ORAS OU Free Birds

Free Birds

Hey everyone, I figured I would show off a pretty basic team built around Mega Pidgeot today. Mega Pidgeot, despite being in BL, acts as a good late game cleaner and a half-decent U-Turn pivot. I'm pretty proud of the team; however, improvements can always be made.

The Team
Pidgeot-Mega

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

The centerpiece to this team: The Bird Jesus Himself. This monster of a bird is a good ground immunity, as well as a fantastic late game cleaner. STAB boosted Hurricane hits like a truck, even on all of Pidgeots switch-ins. U-Turn can be a good move to predict the Heatran or Magnezone switch in, and pivot into any of the other pokes that fit the situation.

Dugtrio

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Memento
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech

The revenge killer, the mole man himself. Or herself. We don't know, but I digress. Dugtrio is the trapper of the team, trapping Chansey, Bisharp, Heatran, and anything else significant that can halt Pidgeot. Just U-Turn into this thing with Jirachi or Pidgeot and, as long as they're grounded, something dies. Maybe some of you are wondering, "Why Screech?" Good question. Someone in the RMT Room (Can't recall his name) suggested it to be able to OHKO Chansey. Scenario: Switch into Chansey's Seismic Toss. 101 HP Left. Screech, take another Seismic Toss. 1HP Left. Reversal will OHKO Chansey 100% of the time.

252 Atk Dugtrio Reversal (200 BP) vs. -2 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 842-992 (131.1 - 154.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

and without Screech...
252 Atk Dugtrio Reversal (200 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 418-492 (65.1 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You can get killed by an Egg.

Jirachi

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

My prime Lati switch in. It was Scarf Jirachi when I wanted a more offensive team, but the advice I got suggested Sp Def with Rocks. U-Turn is obviously there to pivot and get the hell out of dodge if a Bisharp or Heatran come in, and into Dugtrio. Healing Wish is good if Dugtrio is statused or hasn't lost its sash.

Weavile

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

My physical set up sweeper. This Pokemon isn't going to switch into any hits for the most part, so the U-Turn support from Pidgeot and Jirachi as well as Rotom help get it out safely. This Pokemon does require the highest amount of prediction, however. Setting up a Swords Dance on the wrong turn can mean you lose your Torn counter and set up sweeper. This Pokemon is still a fantastic option on the team, if played correctly and cautiously. Like Pidgeot, this Pokemon does well late game when all of its checks and counters have been removed. Low Kick is a decent option over Swords Dance to catch Bisharp on switch-ins, but Knock and then switching is probably a better option since Weavile will take a huge hit to a random +2 Sucker Punch crit.

Latios

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Recover
- Draco Meteor

- Psyshock

The team's offensive Defogger and special nuke. Not much else to say about it besides Latios besides it appreciates the Volt-Turn support from Rotom and Pidgeot, but probably won't be switching into much besides ground moves. Life Orb Draco hits like a truck and can severely weaken Landorus, Rotom-W, and the like.

Rotom-Wash

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

The premier pivot of OU. Levitate to dodge Earthquakes, a good enough typing to check Keldeo, Talonflame, Landorus-T, and much much more. The 88 Speed helps Rotom outrun Jolly max Speed Crawdaunt and get the Will o Wisp of Volt Switch onto it. Thunder Wave is used as a good way to cripple Talon or anything that usually switches into a Will-o-Wisp. Overall, this thing is the best pivot on the team as it checks what all of the other pivots are weak to.

Threat List

Excadrill: namely, the Scarf Mold Breaker set. Doesn't mind any levitaters, and the team is very weak to ground without Levitate.

Bisharp: namely, the pursuit set. While checks exist to this monster on my team, pursuit trapping Lati or Jirachi is never fun. Additionally, a well played Sucker Punch can throw a wrench into Dugtrio's plan.

