Munchlax (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Return/Body Slam
- Whirlwind

A fun set I've played around with that can really take special hits quite well. Something that really handles Fire spam quite well in the tier. Munchlax's ability allows him to come on some fairly common pokemon such as Typhlosion, Cryagnol, and others and take hits. The Rest-Talk allows him to regain all health back and rid of the statuses while the Body Slam will hopefully paralyze the opponent. (however you will most certainly not outspeed anything) And the whirlwind is there if you need to get rid of a setup sweeper or just to get hazard damage on another pokemon. With some hazard support this set can really weaken a team by forcing switches to handle him.

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Munchlax: 87-103 (18.3 - 21.7%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Munchlax: 186-220 (39.2 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Pyroar Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Munchlax: 105-124 (22.1 - 26.1%) -- 8.4% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Munchlax: 32-40 (6.7 - 8.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 SpA Mesprit Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Munchlax: 67-81 (14.1 - 17%) -- possible 6HKO
I would recommend Facade as the stab because it gets a boost from sleep-talk

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
honestly you shouldn't mention return or facade.. body slam should be the stab of choice because you wont be close to killing anything anyways so you might as well paralyze them.
some stall teams prefer to poison stuff though, that's when Return is better

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Facade is factually incorrect either way, since it doesn't actually trigger on sleep, only on Burn/Para/Poison.

On a side note, I've been playing around with this set for a while and it's not amazing it does enough and sometimes some really amusing situations occur.

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Pursuit
- Thunderbolt

Sap Sipper > The other abilities zebra get, because it counters stuff like vivillon and lilligant way better than otherwise. Then there's timid pursuit, which is what I really meant to post. I sometimes miss HP grass, but with a team more bothered by psychics and ghosts it was something I accept. However, pursuit is nice because things like Xatu, Mismagius (sometimes), Exeggutor and others that normally switch out on Zebstrika still gets hit for a decent chunk of damage (if they had a move to activate sap sipper, even better). It does a solid 40-50% to most things you'd even consider to use it on, so if you need it, go ahead.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ok so I built a drunken joke team around this mon, but it's actually really good lol

kecleon @ choice band | protean
240 hp / 252 atk / 16 spe | adamant
return / sucker punch / shadow sneak / trick

CB kecleon is actually super strong. when I was toying around with it, I was surprised how amazing it was. against offensive teams, you spam strong stab priority attacks, and against defensive teams, you trick your band to something else and call it a day. really impressed with this mon, and I think if you're going to use kecleon in NU, this is the way to do it.

Yeah but stuff that walls it like Steelix still wall it...and Trick doesn't even necessarily cripple it! Although I admit tricking the item off to Probopass and Ferrothorn IS a great help. But once the CB is gone(Trick) I'd imagine it's power to be lacklustre.

90 base atk isn't bad in NU. Just look at Kangaskhan. It's one of the biggest threats to offense and it "only" has a base atk of 95. And Kecleon gets stab on everything so it's even stronger than Kangaskhan.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah but stuff that walls it like Steelix still wall it...and Trick doesn't even necessarily cripple it! Although I admit tricking the item off to Probopass and Ferrothorn IS a great help. But once the CB is gone(Trick) I'd imagine it's power to be lacklustre.
Nah, it's not suddenly weak without Band because it gets stab on everything, and its Sucker Punch is really strong priority.

For reference on its power:
252+ Atk Kecleon Return vs. 0 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 178-211 (41.4 - 49.1%) -- 19.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 156-184 (36.3 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mismagius Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 128 SpD Hariyama: 142-168 (33.1 - 39.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

More than just Base Stats go into how strong a Pokemon is. Kecleon's Base Stats aren't tremendous, but its attacks have good Base Power, which makes up for that.

ahh...sorry bro :) Now it does look good! Might I make a suggestion tho bro? Try pairing this with like a Air Balloon Taunt Probopass to catch Steelix and Ferrothorn on the switch and let CB Kecleon use that Band for a while longer. Just so thjat youi don't immediately have to Trick off the Band if you've predicted an incoming physical wall.Which in this metagme are mostly steels...just a thought :P

