Google Chrome -- A web browser by Google

http://www.google.com/chrome

Just installed this. Finally, Google decides to jump into the web browser market. The result is worth a try, there are some things about this browser that I enjoy above Firefox, notably the greater viewing area without having to switch to fullscreen mode, facilitated by the use of a minimalistic user interface, and Omnibox (Google's version of the awesome bar). While the latter won't appeal to most, seeing from the response to the thread about Firefox 3, the OmniBar also rolls in an autocomplete option (enter "darkrai s" and the list is promptly populated with 3 options; darkrai stats, darkrai serebii and darkrai smogon).

The browser is also supposed to be more stable, and word is that crashing of one tab won't cause the entire browser to go down. There is some deal about popup windows being limited to the window that spawned them, but I am yet to try it out.

There are some other features as well, such as on-the-fly resizing of Textarea objects (I've extended the message box to a greater width as I type this!), highlighting of textboxes when you focus them, etc. However a few things are still missing -- the lack of an addons feature is sorely missed (I miss having to not see ads!). Clicking the scroll wheel doesn't work here, while it did in Mozilla. There are a few rendering quirks (the Forum Tools and Search box on a listing page on the forums are shown at the bottom of the screen, unlike being displayed when clicked on, though that might be due to some odd browser detection script that implements that action, so I dunno). Also, zooming with Ctrl + and Ctrl - doesn't scroll the page to where it was before zooming -- a behavior similar to Firefox 2. Finally, I miss the quick-search (links only) feature in Mozilla, invoked by pressing ', and which is a real timesaver (press ', enter comm, hit enter, presto forums index page).

Among yet other features, a browsing mode, termed incognito browsing, is introduced that doesn't log visited sites to the history, and doesn't store cookies from any site. On the speed front, this browser is definitely fast, and certainly very efficient at memory usage (Memory usage 4196k, VM 6472k as I type this) as compared to Firefox (Memory usage 38216k, VM 27800k on startup). Definitely worth a try, though isn't replacing Firefox for me anytime soon.

Edit: This just in, the JS engine is definitely as fast as it claims, and sites that intensely rely on Javascript like Gmail, Google Docs, Mibbit etc. work noticeable faster in Chrome than they did in even Firefox 3.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I was seriously making a thread on this. Great minds think alike, huh? ;)

It looks pretty awesome, but one thing intrigues me in their license agreement though, as a friend pointed out to me. Check this out:

1. Content license from you
11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.
It probably won't be an issue in the long run for most people, but I wonder how many people know what they are potentially agreeing to.

Other than the limited licence set forth in Section 11, Google acknowledges and agrees that it obtains no right, title or interest from you (or your licensors) under these Terms in or to any Content that you submit, post, transmit or display on, or through, the Services, including any intellectual property rights that subsist in that Content (whether those rights happen to be registered or not, and wherever in the world those rights may exist)
That's section 9 of their terms of use, which seems to counteract the bit bk posted, meaning those terms only apply to google's services - ie. they can't steal everything you upload elsewhere.

This may be the final nail in internet explorer's coffin, its one thing using firefox but most non tech-savvy people won't do that but they might have a look at a browser by google and advertised on google.com. If I were mozilla though I'd be even more worried though, does this spell the end of google's bankrolling of the firefox project?

Waiting (im)patiently for them to produce a linux version... Open source is all well and good but a large chunk of their code uses the Windblows API!

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Extensions and the bit about middle clicking are going to keep me on Firefox. And I really want to stay with Firefox since I really like what they're doing, but I saw my brother using Chrome and the speed of some of those pages is pretty amazing.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
If I were mozilla though I'd be even more worried though, does this spell the end of google's bankrolling of the firefox project?
Google's renewed their advertising agreement with Firefox until 2011, so we'll see what's going on then. It's very possible that Chrome will have failed, or Firefox will have gotten popular enough not to need it.

Well, this loads the funny GIF thread way faster than FF3. Since I don't really use most of Firefox's extensions, I think I'm gonna stick with Chrome for a while because more speed and less RAM usage sounds good to me.

also, the home page that loads all pages you frequently visit without having to set anything up is very, very nice.

supposedly chrome is being designed with javascript as a main target, being the "fastest" to load any javascript stuff on sites. Chrome could potentially become the next software browser specializing in javascript. For now i'll stick with ff3 but we'll see i guess

To me, a few millimeters of extra space is all that Chrome offers since everything I have as an external program does the same thing >.>

To me, a few millimeters of extra space is all that Chrome offers since everything I have as an external program does the same thing >.>
The engine running chrome is 3x faster than mozilla's

Chrome's Webkit engine is proven to currently be the fastest at javascript and HTML loading, loading certain javascript intensive pages up to 10x faster than firefox (which runs gecko I think) and 52x faster than IE.

