Genesect (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

Scarf >specs>attacker>band>rock polish should be the order in my opinion. Specs should at the very lest be before RP, which is meh

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
PK i believe that you should mention that Genesect can go physical with max Atk evs, in the AC of the Scarf and the EB sets.

The physical Scarf set still kills what it should with Ice Beam and Tbolt, but you get a way stronger U-turn and the ability to use Iron Head for Terrakion in sand, Kyurem and Mamo, and Explosion (A +1 fast Explosion is always nice).

The physical EB set does the same thing more or less, powering up your U-turn significantly, while also giving you access to 2 nice options, Zen Headbutt and Iron Head, which can be used to catch pokes such as Terrakion, Keldeo, Conkeldurr, Tentacruel and Mamoswine by surprise.

Also you should definitely slash Thunder on the Specs set, and mention in the AC that you should really use it in a rain team. One of the biggest selling points of Specs Sect is the ability to 2HKO SpD Heatran with a +1 Thunder after SR.

As uncommon as it in in OU, should Rotom-H get a mention as a counter? With the exception of Explosion and Zen Headbutt, Rotom-H resists every single move that Genesect carries, and can slap it with Overheat or a neutral Thunder/bolt. Rotom-H can also hurt Genesects Volt-Turning buddies, as well as not being trapped by Dugtrio like Heatran is (and also throws a wrench into Lavos Sun's core).

While not common, and while I haven't done any calcs to prove my thinking, it seems that Rotom-H is an even better Genesect counter than Heatran.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i was actually thinking about that the other day, it is a solid counter in many respects... but rotom-h's stealth rock weakness is probably gonna be a huge problem when trying to counter genesect, because the mofo's gonna keep uturning. even if you volt switch right back to take the momentum advantage, you're taking residual damage faster than it is so eventually you'll lose. heatran on the other hand is neutral to SR so it can afford to switch into genesect many many more times, and heatran also has a vastly superior support movepool. it's arguable, i guess, because having volt switch makes a big difference in being able to stem genesect's momentum (underspeed it with your rotom, and you get the last word on switches), and of course levitate means you don't have to run freaking shed shell just to stay alive.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The funny thing about Rotom-H is that while it may end up "checking" Genesect, because of its own predictability and aggressive mediocrity, it's so easy to read and awful SR weak guarantees it won't last the battle as dedicated check. It doesn't really require much effort to switch out of Rotom-H with U-turn and abuse its pathetic SR weakness, which means it won't last for long in a standard battle. In that respect, it's one of the lesser Genesect checks since it at most it's switch into Genesect 2-3 times tops in a given match. It's nowhere near as good at checking Genesect as Heatran, Dugtrio considered.

As an aside, tt's not mentioned as a counter in the Scizor analysis either however and it's likely for the same reasons.

I'll mention it, but it won't get a strong mention.

Minor nitpick: I think EV spreads of 8 Atk / 248 SpA are more optimal overall. 8 Atk EVs makes Genesect's Attack stat an even number, picking up an extra point when it gains a Download. Meanwhile 248 SpA is still an even Special Attack number, so only one stat point is sacrificed for a potential two stat points. That is to say, pretending that Genesect has simultaneous boosts to Attack and Special Attack (it won't, but likely will gain a boost in both stats over the course of a battle), 8 Atk / 248 SpA gains a net extra point over 4 Atk / 252 SpA Genesect.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
PK Gaming, for the Scarf set, it's worth mentioning that 112 Atk EVs allow Genesect to OHKO max HP Latias after SR. It's a nice benchmark if anyone's looking for EVs for a stronger U-turn.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
PK Gaming, for the Scarf set, it's worth mentioning that 112 Atk EVs allow Genesect to OHKO max HP Latias after SR. It's a nice benchmark if anyone's looking for EVs for a stronger U-turn.
As for Scarf, I'd suggest adding some attack EVs to pump up U-turn a little bit. I remember running just 4 Attack in Dream World and it has always come out too weak in my opinion. I'd say something like 112 Atk / 144 SpA / 252 Spe Naive / Hasty might work better, as you can now OHKO 252/0 Latias with SR.

How is Flame Charge on this guy? Does it achieve any interesting results that Rock Polish doesn't? Haven't seen a real use for Flame Charge ever really and I would like to...

Why the Physical ScarfGene?

Max Attack/Speed EVs, Jolly/Adamant Nature

-UTurn
-Iron Head
-Explosion
-*insert move you like here*

Genesect with max attack EVs destroys ton of things, and it isn't limited to OU either. It OHKOs Mewtwo and Latios in Ubers almost guaranteed, to note.

The only thing Gene is missing is EQ to round out it's Fire weakness (specifically Heatran).

Flame charge does nothing other than get you revenge killed by scarfers without +2 speed. It doesn't have enough power to be used as a real attack, and it gets rock polish and flamethrower.

Edit: And physical scarf-sect lacks the coverage to really do its job well. Iron head and explosion suck next to bolt beam + flamethrower.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't say that as a scarfer it's "second to none", as it lacks that magic one base point of speed to kill every booster out there. As an "offensive scarfer", yes, but not as a "revenge scarfer"

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In the part that you talk about Bug Buzz on the Scarf set, you mention that no poke is capable of tanking U-turn and Bug Buzz at the same time except from Skarmory and Heatran. Well add Infernape to that list, as it takes 31% max from a +1 Bug Buzz, while U-turn hits for ~17% damage with an Atk boost.

I think you should mention somewhere that Scarfed Thundurus-T and Keldeo in the rain are good at revenging Genesect. Otherwise, good.

In the part that you talk about Bug Buzz on the Scarf set, you mention that no poke is capable of tanking U-turn and Bug Buzz at the same time except from Skarmory and Heatran. Well add Infernape to that list, as it takes 31% max from a +1 Bug Buzz, while U-turn hits for ~17% damage with an Atk boost.
That makes no sense. Every Fire-type call tank both U-turn and Bug Buzz - Volcarona, lower tier fire-types like Arcanine and Charizarrd, Terrakion, Cobalion......I dont even understand what that means.
EDIT: My point still stands. Terrakion can take both moves. Cobalion. Charizard avoids the 2hko even after SR. Spdef Arcanine avoids the 2hko. Chansey can take both moves. Some clarity would be appreciated. I know some are not OU. Charizard still has an analysis. Charizard is good vs weatherless teams but shit vs Weather teams.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
I am assuming that he means with SR up, in which case Volcarona doesn't matter, and the other pokes are not OU pokes.

• Pocket killed Giga Drain and sent it to the next dimension
wtf pocket. Giga Drain is amazing on Rock Polish, you get back Life Orb recoil and can nail Terrakion, Rotom-W, and Gastrodon at +1, all of which are commonly used to check Genesect in more offensive or balanced teams. Deserves a slash imo

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm ready for GP checks now.

Genesect was a huge undertaking... I knew that going in, but I honestly did not expect this analysis to take that long. I started more serious work on towards the end of August, and it still took about 2 months to finish it, which way. The good news is I won’t repeat these mistakes in the future, and will know how to approach a project of this size more efficiently.

I've got an amateur GP check for you!
RemoveAddComments

[Overview]

<p>The strongest of hunters from over 300 million years ago finally makes its debut in OU, and it's nothing short metagame-defining to say the least. Take your pick from its buffet of advantages; It has strong offensive stats, incredible move coverage, a fantastic typing, and a killer ability. As a Choice Scarf user, Genesect is second to none, as its wide coverage let's it revenge kill practically every single Pokemon in OU. Genesect also has access to the second-fastest U-turn in the tier Landorus-I says hi which ensures that you're almost always capable of keeping the offensive momentum with Genesect. Download supercharges either of it's offensive stats, which can result in a boosted U-turn or coverage move, either of which can deal major damage in the right circumstance. Genesect can easily force switches, and by doing so, cause any ground gained from your opponent via a switch to be lost in a counterattack if U-turn is used. If U-turn is not used, Genesect has a very high chance of OHKOing any given target with it's coverage moves, especially if Download is in play. In other words, Genesect is single handedly capable of creating 50-50 scenarios all on its own! It's also capable of running an assortment of sets, each just as dangerous as the last. All of this culminates in a Pokemon that is virtually impossible to outright counter, and extremely easy to fit on all teams. Fortunately, Genesect isn't completely invincible; finding out what set its currently using imperative to dealing with it, as each set has its own strengths and limitations. Investing in entry hazards is important, as Genesect constantly switches, and the continual damage builds up. This sounds like something that would be in the AC of its sets, and not something that would be in the Overview. Regardless, you should not underestimate this monster of a Pokemon. You do not have the luxury.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: U-turn
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Flamethrower / Bug Buzz
move 4: Thunderbolt / Bug Buzz
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Download
nature: Naive / Hasty
evs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>If you're looking for the ultimate Choice Scarf user, then look no further, as Genesect is the undisputed best Choice Scarf user in the game by a very large margin. It has a special combination of unparalleled move coverage, and a lightning quick U-turn, with just enough space to outspeed almost everything in OU. "To U-turn or not to U-turn" is a question you'll be asking yourself often. U-turn is the most important move on this set, and is the move you'll be using the majority of the time. U-turn let's Genesect scout your opponent's moves, pick off weakened threats, and for the most part keep up the offensive momentum on your side. Since Genesect is capable of practically OHKOing every single Pokemon in OU, your opponent is likely to switch out, which is where U-turn shines. Genesect is infamous for creating 50-50 scenarios in which your opponent is forced to play the guessing game. Ice Beam is a versatile coverage move, and is prized for it's ability to destroy Dragon-types, especially after a Special Attack boost. Flamethrower ensures that Steel-types such as Jirachi, Forretress and Ferrothorn don't stand a chance against Genesect. And fFinally, Thunderbolt is used for damaging Water-types such as Keldeo and Jellicent, Pokemon who are otherwise unaffected by Genesect's other moves. Between Genesect’s coverage moves and U-turn, practically every single Pokemon in OU is accounted for taken into account ending a sentence with a preposition has poor flow.</p>

<p>Bug Buzz is a worthy replacement for either Flamethrower or Thunderbolt, as it's an absurdly powerful STAB move that is difficult to switch into, especially after a Special Attack boost. Though its use over Flamethrower or Thunderbolt really depends on your team and the threats you want to cover. It's obligatory on rain teams, as rain renders Flamethrower nearly useless. The key thing about Bug Buzz is that most Bug-type resists in OU are either too frail to reliabley handle switch into it, or prioritize physical Defense over Special Defense. You'll rarely find the need to predict when using Bug Buzz since it hits everything reasonabley hard, Pokemon with resistances to Bug included. A thing to consider is that with the exceptions of Heatran, Infernape, Terrakion and Skarmory, nothing is capable of sponging U-turn AND Bug Buzz at the same time, so plan around this fact and punish opponents who expect the obvious U-turn.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Genesect's Speed and Special Attack EVs are maximized, and a Naive nature is used over Timid in order to keep U-turn's power intact. The choice between Naive or Hasty nature is entirely up to you; the former nature let's you handle Outrage from Dragon-types and Mach Punch from the likes of Breloom a little bit better, while the latter nature gives you an easier time at sponging Draco Meteors from Latios, Latias and Hydreigon. A Naive nature has the distinction of also prevents opposing Genesect from picking up an Attack boost, which may or may not be beneficial, depending on your team. If you have absolutely no intention of Speed tying with opposing Genesect, you can opt to use an spread of 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe. This gives Genesect's U-turns more punch, and allows it to outspeed everything in OU minus positive speed natured +1 Hydreigon and Haxorus. A Timid nature can be used to prevent the lowering of either of Genesect's defenses; however, this comes at the price of making U-turn noticeabley weaker.</p>

<p>Hidden Power Ground can be used over any of Genesect's coverage moves for the express purpose of one-upping Heatran. It's generally an inferior move option, and you're better off using Dugtrio as a partner to trap Heatran after a U-turn. Thunder can be used over Thunderbolt on rain teams, and the added base power makes Genesect a much more potent threat, but keep in mind Thunder has its effectiveness lowered against sandstorm and sun teams. Iron Head could be used over any coverage move to smack around Terrakion, and it's a decent physical STAB move to fall back on, especially after an Attack boost. Speaking of which, you can opt to use a Choice Scarf set with a physical spread with the addition of Iron Head and/or Explosion. A physically orientated Choice Scarf Genesect is still capable of checking the majority of OU with its coverage moves, with the added ability of having super powerful U-turns, a usable Iron Head and a powerful Explosion.</p>

<p>Since Genesect is the king of forcing switches, it should come as no surprise to learn that Genesect appreciates the presence of entry hazards. Deoxys-D is the perfect Spikes user on offensive teams, which as an aside, is a team style in which Genesect greatly thrives in. Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory are excellent hazard users on more balanced teams, though they all share a weakness to Fire-type moves. Despite being neutral to Stealth Rock, Genesect absolutely loathes having entry hazards of any kind on its side of the field. This is because Genesect makes multiple switches in any given match due to the nature of U-turn. Pairing Genesect with a Rapid Spin user is recommended; Starmie, Tentacruel and Forretress are all acceptable choices. Forretress has the privilege of having access to Rapid Spin, entry hazards, and to top it all of it also has Volt Switch, which pairs up nicely with Genesect's U-turn.</p>

<p>You don't need to go out of your way to look for Pokemon that pair up with Genesect; it synergizes with practically every Pokemon in general and it's easy to fit it into almost any team, since it usually pulls if its own weight. Out of all the potential partner candidates in OU, nothing compares to Dugtrio. Genesect and Dugtrio are nearly unstoppable together since Dugtrio is capable of trapping the closest thing to a "counter" for Genesect;: Heatran. Genesect has no problem luring Heatran out and switching directly into Dugtrio without losing momentum via U-turn. If executed correctly the Genesect + Dugtrio combo can sometimes put your opponent in a catch-22 situation. If they switch into Heatran to counter Genesect, then Genesect can U-turn into Dugtrio to trap and kill it. If your opponent refuses to switch Heatran into Genesect, there's always the chance the Genesect might net a KO on any given Pokemon. It's a formidable combination that is only bypassed by Shed Shell Heatran, so keep that in mind if someone decides to directly switch Heatran into Genesect without fear of being trapped by your Dugtrio. Genesect pairs up well with Volt Switch users since together alongside Genesect form the infamous "Volt-switch combo" that is infamously known notorious for being difficult to deal with. Volt Switch partners include: Rotom-W, Magnezone, Thundurus-T and Zapdos.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf Genesect is a lot of things - fast, powerful, difficult to deal with, effective, and game-defining. It's a rather easy Pokemon to use, and as such you should expect to see Genesect make a big play in any given match. If you want to use Genesect effectively, you should shy away from being one dimensional. While there's no harm in spamming U-turn, Genesect is a lot more effective if it KOs or seriously injures one of its checks with a coverage move. While it's often a lot safer to just U-turn, consider using a coverage move to damage one of Genesect's primary switch ins to the point where they can't switch into U-turn anymore. Once Genesect's checks are weakened, very little can stop Genesect from sweeping, especially if its picked up a Special Attack boost.</p>

