Hobbies Game Collecting Thread

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Good video for anyone interested in the subject!
Somehow this hasn't had a Cong thread and this is like, one of my deepest passions, so I thought I'd spark it off. Game collecting is the concept of, uh...hoarding video games, essentially. It's often stereotyped as "buying rare video games that cost ridiculous amounts of money" and I really don't like it. While this can apply (and does) for many collectors, like most stereotypes, it isn't true for everyone. Game collecting can be something as simple as really liking a specific game console and buying up the library, or just aiming to get all of a specific game series, like Pokemon or Fire Emblem. Game collecting can actually be pretty cheap for some consoles, like the PS2 and original Xbox, which cost almost nothing and the library is stupid cheap outside of a few outliers. Hell, only two Xbox games go above triple figures, and few go over $50, at least in PAL markets.

My game collecting obsession started when I was a kid...it all began with me saying one day "I want to get every game console!" in some naive fashion due to being upset at there not being one console for every game. This led to me becoming one of those people who likes to chase rare games, usually notable ones that interest me like Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. I think LastGamer on YouTube influenced that part of me. Since I was bought up on Nintendo, games like that and Paper Mario The Thousand-Year Door became my own little objectives to get one day. I own them both now, and man if it isn't surreal to look back on now. I've got pretty much every post-1985 game console to date, though there are a few exceptions. So really, I've accomplished what little ol' me wanted to do.

I often go to charity shops with the express aim of getting games from them, as they're often super cheap - like a quid each - and you can find some very real gems while supporting less well-off individuals, animals and the like. Not many people look at the games in those bargain bins and DVD shelves; hell, some rot for months or even years before they find a buyer. Job lots on Facebook Marketplace are also super good as they're often cheaper than buying individual items, and there's often a lot of content available. It gets especially tasty if there are compilation titles involved since you can get tons of playtime out of them. These two methods are the premiere way to get into collecting in my opinion, especially on a budget and/or if you want PS2/Xbox/Xbox 360 games. I've got a gigantic PS2 collection (over 200 counting compilation titles) that's kind of become a meme in my family and friend circles almost solely because of these methods.

I would like to say I have an inventory of sorts, but I suck at keeping them updated. Here's my Backloggery that I updated for the first time in 4 years for the sake of this thread. Feel free to add me to your multitaps (and probably watchlists). Yes, that's 234 PS2 titles you see on that list. Yes, almost all of them are unfinished/unplayed...they look good on my shelves, though. Also, here's a forum widget for my Backloggery in case I decide to actually update it in the future. If it doesn't say Pokemon Snap after like 2 weeks, congratulate me or something.
This update took me all day, and a lot has changed since 2016. The site works as well as it used to...but my old logs were pretty damn shoddy. To say nothing else, younger me was an idiot. If you've not got an inventory and are interested in keeping one, I suggest using this for its flexibility, though there are some websites out there that can sync your achievements and stuff. One thing I liked making use of with Backloggery was its compilation title feature, which helps a lot with the various Sonic compilation titles and Commodore stuff, which tend to give their games out like candy. It also lets you log achievement numbers, which is nice. It's definitely difficult to start off with if you already have a large collection like myself, though.

Anyway...here are two pictures of parts of my collection that I'm particularly proud of. I can probably provide more on request.

Some of my shelves where I place collections of game franchises that I like. I have ones for Metroid, Fire Emblem, Corpse Party and Classic Sonic here, but there's also Shin Megami Tensei, Pokemon, Final Fantasy and Wario outside of here.

My non-Sony shelf. The other one is infested with PS2 games. I'm beginning to run out of space for these, so I may invest in another one. No clue where I'll put it though!

For those interested in game collecting, here's a little FAQ I decided to write up.
Is Game Collecting expensive?
Well, any hoarding habit will burn some kind of hole in your wallet, it's a matter of how large. Some game consoles, like the Virtual Boy, are naturally expensive due to being commercial failures, leading to a smaller resale market and higher demand. However, popular ones with larger resale markets - like the Atari 2600, original Xbox and PS2 - tend to have much lower prices. These also tend to be sold in job lots, which are excellent for starting out or expanding your collection. It's really a case of what you pick and how much you want to go into it. Also, ALWAYS USE PRICECHARTING to make sure you're paying the right price.

If you're out for expensive games, here's my technique for saving money: buy the bits separately. This especially applies to disk-onlies, where the price often drops off a cliff. All you have to do then is buy a box and a manual to complete the set, and you're golden. This stuff is very widely available and it almost always amounts to a cheaper purchase. I've saved tons of money with this technique and came out with the same item as if I bought it all together. Hell, you can make a profit from it, even. If you think about it, it's common sense. However, I do NOT recommend using this for GBA, where fakes are absolutely rife. I'll go over this later.

