Generation Y, "yuppies", "millenials"...unhappy?

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
have the verve to call me out in the right thread

edit: thevalkyries i don't know how your post got more insipid post-edit, but it did.

if your intention was to troll me then . . .

if your intention was to ask a genuine question, then no, your conclusion does not follow the premise.

Last edited:

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
1. Since when the fucked did being poor mean one isn't special or entitled? The quote is the dumbest thing I've seen the the man who fed the moray eel sausages by hand and was surprised that the eel bit his finger.

2. I'm taking this opportunity to express how happy it makes me to see TIK's old avvy :DDDDD

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah so lets get the ball rolling on this in a "now detached from a forum trolling" way.

First, let me state for the record that Huffington Post article is one of the worst things I have ever read. It's like a child did it. It's condescending in its entire layout and unfit for consumption by its intended audience. Weinstein's article was objectively better, though he did end it on a very whiny note. The fact our government (America, but the idea is universal) has ballooned so much is part of the reason why the cost of living is so high, and asking government to shower down more opulence on society when it is proven to be the least efficient vehicle for that is something I really think we should quit doing.

After all, our generation (July '86, firmly in Gen Y) is not delusional about the fact that social safety nets that exist for the elderly today are not going to exist for us. They are insolvent under their current funding mechanism. So part of what plays into happiness is the idea we're getting our paychecks torched every week to pay for people who are already higher up the income and wealth standings, with no possible equivalent benefit for ourselves. Even if we think the program's concept itself is a good and necessary thing, the fact we're being stifled by it is a definite stressor.

I'm not unhappy and I don't think most of my peers are either. There is a palpable frustration with the way things are going, and I don't think any generation is more split on the way to resolve these bread and butter issues than ours is. No, we're not in the 1860's fighting a war over ending slavery, or in the 1780's rebelling against the world's greatest naval power because of taxation without representation - but I do think we're at a very tense time where a lot of important decisions about how our society operates will need to be made quickly.

has no one picked up on the use of the term 'yuppie' which i believe is always used in context of young, middle-high income, upwardly-moving professionals

i don't think it's fair to say that the writer is trying to generalise an entire generation of people when it outright says "She's also part of a yuppie culture that makes up a large portion of Gen Y,"

and large doesn't mean 'dominant', i'm sure asian people make a large portion of gen y but that doesn't mean all gen y people are asian

sounds like you guys are getting angry over nothing! although that doesn't change the fact that the article and huffington post in general is pretty bad

The second article is so over-dramatic like I don't know how this can be taken seriously.

thug life

also why is my avatar an ariados.does it have to do with my post count?

Last edited:
- every generation has it better than the previous generation and thinks that everything's getting worse
- lot of people have a rose-coloured view of the past, and pine for a golden age that never existed
- media's more accessible and illnesses are better detected / recognized, therefore we become aware of more and more of the bad things going on in the world, therefore we think the world is going to shit
- I have suspicions that part of this is driven by a religious zealot mentality that's constantly preparing / searching for signs of "the end times"
etc. etc.
relevant

Anyway, can I talk for a bit about the persistent anti-technology sentiment in society? I have family members who use smartphones, watch shows online, and connect through Facebook all the time, yet buy into the mentality that technology is surely having a negative net impact on society. I've heard people say that Satan uses technology to draw people away from "real" face-to-face contact. Seriously! I'm not even in America, ffs.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
capefeather Your argument about technology goes both ways, it has positive and negative effects and I think that it isn't really good or bad, but that it is going to reshape our world drastically in ways that we either cannot see, or choose to ignore (a la global warming). So I think there is a lot of fear, and I fear this too, that technology is moving faster than we are adapting to it, and the flip side of this is that I also fear that we aren't using it fast enough or well enough that it can solve some of the problems that it creates. It is interesting tho, I am 1000% more afraid of facebook and smart phones than I am of 'the internet' as a whole and I think a lot of our research is being done on stupid consumer shit rather than important shit like space stuff and environmental stuff. Basically: technology is rapidly changing how humans think and there is nothing bad or good about it (at this time), but it is immense and I think fear is really healthy in this case and I also think we aren't focusing on the right areas both in our implementation of technology and our development of it (at this time).

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
A generation of people who got free university education (in Australia anyway), a job for life culture upon graduation, and easy entry into the housing market really don't have any right to claim that a generation that got none of those things is unhappy because of entitlement issues.
this is a highly ignorant and condescending post. everyone in life has issues, some more than others but that does not mean that one generation is without problems and should "just be happy". just because we are more priviledged in certain aspects in life does not mean our problems should be trivialised. this is basically the same misguided notion as the whole "only people in the third world country can have issues" sentiment.

i havent read much of the rest of the thread but ill respond anyway

there is one beautiful quote that is too true and pertains to this issue of generation y and unhappiness:
"We are the generation of nostalgia. We grew up in the age of transition. From hand-written letters to electronic mails. From film to digital. We were fascinated by new things, neglecting the way we spend our afternoons. Cupcakes and tea. Play-Doh and Polly Pockets. Young and naive. Technology completely changed the way we waited and we grew up too fast. The simple things in life seems more meaningful now. We grew up in the age of transition and have become the generation of nostalgia."

generation y as a whole experienced life before the internet, and the rapid changes to the world coincided with our teens and early twenties which happens to be the time where we change the most as a person. things that were important to us before like family, friends, the great outdoors become trivial with this technology driven world. books turns into kindles, afternoon get-together turns into a night on msn, watching the sunset turns into a late night tv show marathon, and a casual jog with friends or even by yourself turns into a run on the treadmill or spin on the bike.

i believe majority of generation y remembers life before technology, and i believe that a lot of people in this generation would love nothing better but to go back in time and make the most of their late-childhood and/or teen years.

this is a highly ignorant and condescending post. everyone in life has issues, some more than others but that does not mean that one generation is without problems and should "just be happy". just because we are more priviledged in certain aspects in life does not mean our problems should be trivialised. this is basically the same misguided notion as the whole "only people in the third world country can have issues" sentiment.

