XY OU Hawlucha Strikes Back

Hawlucha Strikes Back

*Hawlucha after seeing Aegislash banned to Ubers*

Intro:
I always liked the design and competitive style that was Hawlucha but the over presence of Aegislash in OU was a real thorn in Hawlucha's side for the early meta which required Pursuit trappers like Bisharp and Tyranitar as partners to be viable at all in OU. But with Aegislash gone it now has breathing room and can "Strike Back" fear into those in this tier. Almost as if timed, I recently won a giveaway contest hosted by chester0334 for a 5 IV Shiny Unburden Hawlucha hatched via Masuda Method.

*Note: Cause this is an in-game team, I don't really have access to legendary pokes.

Adamant | Unburden
8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Swords Dance
Acrobatics
Hi Jump Kick
Sky Attack

Hawlucha serves as the team's primary sweeper, but with only one chance to attempt it. All counters must be eliminated or severely weakened before I attempt to sweep. So in most cases Hawlucha will take a back seat until late game, and if for some reason he is out early/mid game, Hi Jump Kick to soften up switch ins if the opponent's team lacks a Ghost poke. Once a sweep is to be attempted, Swords Dance on predicted switches, and then proceed to Sky Attack to rid of the Power Herb and activate Unburden. Acrobatics covers for Ghost, Fairy, Psychic, Poison, Bug, and Flying pokes that are immune/resistant to Hi Jump Kick. Adamant > Jolly, because once Unburden activates the extra speed Jolly provides is useless, and Hawlucha needs all the attack it can get to boost its average base attack.

->

Timid | Lightning Rod -> Intimidate
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
HP Ice
Volt Switch
Overheat
Thunderbolt

Manectric is another potential sweeper that can also keep momentum with Volt Switch but its main function is to rid of some of Hawlucha's counters, namely Thundurus, Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir. Otherwise Manectric can switch in on predicted electric attacks or T-Wave for a nice boost to its Attack and attempt a sweep. HP Ice OHKO's Landrous, Dragonite, and Garchomp while Overheat OHKO's Ferrothorn, Scizor, Lucario, and Excadrill. Special Walls like Chansey/Blissey can still be a problem even after a boost but that's where Hawlucha comes in.

Adamant | Mold Breaker
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Rapid Spin
Rock Slide
Iron Head
Earthquake

Excadrill rids of hazards but also counters Unaware Clefable which stops Hawlucha in its tracks. Ridding Hazards is important for Manectric since he likes to Volt Switch a lot. It might seem weird to use Air Balloon cause I already have Hawlucha to possibly come in on predicted ground attacks but since I wanna save Hawlucha for last, Excadrill is a better fit for this. Earthquake+Iron Head are a great STAB combo with Rock Slide for predicted Thundurus and Talonflame switch ins that resist his STAB.

Relaxed | Sand Stream
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Stealth Rocks
Ice Beam
Fire Blast
Crunch

Tyranitar is one of the best Stealth Rock users in the tier, mostly cause it counters some other lead pokemon as well. Fire Blast roasts leads like Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Forretress attempting to set up hazards while Sand Stream renders Focus Sash leads like Smeragle and Galvantula. Ice Beam prevents it from being useless against Gliscor, Garchomp, and Landrous-T switch ins. Pursuit is rather weak without investment so I opted for Crunch instead, tho Rock Slide/Stone Edge is still in consideration as an option.

Timid | Magic Guard
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
HP Ice
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball
Psyshock

Alakazam is my revenge killer. With Focus Sash+Magic Guard it worries little about Hazards and boosted/choice scarfed pokes its sent in to kill, tho hopefully they have some prior damage. Psyshock hits special walls like Chansey/Blissey better and also greatly counters Assualt Vest Conkledurr. Otherwise Shadow Ball is used for Physic and Ghost types, Focus Blast for Dark and Steel Types, and HP Ice to nab those 4x weak pokes.

I'm having trouble choosing a 6th slot.......

A special wall? A pivot?
Another sweeper? I'm really stumped on what I should choose.

Open to all criticism, flame away!

I already have Alakazam for revenge killing and I'd like to limit the number of turns Sand is up to reduce damage to his fellow teammates. Moldbreaker is mostly for making Rotom-W less of a problem. If he was Life Orb + Sword Dance then maybe you'd have a point but I don't see the point here. Perhaps I should opt for a more bulky Assault Vest set tho.....

A water type does sound logical. Belly Drum Azumarill has almost always been quite good for me....

Never heard of the Sub+Sitrus set for Hawlucha. Gonna look into it.

Please change your excadrill's ability to sand rush. Without sand rush excadrill is relatively slow and will have a hard time spinning against offense and excadrill can outspeed scarfers that threaten alakazam. Also seconding Denis's suggestion of the sub-sitrus berry hawlucha set.

I suggest Vaporeon as a 6th slot. It is a special wall and is immune to water; something you have no resists to.

I'd also use Dazzling Gleam > HP Ice on Alakazam. It is generally better in most situations.

I would also run Pursuit to pursuit trap Latios/Latias and other Pokemon over Crunch on Tyranitar.

While Ice Beam sounds like a good choice, I'd run that for Vaporeon (a suggestion I made). I'd run Rock Slide over Ice beam on TTar.

And try Sand Rush Excadrill since TTar provides the sandstorm for it.

Your team really looks solid, just try some of the suggestions I gave you. Good luck with your laddering!

I suggest Vaporeon as a 6th slot. It is a special wall and is immune to water; something you have no resists to.

I'd also use Dazzling Gleam > HP Ice on Alakazam. It is generally better in most situations.

I would also run Pursuit to pursuit trap Latios/Latias and other Pokemon over Crunch on Tyranitar.

While Ice Beam sounds like a good choice, I'd run that for Vaporeon (a suggestion I made). I'd run Rock Slide over Ice beam on TTar.

And try Sand Rush Excadrill since TTar provides the sandstorm for it.

Your team really looks solid, just try some of the suggestions I gave you. Good luck with your laddering!
Excadrill can also run Life Orb in the Sand Rush set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)