If you buy cartridge-only, I also encourage you to invest in reproduction boxes for older games that use cardboard boxes for increased protection; there's an entire market for this too. I recommend GoBoxIt on Etsy: the guy is very approachable, has cheap prices and will give discounts on bulk purchases. He's off right now, but I've managed to order via email regardless.

Where should I start?
Look at your current gaming horde. Is there a particular console you like out of them all? Pick that one. Video games are often cheaper than the console unless they're particularly rare, so it's cheaper to start with what you already have. You should always start out with a game console you're invested in, as collecting is fuelled by passion. If you treat it like a chore, it's not for you. Alternatively, look at a console you've always wanted, buy it alongside a couple of games in a joblot, and boom, the collection has begun.

Where do I look?
If you have a set aim on what you want, you should be going to eBay, Yahoo auctions, places like that. It's never been easier to get hold of even the rarest retro games, you just need to visit these websites often. I make a point to check for what I'm looking for every couple of days, or even subscribe to updates for searches if the website offers them.

If you don't have a set aim, I also suggest going to charity shops, car boot sales (that's "flea market" to the Americans reading this) and other places, as you tend to get really cheap job lots that can boost your collection by a good chunk. While those "Oh I found this super rare game for £5" stories are likely not going to happen, they do once in a blue moon; if you're not looking for anything in particular, sometimes you'll cop something interesting or find an old game console for a tenner. Always be the early bird in these scenarios, as stuff can go fast. Never skip out on Facebook Marketplace either, as it's basically an online car boot sale with how people price their stuff.

Isn't this a waste of money? Isn't it hoarding? Aren't you just spending money to show off?

But if you want a serious answer, no, I don't think it is. It's simply my passion and one that many others enjoy.

Game collecting makes for a super cool room setup; hell, I'd say it looks cooler than most house themes people go for. My game room is completely based around this idea, with me displaying games by series with a couple of figurines and stuff. There's a weird fulfilment that I feel when I get an interesting game that I take home, research, and play. Every video game has its own history that the developers built...every single one. In other words, you could say these room setups are something of a museum, and that's beautiful.

There's a game preservation aspect to this too: these days, old video games are slowly degrading and depleting in numbers, as they weren't designed to be infinite. In fact, some DS/3DS cartridges were specifically designed to fail. I feel like by possessing the games myself, I can preserve them for much longer than intended, and keep the history going. Some hardcore collectors have historically acted as a detriment to the preservation movement, such as through refusing to put ROMs of prototypes online and privatising pieces of history that they obtain. I - and many others - admonish them, though I can understand a collector's fears of legal recompense and the like. That's a complex issue that I don't want to cover here though...it's a very different topic. It's also worth mentioning that those private collectors don't really buy to show off like my question states: they're quite common and keep themselves to themselves, buying what their childhood would have wanted.

Considering collecting is almost strictly a physical purchasing topic, I'll also mention that I like the feeling of actually owning my games, which digital storage media can't always provide. DRM, optical disk storage's inherent issues, data loss, the console breaking + the "usage licences" that don't cover said breakages, hacking, poor refund policies, little to no resale value...there are so many problems that I can't even begin to unpack them in a thread like this. Physical purchases are part and parcel of collecting, and I've found it to be much more enticing overall. The eventual death of physical game purchases will be the saddest thing ever, and I can see this eventually happening in the next decade. The Digital Edition PS4 and rise of "Cloud Version" games feels like signs of the times, and I don't like it.

The resale value of retro games is especially nice, too. Game collections will almost always rise in value because as games become rarer, the price increases. As a result, collecting can be seen as an investment, think of it as buying nest eggs. They can't compare in turnover and I'll never say they're a replacement for stocks, but in 10 or so years I can always sell now-expensive parts of my collection to get a much-needed money boost in a bad spot. Video games rarely dip in value if you dive into the gigantic video game aftermarket.

How are you different from scalpers?
You'd be surprised, but I've been asked this a lot.

The difference between a collector and a scalper is that collectors have an appreciation for gaming as an art form and seek to preserve it. In other words, collectors don't buy ridiculous amounts of a single product to sow artificial scarcity and turn a profit: they tend to buy like one of something in ridiculously good condition to keep it that way. Ergo, while some think collectors are some kind of obstacle to others getting a game, they're a pretty small minority. The real problem is the quality of the products game companies used to put out that lead to their scarcity, as well as the scalpers that clown around.

As a testament to the appreciation that collectors have for gaming, how about we look at the preservation efforts that have been made as a result of these people. Without the late SNES collector Near, you wouldn't even be able to emulate most SNES games, let alone have a good emulator. They developed BSNES and uploaded most of those SNES ROMs you likely have on your computer. This is one of many cases where a collector has stepped in to ensure that the masses are able to enjoy games that companies refuse to rerelease. The ROM hacking community - no, the retro gaming community as a whole - would not exist without collectors uploading ROMs of previously undocumented games to the internet.