[SET]
name: Rock Polish
move 1: Rock Polish
move 2: Bug Buzz / Flamethrower
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Thunderbolt / Giga Drain / Flamethrower
item: Life Orb / Expert Belt
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Genesect takes on more of a sweeping role when using Rock Polish; between it's high Special Attack and insane coverage, it should have no problem cleaving through most teams when given the chance. Genesect's auspicious typing allows it to resist nearly every single commonly used priority move in OU, and it has no problem setting up a Rock Polish due to its downright supernatural ability to force switches. After a Rock Polish, Genesect outspeeds close to everything in OU, including most Swift Swim / Chlorophyll users in their respective weathers of choice. Ideally you'll want to wait until the opponent's team has been sufficiently weakened before attempting to sweep. Most teams crumble in the face of Genesect's awesome coverage; nothing is walling the combination of Ice Beam, Bug Buzz and Thunderbolt short of dedicated special walls or Heatran, so you'll want them removed before using Rock Polish.</p>

<p>Giga Drain destroys Terrakion, Specially Defensive Rotom-W, and Gastrodon, while also maintaining coverage against most of the Pokemon that are weak against Thunderbolt. Flamethrower can be used to roast Steel-types, but since this set excels under in Rrain Dance and most Steel-types are 2HKOed by Bug Buzz or a coverage, it ends up being more of a situational move option. You should strive to take Download into account, since after Special Attack boost and a Rock Polish, Genesect is basically set to sweep through teams. It’s impossible to consistently choose what download boost Genesect receives since it's entirely dependant on your opponent, but you should try to set up on Pokemon that grant Special Attack boosts if you can.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Expert Belt can be used in place of Life Orb to bluff a Choice Scarf; you can use Genesect as a pseudo Choice Scarf user, and set up a Rock Polish during the right oppurtunity. The choice between using the Modest or Timid nature comes down to whether you want Power or the ability to outspeed non-scarf Genesect and max Speed Rotom-W. An EV spread consisting of 136 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 116 Spe with a Modest nature let's Genesect outspeed every conceivable threat in OU and it comes a hefty boost in bulk. Unfortunately, the drop in Speed makes Genesect rather slow before without a Rock Polish boost, so make sure to keep that in mind you plan on using that spread. Thunder is a valid option onrain teams, and since this set excels under in rain dance it definitely ends up being one of Genesect's better move options. Hidden Power Ground let's you bypass Heatran, though unless you have a burning hatred towards Heatran, it's not worth giving up any of Genesect's coverage moves.</p>

<p>Focus Sash might seem like a gimmicky option, but Genesect is capable of putting it to good use, as a Genesect that is guaranteed to survive a hit is pretty dangerous. Focus Sash also allows Genesect to bluff a Choice Scarf set. Rock Polish Genesect loves having entry hazards since it makes scoring OHKOs significantly easier. It should come to no surprise that Deoxys-D is the perfect partner since it’s capable of rapidly laying down entry hazards on a nearly guaranteed basis. Just think about how much more likelier Genesect can score OHKOs when every opposing Pokemon operates at 70~80% at best instead of at 100%. Rock Polish Genesect also appreciates having Pokemon that can weaken walls or teams in general since it will have an easier time sweeping lategame. Pokemon such as Choice Band Terrakion and Choice Specs Latios are great examples of Pokemon that are capable of easily wearing down walls with very little prediction on the user's part. This set requires a bit of planning to work; busting it out early game is the wrong way to use it, as a healthy Rock Polish Genesect is extremely dangerous. A properly utilized Rock Polish Genesect is capable of placing your opponent into checkmate.</p>

[SET]
name: All-out Attacker
move 3: Flamethrower
item: Expert Belt / Focus Sash
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET]

<p>This set foregoes the Speed and revenge killing ability available to the Choice Scarf set and literally turns Genesect into a killing machine. Little can stand in Genesect's way, as its incredible coverage and access to U-turn makes it extremely hard for opponents to endure it's offensive onslaught. Contrary to the Choice Scarf, there's no overwhelming need to use U-turn immediately, as the point of this set is to get in and cause as much damage as possible. Between Ice Beam, Flamethrower and Thunderbolt, it's pretty much impossible to to outright wall Genesect without resorting to dedicated special walls, which is where U-turn comes into play. U-turn is counteracts your opponent's attempts to switch in a Pokemon that can sponge Genesect's Special Attacks, (such as Heatran or Blissey). You don't even have to predict their switch in; you're free to use any attack and U-turn out to get some free damage and momentum. Like with the previous set Choice Scarf, Bug Buzz can be used over Thunderbolt as a powerful Special Attack move. Bug Buzz is ridiculously strong, and it meshes well with Flamethrower, as none of the common Bug-type resists outside of Heatran like taking Flamethrower. This set makes the most use out of Download on average, since it has the benefit of being able to switch moves. The biggest attraction to this set, however, is its ability to bluff a Choice Scarf set. Your opponent has no idea what kind of Genesect you’re using in the early game, and since Choice Scarf is ridiculously common on Genesect you're near guaranteed to pull off a bluff at least once in a given match. Capitalize on this when your opponent decides to bring something that may attempt to set up on Genesect's coverage moves and punish them accordingly.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Expert bBelt is the item of choice on this set, but Focus Sash is arguably just as effective. If you're good at keeping entry hazards off your side of the field in the early game, then Focus Sash can prove to be more useful for you since it also allows Genesect to bluff a Choice Scarf and it provides Genesect with the crucial ability of enduring any single attack. It also gives it a leg up against opposing Genesect which can come in handy in lead matchups. Life Orb can be used to power up Genesect's attacks, but its mostly detrimental to Genesect, as it does not need that boost in power, and Life Orb immediately reveals to the your opponent that you aren't using a Choice item. There's no reason to deviate from the listed nature and EVs; Non Scarf Genesect is slow as is, and choosing a Special Attack boosting nature is a pointless expenditure since Genesect doesn't really need Special Attack on this set. If you're set on using a Special Attack boosting nature, bear in mind that opposing Timid Rotom-W, Jolly Haxorus and Hydreigon can outspeed Genesect now.</p>

<p>Substitute turns Genesect into an even deadlier attacker that has the distinction of being ridiculously difficult to remove; you’ll be hard pressed to find a team that can remove a Genesect from behind a Substitute without at least losing one Pokemon or having a Pokemon ridiculously weakened, especially if Genesect has received a Special Attack boost from Download boost. Even better for Genesect, it can easily set up Substitutes since Genesect can easily bluff a choiced set. Hidden Power Ground can go over any of Genesect’s coverage moves, to better deal with Heatran, but this comes at the cost of significant killing ability and general usefulness. A physically orientated moveset with moves such as Iron Head, Zen Headbutt, or Explosion is certainly viable; U-turn receives a moderate boost in power, and Iron Head and Zen Headbutt are viable move choices that can target Pokemon like Terrakion, Tentacruel, whilst still being able to cause general mayhem with Genesect’s other coverage moves. This set loves having entry hazards on the field since nearly all of Genesect’s checks are grounded and are liable to be pushed into 2HKO-OHKO range.</p>

<p>Unlike the Choice Scarf set, this set actually has some a legitimate weaknesses, namely in the form of mediocre Speed. Genesect is now checked by a slew of faster offensive Pokemon such as Terrakion, Keldeo and fast Special Attackers in general with a Fire-type move, in addition to already being checked by defensive Pokemon like Blissey, Chansey and Heatran. Like the previous Choice Scarf set, this set benefits appreciates Dugtrio since it is capable of removing Heatran, Blissey, and Terrakion. This Genesect variant is a top notch wallbreaker, so don't hesitate to load your team up with powerful offensive Pokemon that benefit from weakened or removed walls. Dragon-types like Dragonite, Latios, Latias, and Salamence love having Genesect by their side since it's prone to weakening or killing walls before fainting, which is paramount for these Pokemon. Other insanely powerful threats such as Landorus, Keldeo, and Breloom similarly benefit from Genesect's presence.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Bug Buzz
move 2: U-turn / Giga Drain / Flamethrower
move 4: Thunderbolt
item: Choice Specs
nature: Rash / Mild

<p>Choice Specs is a no brainer on a Pokemon like Genesect; it boosts its already fantastic Special Attack and makes it exceedingly difficult to wall. Choice Specs boosted Bug Buzz is capable of annihilating pretty much anything that switches in, save dedicated special walls like Blissey or Heatran. Genesect's coverage moves pick up the slack, as they’re effective against the Pokemon that resist Bug Buzz, though for the most part you should be spamming Bug Buzz as most Pokemon that resist Bug Buzz take huge damage from it. Download is appreciated, perhaps even more so than any of Genesect's other sets since at +1, it’s Choice Specs boosted moves are pushed into overkill territory. Thunderbolt for example, is notable for being able to heavily damage Genesect's checks after a Download boost. Offensive Heatran for example, is 2HKOed by +1 Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock. U-turn should see very little use on this set as you’ll get more mileage out of spamming powerful attacking moves. Only use it when your opponent has hard stops to this set, such as Heatran or Chansey.</p>

<p>Giga Drain is a handy move to have for taking down Terrakion and Gastrodon, Pokemon that are otherwise capable of semi checking this set. Flamethrower is effective against Steel-types, though keep in mind however, that Genesect doesn't gain any notable coverage with Flamethrower as most Steel-types can barely manage getting hit by either Bug Buzz or Thunderbolt and it's useless on Rain teams. The ability to OHKO most Steel-types at any time is handy, however. The Choice Specs set is also capable of bluffing a Choice Scarf set, though the somewhat obvious increase in power will instantly give you away, so don't count on successfully bluffing more than once.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Naive or Hasty natures are decent replacements over the main natures listed, though this really only relevant against opposing Genesect, as the Pokemon that reside near Genesect's speed tier such as Haxorus or Hydreigon rarely (if ever) run max speed and this prioritizes power over Speed. It should go without saying that Thunder can be used over Thunderbolt on rain teams; take note that Choice Specs boosted Thunder is astonishingly powerful. In addition to being able to 2HKO offensive Heatran without Stealth Rock, if Genesect receives a Special Attack boost via Download, it is actually capable of 2HKOing Specially Defensive Heatran with Thunder, a feat that should speak for itself. Hidden Power Ground is actually a somewhat decent move on the Choice Specs set, since Genesect more or less has the room to fit it in, and it's capable of OHKOing Specially Defensive Heatran after Stealth Rock. This variant of Genesect doesn't really need any particular partners; it's arguably the set that relies on Dugtrio the least as it’s capable of 2HKOing under specific situations. Dugtrio is still a fine partner, as removing Heatran and Blissey from battle period is preferable to weakening them into KO range over time. Choice Specs Genesects predictably benefits from entry hazards, since they secure more OHKOs/2HKOs and synergizes with Genesect's ability to force switches. This variant of Genesect is not as much of a team player like the Choice Scarf set; it's slow and in some cases you might find that extra Special Attack to be superfluous,; however, with appropriate play you will be rewarded with surprise KOs on key targets. Choice Specs Genesect takes the term impossible to wall to a whole other level.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 2: Iron Head / Zen Headbutt
move 4: Explosion / Ice Beam
item: Choice Band
nature: Naughty / Lonely
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Band seems like an odd item to use on Genesect, after all it's physical movepool is underwhelming, and it's much better suited to Sspecial Aattacking. However, all of those concerns are made irrelevant when Download and powerful U-turn are taken into account. Genesect has the potential of using an Attack boosted U-turn which culminates to runs off an absurdly high 837 Attack stat. In addition, Genesect is still capable of using powerful Sspecial Aattacks to defeat physical walls from switching into U-turn. Iron Head is a powerful STAB move, though it's coverage is redundant with U-turn and Steel-type is a terrible standalone STAB move so make sure you use this move selectively. For example,, such as against Terrakion or Gliscor switch-ins. Flamethrower, even without Special Attack investment, it is capable of 2HKOing Pokemon who would otherwise wall this set such Skarmory and Forretress. This set is simple in execution; spam U-turn to your heart's content while making selective use out of Genesect's coverage moves to remove Pokemon that would otherwise wall you. Zen Headbutt can be used over Iron Head to target different threats, (such as Tentacruel, Keldeo and Volcorona), though like Iron Head it should be used precisely as it's a move that is very easy to take advantage of. Explosion can be used as a final coup de gras to pretty heavily damage pretty anything that switches in, though you should consider using it only after you've obtained an Attack boost.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Hasty or Naive nature can be used for more Speed, though Choice Band Genesect sorely misses the Attack boost gained from the Attack boosting natures and there's no overwhelming need to run Speed on Choice Band Genesect as it's primarily used as a heavy hitter that switches into Pokemon that can't threaten it. Thunderbolt or Thunder can be used to deal with Skarmory while the rain is up, though you're better off just U-turning against Skarmory it, as uninvested Thunderbolt cannot OHKO Skarmory. Genesect does its best Scizor impression when using Quick Attack and it's a semi-legitimate move option, since Quick Attack does decent damage, especially after an Attack boost and is useful for KOing weakened targets. This set predictably pairs up well with Rotom-W to form the Volt-Turn Switch core, and Dugtrio, who easily traps Heatran without much resistance. It also pairs up with Choice Scarf Landorus or Mienshao as either of these Pokemon can take up the role of fast revenge killer with U-turn. Magnezone is a great partner to this set because it can trap and kill most of the Pokemon that sponge U-turns from Choice Band Genesect, and it also has access to Volt Switch. Entry hazards are a given, as they can be used to punish your opponent for constantly switching, which will invariably happen as Genesect is prone to causing switches. Even though you want to spam U-turn, using Genesect's coverage moves at the right time can prove useful. It's speed is a detriment so keep that in mind when facing opposing Genesect.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>For a technologically advanced super bug, Genesect's movepool is surprisingly barren. It has everything it needs to function as an offensive juggernaut, while everything else is pretty much just filler. Explosion can be used on the Choice Scarf set as a last minute Hail Mary play, though you wouldn't want to give up a precious moveslot for Explosion and you definitely wouldn't want to waste Genesect! Genesect gets moves like Shadow Ball, Tri attack and Psychic; you know, moves you'll never use but are nice to list anyway. Metal Sound could be decent on Sspecial Aattacking sets, as Genesect doesn't have access to conventional boosting moves like Calm Mind or Nasty Plot. It can run a Dual Screens set but... why would you ever want to run Dual Screen Genesect? Charge Beam is its the only way of for it to boost it's Special Attack outside of Download, and it's a decent (albeit unreliable) choice on Sspecial Aattacking sets. Flame Charge is most definitely outclassed by Rock Polish and shouldn't see use, period. Unfortunately, the only good thing about it's signature move, Techno Blast, is the name. It's almost entirely outclassed by everything else. It can theoretically use the Water Drive to target Heatran in the rain, but Life Orb boostedHidden Power Water is actually stronger. Aside from protecting Genesect from Trick, the drives are utterly useless.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