Charizard-Mega X: namely, the Dragon Dance set. Charizard X will always be a hazard to most teams. The problem with setting up speed, Dugtrio will not be able to outspeed this monster at +1. Unless Dugtrio is already out on this monster when it Dragon Dances, Zard will sweep the team.

I'm sure there are more, too. Please feel free to show me any threats you see to this team in the comments.

Importable:
http://pastebin.com/aQ0H1MpJ

Credit:
User in the RMT Room who's name escapes my memory. Thanks for helping me build the team fren :]

Artist of the Pidgeot up at the top. Great work fren :]

hi, this is a sweet team, and all in all it looks solid, with the majority of the bases covered with regards to birds, latis, waters, fairies etc. by your defensive backbone

slight fix here but if you were to run custap+endure dugtrio over sash it'd give you a means of trapping and revenge killing +1 zard-x and scarfdrill. zard-x requires minimal chip damage, which it will accrue undoubtedly in setting up. sash really isn't needed on this team in my opinion, nor is memento seeing as you have nothing to take advantage of it other than weavile, which is usually setting up on forced switches anyway, so you're not losing out on much and it greatly improves your matchup against the aforementioned threats, whilst retaining dugtrio's main role in trapping chansey, tyranitar and heatran on this team.

as for the weakness to bisharp, running a personal favourite of mine, fast rotom-w can mitigate this somewhat. the spread i'd propose is 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 Spe with a bold nature and a sitrus berry. the item choice in sitrus berry may seem odd, but as this is a relatively fast-paced team, the immediate recovery would be more valuable than the passive recovery. you can run lefties of course, though.

Dugtrio @ Custap Berry
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Endure
- Screech
- Reversal / Stone Edge

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

once again, sweet team. enjoy :]

Last edited:
Interesting team, i love Mega-Pidgeot, but i have some suggestions:
1st Stall Breaker > AoA Pidgeot, simple, AoA Pidgeot is outclassed by Tornadus-T, also your team hasn't the best match-up against stall, so running it is better.

2nd: Screech Dugtrio is very gimmick, it can get Chansey but it's useless overall, running the original set can is better

3rd: Skarmory > Jirachi, As your said, your team is 6-0 by Excadrill and can give you a better match-up against other Steels like Bisharp and Pursuit MMgross

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Refresh
- Work Up

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Memento
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

I would suggest changing m-pidgeot to tornadus-t offensive variant, m-pidge is outclassed by torn-t in everything but landing hurricanes; and pidgeot sacrifices the slight chance of a clutch dodge for that. torn-t is slightly more bulkier and has regenerator to restore HP on u-turns, superpower to hit heatran/magnezone, hurricane as aforementioned to do nice damage, heat wave to beat down ferro and scizor, etc. basically torn-t has way more versatility and longevity than m-pidgeot has while doing the exact same things.

i would recommend the offensive LO set as it does 60% on most heatran switch-ins and ~85% on most magnezones, and you can switch out after to say latios or sp.def jirachi and take a hit+kill in return. here is the spread:

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Superpower

now you dont have a mega, i would suggest mega gyarados to replace a pokemon but i am not so sure where to place it (i would say duggy but he blocks electric moves), mega gyara can take on m-charizard x but it has to come in the exact same time+run eq, and thats pretty gimmicky so you probably shouldn't do it but the idea is out there

as i was writing this happyhoopa posted some good suggestions so i would also suggest you heavily consider his suggestions as well.

hi, this is a sweet team, and all in all it looks solid, with the majority of the based covered with regards to birds, latis, waters, fairies etc. by your defensive backbone

slight fix here but if you were to run custap+endure dugtrio over sash it'd give you a means of trapping and revenge killing +1 zard-x and scarfdrill. zard-x requires minimal chip damage, which it will accrue undoubtedly in setting up. sash really isn't needed on this team in my opinion, nor is memento seeing as you have nothing to take advantage of it other than weavile, which is usually setting up on forced switches anyway, so you're not losing out on much and it greatly improves your matchup against the aforementioned threats, whilst retaining dugtrio's main role in trapping chansey, tyranitar and heatran on this team.

as for the weakness to bisharp, running a personal favourite of mine, fast rotom-w can mitigate this somewhat. the spread i'd propose is 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 Spe with a bold nature and a sitrus berry. the item choice in sitrus berry may seem odd, but as this is a relatively fast-paced team, the immediate recovery would be more valuable than the passive recovery. you can run lefties of course, though.

