Tyranitar, though.</p>

[SET]
name: TormenTran
move 1: Torment
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Protect
move 4: Lava Plume / Taunt
evs: 244 HP / 44 SpD / 220 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>This is the notoriously infamous Torment Heatran set that once upon a time made players rip their hair, gouge out their eyeballs, and jump out of a window as soon as they encounter encountered it. The idea behind the set is that very few Pokemon carry more than one attack that can severely hurt Heatran, and by using Torment of on them, said Pokemon must either switch out or stay in and engage in a long, brutal stall war. Pokemon who wield a Choice item are especially affected by Torment, for they must Struggle every other turn if they choose to stay in. Substitute and Protect allows Heatran to both scout and shield itself from moves that can harm it. Lava Plume is chosen so that Heatran can slowly chip away the opponent's health. Taunt may also be useful for preventing opponents from setting up on Heatran.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The EVs in HP give Heatran the highest possible Leftovers number, and the EVs invested in Speed ensure that Heatran will outspeed Jolly Tyranitar. Like the specially defensive set, Toxic Spikes support is recommended. Both All three of Roserade, Scolipede,(comma) and Forretress can accomplish this and draw in Fire-type attacks for Heatran to soak up. Sandstorm support is also recommended, but not required. Hippowdon is recommended because it functions better on stall and semi-stall teams than Tyranitar. Tyranitar and Heatran also share three weaknesses together. Pokemon who can phaze Heatran out and Rest off the damage, such as RestTalk Suicune, Gyarados, Vaporeon, and Milotic are troublesome. Thundurus and Celebi can take care of them with their powerful STAB Thunderbolt and Leaf Storm, respectedly. In addition, be aware that there are many Pokemon who outspeed Heatran, and can land a dangerous attack on Heatran if it loses its Substitute or does not use Protect in time. Prediction is extremely important to make this set work.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>There aren't too many other options that Heatran has. Moves such as Flash Cannon or Dark Pulse sound appealing, but a STAB Fire Blast or Overheat will usually outdamage these moves, even if they are super effective. Heatran can opt to use Eruption with a Quiet nature on a Trick Room team. If this is done, it is advised to carry another Fire-type move, as repeated damage slowly makes Eruption useless. Magma Storm is a buffed-up Fire Spin and enables Heatran to trap its foes. Sadly, its 75% accuracy makes it difficult to utilize. Finally, Heatran can run a RestTalk set to tank hits and recover health at the same time.</p>

[Checks & Counters]

<p>Bulky Water-type Pokemon are a big threat to Heatran, especially to sets that do not run Hidden Power Grass. If these Pokemon can cure themselves from status, they can also take on the Torment and Specially Defensive sets. Hydration Vaporeon, ChestoRest Kingdra and CroCune are a few example of Pokemon who can do this. Chansey and Blissey do not mind any attacks except for Toxic, and can wall it quite easily. Latios and Latias may not like Hidden Power Ice or Dragon Pulse, but they can usually survive an attack and pummel Heatran with Surf. On the offensive side, Air Balloon Terakion Terrakion can outspeed any non-boosed boosted Heatran, takes neutral damage from its attacks at worse, and can proceed to KO with Close Combat. Speaking of Air Balloon, popping the item makes Heatran suddenly vulnerable to Pokemon such as Excadrill and Garchomp.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Heatran's Dream World ability is Flame Body. This may be useful on some defensive sets in order to buff up Heatran's defense. In addition, Flame Body prevents the rare, but incredibly annoying, Trace Gardevior and Porygon2 from setting up on it. However, Flash Fire is usually the better option, otherwise, it would be taking neutral damage from Fire-type attacks. The more resistance, the better.</p>

Unofficial check, I'll edit the rest in later. You should make sure to change all the mentions of "Nitro Charge" to "Flame Charge".

http://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/485.shtml

[Overview]

