Hail to the Fridge - My First Warstory

Hey everyone, it's Uselesscrab. This was one of my first 20 NU battles, and this is my first warstory, so bear with me. I don't have anything too innovative on my team yet, either.

Let's begin!

Uselesscrab joined.
TheGoldenBlueberry joined.
Format: NU
Rated battle
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: OHKO Clause
Rule: Moody Clause
Rule: Evasion Clause
Uselesscrab's team:
Rotom-Frost /
Braviary /
Snover /
Duosion /
Samurott /
Wartortle

I just assembled this team. I figured that I might as well use hail, since it's new to NU. Obviously, I need Snover. So I used a standard defensive Snover set, just hoping to frustrate opponents and make Snover more than dead weight on my team.

I also couldn't pass up the power of Scarfed Rotom-Freeze on a hail team. With Rotom's great special attack, I wanted to take every opportunity to fire off 100% accurate Blizzards. I also have Trick, Volt Switch and Thunderbolt.

My team was obviously weak to Fighting, Fire and Rock. Well, Offensive Braviary is a powerhouse, and I can use Brave Bird for fighters and Superpower for any other Ice, Dark, or Steel types who try to wall the team.

Samurott is another nice physical attacker who takes care of Fire and Rock-types. With one Swords Dance, Samurott becomes extremely strong. I use Waterfall, Megahorn and Aqua Jet as attacks.

Like Smogon's analysis put it, Duosion looks unassuming, but is actually really powerful. It is tied for the the second-highest special attack stat in NU, behind only Glaceon, and I don't want yet another Ice type. Plus, with Eviolite, it gains decent bulk of 65/75/75. I use Psyshock over Psychic to hit special walls. Finally, Magic Guard is great. I can't be damaged by my own hail, and sometimes, unsuspecting opponents will try to poison me, or rack up damage with Stealth Rock.

My team was looking very offensive, so I added Wartortle, who can absorb many attacks. I needed a spinner, because half my team is weak to Stealth Rock, and no one resists it. I also have Scald and Toxic to be annoying.

Nicknames: Paper = Snover, Courage = Braviary, WNY = Samurott, Du = Duosion, Wave = Wartortle, Shine = Rotom-F

TheGoldenBlueberry's team:
Bronzor /
Ditto /
Noctowl /
Seismitoad /
Leafeon /
Altaria

As for my opponent's team, he's using a couple unusual Pokemon, like the relatively uncommon Ditto and Bronzor. However, Ditto is a dangerous revenge killer, and Bronzor has 129 defenses with Eviolite. He also has what I'm guessing is a support Noctowl and some nice offensive pokemon in Seismitoad, Leafeon and Altaria. What I notice right away is my great matchup — Altaria is 4x weak to Ice, and Noctowl and Leafeon are 2x weak.

Uselesscrab: gl
Battle between Uselesscrab and TheGoldenBlueberry started!

Uselesscrab sent out Shine (Rotom-Frost)!

TheGoldenBlueberry sent out Bronzor!

Turn 1

TheGoldenBlueberry called Bronzor back!

TheGoldenBlueberry sent out Ditto!
The foe's Ditto transformed into Rotom-Frost!

Shine used Trick!
Shine switched items with the foe's Ditto!
The foe's Ditto obtained one Choice Scarf!
Shine obtained one Choice Scarf!

I wanted to sabotage his Defensive Bronzor with Trick, but I end up gaining nothing and being stuck in an uncomfortable speed tie. Not a great start.

Turn 2
TheGoldenBlueberry: u2

The foe's Ditto used Volt Switch!
It's not very effective... Shine lost 22% of its health!

TheGoldenBlueberry called Ditto back!

TheGoldenBlueberry sent out Seismitoad!

Shine used Blizzard!
The attack of Shine missed!

He uses Volt Switch, doing very little damage, and sends in Seismitoad, expecting me to do the same and switch into a counter. However, I go for Blizzard, which would have been nice to hit with, but I don't have hail set up yet.

Turn 3

TheGoldenBlueberry called Seismitoad back!

Shine used Blizzard!
It's not very effective... The foe's Bronzor lost 25% of its health!

I hit this time, but on his Bronzor. The damage is okay, but I have to switch again. I might as well start the hail.

Turn 4

Uselesscrab called Shine back!

Uselesscrab sent out Paper (Snover)!
Paper's Snow Warning whipped up a hailstorm!

The foe's Bronzor used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around your team!
The hail crashes down.