Do game collectors even "play" their games?
Depends. A very, very large majority of them do, but some buy sealed or "mint" games to grade and display them. I have never met a person like this in my life, and I know a wealth of collectors, though this is personal experience. Personally, if I saw a sealed or super rare CiB game, I would seek to get it graded by VGA, but that's about it.

Some have said to me that collecting suddenly means you're "taking the fun out of owning games" or "not playing your games", but this is a very common stereotype that just doesn't match how it works in practice. Collecting is a very fun experience because the reward for getting the games that I find is, well, a game to play; the average collector bears very little difference to those buying games and playing them when they get home. Collectors usually buy original games to get the pure, original, unfiltered experience of the games those consoles have. This is something emulators simply cannot replicate: playing on a typical gaming PC, often with a replica USB controller, tends to not evoke the same feeling of, let's say, an SNES on a CRT. With that in mind, I would argue that collectors are going above and beyond to play the games they own. This isn't to say emulation and other methods are "inferior" methods of playing, but to say "yes, they play their games, and they go very hard when doing it".

PSA for Cartridge Buyers: Look for fakes
This especially applies to the GBA and SNES markets. Fakes are fucking everywhere. This video is a good one to watch, but I encourage you to look elsewhere as well.
The best way to reduce the probability is, unfortunately, spending more money on boxed copies of games, or at minimum, ones with manuals. It's much more difficult to fake those and people don't put in much effort. Always check the pictures of what you're buying carefully, ask to see them working, and/or ask for more photos of the product. Don't be silly. This is probably one of the biggest drawbacks to my money-saving concept for rare games in the first question, so I recommend not using it for those platforms.

Anyway, some questions to get this off to a flying start...
  1. What are the rarest and/or most interesting games you own?
  2. The biggest purchase you regret?
  3. Any "abused" games you've recoiled in horror at while browsing stores? Think of that Twitter page.
  4. Any hot collector takes or tips to share?
  5. Any weird stories?

Last edited:

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Now that I no longer have school bills to pay, I've been trying to get into collecting CIB DS games; it's probably my favorite console and there are a looooot of hidden gems or otherwise "interesting" games for the system, and it's not that expensive to collect for...at least not yet, and I'm not looking for a full set just the good games (I'm not buying Shepard's Crossing 2 lol, but I hope to get Solatorobo at some point). Unfortunately, because COVID is a thing right now most game prices are higher than they should be, so I've avoided buying games whose price got inflated

It's still an extremely small collection, but here's the pricey/uncommon DS games I got within the last couple years :3 (again note that I'm just now off of tuition and COVID is still a thing, so I expect this to grow over the next several years)
1609116474782.png

• All of the GBA and DS Castlevania games are a little pricey now, though Portrait of Ruin was the cheapest and hasn't really changed in price (got it for $35, it's closer to $40-50 now). I kinda regret picking it up over Aria of Sorrow, Order of Eccelsia, or the Double Pack, but ah well, I'll get them later down the line
  • Bangai-O Spirits shot up in price a good deal over the last couple years, probably because it's a Treasure game so people are realizing it's worthwhile. I remember seeing it loose at a Gamestop for $2 several years ago, knowing full well what it was, but I passed on it, though I think part of me wanted it CIB at the time. I got this a few weeks ago for $30, which I think is reasonable enough given its price was around there pre-COVID
  • Time Hollow is a Konami-developed VN for the DS; considering how well-known the DS is for adventure games, that really caught my eye. It took me quite a while to find it for a reasonable price ($30), but after checking in on EBay regularly I managed to snag it. I'm a little surprised it hasn't changed in price since I bought it; it seems like it's still pretty uncommon so I won't be surprised if it goes up in price, though having played it it's not that great of a game so maybe people will catch on to that.
  • Mega Man Star Force 3 is also my answer to Question 2. Conventions are usually not a good place to get games because prices tend to be inflated like crazy, but at PAX East there was one shop that actually had pretty good prices, albeit the CIBs were not always in the best condition. It's where I got my Muramasa Wii copy for I think $20, Hotel Dusk for $12, and Mega Man ZX Advent for $20. The year I bought Advent, though, they also had a CIB of Star Force 3 for $20, which I thought about buying but ultimately didn't...nowadays the CIB is anywhere in the $70-120 range (part of that is COVID inflation, but also Capcom has not rereleased the game yet, and demand for it was already on the rise before COVID). The copy you're seeing is one I bought off of EBay last year for $50, kinda felt bad at the time but at least I own it now.
  • Infinite Space was from someone I knew, I was pretty shocked that I could get it for $40 considering it's more of a $50-65 game right now

1. What are the rarest and/or most interesting games you own?
To cover the honorable mentions, I have an Earthbound cart that I'm fairly sure is real, haven't checked the board but the cart/stickers seem authentic. Also have CIB Pokewalker HGSS in good shape, and as mentioned above Starforce 3 is fairly pricey these days.

But one game sticks out like a sore thumb in my still modest collection
1609116384849.png

Yes, that is indeed the fabled cardboard box.