I think you missed the point of my post.

People should just stop wasting so much time complaining and comparing generations to each other. They should spend more time at work trying to get a better job and more money :)
Problem solved.

LOL at the idea that the Australian housing market is easy entry. The only people who get that benefit were the boomers and early Xers.

Their negative gearing have made Australian residential property anywhere near the city impossible to afford - over 90% of the population can't afford housing.

i believe majority of generation y remembers life before technology, and i believe that a lot of people in this generation would love nothing better but to go back in time and make the most of their late-childhood and/or teen years.
nobody remembers life before technology. fuckin' nobody, especially those in generation y. cars, telephones, radios, televisions? all that shit existed back then, certainly far beyond when generation y began. sure, it's becoming ever more common, particularly in the hands of children, but it not being there? nah - and this isn't me being an asshole and pointing out that shovels and even spears are in fact technology of a sort.

also, people having nostalgia for the "good ol' days" isn't exactly new and i honestly doubt it has much to do with technology, after all, modern technology is remembered fondly by many people that closely grew up with it - remember that old gameboy or nintendo 64 and how it "practically raised you," and when you were angry at that bully at school that you always had mario and your favourite pokemon to cheer you up? of course you do. you probably don't remember things like how much you hated that bitch in second grade or how much it hurt when your parents divorced, though, or at least the memory is foggy/suppressed.

people forget the bad things about their pasts and remember the great parts about it; that's what gets all of these people bitching about "back in my day..." and whatnot, even though things may have been objectively worse "in [their] time," - this is noticeable particularly in childhood when people are generally "carefree" and thus lack the responsibilities and gravity of the "real world" on their shoulders and are thus generally more mentally liberated due to lack of overall concern, and thus their not really knowing how the world works in any way more than their very narrow perception of it.

also, his post wasn't so much to demean the baby boomers so much as to say that generation y has actually valid reasons to be pissed at their current situation. i honestly don't pay a terrible lot of attention to global economic trends over various decades, but it doesn't seem inaccurate.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Sometimes I do wonder if they actually check the quality of news articles at all.

Although previous generations do follow the tradition of bashing the next generation, they could have pulled off a better one.

As for why they do it, I think they do it so they can reduce the salaries for young people applying jobs.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think generation Y is any happier or more unhappy than the previous ones, but that those worse off can better communicate their unhappiness thanks to the greater amount of social media prevalent today. That would explain why so many people subscribe to the generalization, because they can base it off a few examples that they've seen on the Internet.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since when does Generation Y extend all the way back to the late 70s? I'm '84 and this is the first time I've ever seen it said I am in Gen Y.

Thankfully I'm an exception to the article so I don't have to feel insulted :)

Both articles are far too opinionated and biased to be taken seriously. One being from a poor writer. The former requiring pictures of unicorns, flowers, and other meme worthy illustrations to make its point should put everything into context.

There is a large segment of gen y(my generation btw) that seemingly think money and success will fall their way with little no no effort. Though it is hardly the majority as some would have you believe. Like my parents, I work 50+ hours a week, and pay into social welfare programs that have no concern for my welfare. It's hard not to be perturbed when in a few years we will be paying to take care of the generation that created this economic situation(the people writing the unicorn article). Ironically enough it will likely be the last generation to be able to draw from social security.

Convenient how that works out. "Get to work you entitled babies...but hey will you pick up our bill, we're a little strapped for cash. Recession and all."

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
nobody remembers life before technology. fuckin' nobody, especially those in generation y. cars, telephones, radios, televisions? all that shit existed back then, certainly far beyond when generation y began. sure, it's becoming ever more common, particularly in the hands of children, but it not being there? nah - and this isn't me being an asshole and pointing out that shovels and even spears are in fact technology of a sort.
i worded it wrongly and it completely changed what i meant, i meant life before internet******

Since when does Generation Y extend all the way back to the late 70s? I'm '84 and this is the first time I've ever seen it said I am in Gen Y.
Late 70s definitely sounds too early to me, but 1984 is reasonable, most groups say Gen Y are 1982-2000 give or take a bit -- though I tend to think trying to attribute qualities to people based on a generational time span is a bit problematic; different experiences are a big factor, the "Generation 9/11" (those born between 1982 and 1991) is a big divide in Gen Y, which coincidentally lines up fairly well with memory of a time before the internet was commonly available (those who have been on the internet for more than a decade certainly experienced something different).

In the US, college tuition has skyrocketed and 20 year olds have the highest unemployment rate.

Meanwhile, the US government focuses on Medicare for senior citizens and baby boomers.

I wonder why we're unhappy. Must be because we're egotistical! (#logic)

*has a gigantic blinking eyeball in his sig
I'm sorry, but your sig freaks me out. You don't have to change it, but I'm just saying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)