From-a-Movie Music

Agammemnon

A wild Zubat appears!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Seeing the success this thread, it sounded mandatory to have a movie's music thread here.

The main goal is to contribute so everyone discovers new things.
The best you can do, instead of blindly bashing mildly cool songs, is to explain why you love them, I think. Or just bash, whatever.

Let me go straight into it:

Lux Aeterna - Clint Mansell, from the movie Requiem for a Dream.
A truly deep song, taken from a movie about drugs. The movie is absolutely wonderful in itself, and the song is just astonishing.

In A Heartbeat - From the movie 28 Days Later.
This song gives me shivers. It makes me think there is no future, no way out. It's taken from an Apocalyptic movie (One of the best Zombie movies ever, if you want my opinion) directed by Dannie Boyle.

The Little Things - Danny Elfman
A pretty cool song. It won't be reminded in 50 years like Lux Aeterna might be, but it's still cool to listen to ! From the movie Wanted!

Also, a bunch of songs from the Lord of the Rings. If you've seen those movies, you WILL recognize the songs, for sure :
A Storm is Coming
Foundations of Stone
Minas Morgul
The Treason of Isengard

Contribooting.

Yeah, Zurich brings up Joe Hisaishi who is amazing and does a lot (all?) of the Studio Ghibli film's soundtracks. I really love One Summer's Day from Spirited Away. No one does it better than Joe Hisaishi.

Obvious shoutouts to John Williams, Hans Zimmer, and specifically Ecstasy of Gold from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Lux Aeterna - Clint Mansell, from the movie Requiem for a Dream.
A truly deep song, taken from a movie about drugs. The movie is absolutely wonderful in itself, and the song is just astonishing.
Holy shit, I can't even listen to this song anymore, it just makes me want to burst into tears and sob uncontrollably. Such an affecting movie/score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DoyxLJqR4k
Also, a bunch of songs from the Lord of the Rings.
Might be my favorite:
Isengard Unleashed

Simply for this little movement I linked. When I first saw it in theaters and Treebeard began talking about their possible impending doom and said "Last... march... of the Ents..." and then that soloist comes in right at the 3:00 mark... jesus, I was so misty-eyed, it was so stirring.

My favorite movie of all time is Glory, so I'd be remiss if I didn't share some of James Horner's magic (the fact that his only Oscar is for "My Heart Will Go On" is a fucking travesty beyond words):

Burning the Town of Darien - no one in the business writes period music better than Horner (he's on par with Williams in this regard), and he is the master of percussion
The Year of Jubilee - see what I mean?
Charging Fort Wagner - the very end of the movie, the first movie that ever made me cry. When I first got this album on cassette tape as a birthday present, I cried just from LISTENING to this song.

Fuck, now I really want to watch this movie.

Beck - Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime - From Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Just perfect for the film, which happens to be perfect as well.

As for others from the same movie: Jon Brion's score is hauntingly beautiful.
Phone Call
Row
Spotless Mind
Peer Pressure

And seriously, as good as those are, those aren't even the movie versions which are WAY better.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
too lazy to collect links lawlz

as you can probably tell by my signature, "moon river" from breakfast at tiffany's is pretty much my absolute favorite piece of cinematic music. its soooo evocative and just so pretty sounding. even though audrey hepburn's singing voice is quite weak, she manages to rock it on the song, and its just such a wonderful and beautiful piece of music. can't-miss movie, can't-miss song.

all miyazaki movies have fantastic music. i'm pretty much the world's biggest miyazaki fan (own all his movies on blu ray, seen them all like nine thousand times), all the films are so wonderful and have such great music -- well, everything about them is great. i especially love the music from spirited away and howl's moving castle. however, my favorite piece of music from any miyazaki film is "path of the wind" from my neighbor totoro. such a beautiful, evocative piece of music, just listening to it gives me goosebumps. worth watching the film just for the song!

no specific examples stick out in my mind, but all the music from the lord of the rings trilogy -- particularly the third movie -- is great. just such a wonderful, powerful score, and each song is a perfect fit for whatever scene it's in. the soundtrack really adds to the film and gives it that final touch of epic grandeur.

i looove the song "beauty and the beast" from....well....beauty and the beast. its just so pretty, angela landsbury has such a wonderful voice, and the music itself is just breathtaking. and the fact that it plays during the movies' best part, the stunning ballroom scene...SWOON i absolutely love it. fuck the haters, beauty and the beast is a gorgeous film, and this song captures its whole essence perfectly.

none of the songs are specifically "movie music", but i lalalalalove the juno soundtrack. absolutely one of the best soundtracks in ages, possibly of all time. totally fits the movies' hilariously quirky vibe.

yeah i know its mainstream as hell, but i love "my heart will go on" from the movie titanic. perfectly captures the essence of the film, and i just melt every time in the final scene where jack and rose meet in the afterlife and the song is playing in the background...suucchh a poignant piece of music, definitely the best thing that james horner has every worked on.

finally, i really like the song "listen" from the movie dreamgirls. beyonce may not have the strongest voice out there, but she really does her thang on this track, belting out notes like the best of them. its just a really good song, and comes with a powerful performance and message to boot.

(gee i love movies so much, i need a life)

one standout in recent memory is the completely unexpected use of the other side of mt heart attack in 50/50. nothing in the film struck me as especially touching or emotive until this scene, at which point i promptly sobbed like a gay baby. i've been listening to drum's not dead like it's 2006 all over again.

spoilers probably you bimbo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG6BWddCJ4k

oh also i think the best use of any song in a film i can think of is roy orbison's crying at the end of the film gummo (weirdly enough a different version of the song is also in 50/50). i thought long and hard about it and i don't think i like gummo very much as a film, but it is tragic and urgent and uncomfortable and i guess that makes it better than most. also the scene where solomon eats in the tub is bar none the most uncomfortable and disgusting scene i have ever witnessed in anything ever, so thats a thing too. harmony korine is a total fuckhead though (but you should probably watch julien donkey-boy if you like 'independent cinema' as it is marvelous and wounded). but yeah, crying:

spoilers again i guess??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeA9NeDDc1M

anyway, i have no idea if this scene is as affective for for anyone who hasn't seen the whole film, but there's a scene where tummler and solomon are huffing glue and tummler speaks emptily but warmly of his transvestite brother who used to sing this song to him when he was younger, and it just makes this sequence so much more haunting (the song's apex juxtaposed with shots of the tornado still gets me)

if you click the link and don't really know what the fuck you're watching, don't worry, it's 'art' or something. gummo is a great movie to speak ardently about to girls who are into shit like this cause its entry-level enough for them to easily find 'good' clips of it on youtube

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't have a link atm but you have to give some shoutouts to Disney movies.

Go the Distance - Micheal Bolton

Part of the Hercules soundtrack, this is such a fucking awesome song, great lyrics, great instrumentals and a very solid build, Micheal Bolton's poweerful voice behind it just makes it amazing.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Needs more Dustin Hoffman.

I think a great song that would fit here is the song from Simon and Garfunkel - Sound of Silence which was in The Graduate Movie, it's very hippyish which is great? slightly wants to make me drown myself in a pool because it's quite depressing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)