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Focus Punch

Just your standard.kanga except focus punch does way more damage than drain punch. It's really useful for kanga's usual switch-ins (specifically rhydon and ferroseed) because it forces them to attack kanga instead of supporting the team with rocks or seeds. It also creates some pretty fun mind games since people like to switch on kanga because of fake out and people tend to avoid attacking because of sucker punch.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
The mindgames with Sucker Punch + Focus Punch are going to be great. However, losing the recovery is going to be pretty bad for kanga as it was it only way for recovery Offensive Wish Kanga New Meta besides Wish support. I think it really helps against things like Ferroseed as it need to attack you with a weak Gyro Ball that only 4HKO's or take 50% health by Focus Punch

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The mindgames with Sucker Punch + Focus Punch are going to be great. However, losing the recovery is going to be pretty bad for kanga as it was it only way for recovery Offensive Wish Kanga New Meta besides Wish support. I think it really helps against things like Ferroseed as it need to attack you with a weak Gyro Ball that only 4HKO's or take 50% health by Focus Punch
Drain Punch gives jack as a way of recovery, tbh I run EQ over it 95% of the time in NU just cause of how weak it is.

Never seen a Servine used so I'm gonna give you my set for it.

I've tried this set several times, both on the NU ladder and in-game on wifi battles. I find the set to be very effective and surprisingly hard to stop.

Set Name: Hail The Serp!

Servine @Eviolite
Adamant/Jolly/Impish/Careful nature (I personally used Adamant, but I can definitely see any of these working)
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Atk/252 Def/252 SpD
Moves:
1- Leaf Blade
2- Aqua Tail
3- Leech Seed
4- Coil/Grassy Terrain

Eviolite and the EVs are self explanatory, bulkier is better. Leaf Blade is a solid STAB move, and coming from 60 base Atk, while not the best in the tier, can definitely hurt some neutral and weak-to-it threats such as Basculin, Kabutops, Bibarel (lol) and absolutely nails Whiscash. Aqua Tail is used for coverage, hitting the Fire-types in the tier for SE damage as well as denting the Flying, Poison, and Bug-types that resist Leaf Blade. Leech Seed is used to provide recovery without relying on teammates, since Eviolite > Leftovers. It also can wear down opposing bulky offensive/walls, always a plus. The last slot is up to preference, I tried both: Coil gives you a boosting move to get your attack to a respectable level, defense even higher, and can boost accuracy to rely on Aqua Tail as a plus. Alternatively, Grassy Terrain can heal Servine passively as well as any grounded teammates that switch in. The downside is that grounded opponents get healed, too.
Personaly, I prefer Coil.
All in all, this set, while maybe not so surprising in itself, is definitely unique in being for Servine, a very overlooked Eviolite user.

Servine isn't that great. As an eviolite user bayleef is better.
Serperior is better with more offense and a lot faster so it can do a lot more roles better. However about the set:
You'd want coil>grassy more reliable
probably sub in there somewhere, so it can sub on the switch from choice locked attacks and get the coil off to start something.
You'd want more in attack to do damage. A set like 252hp/252spdef or att/4att or spdef with adamant would probably work best.
However there are a lot better grass types in nu which can pull off offense better like ludicolo, leafeon, sceptile, OR lilligant.

Never seen a Servine used so I'm gonna give you my set for it.

I've tried this set several times, both on the NU ladder and in-game on wifi battles. I find the set to be very effective and surprisingly hard to stop.

Set Name: Hail The Serp!