<p>Heatran exited generation IV as the most used Pokemon in OU. This comes at no suprise surprise, for Heatran's impressive defensive stats, Fire / Steel typing, and ability enables him enable it to wall a huge portion of the metagame. It is no slouch offensively, either (add space) - a base 130 Special Attack stat combined with a good offensive movepool makes even dedicated counters winch (I think you've combined "flinch" and "wince" here). In this generation, things appear to be even better for it. Heatran now gets Nitro Charge Flame Charge, a move that boosts its only mediocre stat, Speed. Air Balloon, a new item, allows it to switch into Ground-type moves with ease impunity. The popularity of Pokemon like Ferrothorn allow allows Heatran to switch in with ease and create momentum on your side. However, with the nerf to Explosion, Blissey and Eviolite Chansey are now the perfect counter perfect counters to Heatran. Heatran also has to deal with Latios and Latias, previous Ubers who now find themselves in the same tier as Heatran. In addition, Fighting-type Pokemon are extremely popular, so it may have trouble staying in Heatran may often be forced out by threat of a powerful STAB Fighting-type attack. Nevertheless, it is clear that Heatran will remain a top threat for quite a while.</p>

[SET]
name: All-Out Attacker
move 3: Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Grass]
item: Air Balloon / Life Orb

[Set Comments]

<p>Heatran's typing enables it to switch into a variety of attacks, and it's its acceptable movepool also allows it to threaten many Pokemon at once. Air Balloon takes this to a whole new level by allowing Heatran to switch into Earthquake, a move that used to send chills down its spine. For example, with an Air Balloon attached, it can check any Excadrill that does not carry Brick Break. However, Air Balloon is instantly popped if Heatran is hit by an attack. Although the introduction of team preview makes prediction easier, however, caution should still be exercised to ensure that Heatran does not use up its item for nothing.</p>

<p>Fire Blast is a wickedly powerful STAB move, easily destroying anything that does not resist it. If the 85% accuracy is troublesome, Flamethrower is a viable alternative. However, the loss of power may be very noticeable. Earth Power is useful in dealing with other Heatran, as well as in situations where using Fire Blast may not be a good idea (such as against a Drizzle team). and provides decent coverage alongside your Fire-type STAB move of choice. The choice of Hidden Powers depends on with which Pokemon trouble your team more. Hidden Power Ice takes out Gliscor, Landorus and Garchomp, although it will need to attack the latter two on the switch. Hidden Power Grass is more sutable suitable for dealing with Water-types such as Quagsire and Gastrodon. (You may want to mention Lati@s for HP Ice and Jellicent and Starmie for HP Grass.) Heatran is also one of the few Pokemon who can happily use Stealth Rock without any compatibility issues.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The EVs are very simple and allows Heatran to deal as much damage as possible. A Modest nature is suggested because there are few notable Pokemon that can be outsped with Timid. Nevertheless, feel free to use Timid if outspeeding a certain Pokemon is nessessary necessary. If Heatran already has a teammate that already uses carries Stealth Rock, then Nitro Flame Charge, Taunt, or Substitute may go in the fifth fourth slot. Nitro Flame Charge boosts Heatran's only mediocre set, stat, Speed, and can allow it to sweep quite more easily lategame once its checks and counters are have been removed. Taunt is notable for stopping Chansey or Blissey from setting up on Heatran, although it cannot do much to them in return. Substitute gives Heatran a safeguard from status effects and allows it to scout the opponent. Be aware, though, that Substitute does not prevent Air Balloon from being popped if the Substitute is destroyed attacked.</p>

<p>Pokemon who naturally draw Fire-type attacks make good partners. Ferrothorn and Skarmory are some two excellent examples. These Pokemon also support Heatran by laying down entry hazards, giving it a better chance at sweeping. Scizor also naturally draws in Fire-type attacks, and can easily take on Chansey and Blissey. Celebi and Sigilyph have good defensive synergy with Heatran, and both either resist or are immune to the Fighting- and Ground-type attacks that pester it. Heatran also makes a viable addition to Sun teams, as it prevents opponents from abusing the Sun by firing off Fire-type attacks.</p>