<p>Genesect is inarguably the hardest Pokemon in the game to counter. There are plenty of Pokemon that can switch into it, but all of them are vulnerable to U-turn or a particular coverage move. Heatran comes to mind as the undisputed best Genesect counter. It can switch into everything it can use it and threaten it with a 4X super effective Fire-type move. The issue with using Heatran to counter Genesect is that Genesect is usually paired up with Dugtrio, a Pokemon that can easily trap and KO it. By switching Heatran into Genesect, you risk it using U-turn and switching to Dugtrio; fortunately this can be circumvented by using Shed Shell on Heatran. Blissey and Chansey are capable of walling Genesect in regards to Sspecial Aattacking and crippling it with Thunder Wave, though they're vulnerable to U-turn, and the former is also vulnerable to Dugtrio. Terrakion with Sandstorm support is the best offensive check Genesect in the tier. It resists U-turn / Bug Buzz and doesn't take much from any its coverage moves, barring Giga Drain. It's highly effective at checking Genesect in the sand, but it's also a decent check outside of it (though it should watch out for boosted Sspecial Aattacks). Keldeo functions similarly to Terrakion, as it resists U-turn / Bug Buzz, Flamethrower and Ice beam, but it has to watch out for Electric-type moves. Tentacruel is a decent check in the rain, as it's capable of taking on everything it can throw at it, barring Electric-type attacks and can recover from repeated U-turns with Rain Dish. Jellicent mostly functions similarly to Tentacruel, with Recover instead of Rain Dish, and similar vulnerability to Electric-type moves. Unfortunately, it might not get the opportunity to recover against fast paced Genesect teams. Gastrodon is a decent, albeit shaky check to Genesect. It's capable of taking on most of the Sspecial Aattacking sets, though only if it switches into a coverage move; Gastrodon does not like taking repeated U-turns, nor can it handle Giga Drain. Rotom-H can resist ALL all of Genesect's moves and it completely bypasses Dugtrio with lLevitate, but it's Stealth Rock weakness makes it an unreliable check.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf Genesect is somewhat checked by faster Choice Scarf users, such as Choice Scarf Keldeo, Thundurus-T, Landorus, Garchomp and Salamence. All of these Pokemon either have a move to OHKO it or are capable of crippling it to the point where it's limited to only 1 or 2 more switches into battle (assuming Stealth Rock is in play). If Genesect is not using Choice Scarf it's checked by pretty much everything that's faster that exists in the OU tier. Since it's making a causes tons of switches, hazards are especially effective at curbing the amount of times it can switch into battle. Genesect can be trapped and killed KOed by either Magnezone or Magneton. While you can generally switch these Pokemon into Genesect as it uses a coverage move, it's much safer to have it KO a Pokemon of your own (assuming its Choiced) and revenge killing it. Remember to keep in mind that no single "You don't counter Genesect" should be your mantra. You should check it by switching into a resisted move or actively working to prevent it to from setting up a if you suspect a Rock Polish set. Admittedly, there aren't many other ways to deal with Genesect, as it's notoriously difficult to counter. Remember to keep in mind that a Pokemon, no matter how powerful, can defeat the player who effectively uses strategy.

[Overview]

<p>The strongest of hunters from over 300 million years ago finally makes its debut in OU, and it's nothing short metagame-defining to say the least. Take your pick from its buffet of advantages; It has strong offensive stats, incredible move coverage, a fantastic typing, and a killer ability. As a Choice Scarf user, Genesect is second to none, as its wide coverage let's it revenge kill practically every single Pokemon in OU. Genesect also has access to the second-fastest U-turn in the tier which ensures that you're almost always capable of keeping the offensive momentum with Genesect. Download supercharges either of it's offensive stats, which can result in a boosted U-turn or coverage move, either of which can deal major damage in the right circumstance. Genesect can easily force switches, and by doing so, cause any ground gained from your opponent via a switch to be lost in a counterattack if U-turn is used. If U-turn is not used, Genesect has a very high chance of OHKOing any given target with it's coverage moves, especially if Download is in play. In other words, Genesect is single handedly capable of creating 50-50 scenarios all on its own! It's also capable of running an assortment of sets, each just as dangerous as the last. All of this culminates in a Pokemon that is virtually impossible to outright counter, and extremely easy to fit on all teams. Fortunately, Genesect isn't completely invincible; finding out what set its currently using imperative to dealing with it, as each set has its own strengths and limitations. Regardless, you should not underestimate this monster of a Pokemon. You do not have the luxury.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>If you're looking for the ultimate Choice Scarf user, then look no further, as Genesect is the undisputed best Choice Scarf user in the game by a very large margin. It has a special combination of unparalleled move coverage, and a lightning quick U-turn, with just enough space to outspeed almost everything in OU. "To U-turn or not to U-turn" is a question you'll be asking yourself often. U-turn is the most important move on this set, and is the move you'll be using the majority of the time. U-turn let's Genesect scout your opponent's moves, pick off weakened threats, and for the most part keep up the offensive momentum on your side. Since Genesect is capable of practically OHKOing every single Pokemon in OU, your opponent is likely to switch out, which is where U-turn shines. Genesect is infamous for creating 50-50 scenarios in which your opponent is forced to play the guessing game. Ice Beam is a versatile coverage move, and is prized for it's ability to destroy Dragon-types, especially after a Special Attack boost. Flamethrower ensures that Steel-types such as Jirachi, Forretress and Ferrothorn don't stand a chance against Genesect. Finally, Thunderbolt is used for damaging Water-types such as Keldeo and Jellicent, Pokemon who are otherwise unaffected by Genesect's other moves. Between Genesect’s coverage moves and U-turn, practically every single Pokemon in OU is taken into account.</p>

<p>Bug Buzz is a worthy replacement for either Flamethrower or Thunderbolt, as it's an absurdly powerful STAB move that is difficult to switch into, especially after a Special Attack boost. Though its use over Flamethrower or Thunderbolt really depends on your team and the threats you want to cover. It's obligatory on rain teams, as rain renders Flamethrower nearly useless. The key thing about Bug Buzz is that most Bug-type resists in OU are either too frail to reliably switch into it, or prioritize physical Defense over Special Defense. You'll rarely find the need to predict when using Bug Buzz since it hits everything reasonably hard, Pokemon with resistances to Bug included. A thing to consider is that with the exceptions of Heatran, Infernape, Terrakion and Skarmory, nothing is capable of sponging U-turn AND Bug Buzz at the same time, so plan around this fact and punish opponents who expect the obvious U-turn.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Genesect's Speed and Special Attack EVs are maximized, and a Naive nature is used over Timid in order to keep U-turn's power intact. The choice between Naive or Hasty is entirely up to you; the former nature lets you handle Outrage from Dragon-types and Mach Punch from the likes of Breloom a little bit better, while the latter nature gives you an easier time at sponging Draco Meteors from Latios, Latias and Hydreigon. A Naive nature has the distinction of also prevents opposing Genesect from picking up an Attack boost, which may or may not be beneficial, depending on your team. If you have absolutely no intention of Speed tying with opposing Genesect, you can opt to use an spread of 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe. This gives Genesect's U-turns more punch, and allows it to outspeed everything in OU minus positive speed natured +1 Hydreigon and Haxorus. A Timid nature can be used to prevent lowering either of Genesect's defenses; however, this comes at the price of making U-turn noticeably weaker.</p>

<p>Hidden Power Ground can be used over any of Genesect's coverage moves for the express purpose of one-upping Heatran. It's generally an inferior move option, and you're better off using Dugtrio as a partner to trap Heatran after a U-turn. Thunder can be used over Thunderbolt on rain teams, and the added base power makes Genesect a much more potent threat, but keep in mind Thunder has its effectiveness lowered against sandstorm and sun teams. Iron Head could be used over a coverage move to smack Terrakion, and it's a decent physical STAB move to fall back on, especially after an Attack boost. Speaking of which, you can opt to use a Choice Scarf set with a physical spread with the addition of Iron Head and/or Explosion. A physically orientated Choice Scarf Genesect is still capable of checking the majority of OU with its coverage moves, with the added ability of having super powerful U-turns, a usable Iron Head and a powerful Explosion.</p>

<p>Since Genesect is the king of forcing switches, it should come as no surprise to learn that Genesect appreciates the presence of entry hazards. Deoxys-D is the perfect Spikes user on offensive teams, which as an aside, is a team style in which Genesect greatly thrives. Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory are excellent hazard users on more balanced teams, though they all share a weakness to Fire-type moves. Despite being neutral to Stealth Rock, Genesect absolutely loathes having entry hazards of any kind on its side of the field. This is because Genesect makes multiple switches in any given match due to the nature of U-turn. Pairing Genesect with a Rapid Spin user is recommended; Starmie, Tentacruel and Forretress are all acceptable choices. Forretress has the privilege of having access to Rapid Spin, entry hazards, and to top it all of it also has Volt Switch, which pairs up nicely with Genesect's U-turn.</p>

<p>You don't need to go out of your way to look for Pokemon that pair up with Genesect; it synergizes with practically every Pokemon in general and it's easy to fit it into almost any team, since it usually pulls its own weight. Out of all the potential partner candidates in OU, nothing compares to Dugtrio. Genesect and Dugtrio are nearly unstoppable together since Dugtrio is capable of trapping the closest thing to a "counter" for Genesect: Heatran. Genesect has no problem luring Heatran out and switching directly into Dugtrio without losing momentum via U-turn. If executed correctly the Genesect + Dugtrio combo can sometimes put your opponent in a catch-22 situation. If they switch into Heatran to counter Genesect, then Genesect can U-turn into Dugtrio to trap and kill it. If your opponent refuses to switch Heatran into Genesect, there's always the chance the Genesect might net a KO on any given Pokemon. It's a formidable combination that is only bypassed by Shed Shell Heatran, so keep that in mind if someone decides to directly switch Heatran into Genesect without fear of being trapped by your Dugtrio. Genesect pairs up well with Volt Switch users since together alongside Genesect form the infamous Volt-switch combo that is notorious for being difficult to deal with. Volt Switch partners include: Rotom-W, Magnezone, Thundurus-T and Zapdos.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf Genesect is a lot of things - fast, powerful, difficult to deal with, effective, and game-defining. It's a rather easy Pokemon to use, and as such you should expect to see Genesect make a big play in any given match. If you want to use Genesect effectively, you should shy away from being one dimensional. While there's no harm in spamming U-turn, Genesect is a lot more effective if it KOs or seriously injures one of its checks with a coverage move. While it's often a lot safer to just U-turn, consider using a coverage move to damage one of Genesect's primary switch ins to the point where they can't switch into U-turn anymore. Once Genesect's checks are weakened, very little can stop Genesect from sweeping, especially if its picked up a Special Attack boost.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Genesect takes on more of a sweeping role when using Rock Polish; between it's high Special Attack and insane coverage, it should have no problem cleaving through most teams when given the chance. Genesect's auspicious typing allows it to resist nearly every single commonly used priority move in OU, and it has no problem setting up a Rock Polish due to its downright supernatural ability to force switches. After a Rock Polish, Genesect outspeeds close to everything in OU, including most Swift Swim / Chlorophyll users in their respective weathers of choice. Ideally you'll want to wait until the opponent's team has been sufficiently weakened before attempting to sweep. Most teams crumble in the face of Genesect's awesome coverage; nothing is walling the combination of Ice Beam, Bug Buzz and Thunderbolt short of dedicated special walls or Heatran, so you'll want them removed before using Rock Polish.</p>

<p>Giga Drain destroys Terrakion, Specially Defensive Rotom-W, and Gastrodon, while also maintaining coverage against most of the Pokemon that are weak against Thunderbolt. Flamethrower can be used to roast Steel-types, but since this set excels in rain and most Steel-types are 2HKOed by Bug Buzz or a coverage, it ends up being a situational move option. You should strive to take Download into account, since after Special Attack boost and a Rock Polish, Genesect is basically set to sweep through teams. It’s impossible to consistently choose what download boost Genesect receives since it's entirely dependant on your opponent, but you should try to set up on Pokemon that grant Special Attack boosts if you can.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Expert Belt can be used in place of Life Orb to bluff a Choice Scarf; you can use Genesect as a pseudo Choice Scarf user, and set up a Rock Polish during the right oppurtunity. The choice between using the Modest or Timid nature comes down to whether you want Power or the ability to outspeed non-scarf Genesect and max Speed Rotom-W. An EV spread consisting of 136 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 116 Spe with a Modest nature lets Genesect outspeed every conceivable threat in OU and it comes a hefty boost in bulk. Unfortunately, the drop in Speed makes Genesect rather slow without a Rock Polish boost, so make sure to keep that in mind you plan on using that spread. Thunder is a valid option onrain teams, and since this set excels in rain it definitely ends up being one of Genesect's better move options. Hidden Power Ground let's you bypass Heatran, though unless you have a burning hatred towards Heatran, it's not worth giving up any of Genesect's coverage moves.</p>