Whenever I feel bad about not owning certain games and their prices, I have to remind myself that 6 year old me somehow found out about this game on the Pokemon website, convinced his mom to buy it for him online for $20, and that the cardboard box somehow survived moving 2 houses. Granted, the outer box is in rough shape, but god damn it feels weird knowing that I own this and that it's such a rare enough product that I'm not entirely sure how much it could sell for.

4. Any hot collector takes or tips to share?
Don't collect Saturn games, that system is WAYYYYYYY too expensive to collect for. While COVID is causing inflation, it's still insane that the CIB for almost every good game on the system (Panzer Dragoon Saga, Saturn Bomberman, Burning Rangers, Mega Man 8, Magic Knight Rayearth, Albert Odyssey, Guardian Heroes, Die Hard Arcade, Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garegga, Bulk Slash, Street Fighter Alpha 3...point is I'm not exaggerating lol) goes for $100+. Emulating the Saturn is admittedly a pain, so buy a console but burn discs to play the games you're interested in, or buy repros. Emulating and using flashcarts in general is great, just because I like collecting games doesn't mean I don't also like using that stuff if I need to.

In terms of an actually useful tip though, you need to learn to be patient and camp out on EBay. The problem with DS collecting is that a lot of games are just really difficult to find, it's not like SNES collecting where you can just boot up EBay and find a reasonably priced Final Fantasy VI or even Lufia II cart without much trouble, you really need to wait around to find stuff like Time Hollow for reasonable prices (or for an example of a game currently giving me a lot of trouble, Draglade).

Also I still haven't figured out a good way to get internationally released games. Go Go Cosmo Cops is a very cheap game that was PAL-only, but it's uncommon enough that I haven't found it available without seeing a stupidly high international shipping price .-.

5. Any weird stories?
Oh yeah when I was 11 and getting into Mega Man I bought a fake Mega Man Zero 3 cart from Gamestop, a really obvious one too

My Fake:
1609116357406.png

Real Copy:
1609116294271.png

Here's the thing though, I never actually finished it (on that cart at least) since the game wouldn't less access the last few stages for some reason, so we might have inadvertently discovered MMZ3's anti-piracy measures? It's not documented at all online, though some DS Mega Man games have anti-piracy, so I dunno, maybe I'll look into it someday.

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Now that I no longer have school bills to pay, I've been trying to get into collecting CIB DS games; it's probably my favorite console and there are a looooot of hidden gems or otherwise "interesting" games for the system, and it's not that expensive to collect for...at least not yet, and I'm not looking for a full set just the good games (I'm not buying Shepard's Crossing 2 lol, but I hope to get Solatorobo at some point). Unfortunately, because COVID is a thing right now most game prices are higher than they should be, so I've avoided buying games whose price got inflated
The DS is an interesting one. Nice to see you have Infinite Space, I owned it once myself. If I recall correctly, it's one of the first games made by Platinum. If you're interested in rare DS games, shoot for Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem. It's surprisingly rare and has been shooting up in price since before COVID-19.

Don't collect Saturn games, that system is WAYYYYYYY too expensive to collect for. While COVID is causing inflation, it's still insane that the CIB for almost every good game on the system (Panzer Dragoon Saga, Saturn Bomberman, Burning Rangers, Mega Man 8, Magic Knight Rayearth, Albert Odyssey, Guardian Heroes, Die Hard Arcade, Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garegga, Bulk Slash, Street Fighter Alpha 3...point is I'm not exaggerating lol) goes for $100+. Emulating the Saturn is admittedly a pain, so buy a console but burn discs to play the games you're interested in, or buy repros. Emulating and using flashcarts in general is great, just because I like collecting games doesn't mean I don't also like using that stuff if I need to.
The Sega Saturn is essentially another GameCube scenario. Every game costs a kidney or two because the console was a failure while still getting IPs released on it. I'd say "at least it isn't a NeoGeo" but that thing is the Rolls Royce of gaming...so it isn't a fair comparison.
Regardless, it's fucking obnoxious to get anything on that console...but I wanna play Panzer Dragoon Zwei properly. Sad times. :psycry:

Also I still haven't figured out a good way to get internationally released games. Go Go Cosmo Cops is a very cheap game that was PAL-only, but it's uncommon enough that I haven't found it available without seeing a stupidly high international shipping price .-.
In my experience in the UK, shipping prices from the US are often ~$11, roughly the same for Japan. I'm not sure if it's some US tariffs or something (it probably is) but are you sure it isn't the seller overcharging postage on purpose for profit? It's surprisingly common. It may be worth messaging the seller about it, get an explanation and try negotiating a better postage price.