The foe's Bronzor is buffeted by the hail!

He sets up rocks, which is problematic, as I've already established. But hey, I might as well make my Snover useful and set up Leech Seed.

Turn 5

Paper used Leech Seed!
The foe's Bronzor was seeded!

The foe's Bronzor used Toxic!
Paper was badly poisoned!
The hail crashes down.

The foe's Bronzor's health is sapped by Leech Seed!
Paper was hurt by poison!

Paper gets hit with Toxic, but at least Leech Seed didn't miss. Now I can sap his wall's health.

Turn 6

The foe's Ditto transformed into Snover!

Paper used Blizzard!
The foe's Ditto lost 31% of its health!
The hail crashes down.

Paper restored HP using its Leftovers!

As I prepare to attack, he switches in his Imposter again, which was not a great move. Because he's Scarfed, he'll be locked in to either Blizzard or a support move. Blizzard would probably be his best choice. I decide to sustain Paper's life support by seeding his Ditto.

Turn 7

The foe's Ditto used Leech Seed!
It doesn't affect Paper...

Paper used Toxic!
The foe's Ditto was badly poisoned!
The hail crashes down.

The foe's Ditto was hurt by poison!

Um, ok. So, he made an even worse play. He could have sped up Paper's death with Blizzard, but instead, he's locked into a move that does nothing, and I get a free Toxic. I get to force out his Ditto without using any good Pokemon! Yay!

Turn 8

Paper used Blizzard!
It's not very effective... The foe's Bronzor lost 11% of its health!
The hail crashes down.

For some reason, Blizzard does much less damage than the first hit on the Bronzor. Unfortunately, I go for the obvious Leech Seed here...

Turn 9

TheGoldenBlueberry sent out Leafeon!

Paper used Leech Seed!
It doesn't affect the foe's Leafeon...
The hail crashes down.

The foe's Leafeon is buffeted by the hail!

...and he switches to Leafeon. I'm concerned by this thing, as I haven't seen too many yet, but Paper is going to die if he stays in for much longer. Time to bring in the big guns.

Turn 10

Uselesscrab called Paper back!

Uselesscrab sent out Du (Duosion)!

The foe's Leafeon used X-Scissor!
It's super effective! Du lost 46% of its health!
The foe's Leafeon lost some of its HP!
The hail crashes down.

The foe's Leafeon is buffeted by the hail!

X-Scissor? Wow, ok. I wasn't expecting that, but Duosion, with its nice bulk, takes the hit easily. I know I can survive one more, so I go for the Signal Beam. I have Recover in my back pocket for the next turn. Hopefully, I outspeed his next Pokemon.

Turn 11

The foe's Leafeon used X-Scissor!
It's super effective! Du lost 49% of its health!
The foe's Leafeon lost some of its HP!

Du used Signal Beam!
It's super effective! The foe's Leafeon lost 68% of its health!

The foe's Leafeon fainted!
The hail crashes down.
Uselesscrab: i like the use of Ditto

The foe's Ditto transformed into Duosion!

Du survives and Signal Beams it to death. Seeing that I have Signal Beam, he sends in Ditto, hoping to use it to revenge kill me. I'm not going to let Du die so early.

Turn 12

Uselesscrab called Du back!

Uselesscrab sent out Wave (Wartortle)!
Pointed stones Dug into Wave!

The foe's Ditto used Psyshock!
Wave lost 19% of its health!
The hail crashes down.

Wave is buffeted by the hail!

He goes for Psyshock, expecting the switch. Wave is so bulky that it doesn't matter whether he goes after Defense or Special Defense. I need to get the rocks out of the way to get some of my attackers onto the field.

Turn 13

Wave used Rapid Spin!
It's not very effective... The foe's Bronzor lost 1% of its health!
The pointed stones disappeared from around your team!
The hail crashes down.

I don't care what he brings in, those rocks are going away, because he doesn't have a spinblocker. I decide to eliminate that pesky Bronzor. Hopefully, Wave, with his mediocre Special Attack, can knock it out.

Turn 14

Wave used Scald!
A critical hit! The foe's Bronzor lost 26% of its health!

The foe's Bronzor fainted!
The hail crashes down.

TheGoldenBlueberry sent out Seismitoad!

Yay, a crit. Boo, Seismitoad. I can't attack it, so I attempt to poison it. I'm a little concerned by its power.