Servine @Eviolite
Adamant/Jolly/Impish/Careful nature (I personally used Adamant, but I can definitely see any of these working)
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Atk/252 Def/252 SpD
Moves:
1- Leaf Blade
2- Aqua Tail
3- Leech Seed
4- Coil/Grassy Terrain

Eviolite and the EVs are self explanatory, bulkier is better. Leaf Blade is a solid STAB move, and coming from 60 base Atk, while not the best in the tier, can definitely hurt some neutral and weak-to-it threats such as Basculin, Kabutops, Bibarel (lol) and absolutely nails Whiscash. Aqua Tail is used for coverage, hitting the Fire-types in the tier for SE damage as well as denting the Flying, Poison, and Bug-types that resist Leaf Blade. Leech Seed is used to provide recovery without relying on teammates, since Eviolite > Leftovers. It also can wear down opposing bulky offensive/walls, always a plus. The last slot is up to preference, I tried both: Coil gives you a boosting move to get your attack to a respectable level, defense even higher, and can boost accuracy to rely on Aqua Tail as a plus. Alternatively, Grassy Terrain can heal Servine passively as well as any grounded teammates that switch in. The downside is that grounded opponents get healed, too.
Personaly, I prefer Coil.
All in all, this set, while maybe not so surprising in itself, is definitely unique in being for Servine, a very overlooked Eviolite user.
Imo ferroseed/quilladin does this all better, the former has a better typing, access to utility like twave and hazards, while the former has spikes/leech seed but also bulk up just to be that guy

So i know floatzy doesnt get much love in here mostly because of Gatr and Rott are bulkier (a lot tbf) BUT Floatzel has 2 sets that arent outclassed by 'em powerhouses. The set ill post is a variant of the BU-BP set. I used the normal set with STAB/BP/BU/taunt but i noticed that taunt was barely useful so i made some changes :

Floatzel @ Leftovers
Jolly nature 252 hp/252 speed/4 Att
Ability : Water Veil

-Substitute
-Bulk Up
-Baton Pass
-Waterfall

Floatzels speed tier allows it to set up a sup before most common leads to avoid weak non Stab knock offs or scald or status moves like leech seed, toxic or T wave. Substitute is great because if you manage to set one or two BU the sub becomes hard to break by physical mons and also functions as a great scout move. Also sub can allow you to safely bring a pokemon to deal with unwanted threats and best case scenario pass some boosts with . As a lead it can cause some troubles and of course it has a lot of shortcomings like being walled by half the tier but its main purpose is to support da teamz. As a lead there are only a handfull of mons that cause him trouble (accel, rotom, Scept, Scarf Typh) but its where its most dangerous imo. Pairing this mon up with dragin tail Dragalge has proven to be of great success to me and i thought it was luck but i was adviced to post the set because apparently it wreck ballz :). The attack and hp evs csn be modified for a more aggressive Floatz but as i said being walled by many mons id rather ru full hp for the sub to withstand weak attacks.

This is pretty cool actually Bulk Up Floatzel! I wonder why Floatzel is never used in NU though. I mean it does have solid niches in both Swticheroo/Flame Orb and Bulk Up. Maybe Feraligatr+Floatzel with Natural Gift Grass on one and Natural Gift Fire on the other? Pretty sick dual lure actually. And you may want to change the EVs. Can you tech it so that the Substitutes can take one Weezing Sludge Bomb? Best thing about the set actually is if stuff like Ferroseed comes in just set and BP out to something else. May I suggest Sp.Defensive SD Boufflant Heras a team mate? Would love to see this on a water spam kind of team. WHat are standard swtichins to Floatzel? Sub up on the switch and pass maybe with a few Bulk up boosts!

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 HP / 48 Def / 224 SpA
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leaf Storm

This set isn't creative or anything, but it's super underrated right now. Pretty sure Treecko posted in the np thread or something but I definitely agree that Grass-types are really important to have in this meta due the sheer importance of the threats they check, and this is one of my favorites to use on bulky offense. Regenerator + massive physical bulk makes it an awesome pivot and counter to physical Water- and Ground-types even with an offensive set, and lets it actually provide some solid offensive presence with heavy SpA investment + Leaf Storm. Sleep Powder is also really nice for it since it can just sleep counters like Dragalge and provide more support. The EV spread is designed to always live +2 Kabutops Stone Edge after SR, you can run max / max but I don't think it's necessary.