<p>Focus Sash might seem like a gimmicky option, but Genesect is capable of putting it to good use, as a Genesect that is guaranteed to survive a hit is pretty dangerous. Focus Sash also allows Genesect to bluff a Choice Scarf. Rock Polish Genesect loves having entry hazards since it makes scoring OHKOs significantly easier. It should come to no surprise that Deoxys-D is the perfect partner since it’s capable of rapidly laying down entry hazards on a nearly guaranteed basis. Just think about how much more likelier Genesect can score OHKOs when every opposing Pokemon operates at 70~80% at best instead of at 100%. Rock Polish Genesect also appreciates having Pokemon that can weaken walls or teams in general since it will have an easier time sweeping lategame. Pokemon such as Choice Band Terrakion and Choice Specs Latios are great examples of Pokemon that are capable of easily wearing down walls with very little prediction on the user's part. This set requires a bit of planning to work; busting it out early game is the wrong way to use it, as a healthy Rock Polish Genesect is extremely dangerous. A properly utilized Rock Polish Genesect is capable of placing your opponent into checkmate.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set foregoes the Speed and revenge killing ability available to the Choice Scarf set and literally turns Genesect into a killing machine. Little can stand in Genesect's way, as its incredible coverage and access to U-turn makes it extremely hard for opponents to endure its offensive onslaught. Contrary to Choice Scarf, there's no overwhelming need to use U-turn immediately, as the point of this set is to get in and cause as much damage as possible. Between Ice Beam, Flamethrower and Thunderbolt, it's pretty much impossible to to outright wall Genesect without resorting to dedicated special walls, which is where U-turn comes into play. U-turn counteracts your opponent's attempts to switch in a Pokemon that can sponge Genesect's Special Attacks, such as Heatran or Blissey. You don't even have to predict their switch in; you're free to use any attack and U-turn out to get some free damage and momentum. Like with Choice Scarf, Bug Buzz can be used over Thunderbolt as a powerful Special Attack. Bug Buzz is ridiculously strong, and it meshes well with Flamethrower, as none of the common Bug-type resists outside of Heatran like taking Flamethrower. This set makes the most use out of Download on average, since it has the benefit of being able to switch moves. The biggest attraction to this set, however, is its ability to bluff a Choice Scarf set. Your opponent has no idea what kind of Genesect you’re using in the early game, and since Choice Scarf is ridiculously common on Genesect you're near guaranteed to pull off a bluff at least once in a given match. Capitalize on this when your opponent decides to bring something that may attempt to set up on Genesect's coverage moves and punish them accordingly.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Expert Belt is the item of choice on this set, but Focus Sash is arguably just as effective. If you're good at keeping entry hazards off your side of the field in the early game, then Focus Sash can prove to be more useful for you since it also allows Genesect to bluff a Choice Scarf and it provides Genesect with the crucial ability of enduring any single attack. It also gives it a leg up against opposing Genesect which can come in handy in lead matchups. Life Orb can be used to power up Genesect's attacks, but its mostly detrimental to Genesect, as it does not need that boost in power, and Life Orb immediately reveals to the your opponent that you aren't using a Choice item. There's no reason to deviate from the listed nature and EVs; Non Scarf Genesect is slow as is, and choosing a Special Attack boosting nature is a pointless expenditure since Genesect doesn't really need Special Attack on this set. If you're set on using a Special Attack boosting nature, bear in mind that opposing Timid Rotom-W, Jolly Haxorus and Hydreigon can outspeed Genesect now.</p>

<p>Substitute turns Genesect into an even deadlier attacker that has the distinction of being ridiculously difficult to remove; you’ll be hard pressed to find a team that can remove a Genesect from behind a Substitute without at least losing one Pokemon or having a Pokemon ridiculously weakened, especially if Genesect has received a Special Attack boost from Download. Even better for Genesect, it can easily set up Substitutes since Genesect can easily bluff a choiced set. Hidden Power Ground can go over any of Genesect’s coverage moves to better deal with Heatran, but this comes at the cost of significant killing ability and general usefulness. A physically orientated moveset with moves such as Iron Head, Zen Headbutt, or Explosion is certainly viable; U-turn receives a moderate boost in power, and Iron Head and Zen Headbutt are viable move choices that can target Pokemon like Terrakion, Tentacruel, whilst still being able to cause general mayhem with Genesect’s other coverage moves. This set loves having entry hazards on the field since nearly all of Genesect’s checks are grounded and are liable to be pushed into 2HKO-OHKO range.</p>

<p>Unlike the Choice Scarf set, this set actually has a legitimate weakness in the form of mediocre Speed. Genesect is now checked by a slew of faster offensive Pokemon such as Terrakion, Keldeo and fast Special Attackers in general with a Fire-type move, in addition to already being checked by defensive Pokemon like Blissey, Chansey and Heatran. Like the Choice Scarf set, this set appreciates Dugtrio since it is capable of removing Heatran, Blissey, and Terrakion. This Genesect variant is a top notch wallbreaker, so don't hesitate to load your team up with powerful offensive Pokemon that benefit from weakened or removed walls. Dragon-types like Dragonite, Latios, Latias, and Salamence love having Genesect by their side since it's prone to weakening or killing walls before fainting, which is paramount for these Pokemon. Other insanely powerful threats such as Landorus, Keldeo, and Breloom similarly benefit from Genesect's presence.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Specs is a no brainer on a Pokemon like Genesect; it boosts its already fantastic Special Attack and makes it exceedingly difficult to wall. Choice Specs boosted Bug Buzz is capable of annihilating pretty much anything that switches in, save dedicated special walls like Blissey or Heatran. Genesect's coverage moves pick up the slack, as they’re effective against the Pokemon that resist Bug Buzz, though for the most part you should be spamming Bug Buzz as most Pokemon that resist Bug Buzz take huge damage from it. Download is appreciated, perhaps even more so than any of Genesect's other sets since at +1, it’s Choice Specs boosted moves are pushed into overkill territory. Thunderbolt for example, is notable for being able to heavily damage Genesect's checks after a Download boost. Offensive Heatran for example, is 2HKOed by +1 Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock. U-turn should see very little use on this set as you’ll get more mileage out of spamming powerful attacking moves. Only use it when your opponent has hard stops to this set, such as Heatran or Chansey.</p>

<p>Giga Drain is a handy move to have for taking down Terrakion and Gastrodon, Pokemon that are otherwise capable of semi checking this set. Flamethrower is effective against Steel-types, though keep in mind that Genesect doesn't gain any notable coverage with Flamethrower as most Steel-types can barely manage getting hit by either Bug Buzz or Thunderbolt and it's useless on Rain teams. The ability to OHKO most Steel-types at any time is handy, however. The Choice Specs set is also capable of bluffing a Choice Scarf set, though the somewhat obvious increase in power will instantly give you away, so don't count on successfully bluffing more than once.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Naive or Hasty natures are decent replacements over the main natures listed, though this really only relevant against opposing Genesect, as the Pokemon that reside near Genesect's speed tier such as Haxorus or Hydreigon rarely (if ever) run max speed and this prioritizes power over Speed. It should go without saying that Thunder can be used over Thunderbolt on rain teams; take note that Choice Specs boosted Thunder is astonishingly powerful. In addition to being able to 2HKO offensive Heatran without Stealth Rock, if Genesect receives a Special Attack boost via Download, it is actually capable of 2HKOing Specially Defensive Heatran with Thunder, a feat that should speak for itself. Hidden Power Ground is actually a somewhat decent move on the Choice Specs set, since Genesect more or less has the room to fit it in, and it's capable of OHKOing Specially Defensive Heatran after Stealth Rock. This variant of Genesect doesn't really need any particular partners; it's arguably the set that relies on Dugtrio the least as it’s capable of 2HKOing under specific situations. Dugtrio is still a fine partner, as removing Heatran and Blissey from battle is preferable to weakening them into KO range over time. Choice Specs Genesects predictably benefits from entry hazards, since they secure more OHKOs/2HKOs and synergizes with Genesect's ability to force switches. This variant of Genesect is not as much of a team player like the Choice Scarf set; it's slow and in some cases you might find that extra Special Attack to be superfluous; however, with appropriate play you will be rewarded with surprise KOs on key targets. Choice Specs Genesect takes the term impossible to wall to a whole other level.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Band seems like an odd item to use on Genesect, after all it's physical movepool is underwhelming, and it's much better suited to special attacking. However, all of those concerns are made irrelevant when Download and powerful U-turn are taken into account. Genesect has the potential of using an Attack boosted U-turn which runs off an absurdly high 837 Attack stat. In addition, Genesect is still capable of using powerful special attacks to defeat physical walls switching into U-turn. Iron Head is a powerful STAB move, though it's coverage is redundant with U-turn and Steel-type is a terrible standalone STAB move so make sure you use this move selectively, such as against Terrakion or Gliscor switch-ins. Flamethrower, even without Special Attack investment, is capable of 2HKOing Pokemon who would otherwise wall this set such Skarmory and Forretress. This set is simple in execution; spam U-turn to your heart's content while making selective use out of Genesect's coverage moves to remove Pokemon that would otherwise wall you. Zen Headbutt can be used over Iron Head to target different threats, such as Tentacruel, Keldeo and Volcorona, though like Iron Head it should be used precisely as it's a move that is very easy to take advantage of. Explosion can be used as a final coup de gras to heavily damage pretty anything that switches in, though you should consider using it only after you've obtained an Attack boost.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Hasty or Naive nature can be used for more Speed, though Choice Band Genesect sorely misses the Attack boost gained from the Attack boosting natures and there's no overwhelming need to run Speed on Choice Band Genesect as it's primarily used as a heavy hitter that switches into Pokemon that can't threaten it. Thunderbolt or Thunder can be used to deal with Skarmory while rain is up, though you're better off just U-turning against it, as uninvested Thunderbolt cannot OHKO Skarmory. Genesect does its best Scizor impression when using Quick Attack and it's a semi-legitimate move option, since Quick Attack does decent damage, especially after an Attack boost and is useful for KOing weakened targets. This set predictably pairs up well with Rotom-W to form the Volt-Turn core, and Dugtrio, who easily traps Heatran without much resistance. It also pairs up with Choice Scarf Landorus or Mienshao as either of these Pokemon can take up the role of fast revenge killer with U-turn. Magnezone is a great partner to this set because it can trap and kill most of the Pokemon that sponge U-turns from Choice Band Genesect, and it also has access to Volt Switch. Entry hazards are a given, as they can be used to punish your opponent for constantly switching, which will invariably happen as Genesect is prone to causing switches. Even though you want to spam U-turn, using Genesect's coverage moves at the right time can prove useful. It's speed is a detriment so keep that in mind when facing opposing Genesect.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>For a technologically advanced super bug, Genesect's movepool is surprisingly barren. It has everything it needs to function as an offensive juggernaut, while everything else is pretty much just filler. Explosion can be used on the Choice Scarf set as a last minute Hail Mary play, though you wouldn't want to give up a precious moveslot for Explosion and you definitely wouldn't want to waste Genesect! Genesect gets moves like Shadow Ball, Tri attack and Psychic; you know, moves you'll never use but are nice to list anyway. Metal Sound could be decent on special attacking sets, as Genesect doesn't have access to conventional boosting moves like Calm Mind or Nasty Plot. It can run a Dual Screens set but... why would you ever want to run Dual Screen Genesect? Charge Beam is the only way for it to boost its Special Attack outside of Download, and it's a decent (albeit unreliable) choice on special attacking sets. Flame Charge is definitely outclassed by Rock Polish and shouldn't see use, period. Unfortunately, the only good thing about it's signature move, Techno Blast, is the name. It's almost entirely outclassed by everything else. It can theoretically use the Water Drive to target Heatran in the rain, but Life Orb boostedHidden Power Water is actually stronger. Aside from protecting Genesect from Trick, the drives are utterly useless.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

<p>Genesect is inarguably the hardest Pokemon in the game to counter. There are plenty of Pokemon that can switch into it, but all of them are vulnerable to U-turn or a particular coverage move. Heatran comes to mind as the undisputed best Genesect counter. It can switch into everything it can use it and threaten it with a 4X super effective Fire-type move. The issue with using Heatran to counter Genesect is that Genesect is usually paired up with Dugtrio, a Pokemon that can easily trap and KO it. By switching Heatran into Genesect, you risk it using U-turn and switching to Dugtrio; fortunately this can be circumvented by using Shed Shell on Heatran. Blissey and Chansey are capable of walling Genesect in regards to special attacking and crippling it with Thunder Wave, though they're vulnerable to U-turn, and the former is also vulnerable to Dugtrio. Terrakion with Sandstorm support is the best offensive check Genesect in the tier. It resists U-turn / Bug Buzz and doesn't take much from any its coverage moves, barring Giga Drain. It's highly effective at checking Genesect in the sand, but it's also a decent check outside of it (though it should watch out for boosted special attacks). Keldeo functions similarly to Terrakion, as it resists U-turn / Bug Buzz, Flamethrower and Ice beam, but it has to watch out for Electric-type moves. Tentacruel is a decent check in the rain, as it's capable of taking on everything it can throw at it, barring Electric-type attacks and can recover from repeated U-turns with Rain Dish. Jellicent functions similarly to Tentacruel, with Recover instead of Rain Dish, and similar vulnerability to Electric-type moves. Unfortunately, it might not get the opportunity to recover against fast paced Genesect teams. Gastrodon is a decent, albeit shaky check to Genesect. It's capable of taking on most of the special attacking sets, though only if it switches into a coverage move; Gastrodon does not like taking repeated U-turns, nor can it handle Giga Drain. Rotom-H can resist all of Genesect's moves and it completely bypasses Dugtrio with Levitate, but its Stealth Rock weakness makes it an unreliable check.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf Genesect is somewhat checked by faster Choice Scarf users, such as Keldeo, Thundurus-T, Landorus, Garchomp, and Salamence. All of these Pokemon either have a move to OHKO it or are capable of crippling it to the point where it's limited to only 1 or 2 more switches into battle (assuming Stealth Rock is in play). If Genesect is not using Choice Scarf it's checked by pretty much everything that's faster that exists in the OU tier. Since it causes tons of switches, hazards are especially effective at curbing the amount of times it can switch into battle. Genesect can be trapped and KOed by either Magnezone or Magneton. While you can generally switch these Pokemon into Genesect as it uses a coverage move, it's much safer to have it KO a Pokemon of your own (assuming its Choiced) and revenge killing it. Remember to keep in mind that no single "You don't counter Genesect" should be your mantra. You should check it by switching into a resisted move or actively working to prevent it from setting up if you suspect a Rock Polish set. Admittedly, there aren't many other ways to deal with Genesect, as it's notoriously difficult to counter. Remember to keep in mind that a Pokemon, no matter how powerful, can defeat the player who effectively uses strategy.