<p>Heatran is not without its fair share of counters, though. With the nerf to Explosion, special walls such as Chansey and Blissey can easily wall this set to Kingdom Come. Luckily, these two walls fall very easily to powerful physical attacks. Scizor deserves a special mention here, as not only can it use Superpower to take care of them, it also naturally draws in Fire-type attacks for Heatran to abuse. Latios and Latias can also use their special bulk to shrug off most attacks (although Hidden Power Ice will hurt) and pummel Heatran with Surf. For this reason, a Tyranitar wielding a Choice Scarf may be a useful teammate. Surf will sting Tyranitar, but it can outspeed, trap, and OHKO Latios and Latias. Kingdra and Gyarados take, at worse worst, neutral damage from Heatran's attacks, and can dent severely damage it with their STAB Water-type attacks. If it Heatran lacks Hidden Power Grass, Rotom-W can also cause Heatran some problems as well wall it. Thundurus can outspeed these Pokemon and either cripple them with status, or fire off powerful Thunderbolts at them. Terrakion can outspeed Heatran and proceed to attack with Close Combat, making it a notable threat. Gliscor can switch into Close Combat easily and does not mind Terrakion's other attacks. Gliscor also can switch into any Ground-type move aimed at Heatran.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf

[Set Comments]

<p>Heatran's Speed stat has always been a severe letdown. However, with a Choice Scarf attached, it now becomes a blazingly fast Pokemon that reaches 458 speed with a Timid nature, enabling it to check and revenge-kill many Pokemon. Overheat is a mighty powerful STAB attack that dents many Pokemon who dare switch into Heatran. It may be strange to have Flamethrower in the second slot, as Overheat hits the same threats that Flamethrower does. However, Overheat's -2 Special Attack recoil may make it inadvisable in some situations. Earth Power gives Heatran a way to deal with opposing Heatrans, and is your best option against Steels if Fire-type moves are inadvisable (such as against a Drizzle team). Hidden Power Ice suits this set nicely by enabling Heatran to destroy Landorus, Gliscor, and Dragon-type Pokemon who are 4x weak to Ice-type moves. Dragon Pulse is an alternative to hit Latios, Latias, and Sazandora Hydreigon for more damage, however, but Hidden Power Ice is usually the better choice of the two.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>A Timid nature and 252 EVs in Speed enable Heatran to outspeed Pokemon with a base speed of 130 and below. If these Pokemon are not a huge threat, Heatran can opt to use a Modest nature instead. One important thing to notice is that this Choice Scarf set is more risky to use than the All-Out Attacker set, as Choice Scarf can allow the foe to switch into an appropriate counter with ease. Therefore, prediction is vital to using Scarf Heatran to the fullest extent. Thankfully, team preview makes prediction much more easier.</p>

<p>Although it is fast, Choice Scarf Heatran is not quite as powerful as the All-Out Attacker or Choice Specs set. Therefore, teammates who can soften up the opposing team therefore make wonderful partners to for Heatran. There are quite a few Pokemon who can do this, but some notable examples include Latios, Gyarados, Celebi and Scizor. All of these Pokemon share excellent defensive synergy with Heatran. Another problem that Heatran has are is bulky Water-type Pokemon. Suicune, Swampert, Quagsire and others can switch into Overheat or Flamethrower with ease and proceed to threaten Heatran with powerful Water-type attacks. Ferrothorn does not mind Water-types much can switch in on the aforementioned Water-types and can proceed to set up entry hazards and Leech Seed on them. On the offensive side, Thundurus, Virizion, and Celebi can hammer away at these Pokemon with their powerful attacks. Heatran can even opt to run Hidden Power Grass over Flamethrower to deal with them. The loss of Hidden Power Ice would not be too severe since Gliscor and Landorus take heavy damage from Overheat, and Garchomp is demolished by Dragon Pulse. Chansey and Blissey once again walls this set, but they are fairly easy to deal with in return. Powerful physical attacks should take care of them in no time.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Overheat / Fire Blast
move 2: Dragon Pulse
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Flamethrower
item: Choice Specs

[Set Comments]