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
Alright, I figured it was time to drop an old favorite here I've been using since July...Baton Pass Scyther

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Atk / 16 Def / 16 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace
- Baton Pass
- Roost

The premise is simple, Sword Dance and sweep until you come across a rock/steel type that walls Scyther than Baton pass the Swords dance to a fighting type (Gurdurr (my favorite), Hariyama, Sawk, Primape, etc) take the resisted rock hit and make a huge hole in the opponents team. A +2 Sawk or Gurdurr is really scary and the rock steel type will be forced to switch out or be 1HKOed, even if it is Steelix (barring Sturdy).
It's a fantastic set that can catch the opponent off guard and sometimes Scyther alone is enough to sweep, with its huge bulk, recovery, and speed. I put enough speed to outspeed base 95 timid/jolly(electivire mainly) and enough defence to take both physical and special hits, and put the rest in Attack to pack some punch.

It is important to pack hazard blockers/removers for this core though, (Xatu,Crygonal/taunters), but once you build a solid team around it, it can be extremely difficult for a team to break, especially stall ;(

The bulk is real

252+ Atk Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 16 Def Eviolite Scyther: 97-115 (28.2 - 33.5%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 16 Def Eviolite Scyther: 103-123 (30 - 35.8%) -- 35.4% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Mesprit Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 16 SpD Eviolite Scyther: 174-205 (50.7 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Probopass @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Oh yes. God level Vivillion counter. Also bye bye Ferrothorn. :P Come in on Spikes and Taunt that mofo. HP:Fire and hello Feraligatr sweep :P. Not so much a new set as something cool I was trying out. Safety Goggles is kind of over specialized but those Hurricanes and the confusion ;-;

Imo ferroseed/quilladin does this all better, the former has a better typing, access to utility like twave and hazards, while the former has spikes/leech seed but also bulk up just to be that guy
I haven't tried Quilladin out, but I can see Ferroseed doing well with this too. I tried one on-cartridge but not on the NU ladder yet, and actually had more success with Servine. Also I agree Substitute is probably a good idea, but where can Servine afford to run it? Swap out Aqua Tail?

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Kabutops @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Endure
- Flail
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge / Knock Off

And there it is. The monster that dropped to NU a little while ago. Outside of the rain sweeper roll that Kabutops tends to cover, I found another set that makes Kabutops an extremely big threat in this tier. With the solid stats being 60 HP, 115 Atk, 105 Def, 65 SpA, 70 SpDef and a solid 80 Speed. Yes, I do realize somebody made this up before I did, but I also did. So shut up :]

I'll just a quick summary on the set, item and ability. Just like I said last time I said this, and turned out to be longer than expected.
Anyways here are the moves.
The first move on this set will be Endure, which will make sure you live with at least 1 HP, after being hit. This also gives you an opportunity to active your item which is Weakness Policy. For those of you who don´t know what Weakness Policy does, it sharply raises Attack and Special Attack if you're hit by a super effective move. Which is great so you don't have to waste a turn using Swords Dance and risking the chance of dying. Endure also helps with the next move which is going to be Flail. Flail is a very interesting move which does more damage the lower your HP is. At 1% of your health it will have max damage which is 200 Base Power. Which is basically an Explosion without dying. Just make sure your HP is at 1% to make this work efficiently. The third move will be Aqua jet, for some useful priority. A STAB priority move will be great considering you're weak to priority moves if your HP is at 1%. The last move will be Stone Edge. Stone Edge is just a very solid Rock type STAB move. This will put massive damage on any pokemon that does not resist it. Knock Off could be considered to hit the bulky Ghost types, such as Dusclops and Gourgeist, for Super Effective damage and removing their items.

This set is very good and should not be slept on. With a little bit of team support this set will wreck the entire tier. Support from Sticky Web and Hazards are greatly appreciated to slow down the opponents pokemon and get some damage with the entry hazards.

I will leave some calcs at the bottom of this page to show you the raw power of Flail. Hopefully you'll give this set a try.

- Kasumi

+2 252+ Atk Kabutops Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 351-413 (99.1 - 116.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Kabutops Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 379-446 (91.5 - 107.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Kabutops Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Granbull: 289-341 (75.2 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Kabutops Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 278-328 (83.2 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Kabutops Flail (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 225+ Def Eviolite Togetic: 239-282 (76.3 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)