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

<p>The strongest of hunters from over 300 million years ago finally makes its debut in OU, and it's nothing short of metagame defining to say the least. Take your pick from its buffet of advantages; it has strong offensive stats, incredible move coverage, a fantastic typing, and a killer ability. As a Choice Scarf user, Genesect is second to none, as its wide coverage let's it revenge kill practically every single Pokemon in OU. Genesect also has access to one of the fastest the second-fastest U-turns in the tier, (AC) which ensures that you're almost always capable of keeping the offensive momentum with Genesect. Download supercharges either of its offensive stats, which can result in a boosted U-turn or coverage move, either of which can deal major damage in the right circumstance. Genesect can easily force switches, and by doing so, cause any ground gained from your opponent via a switch to be lost in a counterattack if U-turn is used. If U-turn is not used, Genesect has a very high chance of OHKOing any given target with its coverage moves, especially if the appropriate Download boost is aquired is in play. In other words, Genesect is single-handedly capable of creating 50-50 scenarios all on its own! It's also capable of running an assortment of sets, each just as dangerous as the last. All of this culminates in a Pokemon that is virtually impossible to outright counter, and extremely easy to fit on all teams. Fortunately, Genesect isn't completely invincible; finding out what set its currently using imperative to dealing with it, as each set has its own strengths and limitations. Investing in entry hazards is also important, as Genesect constantly switches, and the continual damage can easily build up. Regardless, you should not underestimate this monster of a Pokemon. You do not have the luxury.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>If you're looking for the ultimate Choice Scarf user, then look no further, as Genesect is the undisputed best offensive Choice Scarf user in the game by a very large margin. It has a special combination of unparalleled move coverage, (RC) and a lightning quick U-turn, with just enough space What exactly do you mean by "space"? perhaps a different word would work better to outspeed almost everything in OU. "To U-turn or not to U-turn" is a question you'll be asking yourself often. U-turn is the most important move on this set, and is the move you'll be using the majority of the time. U-turn lets Genesect scout your opponent's moves, pick off weakened threats, and for the most part keep up the offensive momentum on your side. Since Genesect is capable of practically OHKOing every single Pokemon in OU, your opponent is likely to switch out, which is where U-turn shines. Genesect is infamous for creating 50-50 scenarios in which your opponent is forced to play the guessing game. Ice Beam is a versatile coverage move, and is prized for its ability to destroy Dragon-types, especially after a Special Attack boost. Flamethrower ensures that Steel-types such as Jirachi, Forretress, (AC) and Ferrothorn don't stand a chance against Genesect. Finally, Thunderbolt is used for damaging Water-types such as Keldeo and Jellicent, Pokemon that who are otherwise unaffected by Genesect's other moves. Between Genesect's Please tell me no more curly apostrophes coverage moves and U-turn, practically every single Pokemon in OU is taken into account.</p>

<p>Bug Buzz is a worthy replacement for either Flamethrower or Thunderbolt, as it's an absurdly powerful STAB move that is difficult to switch into, especially after a Special Attack boost, though its use over Flamethrower or Thunderbolt really depends on your team and the threats you want to cover. It's obligatory on rain teams, as rain renders Flamethrower nearly useless. The key thing about Bug Buzz is that most Bug-type resists in OU are either too frail to reliably switch into it, or prioritize physical Defense over Special Defense. You'll rarely find the need to predict when using Bug Buzz since it hits everything reasonably hard, Pokemon with resistances to Bug included. A thing to consider is that with the exceptions of Heatran, Infernape, Terrakion, (AC) and Skarmory, nothing is capable of sponging U-turn AND Bug Buzz at the same time, so play plan around this fact and punish opponents who expect the obvious U-turn.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Genesect's Speed and Special Attack EVs are maximized, and a Naive nature is used over Timid in order to keep U-turn's power intact. The choice between Naive or Hasty is entirely up to you; the former nature lets you handle Outrage from Dragon-types and Mach Punch from the likes of Breloom a little bit better, while the latter nature gives you an easier time at sponging Draco Meteors from Latios, Latias, (AC) and Hydreigon. A Hasty Naive nature has the distinction of also preventing opposing Genesect from picking up a Special Attack boost, which may or may not be beneficial, depending on your team. If you have absolutely no intention of Speed tying with opposing Genesect, you can opt to use an spread of 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe. This gives Genesect's U-turns more punch, and allows it to outspeed everything in OU minus positive speed natured +1 Hydreigon and Haxorus. A Timid nature can be used to prevent lowering either of Genesect's defenses; however, but this comes at the price of making U-turn noticeably weaker.</p>

<p>Hidden Power Ground can be used over any of Genesect's coverage moves for the express purpose of one-upping Heatran. It's generally an inferior move option, and you're better off using Dugtrio as a partner to trap Heatran after a U-turn. Thunder can be used over Thunderbolt on rain teams, and the added base power makes Genesect a much more potent threat, but keep in mind Thunder has its effectiveness lowered against sandstorm and sun teams. Iron Head could be used over a coverage move to smack Terrakion, and it's a decent physical STAB move to fall back on, especially after an Attack boost. Speaking of which, you can opt to use a Choice Scarf set with a physical spread with the addition of Iron Head and/or Explosion. A physically orientated Choice Scarf Genesect is still capable of checking the majority of OU with its coverage moves, with the added ability of having super powerful U-turns, a usable Iron Head, (AC) and a powerful Explosion.</p>

<p>Since As Genesect is the king of forcing switches, it should come as no surprise to learn that Genesect appreciates the presence of entry hazards. Deoxys-D is the perfect Spikes user on offensive teams, which as an aside, is a team style in which Genesect greatly thrives. Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory are excellent hazard users on more balanced teams, though they all share a weakness to Fire-type moves. Despite being neutral to Stealth Rock, Genesect absolutely loathes having entry hazards of any kind on its side of the field. This is because Genesect makes multiple switches in any given match due to the nature of U-turn. Pairing Genesect with a Rapid Spin user is recommended; Starmie, Tentacruel, (AC) and Forretress are all acceptable choices. Forretress has the privilege of having access to Rapid Spin, entry hazards, and to top it all off, it also has Volt Switch, which pairs up nicely with Genesect's U-turn.</p>

<p>You don't need to go out of your way to look for Pokemon that pair up with Genesect; it synergizes with practically every Pokemon in general and it's easy to fit it into almost any team, since as it usually pulls its own weight. Out of all the potential partner candidates in OU, nothing compares to Dugtrio. Genesect and Dugtrio are nearly unstoppable together as since Dugtrio is capable of trapping the closest thing to a "counter" for Genesect: Heatran. Genesect has no problem luring Heatran out and switching directly into Dugtrio without losing momentum via U-turn. If executed correctly the Genesect + Dugtrio combo can sometimes put your opponent in a catch-22 situation. If they switch into Heatran to counter Genesect, then Genesect can U-turn into Dugtrio to trap and kill it. If your opponent refuses to switch Heatran into Genesect, there's always the chance the Genesect might net a KO on any given Pokemon. It's a formidable combination that is only bypassed by Shed Shell Heatran, so keep that in mind if someone decides to directly switch Heatran into Genesect without fear of being trapped by your Dugtrio. Genesect pairs up well with Volt Switch users since as together alongside Genesect both form the feared infamous Volt-Turn combo that is notorious for being difficult to deal with. Volt Switch partners include: (RC) Rotom-W, Magnezone, Forretress, Thundurus-T, (AC) and Zapdos.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf Genesect is a lot of things&mdash;fast, powerful, difficult to deal with, effective, and game-defining. It's a rather easy Pokemon to use, and as such you should expect to see Genesect make a big play in any given match. If you want to use Genesect effectively, you should shy away from being one dimensional. While there's no harm in spamming U-turn, Genesect is a lot more effective if it KOs or seriously injures one of its checks with a coverage move. While it's often a lot safer to just U-turn, consider using a coverage move to damage one of Genesect's primary switch-ins to the point where they can't switch into U-turn anymore. Once Genesect's checks are weakened, very little can stop Genesect from sweeping, especially if its picked up a Special Attack boost.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Genesect takes on more of a sweeping role when using Rock Polish; between its high Special Attack and insane coverage, it should have no problem cleaving through most teams when given the chance. Genesect's auspicious typing allows it to resist nearly every single commonly used priority move in OU, and it has no problem setting up a Rock Polish due to its downright supernatural ability to force switches. After a Rock Polish, Genesect outspeeds close to everything in OU, including most Swift Swim / Chlorophyll users in the sun their respective weathers of choice. Ideally you'll want to wait until the opponent's team has been sufficiently weakened before attempting to sweep. Most teams crumble in the face of Genesect's awesome coverage&mdash;nothing is walling the combination of Ice Beam, Bug Buzz, (AC) and Thunderbolt short of dedicated special walls or Heatran, so you'll want them removed before using Rock Polish.</p>

<p>Giga Drain destroys Terrakion, Specially Defensive Rotom-W, and Gastrodon, while also maintaining coverage against most of the Pokemon that are weak against Thunderbolt. Flamethrower can be used to roast Steel-types, but as since this set excels in rain and most Steel-types are 2HKOed by Bug Buzz or a coverage, it ends up being a situational move option. You should strive to take Download into account, as since after Special Attack boost and a Rock Polish, Genesect is basically set to sweep through teams. It's impossible to consistently choose what Download boost Genesect receives as since it's entirely dependent on your opponent, but you should try to set up on Pokemon that grant Special Attack boosts if you can.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Expert Belt can be used in place of Life Orb to bluff a Choice Scarf; you can use Genesect as a pseudo-Choice Scarf user, (RC) and set up a Rock Polish during the right opportunity. The choice between using a the Modest or Timid nature comes down to whether you want power or the ability to outspeed non-Choice Scarf Genesect and max Speed Rotom-W. An EV spread consisting of 136 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 116 Spe with a Modest nature lets Genesect outspeed every conceivable threat in OU with a and it comes a hefty boost in bulk. Unfortunately, the drop in Speed makes Genesect rather slow without a Rock Polish boost, so make sure to keep that in mind if you plan on using that spread. Thunder is a valid option on rain teams, and as since this set excels in rain it definitely ends up being one of Genesect's better move options. Hidden Power Ground lets you bypass Heatran, though unless you have a burning hatred towards Heatran, it's not worth giving up any of Genesect's coverage moves.</p>

<p>Focus Sash might seem like a gimmicky option, but Genesect is capable of putting it to good use, as a Genesect that is guaranteed to survive a hit is pretty dangerous. Focus Sash It also allows Genesect to bluff a Choice Scarf. Rock Polish Genesect loves having entry hazards as since it makes scoring OHKOs significantly easier. It should come to no surprise that Deoxys-D is the perfect partner as since it's capable of rapidly laying down entry hazards on a nearly guaranteed basis. Just think about how much more likelier Genesect can score OHKOs when every opposing Pokemon operates at 70-80% at best instead of at 100%. Rock Polish Genesect also appreciates having Pokemon that can weaken walls or teams in general as since it will have an easier time sweeping late-game. Pokemon such as Choice Band Terrakion and Choice Specs Latios are great examples of Pokemon that are capable of easily wearing down walls with very little prediction on the user's part. This set requires a bit of planning to work; busting it out early game is the wrong way to use it, as a healthy Rock Polish Genesect is extremely dangerous. A properly utilized Rock Polish Genesect is capable of placing your opponent into checkmate.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set forgoes the Speed and revenge killing ability available to the Choice Scarf set and literally turns Genesect into a killing machine. Little can stand in Genesect's way, as its incredible coverage and access to U-turn makes it extremely hard for opponents to endure its offensive onslaught. Contrary to Choice Scarf, there's no overwhelming need to use U-turn immediately, as the point of this set is to get in and cause as much damage as possible. Between Ice Beam, Flamethrower, (AC) and Thunderbolt, it's pretty much impossible to to outright wall Genesect without resorting to dedicated special walls, which is where U-turn comes into play. U-turn counteracts your opponent's attempts to switch in a Pokemon that can sponge Genesect's Special Attacks, such as Heatran or Blissey. You don't even have to predict their switch in; you're free to use any attack and U-turn out to get some free damage and momentum. Like with Choice Scarf, Bug Buzz can be used over Thunderbolt as a powerful Special Attack. Bug Buzz is ridiculously strong, and it meshes well with Flamethrower, as none of the common Bug-type resists outside of Heatran like taking Flamethrower. This set makes the most use out of Download on average, since as it has the benefit of being able to switch moves. The biggest attraction to this set, however, is its ability to bluff a Choice Scarf set. Your opponent has no idea what kind of Genesect you're using in the early game, and because since Choice Scarf is ridiculously common on Genesect you're near guaranteed to pull off a bluff at least once in a given match. Capitalize on this when your opponent decides to bring something that might may attempt to set up on Genesect's coverage moves and punish them accordingly.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Expert Belt is the item of choice on this set, but Focus Sash is arguably just as effective. If you're good at keeping entry hazards off your side of the field in the early game, then Focus Sash can prove to be more useful for you since as it also allows Genesect to bluff a Choice Scarf and it provides Genesect with the crucial ability of enduring any single attack. It also gives it a leg up against opposing Genesect, (AC) which can come in handy in lead matchups. Life Orb can be used to power up Genesect's attacks, but its mostly detrimental to Genesect, as it does not need that boost in power, and Life Orb immediately reveals to the your opponent that you aren't using a Choice item. There's no reason to deviate from the listed nature and EVs; non-Choice Scarf Genesect is slow as is, and choosing a Special Attack boosting nature is a pointless expenditure as since Genesect doesn't really need Special Attack on this set. If you're set on using a Special Attack boosting nature, bear in mind that opposing Timid Rotom-W, Jolly Haxorus, (AC) and Hydreigon can outspeed Genesect now.</p>

