Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKIII *Official Media Only*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just Eclipse sounds like a more natural name than Stars. Eclipse sounds more professional, I guess. I'm not sure how to describe it, but that's the feeling I get.

What sounds better to you (and the rest of the people on this thread): Eclipse or Stars?

EDIT: Made a Strawpoll: http://www.strawpoll.me/11688231
For whatever reason, I think you have to c/p the link into your web address, instead of just clicking on it. (If this isn't allowed feel free to remove).

Last edited:
I fail to see how Stars is any more or less childish than "Sun" and "Moon"

But also, the original eurogamer report states its a codename. Like how Rainbow was the codename for Sun & Moon.
I'd actually be a little surprised if it was callled stars just because Necrozma's shtick isn't...you know...stars.

I fail to see how Stars is any more or less childish than "Sun" and "Moon"

But also, the original eurogamer report states its a codename. Like how Rainbow was the codename for Sun & Moon.
I'd actually be a little surprised if it was callled stars just because Necrozma's shtick isn't...you know...stars.
I never said it was more childish than "Sun" and "Moon", but "Eclipse", still, refer to my above post. Childish may have been the wrong word to use, but Eclipse is more professional than Stars.

Eclipse fits better for the version pair (because of Solar and Lunar Eclipses) than Stars (as the Moon isn't one). Especially considering that Necrozma is almost entirely black, devoid of light...

I never said it was more childish than "Sun" and "Moon", but "Eclipse", still, refer to my above post. Childish may have been the wrong word to use, but Eclipse is more professional than Stars.
Well my point was less "more childish than eclipse" and more "sun & moon are on the same level"

Also I feel the word your looking for is "complex". Eclipse is more complex to say & spell than stars (which also might be why they'd pass on it but ehh platinum).

I feel if Necorzma is the lead (& also, that it's not just Pokemon Sun Version & Moon Version for Nintendo Switch or Sun 2/Moon 2) it's more likely to be Pokemon Prism.
Prismatic Laser, Prism Armor, has giant prisms on its hands, artwork showing it refracting light through said prisms. The connection is a lot more clear cut than Giratina/Platinum.

Wrong!!! I
SO, getting back on track. Being some of us will be getting the game in just a few hours, there's no more stalling. YOU MUST CHOOSE NOW:

Sun or Moon?

Rowlet, Litten, or Popplio?

And I also guess Boy or Girl?

#TeamMoon #TeamLitten #I'mABoy
Wrong!!! I can stall till January, when I can finally start transferring Pokés to Hawaii, oh to those who are vacationing there BTW at this time, kudos to you Alola!
JK, I'm choosing Rowlet. Unless I can maybe soft-reset for a female Popplio. Not that it matters. I'm sure that most of them have HAs that are superior to their off-the-shelf boring abilities. They should surprise us one day with abilities other than the vanilla-flavor Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent BTW.
I'm probably not viewing this thread anymore to avoid spoilers. I don't want to know what Wimpod or Pikipek evolve into, but I'm sure that at least the former is going to be a beast, going by Magikarp/Feebas.

Just got Sun.

Currently using Popplio and the event Munchlax. On a side note, anyone know if GTS is in the game, or some sort of equivalent? If so, how early/late does it come? Thanks. (Also put it in a spoiler tag, for reasons)

Let's see, Moon, girl named Yuki, and started with a female Popplio. I got lucky and didn't have to start over because they strong arm us into not soft reseting for things like gender or nature. I'm part way into the third island, before the first main plot point of the island, and I have my Primarina.

Strong story so far, and it seems to have a lot of promise that I'm not too far into it yet, despite having about twenty five hours logged, or so. It's hard to gauge where I am in the story because I haven't looked at the new pokémon or story yet, and we're out of the traditional 8-gym system, but I can tell that there will be a lot of back tracking involved, and I'm looking forward to it.

Adding onto that point, these are some strong characters. From Kukui's secret identity (and the fact that he's actually married, for once in these games) (discounting Lenora. her husband wasn't notable in the slightest.) Lillie seems like a strong character, and I could see her becoming a new trainer by the end, despite starting with pacifistic tendencies. Hau tends to annoy me, between his ever present grin and the fact that he can't sit still. I love that he deadpans when we don't react the way that he wants us to, though. It helped once it was actually stated that we are, in fact, eleven years old here.

Umm...I finally figured out how to take my hat off.