Here's the thing though, I never actually finished it (on that cart at least) since the game wouldn't less access the last few stages for some reason, so we might have inadvertently discovered MMZ3's anti-piracy measures? It's not documented at all online, though some DS Mega Man games have anti-piracy, so I dunno, maybe I'll look into it someday.
Definitely worth checking out. Could be worth extracting the ROM and poking around; usually, anti-piracy checks look at the ROM header.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
20210102_225139.jpg

I'm aware some insanely rich and insane people collect sealed copies of games, and I own two really odd ones. Sega Superstars, and some GBA Poker game. I don't know if anyone remembers the EyeToy these days, but Sega Superstars is the "best" one. Can you believe there were like, 10 million EyeToy sales? We bought this?

I don't know whether I'm embarrassed to own this or not, the EyeToy is...not very good, even this game is painfully mid going off my unsealed one. Dated at best, shovelware at worst. Apparently only 8 EyeToy games came out in NA, but in the UK it was insanely popular for a hot minute then everyone realized it sucks and moved on to the Wii.

This doesn't apparently sell for more than £15, despite being sealed and all that. Really odd thing.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.

So Heritage Auctions and Wata Games are finally getting assblasted for their suspicious behaviour that you may have seen as of late. I really hate this whole debacle as it spreads a lot of harmful stereotypes about collectors; that they don't play their games, don't contribute anything, etc. This level of market manipulation is beyond the pale.

Candy Corn

Banned deucer.
  • What are the rarest and/or most interesting games you own?

I own a couple of valuable CIBs. My collection is rather modest and I kind of collect sporadically for whatever I'm into at the time. The most valuable games I have are Revelations: Persona, Tales of Destiny 1 and 2, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, The Pokemon Colosseum Jirachi event case/disc, Blue Reflections and Crystar. I also own some interesting consoles. I own one of the limited edition Astro Boy Gameboy Lights, the Mountain Dew Xbox, a Genesis Nomad, a Tales of Xillia PS3, and the Days of Play PS4.

• Any "abused" games you've recoiled in horror at while browsing stores?

I haven't seen anything too bad at stores, but when browsing the internet looking for an affordable NA Pokemon Box like the one shown above, I saw someone trying to sell the disc alone for 300 dollars. Exception? They snapped the disc in half. I was mortified when I saw it and saw the price they were trying to get away with.

• Any tips?

Biggest tip I can give when it comes to collecting is be patient, and when everyone is going left, go right. You may want to collect for the console that was most nostalgic for you growing up, but if you're anywhere in your early 20s to late 30s, you probably grew up with the 6th generation of consoles. Right now those are the hot ticket things because we all want to relive our childhood. A while back it was that way with N64, PS1. Go and collect for the old stuff right now. They're not as hot and you can find lots of stuff for incredibly cheap. There will always be those exception games, but you can easily walk into a store and pick up tons of NES cartridges for a few bucks. I've been seeing this for consoles as late as the PS1. The bubble surrounding the 6th generation will eventually pop, and the value of those things will drop a bit. That will be the time to buy. Also, while the PS5 and new Xbox are still hardly around, it's still possible to find 7th generation games in stores for super cheap. Always go buying games for a console that is about to be pushed out of retail stores because once those games are solely sold by the public then prices will see an increase.

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh hey this thread's back! Posted this in the VG thread months ago, but I finally managed to scoop up a CIB copy of Contact after trying to get it for a good long while :)

1630778895833.png

Good timing too, I paid about $35 for a Buy it Now, and then a few days afterwards, The Great Price Spike of Spring 2021 happened and now the game's sitting at like $90 o3o. A bit unfortunate that the game isn't actually as great as I hoped, but I'm glad it's in my collection (it's definitely "interesting"...but I hesitate to call it "good", at least from the couple hours I've played)

So what are y'all hunting for at the moment? Unfortunately the price spike is still in effect, but since Pokemon prices also spiked earlier this year and are now back to their 2020 prices, I'm hoping for something similar to happen October/November, especially with COVID getting far more under control. Mostly looking for Astro Boy Omega Factor since it didn't get hit that badly by the price spike. For another GBA Treasure game, I'd also love to find a copy of Tiny Toon Scary Dreams, an absurdly rare game that is surprisingly not that expensive, so it'll be fun to hunt for. Still on the lookout as always for random GBA/DS/Wii stuff (Retro Game Challenge, Shadow Dragon, the Dept. Heaven games, Draglade, etc etc), whatever 3DS Atlus games I can find, and some of Treasure's other 6th and 7th gen games.