As for the middle mouse click, I don't really care because i'm not opening tabs in multitudes (no more than 5) and the ability to drag tabs between windows is just awesome. The minimalistic interface is perfect for me and firefox crashes too much (chrome hasn't on me so far) I'm switching to chrome until i find a major fault in it

Well I'm sold. It's only a matter of time until Mozilla plays the copying game too xd

Only problem: ToU is scary

Google Chrome needs someone to develop an extension for it that blocks ads.

I'm installing it and testing it now. If it works well, I'll switch.

I want Firefox to play the copying game. If they compete, then good things happen.

The design sucks and doesn't add too much space for me compared to the minimal Firefox skin I use, but I must say I love the Incognito browser. Everyone knows that it's not going to be used for planning "surprise birthday parties," but whatever.

I just downloaded, and am currently using Google Chrome. While it feels unfinished right now, it won't be long until it starts to become better than Firefox. This may become my new browser of choice, and after several years of using Firefox the decision to leave it is painful for me.

Google Chrome allows my computer to browse the internet at crack enhanced speeds. I don't really miss anything from Firefox except for the look, and feel of it. However within a few days I am sure I will become familiar with it.

I like it a little. I spelled smgoon.com and it sent me to a google type page that said.
Do You mean Smogon.com?

Of course with smogon.com being a hyper link. I think google chrome is good but I'd still perfer mozilla as my top internet browser.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't like the interface personally, it's too simplistic. Also, my bookmarks didn't import correctly from Firefox 3. I can't tell the difference in speed really. However, I did load it with 30+ tabs and it didn't slow down at all, so thats pretty good I guess.

I don't like the interface personally, it's too simplistic. Also, my bookmarks didn't import correctly from Firefox 3. I can't tell the difference in speed really. However, I did load it with 30+ tabs and it didn't slow down at all, so thats pretty good I guess.
That's the major difference of chrome, it runs each tab separate, therefore they load faster and if one crashes the whole browser will not fall apart

I downloaded this before seeing this thread. I was pretty impressed with the speed and whatnot. The only problem I have is that scrolling is messed up. It only lets me scroll down (then I can't go back up the page) and it scrolls uber fast. Too fast actually, I often miss things and then can't scroll back up. If I can get that problem worked out, then this will become my new browser.

I downloaded this before seeing this thread. I was pretty impressed with the speed and whatnot. The only problem I have is that scrolling is messed up. It only lets me scroll down (then I can't go back up the page) and it scrolls uber fast. Too fast actually, I often miss things and then can't scroll back up. If I can get that problem worked out, then this will become my new browser.
I actually love the fast scrolling. I don't get the scrolling up problem though.

Anyway after running a quick test, this is definitely my new browser of choice (sorry Firefox) as there is a very noticeable speed difference between the two. The only problem I really have is that sometimes when I right click a word to fix the spelling it won't register that I clicked on the word. Oh well, it is only a minor annoyance.

Edit: Ok so whenever someone sends me a link over AIM, it will open up on Firefox when I click it. Is there any way to make it so that it opens up in Chrome other than uninstalling Firefox?

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
installed this like 2-3 days back, it feels fucking awesome!

even though its a beta, i've already started using it over firefox. the only times i've used firefox is when there's some plugin not on this or something!

I hate how they display my subscriptions for youtube. The users aren't showing, the + quicklist button is gone and and all the video pictures are really seperate. Usually it takes up half the screen, with chrome its screen space is tripled. And because of scrolling it is too hard to get anything from it. I'm not noticing speed either. Instead I felt youtube is slower >.>

I'm using Chrome right now. Everything is perfect I just wish they had add-ons for this. I miss download helper and ad-block.

I hate how they display my subscriptions for youtube. The users aren't showing, the + quicklist button is gone and and all the video pictures are really seperate. Usually it takes up half the screen, with chrome its screen space is tripled. And because of scrolling it is too hard to get anything from it. I'm not noticing speed either. Instead I felt youtube is slower >.>
Same here with any browser-based video.

Same here with any browser-based video.
Are you saying that on sites like veoh, dailymotion and similar sites have the same bad formatting with chrome. I no likey.

I use video-based sites all the time. Mostly to watch some anime or videos of battles, etc.

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
hi, there is a reason why its in beta. itll most likely be completely sorted out by the time it reaches a stable release stage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)