Turn 15

The foe's Seismitoad used Substitute!
The foe's Seismitoad put in a substitute!
The foe's Seismitoad lost 25% of its health!

Wave used Toxic!
But it failed!
The hail crashes down.

The foe's Seismitoad is buffeted by the hail!
The foe's Seismitoad restored HP using its Leftovers!

He gets the sub up, which is bad. I can't poison him, and he's protected from any attack from my switch-in. Expecting a Water-type attack, I send in Paper...

Turn 16

Uselesscrab called Wave back!

Uselesscrab sent out Paper (Snover)!

The foe's Seismitoad used Drain Punch!
A critical hit! It's super effective! Paper lost 32% of its health!
Paper had its energy drained!

Paper fainted!
The hail crashes down.

...who faints to Drain Punch. That's okay, I suppose. He did pretty well for a Snover. Now, I'm going to bring in my Braviary and shut him down.

Uselesscrab sent out Courage (Braviary)!
Turn 17

Courage used Brave Bird!
The foe's Seismitoad's substitute faded!
Courage is damaged by recoil!

The foe's Seismitoad used Ice Punch!
It's super effective! Courage lost 35% of its health!
The hail crashes down.

Courage is buffeted by the hail!

I break his sub, but that could have been disastrous. Fortunately, his Ice Punch is very weak. I can definitely live through another and KO Seismitoad.

Turn 18

Courage used Brave Bird!
The foe's Seismitoad lost 66% of its health!
Courage is damaged by recoil!

It's super effective! Courage lost 28% of its health!

Courage fainted!
The hail crashes down.

That's very unfortunate. Braviary's attack isn't quite as powerful as I would like, and he knocks me out with an Ice Punch. Duosion is slow, but so is Seismitoad. Maybe Du can land the final blow.

Uselesscrab sent out Du (Duosion)!
Turn 19

Du lost 5% of its health!

Du fainted!
The hail crashes down.

This is really taking a turn for the worse. I've lost my two best offensive Pokemon. I need to right the ship.

Uselesscrab sent out WNY (Samurott)!
Turn 20

The foe's Seismitoad used Drain Punch!
WNY lost 15% of its health!
WNY had its energy drained!

WNY used Megahorn!
The attack of WNY missed!
The hail crashes down.

WNY is buffeted by the hail!

The momentum is STILL his after Megahorn misses. I hope that he doesn't have a more powerful move to KO me, or else it's good game already.

Turn 21

The foe's Seismitoad used Earthquake!
WNY lost 32% of its health!

WNY used Megahorn!
The foe's Seismitoad lost 29% of its health!
WNY lost some of its HP!

The foe's Seismitoad fainted!
The hail crashes down.

Thank you, Samurott. Seismitoad's out of the way. However, I know Altaria resists all of my attacks, so I think he might send it in. Sure enough,

TheGoldenBlueberry sent out Altaria!

I still have Shine, though. And Altaria and Noctowl are both weak to Blizzard. I'll bring him in and hopefully take an attack relatively well.

Turn 22

Uselesscrab called WNY back!

The foe's Altaria used Dragon Pulse!
Shine lost 59% of its health!
The foe's Altaria lost some of its HP!
The hail crashes down.

The foe's Altaria is buffeted by the hail!

That was extremely bad. I know, however, that I can outspeed him. Maybe he doesn't realize that, though. I think he may go to Ditto, but I'll go for Blizzard anyway just in case he stays in or brings in Noctowl.

Turn 23

TheGoldenBlueberry called Altaria back!

The foe's Ditto transformed into Rotom-Frost!

Shine used Blizzard!
It's not very effective... The foe's Ditto lost 33% of its health!
The hail crashes down.

Well, at least it wasn't a surprise. I'm expecting a Blizzard of his own, but I don't want Shine to die now. I think Wave can take a Blizzard from Ditto easily.

Turn 24

Uselesscrab sent out Wave (Wartortle)!

The foe's Ditto used Thunderbolt!
It's super effective! Wave lost 44% of its health!

Wave fainted!
The hail crashes down.

Well, that was a misplay on my part. He predicts the switch to either of my remaining water types and that's the end of Wave. Oh well. He wasn't going to help me much anyway. I am going to bring in Shine and hope to outspeed him and KO with the Volt Switch.

Turn 25

Shine used Volt Switch!
It's not very effective... The foe's Ditto lost 12% of its health!

The foe's Ditto fainted!

Uselesscrab sent out WNY (Samurott)!
The hail crashes down.