Candy Corn

Banned deucer.
Oh hey this thread's back! Posted this in the VG thread months ago, but I finally managed to scoop up a CIB copy of Contact after trying to get it for a good long while :)

Good timing too, I paid about $35 for a Buy it Now, and then a few days afterwards, The Great Price Spike of Spring 2021 happened and now the game's sitting at like $90 o3o. A bit unfortunate that the game isn't actually as great as I hoped, but I'm glad it's in my collection (it's definitely "interesting"...but I hesitate to call it "good", at least from the couple hours I've played)

So what are y'all hunting for at the moment? Unfortunately the price spike is still in effect, but since Pokemon prices also spiked earlier this year and are now back to their 2020 prices, I'm hoping for something similar to happen October/November, especially with COVID getting far more under control. Mostly looking for Astro Boy Omega Factor since it didn't get hit that badly by the price spike. For another GBA Treasure game, I'd also love to find a copy of Tiny Toon Scary Dreams, an absurdly rare game that is surprisingly not that expensive, so it'll be fun to hunt for. Still on the lookout as always for random GBA/DS/Wii stuff (Retro Game Challenge, Shadow Dragon, the Dept. Heaven games, Draglade, etc etc), whatever 3DS Atlus games I can find, and some of Treasure's other 6th and 7th gen games.
That looks super cool! Atlus games are always a fun thing to have a collection of as they don't typically publish a ton of North American copies of their games. I know of a ton of different stuff that I would personally like to get, but I haven't been looking for anything in particular lately. Well, besides a decent priced Pokemon Box set. It's not worth the 1,000 dollar price point I see it going for. The ds has quite a few games I'd like to get my hands on. Contact is something I've never heard of, and now want lol One thing I really want that I think will be impossible to find is a copy of Persona 2: Innocent Sin that has an English patch on it. The PSP port ruins it with the change in music. I think Persona 3-5 have amazing soundtracks, but 1-2 are a lot more like traditional SMT games and I think the grittier soundtracks fit better.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
So what are y'all hunting for at the moment? Unfortunately the price spike is still in effect, but
I've recently been buying up PSP, Vita, and Sega (Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn) games in particular. I've always had them kicking around but never amassed any significant collection, so I may as well get more reason to, well, use em...

In respect to the PSP, I've started by getting the Monster Hunter games, as well as physical versions of Patapon 1-2 and the first two games in the No Heroes Allowed series. I had the latter bunch on download in the past, but the Memory Stick with them on it is notoriously unstable and having the physical versions to put up somewhere feels nice. I'll probably look into getting some "must haves" and smalls soon too. Oh, and I copped Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max from a family member a few weeks ago, which is a SUPER good port for a portable, oh my god.

The Saturn is an interesting console out of that bunch, as it has some amazing fighting game ports on it if you have a Japanese console or simply bypass the region lock, it's pretty easy. Stuff like Fatal Fury 3, Darkstalkers Night Warriors, KoF titles, etc are all of really good quality and run like a dream. The Sonic Jam ports are quite good too, I guess.

I'll probably post some more about my adventures soon™, it's been really fun. Current target is a reasonably priced Patapon 3 to substitute for my digital copy...

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
After COVID broke out I started collecting for my GBA, and it's been pretty fun. It was my first console I ever owned, I still have it, and it has a lot of quality games on it that still hold up. I don't have that much money so I'm never going to have the biggest collection, but I do have most of the games that I really want.

1630870756254.png

This is everything I own so far. Most of these are cart only but I do have the manual for Tetris. The only games I had before I started collecting are Donkey Kong 94, SMB3, Pokemon Yellow, and a Pokemon Gold cart that one of my friends is currently holding onto to replace the battery for, with that Yellow cartridge being the first game I ever owned. Mega Man Zero 3 is by far my favorite game I own for the console and is easily one of my favorite games of all time, the absolute peak of an already super good series.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Loose carts remind me of an Etsy shop that makes reproduction boxes for old games. They can be a cheaper and often times nicer looking alternative if you're looking for a box. They not only make the North American version of boxes but also the PAL versions. Definitely check em out!

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/BestBoxOnline?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=727829230
I know of a similar one! Here in the UK there's a shop called GoBoxIt that does basically everything you could ask for. I very much recommend them as they're somewhat inexpensive and the quality is fantastic. It's hard to tell the difference between reproduction and original sometimes!

I've been buying from GoBoxIt for around a year now, trying to get all my cartridge-only games into boxes for the sake of protecting them from the elements. It's also much easier to organise and display boxed games, obviously. I've put most "uses cardboard box" console collecting on hold until I sort all this out, in my opinion it's good practice from a preservation standpoint to try and get some kind of protector for these types of games, and repro boxes are among the best. I strongly recommend for any collector to look into repro boxes, it's just really nice.

Here are some boxes I got for my Game Boy Pokemon games a while back, all of very good quality. Look, they even fit with my original boxed Pokemon Snap!!

Here's a comparison between my Blue JP box and my original boxed Gold JP, as well as my Crystal version with my manual finally having a home to go to!

