For future creators of sim-client UIs

rory

T^T
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I recently stumbled across a new DP simulator that exists out there. It's called "pokemon-online" and I'd like to highlight some of the things it does that I really like, and some I don't like (all related to the UI).

Startup window - Not my favorite thing... Doesn't really seem necessary, I would much prefer if it brought you straight to the server list.

The teambuilder - Overall this left me feeling good about the program so far. The teambuilder operates very smoothly (no slowness). The slide-bars on EVs are really nice. As you type moves in the boxes, a dropdown suggests moves that match what you're typing (tab autocomplete would be nice). You can also double-click a move to put it in last selected box but it's not really clear which box the selected move will go into, unless you remember which was the last one you were typing in. Some checkboxes would be nice in the movelist. I'm not really a fan of having to press a button to go to "advanced options" but really the only option there that could be changed on a lot of pokemon is ability (or HP I guess...). Choosing a hidden power also shows you all IV configurations you could use. I really like the look of the pokemon tabs with the little icon in them. The teams were saved in XML but the format is worse than SB2's.

Everything else - The PMs open up as separate windows instead of tabs. Personally I like a "tree" (like xchat) but this should really be customizable to the user's preference. The buttons to select moves are great. They change color with whatever type the move is. Each status also has a different icon that shows up near the pokemon's name. Also the pokeballs that represent the team become tinted to show different statuses.
Large picture

Last picture - I felt this was necessary because it shows the awesome switch pokemon buttons.

So even though play-wise this simulator leaves much to be desired, it seems to have popped up out of nowhere with (from what I saw) mostly-correct mechanics and a great UI.

It looks very interesting. Looks sort of like a mix between NetBattle and Shoddy. I'm assuming this is a WIP because it doesn't have the extensive variety of options that Shoddy and NetBattle have. Can you send me a link to the game? I can't seem to find it.

This thing is indeed looking promising. GUI wise it blows shoddy out of the water (altough the battle messages need refining). Also it is actively being updated and I hope they get the mechanics in order in some time, as I'm getting the feeling i'm gonna like this over shoddy. It needs a ladder and more options, clauses and not stuff like "dont use secret pokes" to whihc they refer as jirachi or mew, as they apperently dont count towards tiering system we have here.

Nevertheless, this thing might have a future, and the fact its all coded in C++ makes it even more worthwhile.

It looks pretty interesting. The teambuilder is oh boy, very nice. Battle window too. I think that with few adjustments it can be the best simulator.

I just started on this today. It's the same sim that was linked to on the dead NBSupremacy page.

The community is MUCH smaller than Smogon's, with "peak hours" consisting of about 20 people. On the other hand, this also means that a large number of Smogon's standards are pretty much ignored -- the "Smogonity" of the people there ranged from "Yeah, I got sick of fighting the same ten Pokemon over and over" (me) to "What's a mixmence?" (real comment.)

That aside, it's also a much nicer community, and you get a cool way to play with Pokemon aside from the OU, UU, and Uber standards that I personally get really sick of. I think the lack of a ladder really takes out the "ZOMG MY LADDER SCORE'S GOING TO DIE IF I DON'T USE TYRANITAR/LATIAS/SCIZOR/ETC." factor.

The team builder is cool looking but has some significant glitches, missing moves, etc... It's VERY BETA right now though, an admin assured me, so that's to be expected.

And not to be redundant, but THAT GUI. GOD. IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL. And among my favorite things about it, by far, is that there seems to be less lag and every turn is distinctly split from other turns (a couple of line breaks and a blue message "Turn XX begins" and such.) Aside from that, attacks are color-coded to provide easy quick-selection in case you forgot for some reason, and when you can't use an attack it's actually blocked out (unlike in Shoddy where you'll just be like "Durr... Can I use Trick? *looks back in text* Damn, can't find it... *tries to use Trick* Dammit!") I also liked the status effect icons that let you see status without hovering over -- even better, hovering over DOES show you exactly how many stat boosts the enemy has (barring item boosts, of course, those are seeecret <3)

...One thing to be wary of, there's a lot of animosity towards Smogon amongst the battlers there. I don't really blame em, TBH, but... Yeah.

The community is MUCH smaller than Smogon's, with "peak hours" consisting of about 20 people.
The project is only open BETA. It's not even officially released yet. People are able to test it out, give feature suggestions, and report bugs.

...One thing to be wary of, there's a lot of animosity towards Smogon amongst the battlers there. I don't really blame em, TBH, but... Yeah.
I've been helping test it since closed Alpha. There is no animosity towards Smogon at all. You're thinking of NetBattle.

It's kind of a pleasant surprise to see a thread on the project. On the note of beta, Coyotte has been adding features rather quickly. It's by no means the final version, but I believe he's open to ideas.

Hello. Most of you might know me from NetBattle, some from even here as a new comer on Smogon. I'm one of the Simulators testers since it was being developed before the Beta release. I just wanted to let you guys know. Everything needed will be implemented through time. Coyotte (The Owner), Is currently working on the ladder. The ladder is being requested by many users, and he felt it's better to get that over with, And continue adding numerous of other things after.

He is taking "ANY SUGGESTIONS". And their is a big chance many of those Suggestions will be implemented. So if theirs anything you guys would wanna suggest, Feel free to do so ;). We're still trying to make the simulator, (Less naked). If you guys know what i mean. So the more good suggestions we take. The better the simulator will be.

I also wanna Thank Rory. For showing and telling on Smogon about the Simulator, Thanks Rory much appreciated.

I've been helping test it since closed Alpha. There is no animosity towards Smogon at all. You're thinking of NetBattle.
It does actually seem like I was wrong about that part. I posted that after having only talked to about 5 people.

Just letting you guys know. The Simulator was updated with the Ladder and the new Challenge window. If you guys wanna check it out, go head. Because we're trying to decide which Challenge window should we use and we're still testing the Ladder.

This is really cool. I think more people need to know about it, since I think they're updating mechanics at a very rapid rate and it's very appealing. I also need more people to battle on the server. x) [Plus, I'm in the screenie on the home page. ._.]

There have been interface improvements since these screenshots were posted, and there are more to come.

Sim was updated today with the "Ranking System", I'm pretty sure Eric the espeon told some of you about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)