<p>Unlike the Choice Scarf set, the task of this set is to tear, rip and burn massive holes into the opponent's team, leaving other Pokemon to clean up the remainder. With a Choice Specs attached, Overheat becomes a terrifying move. For example, Overheat cleanly 2HKOs Latios after Stealth Rock damage. Unfortunately, Overheat's Special Attack drop forces Heatran to become a hit-and-run Pokemon. Fire Blast enables Heatran to stay in longer, at the cost of having a slightly lower accuracy and Base Power. Dragon Pulse and Earth Power are there primarily for coverage, the former hitting Dragon-type Pokemon while the latter is useful for opposing Heatrans, Tyranitar, and others. Hidden Power Grass takes care of bulky variants of Rotom-W, Gyarados, and other Water-types. If Heatran already has teammates that can take care of them, then Flamethrower is an alternative. It may seem redundant to run two Fire-type moves on one set, however, but keep in mind that both Fire Blast and Overheat have negative qualities about them that may make using those moves unsuitable inadvisable in certain scenarios.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Just like the All-Out Attacker set, xaximum maximum Special Attack and a Modest nature are desirable for Heatran to wreak as much damage as possible. A Timid nature may be useful if a certain threat needs to be outsped. Since Heatran will hopefully cause massive damage to the opponent's team, Pokemon who can clean up and pick off any survivors make good teammates. Conkeldurr, Scizor, and Azumarill can use their powerful priority attacks to accomplish this. Pokemon who wield do a good job at Choice Scarf are well suited to using a Choice Scarf, such as Garchomp, or Pokemon who are naturally fast, such as Latios or Starmie, also make good cleaners.</p>

<p>Once again, Chansey and Blissey can sponge all of Heatran's attacks, although repeated attacks will quickly wear them down. Due to the sheer power of Choice Specs, bulky Water-type Pokemon may have some difficulty switching in. However, if Heatran does not run Hidden Power Grass, then Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Gyarados and Suicune can usually survive an attack and retaliate. Besides these, this set shares similar checks and counters to the All-Out Attacker set. The only difference, though, is that counters will have a hard time switching in without losing a massive larger chunk of health.</p>

[SET]
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Lava Plume
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Protect / Earth Power / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Stealth Rock / Roar
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[Set Comments]

<p>Although Heatran is primarily used as an offensive Pokemon, one should not forget about its defensive options. Base 106 defenses, immunity to Toxic and a wide supportive movepool makes it a powerful wall. A specially defensive set is used over a physically defensive set because Lava Plume's high burn rate enables Heatran to shrug off many physical hits. In addition, the most common physical moves aimed at Heatran are usually Close Combat, High Jump Kick and Earthquake, attacks that would easily OHKO - 2HKO Heatran regardless of investment in Heatran's Defense stat.</p>

<p>Lava Plume is chosen due to its high 30% burn rate, which makes Heatran incredibly difficult to take down on the physical side. Toxic enables it to dispose of Chansey, Blissey, bulky Water-type Pokemon, and other defensive Pokemon who would otherwise wall Heatran. The third moveslot depends on how you wish to use Heatran. Protect takes a defensive route by shielding Heatran from attacks while also enabling it to recover health as the foe slowly dies to burn or poison damage. Substitute is a viable alternative to Protect, and can potentially last longer as it eases prediction. However, Pokemon that can take Lava Plume with ease, immune such as Tentacruel, Jellicent , Gliscor, the Lati twins, and opposing Heatran, can trouble it Heatran if it only has a Fire-type move. chooses to run these moves. Therefore, Earth Power and Hidden Power Ice are recommended to enable Heatran to take out these threats. The last moveslot is geared to support Heatran's teammates. Steath Rock makes it easier for offensive teammates to sweep the opponent's team, whereas Roar is useful for phazing out an enemy sweeper or troublesome wall.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Team support is vital in order to fully abuse specially defensive Heatran. For starters, Heatran greatly appreciates Toxic Spikes support, as this enables it to forgo Toxic for another move. Forretress can lay down Toxic Spikes (and other entry hazards) and attracts Fire-type attacks for Heatran to soak up. Tentacruel can also do the same job, and resists Heatran's Fighting-type weakness in exchange for sharing a weakness to Ground-type moves. If this is done, then a spinblocker is required. Jellicient is a good candidate due to its excellent synergy with Heatran. Wish support is also recommended because Heatran has no form of recovery outside of Rest and Leftovers. Chansey does a good job at this, but one must be wary of their weakness to Fighting-type moves. Vaporeon works well, as she can literally absorb any Water-type attacks aimed at Heatran. Although a bit unorthodox, Wish + Dragon Tail Salamence has excellent synergy with Heatran and should be considered.</p>