I love that the Z-Crystals seem to have replaced badges, in effect giving us an actual in-game out out-game use for them, without needing to remember increasingly complex badge designs (I gave up on that some time in Sinnoh).

I was pleasantly surprised by Dewpider. It gave me hope.

Colress!
I'm in a love-hate relationship with SOS-battles. Frankly, they're a pain when I'm just trying to progress through the story. I get why they're good on paper, and in direct practice, but they're annoying when they're not wanted. It can be like encountering everything I would normally encounter in a run through a cave floor, except all in one battle, and without the distance being covered. It's especially annoying when trying to catch something. It has certainly increase the challenge, though, like the time I was hit by a sudden double-Mirror Move Dragon Rage, or when I was caught in a loop of Smoke Screen-Fire Spin Magby and Magmar. On the other hand, Steenee's razor leaf is able to chain nicely through things like Psyduck, cutting down on grinding quite well.

Frankly, outside of events like totem battles, I'd rather SOS Battles to only be regularly instigated through the use of that adrenaline item, rather than all of my wild encounters randomly turning into potentially looping double battles.

Also, I had to retrain a Salandit, when I got to the fire trial and noticed how feminine Salazzle was. That was the only time I broke my ban on spoilers, because that made me suspicious. On a side note, Koga needs to be retconned to have a Salazzle or a Salandit. He's the master of Toxic, and these two were made to define it.

Ralts isn't in the game, period. First thing I checked for. That's a shame. Gardevoir's one of those pokémon that I can't help but to train when she's available. Do we have an ETA for when the new metagame will start defining itself?

Just got Sun.

Currently using Popplio and the event Munchlax. On a side note, anyone know if GTS is in the game, or some sort of equivalent? If so, how early/late does it come? Thanks. (Also put it in a spoiler tag, for reasons)
The GTS and Wonder Trade are accessable through the Festival Plaza, in the lower screen. I don't remember exactly when we got access to it, but it was very early on. Before the first trial, I think. This is also where we go to do trading and battling, it seems.

There don't seem to be any improvements, GTS or Wonder Trade-wise over Gen VI, unfortunately. I was able to look for a Rufflet without being bombarded by requests for a Mewtwo, at least. I hope that will last, but I'm not banking on it.

I like SOS battles because it adds a sense of dread to every battle. Especially for my time, which can often not reliably kill multiple things at once, or cant kill things in one strike

also certainly makes capturing things an....an adventure.....

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
1. Started in a depressing note. In the cemetery I knew there was an event which gave an item at night (though when I got there it had become day in my game) so I made a quick stop there to get what I think was a TM. At first it looked funny because I first saw the Machamp PokeRide and its basically carrying you like a baby... and then an old lady tells me that her husband died in a Poke Ride accident, before the crash he was able to get Machamp back into its Poke Ball saving its life, and afterward Machamp developed survivor's guilt. You know, FOR KIDS!

2. Met Dexio & Sina and started my Zygarde Core & Cells hunt. Got one Core and was told I had surpassed 10% Cells collected so next island may be getting Zygarde? I think I got all the Cells on Akala Island.

3. Ugh, if you want to do any catching or side quests on Akale Island save it till you completed the island (and even then you may not be able to do everything for not having the necessary PokeRide, mainly Machamp). Most notable is Route 5 which is split into a lower and higher area and you can't access the higher area until you're pretty much down with the top part of the island. Also there's additional off entrances, usually to secret areas to get an item or two, so it also feels twisted.

4. Encountered Gladion early on and Plumeria later on, pretty much showing not all of Skull are bafoons. Though interestingly Gladion is a hire on and technically not a member, getting no respect from the other grunts. They also said he was homeless, and you later find the hotel room he paid two years in advance to live in. And though he doesn't like you he doesn't seem too antagonistic. Eitherway had no problem with Type: Null, I had more of a difficult time with Plumeria because I HATE SALANDIT AND ITS EVOLUTION.

