Monotype Flight of the Phoenix

Introduction

So my Monotype Spring Seasonals run is finally over and I decided I'm going to RMT the team I've been known for predictably using in the past two months. I used this to qualify for Monotype Ladder Tour 2 with the highest GXE in the first cycle. I only reached #7 on the ladder, but that was partially due to my own fear of losing my MLT spot. This team showed up with a 9-3 record in seasonals. It was pretty obvious I was spamming this team, so I'm pretty happy with how it went. The team performs exceptionally well on both the ladder and in tour battles. The team name is a last tip of the hat to the Phoenix League, which I led for some 6 months and have since left. With that all being said, I'm proud to show off Flight of the Phoenix here.

The Team

A Closer Look

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 160 Def / 124 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Iron Head
- Whirlwind

Skarmory is the center of the team. It's a fantastic physical wall and it has the Steel typing that makes it a switch-in for Ice- and Rock-type attacks. Whirlwind and Roost are pretty standard fare for Skarmory. Iron Head was chosen to allow Skarmory to beat Mega Diancie and Fairy-type Pokemon in general. The last move is almost always Stealth Rock, but I actually strongly dislike Stealth Rock Skarmory. It has a rather poor matchup against many of the types that Stealth Rock beats, should not be used as a lead, and can fulfill a much better role for the team with Defog. I love having Defog on Skarmory because as a physical wall, it can safely Defog against most physical attackers. Against a type such as Rock or Ground, Skarmory finds countless opportunities to Defog safely. The EV spread is designed to avoid being KOed by a Life Orb Latios after Stealth Rock damage, when it uses Draco Meteor into Hidden Power Fire. Further, Choice Scarf Kyurem-B can never 2HKO Skarmory with Ice Beam even after Stealth Rock damage.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Zapdos is the other half of the powerful Skarmory + Zapdos core that shuts out almost every attacker. Ever since I started using it, I've preferred Volt Switch to Discharge. Volt Switch just provides so much momentum for the team that Discharge's mildly higher Base Power and paralysis chance is not nearly as good. I also prefer Toxic to Heat Wave, as it allows Zapdos to wall and stall countless foes and even other defensive Pokemon. Because I lack Heat Wave, there's no reason for Zapdos to creep Jolly Breloom, so I can invest more into Special Defense. Zapdos's decent bulk makes it a fantastic Defog user. I think two Defog users is optimal and keeps Stealth Rock away, as Zapdos and Skarmory can Defog on each other's checks, making it a lot easier to choose which Pokemon to remove the Stealth Rock with. (On side note, yes, 252 HP is more optimal due to Leftovers / Roost recovery outweighing Stealth Rock damage)

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Taunt

As the strongest sweeper Flying has to offer, Mega Gyarados is my wincon in most matchups. Its ability to threaten to sweep one of the strongest types, Psychic, cannot be appreciated enough. As long as it's in the back, most Choice item users have to be very careful when it comes to choosing their moves, as Mega Gyarados can easily come in to start setting up.I choose to use a Jolly nature to make sure Mega Gyarados outspeeds Choice Scarf users such as Hoopa-U, Volcanion, and Gardevoir. I decided to use Taunt over Substitute to beat phazers such as Skarmory and Hippowdon. Taunt is also a fantastic option that stops Pokemon that usually force Mega Gyarados out and try to use Stealth Rock or set up (Again, Skarmory and Hippowdon can Stealth Rock too). This does make Mega Gyarados much more vulnerable against the likes of Sableye, which cannot be Taunted before the Will-O-Wisp, and Slowbro, which can potentially get a burn with Scald.