<p>One common Pokemon who can dangeously counter this set is Guts Conkeldurr, who can easily abuse Burn or Toxic damage to power up its attack. Heatran can't do much to it since it is not running any EVs in Special Attack. Gliscor deals with Conkeldurr easily, especially Fling + Acrobat versions. A strong special attacker that resists Mach Punch, such as Tornundus or Starmie, also works. If Heatran does not run Roar, then Calm Mind Reuniclus can slowly work its way up to +6 Special Attack, and deal severe damage with Focus Blast. Reuniclus absolutely hates powerful, super-effective physical attacks from the likes of Scizor or Tyranitar, though.</p>

[SET]
name: TormenTran
move 1: Torment
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Protect
move 4: Lava Plume / Taunt
evs: 244 HP / 44 SpD / 220 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>This is the notoriously infamous Torment Heatran set that made players rip their hair, gouge out their eyeballs, and jump out of a window as soon as they encounter it. The idea behind the set is that very few Pokemon carry more than one attack that can severely hurt Heatran, and by using Torment of them, said Pokemon must either switch out or stay in and engage in a long, brutal stall war. Pokemon who wield a Choice item are especially affected by Torment, for they must Struggle every other turn if they choose to stay in. Substitute and Protect allows Heatran to both scout and shield itself from moves that can harm it. Lava Plume is chosen so that Heatran can slowly chip away the opponent's health. Taunt may be useful for preventing opponents from setting up on Heatran.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The EVs in HP give Heatran the highest possible Leftovers number, and the EVs invested in Speed ensure that Heatran will outspeed Jolly Tyranitar. Like the specially defensive set, Toxic Spikes support is recommended. Both Roserade, Scolipede and Forretress can accomplish this and draw in Fire-type attacks for Heatran to soak up. Sandstorm support is also recommended, but not required. Hippowdon is recommended because it functions better on stall and semi-stall teams than Tyranitar. Tyranitar and Heatran also share three weaknesses together. Pokemon who can phaze Heatran out and Rest off the damage, such as RestTalk Suicune, Gyarados, Vaporeon, and Milotic are troublesome. Thundurus and Celebi can take care of them with their powerful STAB Thunderbolt and Leaf Storm, respectedly. In addition, be aware that there are many Pokemon who outspeed Heatran, and can land a dangerous attack on Heatran if it loses its Substitute or does not use Protect in time. Prediction is extremely important to make this set work.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>There aren't too many other options that Heatran has. Moves such as Flash Cannon or Dark Pulse sound appealing, but a STAB Fire Blast or Overheat will usually outdamage these moves, even if they are super-effective. Heatran can opt to use Eruption with a Quiet nature on a Trick Room team. If this is done, it is advised to carry another Fire-type move, as repeated damage slowly makes Eruption useless. Magma Storm is a buffed-up Fire Spin and enables Heatran to trap its foes. Sadly, its 75% accuracy makes it difficult to utilize. Finally, Heatran can run a RestTalk set to tank hits and recover health at the same time.</p>

[Checks & Counters]

<p>Bulky Water-type Pokemon are a big threat to Heatran, especially to sets that do not run Hidden Power Grass. If these Pokemon can cure themselves from status, they can also take on Torment and Specially Defensive sets. Hydration Vaporeon, ChestoRest Kingdra and CroCune are a few example of Pokemon who can do this. Chansey and Blissey do not mind any attacks except for Toxic, and can wall it quite easily. Latios and Latias may not like Hidden Power Ice or Dragon Pulse, but they can usually survive an attack and pummel Heatran with Surf. On the offensive side, Balloon Terakion can outspeed any non-boosed Heatran, takes neutral damage from its attacks at worse, and can proceed to KO with Close Combat. Speaking of Air Balloon, popping the item makes Heatran suddenly vulnerable to Pokemon such as Excadrill and Garchomp.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Heatran's Dream World ability is Flame Body. This may be useful on some defensive sets in order to buff up Heatran's defense. In addition, Flame Body prevents the rare, but incredibly annoying, Trace Gardevior and Porygon2 from setting up on it. However, Flash Fire is usually the better option, otherwise, it would be taking neutral damage from Fire-type attacks. The more resistance, the better.</p>