<p>Substitute turns Genesect into an even deadlier attacker that has the distinction of being ridiculously difficult to remove; you’ll be hard pressed to find a team that can remove a Genesect from behind a Substitute without at least losing one Pokemon or having a Pokemon ridiculously weakened, especially if Genesect has received a Special Attack boost from Download. Even better for Genesect, it can easily set up Substitutes since as Genesect can easily bluff a Choice Scarf choiced set. Hidden Power Ground can go over any of Genesect's coverage moves to better deal with Heatran, but this comes at the cost of significant killing ability and general usefulness. A physically orientated moveset with attacks moves such as Iron Head, Zen Headbutt, or Explosion is certainly viable; U-turn receives a moderate boost in power, and Iron Head and Zen Headbutt are viable move choices that can target Pokemon like Terrakion, Tentacruel, whilst still being able to cause general mayhem with Genesect's other coverage moves. This set loves having entry hazards on the field since as nearly all of Genesect's checks are grounded and are liable to be pushed into 2HKO-OHKO range.</p>

<p>Unlike the Choice Scarf set, this set actually has a legitimate weakness in the form of mediocre Speed. Genesect is now checked by a slew of faster offensive Pokemon such as Terrakion, Keldeo, (AC) and fast special attackers in general with a Fire-type move, in addition to already being checked by defensive Pokemon, such as like Blissey, Chansey, (AC) and Heatran. Like the Choice Scarf set, this set appreciates Dugtrio, as since it is capable of removing Heatran, Blissey, and Terrakion. This Genesect variant is a top notch wallbreaker, so don't hesitate to load your team up with powerful offensive Pokemon that benefit from weakened or removed walls. Pairing Genesect with Landorus is particularly effective, as both Pokemon commonly carry either Choice items or an Expert Belt, which can put your opponent into a crazy guessing game. Dragon-types such as like Dragonite, Latios, Latias, and Salamence love having Genesect by their side as since it's prone to weakening or killing walls before fainting, which is paramount for these Pokemon. Other insanely powerful threats such as Landorus, Keldeo, and Breloom similarly benefit from Genesect's presence.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Specs is a no-brainer on a Pokemon like Genesect; it boosts its already fantastic Special Attack and makes it exceedingly difficult to wall. Choice Specs-boosted Bug Buzz is capable of annihilating pretty much anything that switches in, save dedicated special walls such as like Blissey or Heatran. Genesect's coverage moves pick up the slack, as they're effective against the Pokemon that resist Bug Buzz, though for the most part you should be spamming Bug Buzz as even most Pokemon that resist Bug Buzz take huge damage from it. Download is appreciated, perhaps even more so than any of Genesect's other sets because since at +1, it's Choice Specs-boosted moves are pushed into overkill territory. Thunderbolt, (AC) for example, is notable for being able to heavily damage Genesect's checks after a Download boost. For example, Offensive Heatran for example, is 2HKOed by a +1 Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock. U-turn should see very little use on this set as you'll get more mileage out of spamming powerful attacking moves. Only use it when your opponent has hard stops to this set, such as Heatran or Chansey.</p>

<p>Giga Drain is a handy move to have for taking down Terrakion and Gastrodon, Pokemon that are otherwise capable of semi-checking this set. Flamethrower is effective against Steel-types, though keep in mind that Genesect doesn't gain any notable coverage with Flamethrower as most Steel-types can barely manage getting hit by either Bug Buzz or Thunderbolt and it's useless on Rain teams. The ability to OHKO most Steel-types at any time is handy, however. The Choice Specs set is also capable of bluffing a Choice Scarf set, though the somewhat obvious increase in power will instantly give you away, so don't count on a successfully bluffing more than once.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Naive or Hasty natures are decent replacements over the main natures listed, though this really only relevant against opposing Genesect, as the Pokemon that reside near Genesect's Speed tier such as Haxorus or Hydreigon rarely (if ever) run max speed and this prioritizes power over Speed. It should go without saying that Thunder can be used over Thunderbolt on rain teams; take note that Choice Specs-boosted Thunder is astonishingly powerful. In addition to being able to 2HKO Offensive Heatran without Stealth Rock, if Genesect receives a Special Attack boost via Download, (RC) it is actually capable of 2HKOing Specially Defensive Heatran with Thunder, a feat that should speak for itself. Hidden Power Ground is actually a somewhat decent move on the Choice Specs set, as since Genesect more or less has the room to fit it in, and it's capable of OHKOing Specially Defensive Heatran after Stealth Rock. This variant of Genesect doesn't really need any particular partners; it's arguably the set that relies on Dugtrio the least as it's capable of 2HKOing Hearan under specific situations. Dugtrio is still a fine partner, as removing Heatran and Blissey from battle is preferable to weakening them into KO range over time. Choice Specs Genesects predictably benefits from entry hazards, as since they secure more OHKOs/2HKOs and synergizes with Genesect's ability to force switches. This variant of Genesect is not as much of a team player like the Choice Scarf set; it's slow and in some cases you might find that extra Special Attack to be superfluous; however, with appropriate play you will be rewarded with surprise KOs on key targets. Choice Specs Genesect takes the term impossible to wall to a whole other level.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Band seems like an odd item to use on Genesect, after all it's physical movepool is underwhelming, and it's much better suited to special attacking. However, all of those concerns are made irrelevant when Download and powerful U-turn are taken into account. Genesect has the potential of using an Attack boosted U-turn which runs off an absurdly high 837 Attack stat. In addition, Genesect is still capable of using powerful special attacks to defeat physical walls switching into U-turn. Iron Head is a powerful STAB move, though it's coverage is redundant with U-turn and Steel-type is a terrible standalone STAB offensive typing move so make sure you use this move selectively, such as against Terrakion or Gliscor switch-ins. Flamethrower, even without Special Attack investment, is capable of 2HKOing Pokemon which who would otherwise wall this set, such as Skarmory and Forretress. This set is simple in execution; spam U-turn to your heart's content while making selective use out of Genesect's coverage moves to remove Pokemon that would otherwise wall you. Zen Headbutt can be used over Iron Head to target different threats, such as Tentacruel, Keldeo, (AC) and Volcorona, though like Iron Head it should be used precisely as it's a move that is very easy for the opponent to take advantage of. Explosion can be used as a final coup de grace to heavily damage pretty much anything that switches in, though you should consider using it only after you've obtained an Attack boost.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Hasty or Naive nature can be used for more Speed, though Choice Band Genesect sorely misses the Attack boost gained from the Attack boosting natures and there's no overwhelming need to run extra Speed on Choice Band Genesect as it's primarily used as a heavy hitter that switches into Pokemon that can't threaten it. Thunderbolt or Thunder can be used to deal with Skarmory while rain is up, though you're better off just U-turning against it, as an uninvested Thunderbolt cannot OHKO Skarmory. Genesect does its best Scizor impression when using Quick Attack and it's a semi-legitimate move option, since as Quick Attack does decent damage, especially after an Attack boost and is useful for KOing weakened targets. This set predictably pairs up well with Rotom-W to form the Volt-Turn core, and Dugtrio, which who easily traps Heatran without much resistance. It also pairs up with Choice Scarf Landorus or Mienshao as either of these Pokemon can take up the role of fast revenge killer with U-turn. Magnezone is a great partner to this set because it can trap and kill most of the Pokemon that sponge U-turns from Choice Band Genesect, and it also has access to Volt Switch. Entry hazards are a given, as they can be used to punish your opponent for constantly switching, which will invariably happen as Genesect is prone to causing switches. Even though you want to spam U-turn, using Genesect's coverage moves at the right time can prove useful. Its Speed is a detriment so, (AC) keep that in mind when facing opposing Genesect.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>For a technologically advanced super bug, Genesect's movepool is surprisingly barren. It has everything it needs to function as an offensive juggernaut, while everything else is pretty much just filler. Explosion can be used on the Choice Scarf set as a last minute Hail Mary play, though you wouldn't want to give up a precious moveslot for Explosion and you definitely wouldn't want to waste Genesect! Genesect gets moves like Shadow Ball, Tri Attack, (AC) and Psychic; you know, moves you'll never use but are nice to list anyway. Metal Sound could be decent on special attacking sets, as Genesect doesn't have access to conventional boosting moves like Calm Mind or Nasty Plot. It can run a Dual Screens set but... why would you ever want to run Dual Screen Genesect? Charge Beam is the only way for it to boost its Special Attack outside of Download, and it's a decent (albeit unreliable) choice on special attacking sets. Flame Charge is definitely outclassed by Rock Polish and shouldn't see use, period. Unfortunately, the only good thing about it's signature move, Techno Blast, is the name. It's almost entirely outclassed by everything else. It can theoretically use the Water Drive to target Heatran in the rain, but Life Orb-boosted Hidden Power Water is actually stronger. Aside from protecting Genesect from Trick, the drives are utterly useless.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

<p>Genesect is unarguably the hardest Pokemon in the game to counter. There are plenty of Pokemon that can switch into it, but all of them are vulnerable to U-turn or a particular coverage move. Heatran comes to mind as the undisputed best Genesect "counter". It can switch into everything Genesect can use it and threaten it with a 4x super effective Fire-type move. The issue with using Heatran to counter Genesect is that Genesect is usually paired up with Dugtrio, a Pokemon that can easily trap and KO it. By switching Heatran into Genesect, you risk it using U-turn and switching to Dugtrio; fortunately this can be circumvented by using Shed Shell on Heatran. Blissey and Chansey are capable of walling Genesect in regards to special attacking and crippling it with Thunder Wave, though they're vulnerable to U-turn, and the former is also vulnerable to Dugtrio. Terrakion with Sandstorm support is the best offensive check Genesect in the tier. It resists U-turn / Bug Buzz and doesn't take much from any its coverage moves, barring Giga Drain. It's highly effective at checking Genesect in the sand, but it's also a decent check outside of it (though it should watch out for boosted special attacks). Keldeo functions similarly to Terrakion, as it resists U-turn / Bug Buzz, Flamethrower, (AC) and Ice beam, but it has to watch out for Electric-type moves. Tentacruel is a decent check in the rain, as it's capable of taking on everything Genesect can throw at it, barring Electric-type attacks, (AC) and can recover from repeated U-turns with Rain Dish. Jellicent functions similarly to Tentacruel, with Recover instead of Rain Dish, (RC) and a shared similar vulnerability to Electric-type moves. Unfortunately, it might not get the opportunity to recover against fast paced Genesect teams. Gastrodon is a decent, albeit shaky, (AC) check to Genesect. It's capable of taking on most of the special attacking sets, though only if it switches into a coverage move; Gastrodon does not like taking repeated U-turns, nor can it handle Giga Drain. Rotom-H can resist all of Genesect's moves and it completely bypasses Dugtrio with Levitate, but its Stealth Rock weakness makes it an unreliable check.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf Genesect is somewhat checked by faster Choice Scarf users, such as Keldeo, Thundurus-T, Landorus, Garchomp, and Salamence. All of these Pokemon either have a move to OHKO it or are capable of crippling it to the point where it's limited to only 1 or 2 more switches into battle (assuming Stealth Rock is in play). If Genesect is not using Choice Scarf it's checked by pretty much everything that's faster that exists in the OU tier. Since As it causes tons of switches, entry hazards are especially effective at curbing the amount of times it can switch into battle. Genesect can be trapped and KOed by either Magnezone or Magneton. While you can generally switch these Pokemon into Genesect as it uses a coverage move, it's much safer to have it KO a Pokemon of your own (assuming its Choiced) and revenge killing it. Remember to keep in mind that no single "You don't counter Genesect" should be your mantra. You should check it by switching into a resisted move or actively working to prevent it from setting up if you suspect a Rock Polish set. Admittedly, there aren't many other ways to deal with Genesect, as it's notoriously difficult to counter. Remember to keep in mind that a no Pokemon, no matter how powerful, can defeat the player who effectively plays against its uses strategy.

Wow.

Watch those apostrophes, as word uses curly ones where smogon uses straight ones.

This was done working over the above check, but there was just too much to change to stamp it. Sorry.

GP Approved 1/2

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is sort of last minute, but you really should note that Choice Band U-turn with a +1 Attack boost OHKOes every Deoxys-D (that runs SpD > Def). That's with a Speed boosting nature, too! Obviously this is an enormous advantage since as a lead, you outspeed 252 timid Deo-D, KO it, and gain instant momentum.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
  • Implemented GatoDelFuego's very awesome GP check
exceptions:
After a Rock Polish, Genesect outspeeds close to everything in OU, including most Swift Swim / Chlorophyll users in their respective weathers of choice.
-I kept this because old-school rain teams still exist (however rare they may be) and facing off against Swift Swim users is a possibility if you yourself are running Rain.
Pairing Genesect with Landorus is particularly effective, as both Pokemon commonly carry either Choice items or an Expert Belt, which can put your opponent into a crazy guessing game
-Omitted because this no longer holds true (Landorus almost universally run Special Attacking sets now)

updated the Choice Band analysis. (thanks NixHex)

GatoDelFuego

Before this goes through GP, perhaps add a mention of Flash Cannon/Iron Head to beat Kyurem-B?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So this is what counts for "long analyses" these days hmm

You new grammar checkers are getting soft

Anyway, "long" analysis about a Bug-type? Not letting this go without my checking it.