Dugtrio @ Custap Berry
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Endure
- Screech
- Reversal / Stone Edge

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

once again, sweet team. enjoy :]
Thank you for the recommendations and fixes :] I appreciate it. Will definitely make these changes!

Interesting team, i love Mega-Pidgeot, but i have some suggestions:
1st Stall Breaker > AoA Pidgeot, simple, AoA Pidgeot is outclassed by Tornadus-T, also your team hasn't the best match-up against stall, so running it is better.

2nd: Screech Dugtrio is very gimmick, it can get Chansey but it's useless overall, running the original set can is better

3rd: Skarmory > Jirachi, As your said, your team is 6-0 by Excadrill and can give you a better match-up against other Steels like Bisharp and Pursuit MMgross

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Refresh
- Work Up

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Memento
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Hey Hoopa, thanks for the recommendations :] however I just find AoA Pidgeot to be a better pivot as well as a late game cleaner. The StallBreaking set is just as good, but I do find pivoting into Dugtrio in on the Heatran or Chansey much more useful than trying to predict the aforementioned switch in.

As for Screech, I do agree that it is gimmicky. Dugtrio has a whole lot of options and I figured Screech would be good filler since Stone Edge isn't all that useful either. It's a moveslot that just cannot be filled, but I will try to play around the moves.

As for Skarm... Running both Defog and Spikes is slightly counter-intuitive. Plus Jirachi acts as a Lati switch in and a U-Turn pivot. Not to mention Skarm is another bird.

I do appreciate the fixes and would love to see the team run this way, but the way I have it, everything pivots into the dugtrio.

I would suggest changing m-pidgeot to tornadus-t offensive variant, m-pidge is outclassed by torn-t in everything but landing hurricanes; and pidgeot sacrifices the slight chance of a clutch dodge for that. torn-t is slightly more bulkier and has regenerator to restore HP on u-turns, superpower to hit heatran/magnezone, hurricane as aforementioned to do nice damage, heat wave to beat down ferro and scizor, etc. basically torn-t has way more versatility and longevity than m-pidgeot has while doing the exact same things.

i would recommend the offensive LO set as it does 60% on most heatran switch-ins and ~85% on most magnezones, and you can switch out after to say latios or sp.def jirachi and take a hit+kill in return. here is the spread:

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Superpower

now you dont have a mega, i would suggest mega gyarados to replace a pokemon but i am not so sure where to place it (i would say duggy but he blocks electric moves), mega gyara can take on m-charizard x but it has to come in the exact same time+run eq, and thats pretty gimmicky so you probably shouldn't do it but the idea is out there

as i was writing this happyhoopa posted some good suggestions so i would also suggest you heavily consider his suggestions as well.

I do recognize that Torn definitely outclasses Pidgeot. However, it is the centerpiece of the team, so it's just about irreplaceable. If there were a mega I could throw on otherwise, it could be soemthjng like Zard Y. I'm not sure. But I digress. I appreciate the recommendations but the teammates as a defensive core functions very well for me personally. It definitely isn't XTRA CH1RP$ Level, but works for me nonetheless

I do recognize that Torn definitely outclasses Pidgeot. However, it is the centerpiece of the team, so it's just about irreplaceable. If there were a mega I could throw on otherwise, it could be soemthjng like Zard Y. I'm not sure. But I digress. I appreciate the recommendations but the teammates as a defensive core functions very well for me personally. It definitely isn't XTRA CH1RP$ Level, but works for me nonetheless
yeah the suggestions worked in my head until I realized that you need a mega and couldn't replace something, my b

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)