SM OU Fruit of the Loom

I wanted to try out the specially defensive Breloom set that's been floating around. I have to say it does it's job very well. However, I'm not sure if the team I have built for it is at its full potential.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 176 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Focus Punch
- Leech Seed
- Spore
- Substitute
Breloom is what the team is built around. It is made to annoy the opponent with spore and leech sub. The EVs help it switch in on Greninja without ice beam and generally be as bulky as possible to ensure subs and spores. It is also a great pivot into Keldeo and Rotom-Wash if Breloom is already poisoned. It also comes in on Toxapex who otherwise would annoy the team with scald burns and toxic.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
Mega Gyarados is the late game sweeper of the team. I chose to go with waterfall over substitute or taunt as I felt I benefited more from the extra coverage. Mega Gyarados has good type synergy with Breloom and forms a dark/psychic/fighting core along with Reuniclus, so it naturally fell into place when building the team.

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Defog
Tornadus-Therian is the defensive pivot of the team. Torn is the main answer to Kartana. He is also a nice pivot for other physical attackers such as Medicham and Bulu. Taunt and knock off help with pesky walls such as Fini, Pelipper, Jirachi, and Celesteela. Torn is also of course my hazard remover.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 Atk / 68 Def / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Landorus-Therian is the speed control of the team. The team is very slow otherwise, so scarf Lando is an important member for revenge killing. He is also my main answer to opposing Landori and Garchomp. Explosion is to help break through Fini, who is a big threat to the team. It is also for Hawluchas, who this team is also pretty weak to.

Reuniclus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Future Sight
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
Reuniclus is the offensive sponge of the team. His job is to eat hits and hit hard back. Specs future sight hits like a truck and can be good at forcing kills. Reuniclus also lives shadow ball from mega Alakazam who is a huge threat to the team and KOs back with its own shadow ball. While Reuniclus looks like a great addition to the team on paper, I have found through my battles that it pretty consistently puts in the least work on the team. Perhaps I don't play aggressive enough with it, but I'm not sure if it's worth keeping on the team.

Heatran @ Steelium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
Heatran is the rocker and Z user of the team. Steelium Z is mainly to help chip Fini. It's also a great lure for Garchomps. Heatran also supports Reuniclus and Gyarados by helping eliminate steel types that would otherwise wall them. Heatran is also my main switch into fairies as he is the only resist on the team. He of course is also my hazard setter.

The team is very weak to fairies, which is something I hope to have remedied. It also feels like it doesn't have switch ins to a lot of hard hitters, or certain members are too pressured each game to constantly switch in. All feed back on how to improve the team is greatly appreciated.

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Just want to say that although your team is nicely crafted, Breloom is simply unviable in OU as there is such a thing as Kartana. Not saying that Breloom is bad, let’s just say that there is a better alternative.

And a tip:
Reniculus having Future Sight looks nice on paper. On paper. That fact that Future Sight only hits one turn after being used makes Future Sight not too useful. Try Psychic.

Last edited:
Just want to say that although your team is nicely crafted, Breloom is simply unviable in OU as there is such a thing as Kartana. Not saying that Breloom is bad, let’s just say that there is a better alternative.
But Kartana can't spore or play a more defensive role like this set can. This set can switch in on things and stall things like Greninja and Toxapex that Kartana simply can't.

737373elj

Banned deucer.
But Kartana can't spore or play a more defensive role like this set can. This set can switch in on things and stall things like Greninja and Toxapex that Kartana simply can't.
Although it is true that Kartana can’t play defensive, it can secure needed KOes on stuff like Greninja. Kartana also has a higher defense by the way.
Also, I’m not trying to say that Breloom is worse than Kartana, I’m just expressing my own views. Hopefully I wasn’t giving the impression of being very experienced.

Edit: Kartana can even kill Toxapex after a +2.

You know, couldn't all this talk of Kartana being superior offensively be solved by running life orb SD breloom?
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 327-390 (107.5 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
Mach punch obviously takes care of Gren as well.

Banette's Danette (alt)

Banned deucer.
You know, couldn't all this talk of Kartana being superior offensively be solved by running life orb SD breloom?
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 327-390 (107.5 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
Mach punch obviously takes care of Gren as well.
Honestly, i think that SD Breloom is totally inferior to SD Kart outside of like revenging ash, Kart can actually do something vs zapdos / tangrowth / whatever other things, Breloom is better off with spore.

Honestly, i think that SD Breloom is totally inferior to SD Kart outside of like revenging ash, Kart can actually do something vs zapdos / tangrowth / whatever other things, Breloom is better off with spore.
Yeah that's fair, I guess being bulky enough to hard counter instead of just offensively check standard ash gren is the main appeal of breloom with Kartana existing, huh?

Do you have a way to deal with stall on this team? I'm not seeing what prevents Mega Sableye from switching in and burning/walling your entire team. In light of this, maybe swap out Flash Cannon on Heatran for Taunt and running a mon like Clefable instead of Reuniclus? Just some thoughts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)