GP Check 2/2

REMOVE
ADD
[COMMENT]

[Overview]

<p>The strongest of hunters from over 300 million years ago [I'd leave that out if I were you, it kind of breaks the flow of the sentence. If you want to include it, I'd advise "From over 300 million years ago, the strongest..." or something. It's a bit clunky. Of course, it's up to you...] finally makes its debut in OU, and it's nothing short of metagame defining,(comma) to say the least. Take your pick from its buffet of advantages; [I don't really know what you're trying to say... a generic opener like the one I've added might sound better, or you could say "it has a veritable buffet of advantages" but as it is it sounds a bit wobbly] It has every advantage you could possibly ask for&mdash;it has strong offensive stats, incredible move coverage, fantastic typing, and a killer ability. As a Choice Scarf user, Genesect is second to none, as its wide coverage let'slets it revenge kill practically every single Pokemon in OU. Genesect also has access to the fastest STAB U-turn in the tier [well, Scyther, Accelgor and Ninjask all have STAB U-turn and are all legal in OU, so…], which ensures that you're almost always capable of keeping the offensive momentum. Download supercharges eitherone of its two offensive stats, which can result in either a boosted U-turn or a boosted coverage move, either both of which can deal major damage in the right circumstance. Genesect can easily force switches, and by doing so, cause any ground gained from your opponent via a switch to be lost in a counterattack if U-turn is used. If U-turn is not used, Genesect has a very high chance of OHKOing any given target with its the correctcoverage moves move, especially if the appropriate Download boost is acquired. In other words, Genesect is single-handedly [you should remove either "single-handedly" or "all on its own" since they are redundant] capable of creating 50-50 scenarios all on its own! It's also capable of running an assortment of other sets, each just as dangerous as the lastChoice Scarf set [since that's what you were just talking about…]. All of this culminates in a comes together to produce a Pokemon that is virtually impossible to outright counter, and extremely easy to fit on allteams almost any team. Fortunately, Genesect isn't completely invincible; finding out what set its it is currently using is imperative to in dealing with it, as each set has its own strengths and limitations. Investing in entry hazards is also important, as Genesect constantly switches, and the continual damage can easily build up. Regardless, you should not underestimate this monster of a Pokemon. You do not have the luxury.</p>

[This is a great overview. Don't let the overview project even think of touching it, I beg you.]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>If you're looking for the ultimate Choice Scarf user, then look no further&mdash;,(remove) as Genesect is the undisputed best offensive Choice Scarf user in the game by a very large margin. It has a special combination of unparalleled move coverage and a lightning quick lightning-fast U-turn, with just enough speed Speed to outspeed almost everything in OU. "To U-turn,(comma) or not to U-turn" [let us adopt Shakespeare with dignity] is a question you'll often be asking yourself often. U-turn is the most important move on this set, and is the move you'll be using for the majority of the time. U-turn lets Genesect scout your opponent's moves, pick off weakened threats, and for the most part keep up the offensive momentum on your side. Since Genesect is capable of practically OHKOing almost every single Pokemon in OU, your opponent is likely to switch out, which is where U-turn shines. Genesect is infamous for creating 50-50 scenarios in which your opponent is forced to play the guessing game. Ice Beam is a versatile coverage move, and is prized for its ability to destroy Dragon-types, especially after a Special Attack boost. Flamethrower ensures that Steel-types,(comma) such as Jirachi, Forretress, and Ferrothorn,(comma) don't stand a chance against Genesect either. Finally, Thunderbolt is used for damaging Water-types,(comma) such as Keldeo and Jellicent, or Pokemon that are otherwise unaffectedunfazed by Genesect's other moves. Between Genesect's coverage moves and U-turn, practically every single Pokemon in OU is taken into account.</p>

<p>Bug Buzz is a worthy replacement for either Flamethrower or Thunderbolt, as it's an absurdly powerful STAB move that is difficult to switch into, especially after a Special Attack boost, though its use over Flamethrower or Thunderbolt really depends on your team and the threats you want to cover. It's obligatory on rain teams, as rain renders Flamethrower nearly useless. The key thing about Bug Buzz is that most Pokemon who resist Bug-type moves resists in OU are either too frail to reliably switch into it, or prioritize Defense over Special Defense. You'll rarely find the need to predict when using Bug Buzz,(comma) since it hits everything reasonably hard, Pokemon with resistances included. A thing to consider is that,(comma) with the exceptions of Heatran, Infernape, Terrakion, and Skarmory, nothing is capable of sponging U-turn AND Bug Buzz at the same time, so play aroundthis and punish opponents who expect the obvious U-turn.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Genesect's Speed and Special Attack EVs are maximized, and a Naive nature is used over Timid in order to keep U-turn's power intact. Note that 4 EVs are taken from Special Attack and placed into Attack&mdash;the reason for this is that, with 8 Attack EVs, Genesect picks up an extra point in Attack after a Download boost, but doesn't lose any points from the same in Special Attack. The choice between Naive or Hasty is entirely up to you; the former lets you handle Outrage from Dragon-types and Mach Punch from the likes of Breloom a little bit better, while the latter gives you an easier time at sponging Draco Meteors from Latios, Latias, and Hydreigon. If you have absolutely no intention of Speed tying with opposing Genesect, you can opt to use an a spread of 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe. This gives Genesect's U-turns more punch, and allows while still allowing it to outspeed everything in OU minus belowpositive-natured +1 Hydreigon and Haxorus. A Timid nature can be used to prevent lowering either of Genesect's defenses, but this comes at the price of making U-turn noticeably weaker.</p>

<p>Hidden Power Ground can be used over any of Genesect's coverage moves for the express purpose of one-upping Heatran. It's generally an inferior move option, and you're better off using Dugtrio as a partner to trap Heatran after a U-turn. Thunder can be used over Thunderbolt on rain teams, and the added base powerBase Power makes Genesect a much more potent threat, but keep in mind Thunder has its effectiveness lowered against sandstorm and sun teams. Iron Head and or Flash Cannon could be used over a coverage move to smack Terrakion or and Kyurem-B, and it's a decent STAB move to fall back on, especially after a Download boost. Speaking of which, you can opt to use a Choice Scarf set with a physical spread with the addition of Iron Head and/or Explosion. A physically orientated Choice Scarf Genesect is still capable of checking the majority of OU with its coverage moves, with the added ability advantages of having super powerful U-turns, a usable Iron Head, and a powerful Explosion, but lacks the tremendous super effective coverage and utility of its special counterpart.</p>

<p>As Genesect is the king of forcing switches, it should come as no surprise to learn that Genesect appreciates the presence of entry hazards. Deoxys-D is the perfect Spikes user on offensive teams, which as an aside, is a team style in which Genesect greatly thrives [what team style doesn't it thrive on really]. Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory are excellent hazard users on more balanced teams, though they all share aGenesect's weakness to Fire-type moves. Despite being neutral to Stealth Rock, Genesect absolutely loathes having entry hazards of any kind on its side of the field. This is because Genesect makes multiple switches in any given every match due to the nature of U-turn. Pairing Genesect with a Rapid Spin user is recommended; Starmie, Tentacrue Tentacruel, and Forretress are all acceptable choices. Forretress has the privilege of having access to Rapid Spin, entry hazards, and to top it all off, Volt Switch, which pairs up nicely with Genesect's U-turn.</p>

<p>You don't need to go out of your way to look for Pokemon that pair up with Genesect; it synergizes with practically every Pokemon in general existence and it's easy to fit it into almost any team, as it usually pulls its own weight. Out of all the potential partner candidates in OU, nothing compares to Dugtrio. Genesect and Dugtrio are nearly unstoppable together,(comma)as Dugtrio is capable of trapping the closest thing to a "counter" for Genesect: Heatran. Genesect has no problem luring Heatran out and switching directly into Dugtrio without losing momentum via U-turn. If executed correctly,(comma) the Genesect + Dugtrio combo can sometimes put your opponent in a catch-22 situation. If they switch into Heatran to counter Genesect, then Genesect can U-turn into Dugtrio to trap and kill it. If your opponent refuses to switch Heatran into Genesect, there's always the chance the that Genesect might net a KO on any given Pokemon. It's a formidable combination that is only bypassed by Shed Shell Heatran, so keep that in mind if someone decides to directly switch Heatran into Genesect,(comma) as they will notwithout fear of being trapped by your Dugtrio. Genesect pairs up well with Volt Switch users,(comma)as togetherboth they form the feared Volt-Turn combo that is notorious for being difficult to deal with. Volt Switch partners include Rotom-W, Magnezone, Forretress, Thundurus-T, and Zapdos.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf Genesect is a lot of things&mdash;fast, powerful, difficult to deal with, effective, and game-defining. It's a rather easy Pokemon to use, and as such you should expect to see Genesect make a big play in any given match. If you want to use Genesect effectively, you should shy away from being one-dimensional. While there's no harm in spamming U-turn, Genesect is a lot more effective if it KOs or seriously injures one of its checks with a coverage move. While it's often a lot safer to just U-turn, consider using a coverage move to damage one of Genesect's primary switch-ins to the point where they can't switch into U-turn anymore. Once Genesect's checks are weakened, very little can stop Genesect from sweeping, especially if its it's picked up a Special Attack boost.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Genesect takes on more of a sweeping role when using Rock Polish; between its high Special Attack and insane coverage, it should have no problem cleaving through most teams when given the chance. Genesect's auspicious typing allows it to resistgrants a resistance to nearly every single commonly used priority move in OU, and it has no problem setting up a Rock Polish due to its downright supernatural ability to force switches. After a Rock Polish, Genesect outspeeds close to everything in OU, including most Swift Swim / Chlorophyll users in their respective weathers of choice. Ideally,(comma) you'll want to wait until the opponent's team has been sufficiently weakened before attempting to sweep. Most teams crumble in the face of Genesect's awesome coverage&mdash;nothing is walling the combination of Ice Beam, Bug Buzz, and Thunderbolt,(comma) short of dedicated special walls or Heatran, so you'll want them removed before using Rock Polish.</p>

<p>If the combination of Bug Buzz, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt does not appeal to you, never fear, for Genesect has plenty of other options to fit your purposes. Giga Drain destroys Terrakion, Specially Defensive Rotom-W, and Gastrodon, while also maintaining coverage against most of the Pokemon that are weak against to Thunderbolt. Flamethrower can be used to roast Steel-types, but as this set excels in rain,(comma) and most Steel-types are 2HKOed by Bug Buzz or a coverage move, it ends up being a situational move option. You should strive to take Download into account, as after a Special Attack boost and a Rock Polish, Genesect is basically set to sweep through teams. It's impossible to consistently choose what Download boost Genesect receives,(comma)as it's generallyentirely dependent on your opponent, but you should try to set up on Pokemon that typically grant Special Attack boosts,(comma) if you can.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Expert Belt can be used in place of Life Orb to bluff a Choice Scarf; you can use Genesect as a pseudo-Choice Scarf user and set up a Rock Polish duringat the right opportunity. The choice between using a Modest or Timid nature comes down to whether you want power or the ability to outspeed non-Choice Scarf Genesect and max Speed Rotom-W. An EV spread consisting of 136 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 116 Spe with a Modest nature lets Genesect outspeed every conceivable threat in OU with a hefty boost in bulk. Unfortunately, the drop in Speed makes Genesect rather slow without a Rock Polish boost, so make sure to keep that in mind if you plan on using that spread. Thunder is a valid option on rain teams, and as this set excels in rain it is definitely ends up being one of Genesect's better move options on those teams. Hidden Power Ground lets you bypass Heatran, though unless you have a burning hatred towards Heatran, it's not worth giving up any of Genesect's superior coverage moves.</p>

<p>Focus Sash might seem like a gimmicky option, but Genesect is capable of putting it to good use, as a Genesect that is guaranteed to survive a hit is pretty dangerous. It also allows Genesect to bluff a Choice Scarf. Rock Polish Genesect loves having entry hazards,(comma)as it makes scoring OHKOs significantly easier. It should come to no surprise that Deoxys-D is the perfect partner,(comma) as it's capable ofrapidly laying almost guaranteed to lay down entry hazards on a nearly guaranteed basis quickly and reliably. Just think about how much more likelierlikelyGenesect can score OHKOs those OHKOs will be when every opposing Pokemon operates at 70-80% instead of at 100%. Rock Polish Genesect also appreciates having Pokemon that can weaken walls or teams in general,(comma)as it will then have an easier time sweeping late-game. Pokemon such as Choice Band Terrakion and Choice Specs Latios are great examples of Pokemon that are capable of easily wearing down walls with very little prediction on the user's part. This set requires a bit of planning in order for it to work; busting it out early-game is the wrong way to use it, as a healthy Rock Polish Genesect is extremely dangerous, but not if it can't OHKO its targets. A properly utilized Rock Polish Genesect is capable of placing your opponent into checkmate.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set forgoes the Speed and revenge killing ability available to the Choice Scarf set and literally turns Genesect into a killing machine. Little can stand in Genesect's way, as its incredible coverage and access to U-turn makes it extremely hard for opponents to endure its offensive onslaught. Contrary toUnlike the Choice Scarf set, there's no overwhelming need to use U-turn immediately, as the point of this set is to get in and cause as much damage as possible. Between Ice Beam, Flamethrower, and Thunderbolt, it's pretty much impossible to to outright wall Genesect without resorting to dedicated special walls, which is where U-turn comes into play. U-turn counteracts your opponent's attempts to switch in a Pokemon that can sponge Genesect's Special Attacks, such as Heatran or Blissey. You don't even necessarily have to predict their switch in; you're free to use any attack and then U-turn out to get some free damage and momentum. Like with Choice Scarf, Bug Buzz can be used over Thunderbolt as a powerful Special Attack. Bug Buzz is ridiculously strong, and it meshes well with Flamethrower, as none of the common Pokemon who resist Bug-type attacks,(comma)resists outside of Heatran,(comma) like taking Flamethrower. This set arguably makes the most use out of Download on averageout of all of Genesect's sets, as it has the benefit of being able to switch moves. The biggest attraction to this set, however, is its ability to bluff a Choice Scarf set. Your opponent has no idea what kind of Genesect you're using in the early gamewhen they see it in Team Preview, and because Choice Scarf is ridiculously common on Genesect,(comma) you're near guaranteed to pull off a bluff at least once in a given match. Capitalize on this when your opponent decides to bring insomething that might attempt to set up on Genesect's coverage moves and punish them accordingly.</p>
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Expert Belt is the item of choice on this set, but Focus Sash is arguably just as effective. If you're good at keeping entry hazards off your side of the field in the early-game, then Focus Sash can prove to be more useful for you,(comma)as it also allows Genesect to bluff a Choice Scarf and it provides Genesect with the crucial ability of enduring to endure any single attack. It also gives it a leg up against opposing Genesect, which can come in handy in lead match-ups. Life Orb can be used to power up Genesect's attacks, but its it's mostly detrimental to Genesect, as it does not need that boost in power, and Life Orb immediately reveals to the your opponent that you aren't using a Choice item. There's no reason to deviate from the listed nature and EVs; non-Choice Scarf Genesect is slow as is, and choosing a Special Attack boosting nature is a pointless expenditure,(comma)as Genesect doesn't really need Special Attack on this set. If you're set on using a Special Attack boosting nature, bear in mind that opposing Timid Rotom-W, Jolly Haxorus, and Hydreigon can outspeed Genesect now.</p>