5. Trials were rather interesting. First up was Lana's where she "tricks" you into doing the challenge, though I didn't had that hard a time dealing with Wishiwashi (mainly because I got a Bounsweet from a trade, evolved it, and used Z-Splash to make it a sweeper with Razor Leaf that hit both the Totem and SOS Pokemon). Than things got strange.
Kiawe's next and first dance was straightforward, easy difference to notice but surely it would get more subtle... it didn't. Oh boy it didn't. To the point the last dance was a joke that even got a chuckle from me. That laughter soon stopped because I HATE SALANDIT AND ITS EVOLUTION. Poisoning, Disable, Venom Drench, and it hits hard (plus its Salandit minions have Venoshock). Got through it with sheer power though took a while.
Mallow's started at what we were told, using Stoutland to sniff for ingredients. Then it got wacky as after getting the ingredients you had to tap "a" to mix, grind, and liquefy it. And then you're attacked by the hungry Totem Pokemon. Now I was able to paralyze it so that Speed increase wasn't an issue, but boy when it got out that Castform to use Sunny Day it turned almost into a different battle, but I had type advantage on my side (kind of wished I gave my Torracat the Fire Z-Crystal, but Fire Fang did the job).
Olivia was a pushover, Hariyama and Snorlax took care of everything with Brick Break.

6. Slept in Olivia's bed, Lana's twin sister's bed, and I think Gladion's.

7. Found the GameFreak office. Pretty much that's all I got to say for that. There's one woman who says she was a fan and now works on the games, wonder if that's a reference to anyone.

8. Got to Battle Royal and if you thought Dexio & Sina's Defenders of Kalos disguises were bad. I like how one of the player's responses is "Professor?!" upon meeting "Masked Royal" as that was my response. Though I guess we now know we he has killer abs.

9. First surprise character of the day: Colress. Seemingly working for Aether Foundation now, he's now rocking two power gloves which he's constantly messing with. So I guess the theories were right that he was the "blue" to Lusamine's yellow, Wicke's magenta, and Faba's green.

10. Second "surprise" character: Burnet. Well not really, we knew from the Japenese trailer but that didn't stop them from throwing another surprise with her: she's Kukui's wife. Also Mohn, the guy running Poke Pelago, studied the Ultra Wormholes. They're really dropping the surprises on us.

11. There's a Diglett Cave because if they're going to give Diglett an Alolan form might as well throw that back in too.

12. So Olivia runs a Stone shop... and still only sells Fire, Water, Thunder, and Leaf Stones. *sigh*

13. Also did Aether Paradise and boy the foreshadowing. Let's see, first we got the basement lab playing ominous music, Lusamine and Wicke surprised at the mention of Lillie's name and then saying how kids should listen to adults, and of course Lusamine whispering they need "that" Pokemon in order to protect the Ultra Beasts (with her love, which doesn't sound creepy at all...). Also took out UB-01 fairly quickly, though to be fair I did know its typing. Also the Aether grunts have the Aether logo on the butt of their pants.

14. So team report. Not much team changing till the end, mostly evolutions. Team is now Incineroar, Snorlax, Magneton, Ribombee, Tsareena, and newly added Starmie. Sadly I decided to take out Hariyama as I felt it and Snorlax roles were too similar and I kind of need Snorlax to make the money (Amulet Coin + Happy Hour). But it had a good run, got me through plenty of battles including Olivia's and was the on to take out UB-01 with its Fighting-type Z-Move. Starmie is quickly gaining levels so should be up with the team in no time.

NEXT TIME: Ula'ula Island

I find it kinda interesting that the Pokemon games that are the most different out of all of them could potentially be the first ones to go back to the tradition of having a third version. If this is true, it's the only all the more reason for me to get the Nintendo switch. As for the name, I'm fine with it.

Okay, I really need to know this. I've seen a Finneon in the alolan dex, and I was wondering if/where you can catch it? Thanks in advance.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Okay, I really need to know this. I've seen a Finneon in the alolan dex, and I was wondering if/where you can catch it? Thanks in advance.
Pretty much as soon as you get access to surfing/fishing you can catch a Finneon. It was one of the first Water-types I caught.

Ema Skye

Work!
SOS Chains are making me miss Friend Safari.

I'm like 30 into this Vulpix chain and nothing has Snow Warning yet.

SOS Chains are making me miss Friend Safari.

I'm like 30 into this Vulpix chain and nothing has Snow Warning yet.
That or the Dex Nav though it was just a one time thing. It shouldn't be That much of a pain to get HA's. Not sure if Hordes are better or worse then SOS

I read on Serebii that you can battle Ilima at the Trainer School, where is he?

EDIT: Nevermind. I triggered the event when I visited Ilima's house after you beat his trial.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
A small update today and probably tomorrow, I have work so actually need to sleep.

1. Met Samson and I think its implied Rotom belongs to him? Also mentioned the Rotom Dex was actually made by a genius inventor from Kalos, Clemont maybe?