Still no word on restalk?
Take a look at the metagame, now see how nearly all the most used Pokemon sans Scizor and Ferrothorn (Scizor does have Superpower, but whatever) have a way of smashing Heatrans ugly face in. Now look at the most commonly used moves, and see how Heatrans weak to Fighting, Ground, and Water, 3 of the most common attacking types. put this all together, and you will see why Resttalk Heatran is not getting a set.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Berserker Lord, why don't you try using the set instead of acting like you're the fucking expert? If you're going to disagree with me make a better argument than "oh, he has weaknesses, durr!"

Heatran isn't going to get his face smashed in because only an idiot would leave him in against ground or fighting moves. If you give him special defense investment he can take water moves easily, and even some fighting moves. He can burn DDgyara with lava plume and rest off the damage. He walls ninetales all day. 91/196/106 with 12 resistances isn't worthy of a set with recovery?

I've mentioned this before and I'll mention it again. An opposing heatran switching into lava plume cannot KO with earth power, while you KO back with minimal special attack investment provided he doesn't have specs.

Instead of making a new post, I'll just edit this in here. It really doesn't matter that heatran has weaknesses. Ferrothorn does just fine with his fire and fighting weaknesses. The amount of things that heatran can wall or disrupt is huge. Restalk lets him stick around and be even more annoying.

QC team, I don't get it. Why do all the analyses have to be as short as possible? If heatran can run 14 viable sets why not list them?

Why mention Flame Charge in the overview if it isnt on any of the sets?
This. I've personally have had a good bit of success using a SubCharge set:

Heatran @ Petaya Berry
Modest / Timid
4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe

Substitute
Flame Charge
Flamethrower / Fire Blast
Earth Power / Dragon Pulse

Switch in on something you know will switch out, preferably slower than you, like Ferrothorn. Sub up on the switch to scout your counter. If it's not a Flash Fire poke, or something that still outspeeds after a Flame Charge (like Scarfchomp), use Flame Charge while they break the sub, then keep subbing till you activate the Petaya, and sweep. The HP is divisible by 4, so entry damage shouldn't make much difference.

If it IS something like Scarfchomp, attack it once for free and GTFO! You've now scouted and worn down your main counter, and you can try again later.

Obviously, works best with teammates that lure and kill priority users, fast pokes (115+ and up with Modest Heatran) and the aforementioned scarfers.

On the last slot, you decide what you'd rather get walled by. Earth Power covers you against other Flash Fire users, especially other Heatran, while Dragon Pulse gives you an SE hit on all the Dragon-types running rampant through OU.

Of course, you could run three attacks with Flame Charge; it's also viable and much more aggressive, but you must beware of your initial switch-in, lest you give out a free Flash Fire boost, or be forced out by something significantly faster. You also lose the status-and priority-blocking effects that Substitute gives you, so pick your poison.

*Note--most of my testing is from IR mode, where there is no Team Preview. Flame Charge + 3 attacks is potentially better (bust still more difficult to use) if Team Preview is in effect*

EDIT:

Like King of Nubs, I run Sub on most my SpDef sets, just to scout switches and roar away stuff i can't deal with otherwise.. Shouldn't sub at least be slashed in on the SpDef set? I see it a lot more often that i see protect to be honest. Stalling a turn of toxic/burn damage isn't as useful as being behind a sub in most cases..
I'd have to agree with this, as I used to run Protect on my SpDef Tran, and I honestly never ever used it, except in rare occasions when I wanted to scout for choiced Earthquakes and Earth Powers. Substitute > Protect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)