TheGoldenBlueberry sent out Altaria!

And that is exactly what happens. I send in WNY, knowing that I can't do much with Samurott at this point. I will stay in, hoping to survive or outspeed with some kind of fluke and do as much damage as I can.

Turn 26

The foe's Altaria used Dragon Pulse!
WNY lost 25% of its health!
The foe's Altaria lost some of its HP!

WNY fainted!
The hail crashes down.

The foe's Altaria is buffeted by the hail!

It's all on Shine now. I need him to outspeed both Altaria and Noctowl and OHKO them, or else I'm toast. Support or not, Noctowl has been out the whole time and will likely win him the battle.

Turn 27

Shine used Blizzard!
It's super effective! The foe's Altaria lost 68% of its health!

The foe's Altaria fainted!
The hail crashes down.

TheGoldenBlueberry sent out Noctowl!

Okay, I'm not too surprised with that turn. Now, the decisive turn. With all the chaos and misplays in this battle, it comes down to 1v1. I'm locked into Blizzard. I need a one-hit KO.

Turn 28

Shine used Blizzard!
It's super effective! The foe's Noctowl lost 69% of its health!

Noooooo...well, that's it. Shine couldn't do his job and I've lost as a result.

The foe's Noctowl used Air Slash!
It's not very effective... Shine lost 14% of its health!

Wait...14%? That means I've still got 5% left!

The hail crashes down.

The foe's Noctowl is buffeted by the hail!
The foe's Noctowl restored HP using its Leftovers!

Apparently, his Noctowl only had the not very effective Air Slash, and suddenly, I've won. All I need to do is Blizzard one more time and remove that last third of its health.

Turn 29

Shine used Blizzard!
It's super effective! The foe's Noctowl lost 31% of its health!

The foe's Noctowl fainted!

Uselesscrab won the battle!
Ladder updating...
Ladder (probably) updated, but score could not be retrieved (corruption).
TheGoldenBlueberry: gg
Uselesscrab: very good game
TheGoldenBlueberry left.

And, it's all over. Obviously, that was a very close battle. Neither one of us was perfect, but we were evenly matched.

Props:

Shine has to be MVP. He won me the battle by knocking out each of the last three pokemon.

His Seismitoad for getting behind a sub and wrecking my team.

Slops:

Courage. For all of Braviary's awesomeness, I couldn't even KO his Seismitoad and live to fight another day.

His Noctowl, for lacking a way to do 19% damage to a Rotom-Freeze and effectively losing him the battle.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The battle wasn't bad mind you, it's just a bit straightforward for my taste. You should also pay attention to your own log when writing your warstory, for example:

Turn 8: You noticed the 2nd blizzard did much less to the Bronzor than your first one (14% difference). What you did not notice was the 1st blizzard was used by your Rotom-F, not Snover.

Turn 6: You mentioned wanting to seed his Ditto-Snover, where I started to question your skill. Turns out you Toxiced him instead, but it can still throw people off. Correct that if you'd be so kind.

There were also questionable plays from both ends:

Turn 7: Ditto had no business threatening Snover out when it is already poisoned, when any other pokemon he has (including noctowl) would have done the job better.

Turn 18: You sent in Duosion hoping to outspeed something without the aid of Trick Room...yeah...

Those were my nitpicks of this battle, but what would help the viewers tremendously is if you keep track of each combatants' health percentage so that it would be easier to follow.

Not bad for a first, keep up the good work.

tehy

Banned deucer.
The real problem with this warstory was that you basically swept everything except his ditto, which you managed to beat in any case. If you just sacrificed samurott at the end there, odds are you would've pulled out the victory. Instead, you risked losing a speed tie to lose the game.

Your opponent also didn't seem to be very good.

Punchshroom: He switched in to Ditto, I wanted to seed the Bronzor. Duosion wasn't going to be much help anyway, with 5% health or whatever, and his Seismitoad was giving him momentum at that point.

And I will try to keep track of the health for my next one. I added the link to the replay hoping people would use it alongside the warstory, but it's fine if no one did. Thanks for your feedback.

tehy: Thanks for the reply. I did sacrifice Samurott, though.

Anyway, thanks, both of you.

The link in the beginning took me to a different battle involving HrnanCastillo, might wanna check that out. Adding the health percentages on each turn would also make this much easier to read, I didn't realize how much stealth rock was taking it's toll on Rotom until the end when you mentioned it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)