2. Though Malie City is not-Ecruteak it has a reference to Lumiose City via a Sushi Roll restaurant, though this one you don't need to be Champion to get into and just eat a meal and get items from it.

3. A new layer of customization: ball throwing! Gester teaches you different ways to throw the Poke Ball at the start of the battle. Neat, I'll go back and see the requirements to unlock the ones I didn't later.

4. F*** Mount Hokulani. All I wanted was a Minior, but the things know Self-Destruct and look to have a high catch rate! And Shields Down prevents paralyzing. Oh well. Also trying to get Ditto was annoying, partly the game and partly a mess up on my end. It was able to SOS in another Ditto and it looks like Transform might have priority now since Ditto was able to outspeed my Magneton? And that's the goof on my end, I used Magneton... who has Magnet Pull. Yeah. Now I eventually got the Ditto but still it was frustrating (though I then later had a battle with an Elekid who first summoned another Elekid and then and an Electabuzz; though I still caught the Elekid for dex completion). There was also a Beldum I had to do like 30 turns with before it decided to be captured.

5. My first surprise encounter: Grimsley! Didn't know he was in the game, odd he gives a water themed Poke Ride but Sharpedo is Dark-type. He's also looking a LOT older, like more then I think he should. Either betting has stressed him out or he was covering his age in Gen V.

6. Little need walking features: in the sand the footprints left behind changes to match the Poke Ride Pokemon you're using! Also if you walk over glass it'll make broken glass sound.

7. Got to the point I can make a Zygarde, though decided not. Yeah 10% isn't that powerful but its still a Legendary and want to go through the main go sorta legit.

8. Po Town may be my new favorite location, or at least my favorite villain location. It's just dripping with atmosphere and attitude. First they build up the dread of the place: an entire town taken over by Team Skull (which only Cipher ever did in previous games, Team Rocket only invaded cities but never stayed). Second upon getting their you met by a strange, beaten down, cop-looking fellow who, upon letting you in, says if you lose he'll send back your body to your family and friends (wow, that's pretty dark for a team who had been shown to act like baffoons up till now). Also outside its raining a bit but inside it's a huge storm.
Previous villain HQs showed you a sort of glimpse on how the grunts lived, mainly their bedrooms but never anything like a break room as I can recall. But Po Town shows you how Team Skull members live. It kind of feels like you're going through a gang territory, everything is dilapidated and has graffiti. You encounter "calmer" Skull members and you see that they're kind of miserable, many talking about being outcasts and losers. Geez. Also Guzma is said to be a tyrant actually beating down on his men, something I don't think any other boss did. Course we learn more about him like he wanted to be the Bug-type Captain, to the extent he collected all the Bug Z-Crystals.
Also found Plumeria's rooms and she owns worn down Poke Dolls and a LOT of make up. Couldn't sleep in her bed but sat in Guzma's thrown which has a funny cutscene if you do right after beating him (and sitting in it again gives you a description of the chair).

EDIT:
Forgot team roster update! Incineroar, Snorlax, Magneton, Tsareena, Starmie... and a change! Ribombee was fun and a good Pokemon, but I don't feel Bug is helping me that much, plus my new partner is also a Fairy... and a Ghost. Yup, got a Mimikyu! And already its Disguise Ability has helped me out, it's great for switch ins giving it enough time to at least lay down a Thunder Wave.

We're getting into the meat of the story now. Heading off to the final island next time even though there are parts of Ula'ula I hadn't explored. Guess we'll come back to it later.

Last edited:
How do Battle Royals even work? I just had a match where I got 4 kills, and the next highest had 2 kills. However, I lost all my pokemon, and 2 others still had their last one. I lost the match. How did that even happen?

I found out yesterday that Wonder Trade is still a thing! Oh, I'm so hyped! I wish I could just transfer all my breeding materials and trainees to Sun now, instead of waiting until January (I really had resist any reference to the Arceus-damned election results)!

My Rowlette is female, so I won't be playing through the game and then resetting like I had thought about. I've been trying to get wild Pokémon with natures that would probably suit them, but no luck so far.

So let us end the Anti-Levee Crusade, and begin the Trump Suppression Crusade!

Hey, look on the bright side. At least I'm not ready to start breeding Yungoos yet. So many potential names! I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one Yungoos named P*ssygrabber, knowing the gaming community.
The GTS nickname filter is still on, right?

...right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)