Candy Corn

Banned deucer.
I may be a little too late at the time of writing this, but I'm going to share anyway. Songbird is having preorders for homebrew Atari Lynx games! The cool thing is these are physical releases that would fit right in with any standard physical release. The one I purchased is Wyvern Tales which is greatly inspired by old Final Fantasy games. The other game is Sky Raider which is a homage to the game River Raid on the original Atari 2600. These typically don't last long because limited copies are made, and even if you don't own an Atari Lynx it may be a good idea to pick these up if you intend to collect for it in the future!

https://songbird-productions.com/

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
The PSP stuff has all arrived by this point and I've finally found a place to put it all while I'm at it...it's not gigantic, but it has the good shit™

Unfortunately some of these cases don't have covers. Anyone know a good place to get good ones printed?
IMG20210911034609.jpg

I have a strange urge to buy up UMD videos as they're actually pretty cheap and unique pieces of history. You can get like 10 for a few quid around these parts. Still need that physical Patapon 3 but I'm not out to sell a kidney for anything other than a boxed copy of Fire Emblem Sacred Stones right now. I've been saving up for that perfect opportunity for a while...

This also gives me the opportunity to show my admittedly overcrowded Corpse Party shelf, which has games that aren't on that bookshelf.
IMG20210911034816.jpg

This also reminded me that I accidentally bought two copies of Corpse Party 2U. Certainly an odd thing to have two of, that's for sure. I have to say, the cover art on those games is just fantastic, and the PSP games are very inexpensive, like £5 each or something at most. Not sure why the Everafter Edition of Blood Drive gained so much stonks in recent years but boy, am I glad I preordered it when it was revealed...condition isn't the finest, though.

Candy Corn

Banned deucer.
The PSP stuff has all arrived by this point and I've finally found a place to put it all while I'm at it...it's not gigantic, but it has the good shit™

Unfortunately some of these cases don't have covers. Anyone know a good place to get good ones printed?
View attachment 371300
I have a strange urge to buy up UMD videos as they're actually pretty cheap and unique pieces of history. You can get like 10 for a few quid around these parts. Still need that physical Patapon 3 but I'm not out to sell a kidney for anything other than a boxed copy of Fire Emblem Sacred Stones right now. I've been saving up for that perfect opportunity for a while...

This also gives me the opportunity to show my admittedly overcrowded Corpse Party shelf, which has games that aren't on that bookshelf.
View attachment 371301

This also reminded me that I accidentally bought two copies of Corpse Party 2U. Certainly an odd thing to have two of, that's for sure. I have to say, the cover art on those games is just fantastic, and the PSP games are very inexpensive, like £5 each or something at most. Not sure why the Everafter Edition of Blood Drive gained so much stonks in recent years but boy, am I glad I preordered it when it was revealed...condition isn't the finest, though.
I wouldn't know where to buy cover art. I don't think I've ever had that issue before. UMD videos are actually a pretty cool thing to collect for. Because they're so inexpensive I suggest doing it. Never know when they might randomly jump up in value.

I think it's funny how you ended up with two of that game. I have ended up with multiple copies of things through buying bundles, but lots of the time it's because I forgot that I owned something lol Whenever I end up with an extra I just give it away. I don't know why but to me it feels so wrong to sell the things I'm so passionate about collecting lol

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
IMG20210922184721.jpg

This little oddball came in the mail today, one of the stranger games on the Virtual Boy. I've heard it's one of the highly sought after games that often fetches eye watering prices but mine cost £80 from some online Japanese store. Maybe it's just your typical price gouging by Americans. Still pretty damn expensive though, don't get me wrong.

Anyway, you basically go around these dungeons in a sort of 2D Zelda but not really style and fight bosses, standard stuff I guess? You get to play as Jack Frost though so it's all worth it.

Candy Corn

Banned deucer.
View attachment 373677
This little oddball came in the mail today, one of the stranger games on the Virtual Boy. I've heard it's one of the highly sought after games that often fetches eye watering prices but mine cost £80 from some online Japanese store. Maybe it's just your typical price gouging by Americans. Still pretty damn expensive though, don't get me wrong.

Anyway, you basically go around these dungeons in a sort of 2D Zelda but not really style and fight bosses, standard stuff I guess? You get to play as Jack Frost though so it's all worth it.
YESSSS That game is super cool! The reason it only cost you that much is because it is Japanese. A lot of older games published by Atlus didn't get many North American copies so they tend to be worth a lot more. You can see the same thing with the original persona games. Still very cool that you have it though!

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
Well my collection isn't that big but I found this thread and said, why not?

First, I'll go with the console I still use nowadays. I totally regret buying games online instead of going to the shop and having them phisically. These were the first ones I bought / was gifted. For anyone interested, some good games I've bought online are R6, Overwatch, Rocket League, GTA V, BattleField IV and Hardline, CoD BO3, Destiny 2, ARK and those from the PS Plus like Friday the 13th.

About the Wii, I rlly had a lot of games whose original boxes are somewhere lost in the universe, although I would end up playing the same games like Wii Party, Mario Party / Kart / Bros / Galaxy 1 and 2, Wii Sports and Resort, and FIFAs (yeah I used to buy them each year, I know I am stupid but I was a kid)

And here, my most appreaciated game by far, Pokémon Pearl.

