Getting back into competitive, help me improve my team!

Hey everyone, so I just got back into pokemon with the release of 6th gen, not having played competitively since gen 4. The things that really inspired me to come back were the new mega evolutions, breeding mechanics, and such. Anyways, back in my Gen 4 days, my favorite team revolved around having a SD Lucario sweep late game, and with a new mega evolution, I thought I would try and build a team and test for a bit in Pokemon Showdown. Honestly, I think this team is pretty bad, since it involves a pretty simple strategy - run 2-3 other offensive threats to mow down the threats, then clean up with Mega Lucario. So far, this is what i've come up with:

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Jolly
Moveset:
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Bullet Punch

The star of this team. What I like to have my Lucario do is stay on standby until I clean up some checks, mainly Gliscor and Landorus-T. Usually once I feel safe, I will send out my Lucario on a resisted move, set up Swords Dance, then proceed to sweep with 240BP Close Combats. Crunch helps to deal with Gengar and Aegislash if I can outpredict him, and bullet punch for added coverage against fairies. With this guy, if I can get the right setup, Lucario can usually clean up, although occasionally, he gets deterred by bulky ground types and priority, namely mach punch conkeldurrs.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly
Moveset:
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Superpower

I keep this guy to check Gliscor and Landorus-T, as well as for revenge killing dragons like garchomp or salamence with Ice Shard. With a Life Orb boosted Ice Shard, he can dish out lots of upfront damage, and his offensive typing gives him very good coverage. One thing I always watch out for is Keldeo, who is a huge annoyance to both Lucario and Mamoswine when scarfed. Mamoswine is a staple of my team, and immensely helps out in poking holes through the enemy team and eliminating threats to Lucario.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD
Impish
Moveset:
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Classical Physical Wall. I usually get him in on a outrage locked dragon and phase it away with whirlwind, then set up spikes on mons that can't threaten me. On special attackers, I switch into either Mamoswine or Garchomp depending on if a fire blast or thunderbolt is coming, so he has decent synergy with the team's defensive typings and such. I'm not sure if I should replace this guy with ferrothorn or forretress, but right now he's not doing too shabby. Shed Shell is to escape from magnezone who would otherwise destroy this guy.

Garchomp @ Lum berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Att / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly
Moveset:
- Stealth Rocks
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Outrage

I like to lead with guy, set up rocks, then try to take down the enemy lead before switching out into skarmory on a super effective move, all of which he resists or is neutral to. After the beginning, I will usually only pull this guy out to get off an outrage to do as much damage as I can before going down. Similar to Mamoswine, he functions to setup entry hazards and punch holes before allowing Lucario to sweep. I'm considering replacing him with a better Keldeo counter, since although he can deal with Keldeo, he will usually not have much health to take him on with, since I lead with him.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold
Moveset:
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Recover

My main Special attacker of this team. This guy was picked mainly to counter Conkeldurr, who would otherwise dismantle half of my team. Reuniclus can take a hit from Conkeldurr, set up a calm mind, then OHKO with psychic. I don't have much to say about this guy, since I mostly just use him to deal with fighting types who counter my Lucario and Mamoswine hard.

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 36 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest
Moveset:
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

To be honest, this guy's main purpose is to provide WoW support to cripple strong physical attackers and annoy enemies with volt switches and rest stalling. He can counter bulky ground types like Gliscor and Volt Switch makes short work of Keldeo. I'm considering replacing this guy, but i'm not sure with what. I was thinking either a spin blocker or a special wall, but I have no idea what to add on.

This team is still in its early stages, and I will definitely consider any improvements that may be suggested. I haven't built a team myself in a while, so I would really appreciate it if you guys could pinpoint the weaknesses in my team and help me correct them!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)