<p>Substitute turns Genesect into an even deadlier attacker that has the distinction of being ridiculously difficult to remove; you’llyou'll be hard pressed to find a team that can remove a Genesect from behind a Substitute without at least losing one Pokemon or having a Pokemon ridiculously badly weakened, especially if Genesect has received a Special Attack boost from Download. Even better for GenesectIt gets even better though, it as Genesect can easily set up Substitutes due to its ability tocan easily bluff a Choice Scarf set, and thus force switches. Hidden Power Ground can go over any of Genesect's coverage moves to better deal with Heatran, but this comes at the cost of significant killing ability and general usefulness. A physically orientated moveset with attacks such as Iron Head, Zen Headbutt, or Explosion is certainly viable; U-turn receives a moderate boost in power, and Iron Head and Zen Headbutt are viable move choices that can target Pokemon like Terrakion,(remove)and Tentacruel, whilst while still being able to cause general mayhem with Genesect's other coverage moves. This set loves having entry hazards on the field,(comma)as nearly all of Genesect's checks are grounded and are liable to bequickly pushed into 2HKO-OHKO range.</p>

<p>Unlike the Choice Scarf set, this set actually has a legitimate weakness in the form of mediocre Speed. Genesect is now checked by a slew of faster offensive Pokemon such as Terrakion, Keldeo, and fast special attackers in general with a Fire-type move, in addition to already being checked by defensive Pokemon, such as Blissey, Chansey, and Heatran. Like the Choice Scarf set, this set appreciates Dugtrio support, as it is capable of removing Heatran, Blissey, and Terrakion. This Genesect variant is a top-notch wallbreaker, so don't hesitate to load your team up with powerful offensive Pokemon that benefit from weakened or removed walls. Dragon-types such as Dragonite, Latios, Latias, and Salamence love having Genesect by their side,(comma) as it's prone to very capable of weakening or killing walls before fainting, which is of paramount importance for these Pokemon. Other insanely powerful threats such as Landorus, Keldeo, and Breloom benefit similarly benefit from Genesect's presence.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Specs is a no-brainer on a Pokemon like Genesect; it boosts its already fantastic Special Attack and makes it exceedingly difficult to wall. Choice Specs-boosted Bug Buzz is capable of annihilating pretty much anything that switches in, save dedicated special walls such as Blissey or Heatran. Genesect's coverage moves pick up the slack, as they're effective against the Pokemon that resist Bug Buzz, though for the most part you should be spamming Bug Buzz as even Pokemon that resist Bug Buzz take huge damage from it [calcs? Elaborate?]. Download is appreciated, perhaps even more so than any of Genesect's other sets,(comma)because at +1, it'sits Choice Specs-boosted moves are pushed into overkill territory. Thunderbolt, for example, is notable for being able to heavily damage Genesect's checks after a Download boost&mdash; .(remove) For example, Offensive for example, offensive Heatran is 2HKOed by a +1 Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock. U-turn should see very little use on this set,(comma) as you'll get more mileage out of spamming powerful attacking moves. Only use it when your opponent has hard stops to this set, such as Heatran or Chansey.</p>

<p>Giga Drain is a handy move to have for taking down Terrakion and Gastrodon, Pokemon that are otherwise capable of semi-checking this set. Flamethrower is effective against Steel-types, though keep in mind that Genesect doesn't gain any notable coverage with Flamethrower,(comma) as most Steel-types can barely manage getting hit by either take Bug Buzz or Thunderbolt regardless, and it's useless on Rainrain teams. The ability to OHKO most Steel-types at any time is handy, however. The Choice Specs set is also capable of bluffing a Choice Scarf set, though the somewhat obvious increase in power will instantly give you away, so don't count on asuccessfully bluffing more than once more than one successful bluff.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Naive or Hasty natures are decent replacements over the main natures listed, though this really only relevant against opposing Genesect, as the Pokemon that reside near Genesect's Speed tier,(comma) such as Haxorus or Hydreigon,(comma) rarely (if ever) run max speed Speed and this prioritizesthus one should prioritize power over Speed. It should go without saying that Thunder can be used over Thunderbolt on rain teams; take note that Choice Specs-boosted Thunder is astonishingly powerful. In addition to being able to 2HKO Offensive Heatran without Stealth Rock, if Genesect receives a Special Attack boost via Download,(comma) it is actually capable of 2HKOing Specially Defensive Heatran with Thunder, a feat that should speak for itself. Flash Cannon gives Genesect the ability to destroy Kyurem-B as well give it as an answer to potential Terrakion switch-ins, if so inclined. Hidden Power Ground is actually a somewhat decent move on the Choice Specs set, as Genesect more or less has the room to fit it in, and it's capable of OHKOing Specially Defensive Heatran after Stealth Rock. This variant of Genesect doesn't really need any particular partners; it's arguably the set that relies on Dugtrio the least,(comma) as it's capable of 2HKOing Heatran under specific situations. Dugtrio is still a fine partner, as instantly removing Heatran and Blissey from the battle is preferable to weakening them into KO range over time. Choice Specs Genesect predictably benefits from entry hazards, as since they secure more OHKOs/2HKOs and synergize with Genesect's ability to force switches. This variant of Genesect is not as much of a team player likeas the Choice Scarf set; it's slow,(comma) and in some cases,(comma) you might find that extra Special Attack to be superfluous unnecessary; however, with appropriate play you will be rewarded with surprise KOs on key targets. Choice Specs Genesect takes the term impossible to wall to a whole other level.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Band seems like an odd item to use on Genesect, as after all,(comma)it's its physical movepool is underwhelming compared to its divine special movepool, and as such, it's much better suited to special attacking. However, all of those concerns are made irrelevant when Download and a powerful U-turn are taken into account. Genesect has the potential of usingto use aan Attack- boosted U-turn which runs off an absurdly high 837 Attack stat, without a single turn of setup&mdash;indeed, it exceeds even the legendary Choice Band Scizor's in power. In addition, Genesect is still capable of using powerful special attacks to defeat physical walls switching into U-turn. Iron Head is a powerful STAB move, though it's its coverage is redundant with U-turn,(comma) and Steel-type is a terrible standalone offensive typing,(comma) so make sure you use this move selectivelywith care, such as notably against Terrakion or Gliscor switch-ins. Flamethrower, even without Special Attack investment, is capable of 2HKOing Pokemon which would otherwise wall this set, such as Skarmory and Forretress. This set is simple in execution; spam U-turn to your heart's content while making selective use out of Genesect's coverage moves to remove Pokemon that would otherwise wall you. Zen Headbutt can be used over Iron Head to target different threats, such as Tentacruel, Keldeo, and Volcorona Volcarona, though like Iron Head it should be used preciselycarefully as it's a move that is very easy for the opponent to take advantage of. Explosion can be used as a final coup de grace to heavily damage pretty much anything that switches in, though you should consider using it only after you've obtained an Attack boost. Choice Band Genesect is particularly effective against lead Deoxys-D,(comma) as it outspeeds and OHKOes it (thus preventing it from setting up entry hazards) while gaining momentum in the process [surely if Gene OHKOed Deo-D, then was switched out by the effect of U-turn, the opponent would have the momentum, since they can choose what they switch into whatever you switched out next? Possibly you could clarify this point].</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Naughty or Lonely nature can be used for more Power power, though Choice Band Genesect sorely misses the ability to outrun Deoxys-D. On the other hand, there's no overwhelming need to run extra Speed on Choice Band Genesect as it's primarily used as a heavy hitter that switches into Pokemon that can't threaten it, so feel free to run either of the Attack boosting natures if you have Deoxys-D covered. Thunderbolt or Thunder can be used to deal with Skarmory while rain is up, though you're better off just U-turning against it, as an uninvested Thunderbolt cannot OHKO Skarmory. Genesect does its best Scizor impression when using Quick Attack,(comma) and it's a semi-legitimate move option, as Quick Attack does decent damage, especially after an Attack boost,(comma) and is useful for KOing weakened targets. This set predictably pairs up well with Rotom-W to form the Volt-Turn Volt-turn core, and with Dugtrio, which easily traps Heatran without much resistancefuss. It also pairs up with Choice Scarf Landorus or Mienshao,(comma) as either of these Pokemon can take up the role of fast revenge killer with U-turn. Magnezone is a great partner to this set because it can trap and kill most of the Pokemon that sponge can take U-turns from Choice Band Genesect, and it also has access to Volt Switch. Entry hazards are a given, as they can be used to punish your opponent for constantly switching, which will invariably happen as Genesect is prone to causing switches. Even though you want to spam U-turn, using Genesect's coverage moves at the right time can prove useful. Its Speed iscan be a detrimentproblemtoo, so keepso,keep that in mind when facing opposing Genesect.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>For a technologically advanced super bug, Genesect's movepool is surprisingly barren [?!??…]. It has everything it needs to function as an offensive juggernaut, while everything else is pretty much just filler. Explosion can be used on the Choice Scarf set as a last minute Hail Mary play, though you wouldn't want to give up a precious moveslot for Explosion and you definitely wouldn't want to waste your precious Genesect! Genesect gets moves like Shadow Ball, Tri Attack, and Psychic; you know, moves you'll never use but are nice to list anyway. Metal Sound could be decent on special attacking sets, as Genesect doesn't have access to conventional boosting moves like Calm Mind or Nasty Plot. It can run a DualScreens dual screen set but... why would you ever want to run Dual Screen dual screenGenesect? Charge Beam is the only way for it to boost its Special Attack outside of Download, and it's a decent (albeit unreliable) choice on special attacking sets. Flame Charge is definitely outclassed by Rock Polish and shouldn't see use, period. Unfortunately, the only good thing about it'sits signature move, Techno Blast, is the name. It's almost entirely outclassed by everything else. It can theoretically use the Water Douse Drive to target Heatran in the rain, but Life Orb-boosted Hidden Power Water is actually stronger. Aside from protecting Genesect from Trick, the drives are utterly useless.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

<p>Genesect is unarguably the hardest Pokemon in the game to counter. There are plenty of Pokemon that can switch into it, but all of them are vulnerable to U-turn or a particular coverage move. Heatran comes to mind as the undisputed best Genesect "counter". It can switch into almost everything Genesect can use and threaten it with a 4x super effective Fire-type move. The issue with using Heatran to counter Genesect is that Genesect is usually paired up with Dugtrio, a Pokemon that can easily trap and KO it. By switching Heatran into Genesect, you risk it using U-turn and switching to Dugtrio; fortunately this can be circumvented by using Shed Shell on Heatran. Blissey and Chansey are capable of walling Genesect in regards to special attacking and crippling it with Thunder Wave, though they're vulnerable to U-turn, and the former is also vulnerable to Dugtrio. Terrakion with Sandstorm sandstorm support is the best offensive check to Genesect in the tier. It resists U-turn / Bug Buzz and doesn't take much from any its coverage moves, barring Giga Drain or Steel-type STAB. It's highly effective at checking Genesect in the sand, but it's also a decent check outside of it (though it should watch out for boosted special attacks). Keldeo functions similarly to Terrakion, as it resists U-turn / Bug Buzz, Flamethrower, and Ice beam Beam, but it has to watch out for Electric-type moves. Tentacruel is a decent check in the rain, as it's capable of taking on everything Genesect can throw at it, barring Electric-type attacks, and can recover from repeated U-turns with Rain Dish. Jellicent functions similarly to Tentacruel, with Recover instead of Rain Dish and a shared vulnerability to Electric-type moves. Unfortunately, it might not get the opportunity to recover against fast paced Genesect teams. Gastrodon is a decent, albeit shaky, check to Genesect. It's capable of taking on most of the special attacking sets, though only if it switches into a coverage move; Gastrodon does not like taking repeated U-turns, nor can it handle Giga Drain. Rotom-H can resist actually resists all of Genesect's moves&mdash;U-turn, Bug Buzz, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Giga Drain, Flash Cannon, and Giga Drain&mdash;and it completely bypasses Dugtrio with Levitate, but its Stealth Rock weakness makes it an unreliable check.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf Genesect is somewhat checked by faster Choice Scarf users, such as Keldeo, Thundurus-T, Landorus, Garchomp, and Salamence. All of these Pokemon either have a move powerful enough to OHKO it or are capable of crippling it to the point where it's limited to only 1 or 2 more switches into battle (assuming Stealth Rock is in play). If Genesect is not using Choice Scarf,(comma) it's checked by pretty much everything that's faster that exists in the OU tier. As it causes tons of switches, entry hazards are especially effective at curbing the amount number of times it can switch into battle. Genesect can be trapped and KOed by either Magnezone or Magneton. While you can generally switch these Pokemon into Genesect as it uses a coverage move, it's much safer to have it KO a Pokemon of your own (assuming its Choicedit is Choice-locked) and then to revenge killing kill it. Remember thatOverall, though, "You don't counter Genesect" should be your mantra. You should check it by switching a Pokemoninto a resisted move or actively working to prevent it from setting up if you suspect a Rock Polish set. Admittedly, there aren't many other ways to deal with Genesect, as it's notoriously difficult to counter. Remember to keep in mind that no Pokemon, no matter how powerful, can defeat the player who effectively plays against its strategy.</p>

I'm slightly upset that I didn't get to write the ultimate bug's analysis. But you've done it more than justice, so I can't complain.

I made quite a number of changes, so you may want to ask for a third check. Personally I wouldn't bother as Genesect needs to get on-site, but if you don't trust my checking skills, I wouldn't blame you.

Feel free to ask if there's any changes I've made that you want to question

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)