General Analysis Revamp

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Aldaron and I had talked about this, and this might have to wait for a future time before it's implemented, but the idea is this.

Smogon's Analysis pages are laid out in a very misleading matter. The sets come first, which sort of implies "If you are using this Pokemon, you should use it this way". I believe this mentality is wrong mostly because taking standard sets can only get you so far. I believe the analysis should be revamped to the following format

1) General Analysis or "How to use this Pokemon" - What does the movepool, typing, abilities of the Pokemon warrant us how to use this Pokemon? For Example, Tyranitar can be used to take special hits due to his massive special defense, while its movepool allows it to do anything it wants. These are the aspects of the Pokemon we should talk about. We should be teaching the unique traits of this Pokemon, and what kind of things it can do, and how you should use it. This section should replace the opinion section, which is quite useless.

2) Sets. It should be made clear that the sets are an example of how to use a given Pokemon.

3) EVs. These sections need to be revamped, because there are a lot of important stat numbers for any Pokemon

Other than that, I don't find the need to make changes to the analysis.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm tempted to agree with this. People shouldn't be looking for analyses already knowing that "I want to use Pokémon X", and right now the analyses do little to sway a Dragonite user from using Salamence, for example. This kind of a "general analysis" section is probably the only thing I like about Serebii analyses over Smogon analyses.

I'm not sure about this. I was under the impression that analyses were more of what to look for, as opposed to what to use. Most competent battlers can create their own sets anyways. But say I'm against a Breloom and need to know what it will likely be running, the analysis is a quick address to the info I need. It's also great for finding EV spreads necessary for calcs and whatnot. When all that 'how to use this pokemon' stuff is the first thing presented on every single page, it's quite bothersome. While it is convenient for new users, it isn't so much for anybody else. It sounds like the Opinion section and whatnot of the current analyses, which a lot of regular members don't even bother with after their first visit to the page. I don't believe something like that should be presented first.

If you can understand my point, this I believe sets should have the utmost priority. Perhaps have a seperate page (see: seperate analyses suggestion) titled 'intro' or something along those lines for what you're looking for, but the actual analyses need to remain focused on sets in my opinion.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree with Veed here. I've never gone to an analysis to see "Should I use this mon?" I always go looking for a SPECIFIC set, standard EVs, that Pokemon's stats, etc.

I do like the idea of a "Why Use this Pokemon" or "What does this Pokemon do?" section for analyses.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The difference is that you're a smart, intelligent battler.

I personally don't think we should take any information away from the sets, but rather should just plop an "Overview" section in front of them. The sets as detailed now are just fine, and there are enough non-obvious sets to warrant the detail.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
While I'd like to explore this further... I believe this may be a project that will require chaos' involvement. As such, it will be put on back-log until he has more time.

I agree with Veedrock that the quick reference for move sets should be maintained for convenience. However, I strongly believe that a 'how to' guide would be a significant improvement over the current opinion section. I think the overview written for Tyranitar in the current issue of the Smog would be extremely helpful to beginners, but I imagine that it is most likely overlooked where it is located now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)