When the mess at home ends, I will post about my father's PC games collection, which is colossal.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
About the Wii, I rlly had a lot of games whose original boxes are somewhere lost in the universe, although I would end up playing the same games like Wii Party, Mario Party / Kart / Bros / Galaxy 1 and 2, Wii Sports and Resort, and FIFAs (yeah I used to buy them each year, I know I am stupid but I was a kid)
I would strongly suggest looking into replacement cases for those Wii games! You can get them for pretty cheap on eBay and it means you've got less chance of them getting scratched and the like. Disc only games tend to get ridiculously damaged very quickly and we wouldn't want that!

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
View attachment 373677

Ooh nice pickup, had no idea the Japanese version was that cheap though considering the American version has been in the triple digit range for ages. What shop did you use if you don't mind me asking?

Am usually not a fan of getting Japanese versions over US version since if I care enough about an old game to want it physically, I'd rather have the US version of it (even ignoring that, some games like Astro Boy Omega Factor have superior international versions to their JP versions ;-;). But honestly, if there are other games like that that are wayyyy cheaper in Japan that I don't care enough about owning an English copy for, I might consider it lol (am now finding out the Game Boy Mega Man games are way cheaper in Japan)

Also to be fair, I'm pretty sure NTSC-U Jack Bros is still cheaper than Virtual Bowling or that Gundam game

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
What shop did you use if you don't mind me asking?
Genki Video Games, a neat site that sells imports.

But honestly, if there are other games like that that are wayyyy cheaper in Japan that I don't care enough about owning an English copy for, I might consider it lol
TONS of games are generally cheaper in or from Japan, especially if you look on Yahoo Auctions. It's most noticeable with Nintendo or Atlus products!

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Well, it took me about 5 years, but I now own every mainline Fire Emblem title.

Out of every Fire Emblem game, it wasn't the Tellius games or New Mystery that eluded me the most...it was Sacred Stones.

Contrary to popular belief, this game is actually one of the rarest games in the series, and like the GBA Pokemon games, the market is marred by fakes. Those £7-12 cart only ones you've probably seen and got duped by? Definitely fake, open it up and the save battery that it shouldn't have will reveal itself. It should cost you at least £40 for the genuine article unboxed. Those fakes have actually ended up depleting the value of the game itself because there are far more of them than originals, thus misrepresenting how much it costs. The only way you can really be 100% certain that you're not getting duped is to buy a boxed copy. I got pretty lucky with this one, costing ~£130 from an Italian guy. It's in astonishingly good condition, featuring a mint condition manual and near-untouched cartridge. Not even any sun damage.

Here's my collection on display in a rather cumbersome manner. Unfortunately, the above shelf fell down for some reason, so I'm gonna have to get that fixed. I wanted to display the older games above so the plastic box games didn't look so cramped...as one would imagine, displaying like 15 game boxes is a bloody nightmare!

It should be noted that the SNES and GBA boxes other than Sacred Stones are reproductions made to house my cart only games while displaying them nicely. As usual, they're from GoBoxIt, which has been my eternal saviour for that type of thing.

This took an enormous amount of saving up to accumulate and I'm very happy it turned out that way. I suppose I could try to get Fates Birthright to be exhaustive, but at that point I think I'd go all the way and try to get that limited edition big box thing and subsequently cry at my shelf sizes. It's definitely something to consider, but then I realise that the price packs a punch of its own and I may as well buy a NeoGeo or even a boxed Virtual Boy instead with that kind of money. I'm a collector, not a psychopath!

If anyone is curious about how I came across each game and the ballpark value, by all means ask. The years this has taken off my life has to be used for something, eh?

Last edited:
That's cool. I don't have the NES ones but I do have everything else. Got real lucky with a Path of Radiance in like '08 at a GameStop for $25. The biggest spend for me was the ROM version of Thracia which I got recently. Until now I'd been happy to speedrun on the Nintendo Power version (essentially an official flash cart), but I'm starting to pick up SSS rank speedrunning so I might as well have a cart that actually displays the SSS rank. Can't find that for under a hundred bucks though, unboxed.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
That's cool. I don't have the NES ones but I do have everything else. Got real lucky with a Path of Radiance in like '08 at a GameStop for $25. The biggest spend for me was the ROM version of Thracia which I got recently. Until now I'd been happy to speedrun on the Nintendo Power version (essentially an official flash cart), but I'm starting to pick up SSS rank speedrunning so I might as well have a cart that actually displays the SSS rank. Can't find that for under a hundred bucks though, unboxed.
I have the Nintendo Power cartridge version myself, the "proper" version is a royal pain to get hold of. It's better than searching for the deluxe pack though, may as well get a used car or something with the money needed to get that. Best of luck!

The Famicom games were surprisingly cheap to get hold of, £20 each despite being boxed with manual. I suppose it isn't that shocking with how popular they were at the time, though.

Candy Corn

Banned deucer.
Are most fire emblem games super expensive? I only own Path of Radiance, and judging from all the previous posts, it seems that most fire emblem games that came before it are even more costly. What is this "Nintendo Power and proper version?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)