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

To help Mega Gyarados set up its sweep, Landorus was my wallbreaker of choice, with its fantastic Special Attack and Sheer Force. It forces a lot of switches, with its huge movepool, and breaks most of the physical walls that Mega Gyarados has a hard time getting through. My moveset is tailored to hit the targets I felt were most difficult to handle. Sludge Wave makes Landorus almost unstoppable against Fairy teams, as the only immunity is Klefki, which gets easily KOed by Earth Power. Rock Slide is a great coverage option, as it lets Landorus hit Zapdos for a solid 2HKO even with the Timid nature. It also OHKOes Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y. The final move is Stealth Rock. Most Flying teams put it on Skarmory, but I strongly dislike Skarmory using Stealth Rock, as that removes the possibility of using double Defog. As said, Landorus forces countless switches and that helps it set up Stealth Rock with great ease. The Rock Slide moveslot can be adapted to the metagame. Knock Off can easily be used to beat Psychic more easily and it should be used with a Naive nature to allow it to beat Latios and Victini. While Focus Blast is popular to hit Skarmory, this team doesn't need the coverage and most Skarmory users will be scared out by the possibility regardless.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot
- Thunder Wave

Thundurus is my Water check. Thunderbolt hits almost every Water-type Pokemon for significant damage. With Grass Knot, Swampert is easily OHKOed. This makes Thundurus an absolutely fantastic asset against rain Water teams, which can be a very dangerous matchup. Its Prankster Thunder Wave is also invaluable for stopping fast threats, such as Kingdra or Choice Scarf Kyurem-B, and makes Thundurus a very nice emergency check if needed. Hidden Power Ice is just great coverage for hitting Dragon-types that otherwise wall this set. It doesn't do substantial damage, but Thundurus can easily revenge kill with it. Its high Speed also lets it outspeed Keldeo, Latias, and Latios. While it's far from being a power player, it's the glue that checks so many problems and is a fundamental part of the team.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost
- Earthquake

As the final teammate, Gliscor is my choice. Gliscor is perhaps the best stallbreaker for Flying and I chose to use the standard Taunt set and spread, making it even more frustrating for defensive teams to break. More than just beating stall though, Gliscor's biggest selling point is its ability to utterly dismantle Fairy teams. On Fairy teams, only three Pokemon (the uncommon Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir, and the almost nonexistent Choice Band Azumarill) can even 2HKO Gliscor. Gliscor also serves as a full stop to even any non-Choice Band / Specs Hoopa-U, due to its ridiculous bulk and Roost. As mentioned, it breaks stall, making it invaluable against stall Water and the defensive Normal core. In addition to breaking stall, by choosing Taunt, slower Pokemon cannot set up on Gliscor, notably stopping Belly Drum Azumarill, Adamant Bisharp, and Doublade.

Spoiler alert: Balanced team loses to wallbreakers and balance breakers.

This annoying thing ruins my day. Nothing can switch into it at all and Thundurus can't even OHKO with Thunderbolt or meaningfully paralyze it. Even worse, its Fake Out spam makes it a stop to Mega Gyarados if I take any extra damage while setting up. It comes in, it gets a kill. That's really all there is to this ridiculous monster. Pray that it somehow takes chip damage and Landorus or Thundurus are allowed to finish it off.

When it's running a support set, Calm Mind + Reflect Type, or BoltBeam support, I'm perfectly okay. Zapdos beats all of them. When it runs BoltBeam + Calm Mind, I'm in trouble. With Calm Mind, Mega Latias has enough power to break through Zapdos with Ice Beam. It also takes a pittance from Thundurus and Landorus. The team's only hope is to hit a Toxic with Zapdos early on and try to slowly whittle it down before too many Pokemon are lost.

In truth, I should give thanks every day that Dragon users love to put a Choice Scarf on one of their best wallbreakers for some unknown reason. When this has a Choice Scarf, Skarmory and Zapdos wall it all day long. But when it has Life Orb to boost its damage, it becomes a bit more frustrating. This thing gets a kill just like Mega Medicham does every time it comes in. Thankfully(?), Thundurus can paralyze this and it no longer becomes a threat at all. Stealth Rock deals a clean 25% every time it comes in, so its life expectancy is quite low. Also, Mega Gyarados and Landorus can take it out if it has taken some amount of damage (Life Orb recoil, Stealth Rock damage, and what not).

Kingdra is devastating to the team. My only real option is to sack something and either take advantage of it being locked into Hydro Pump or Draco Meteor. Thundurus can paralyze this, so that's a hope. The goal is to take out Politoed, the source of rain, before this takes me out.

Like with Mega Latias, if this just runs a friendly set, it gets walled by Zapdos. Grass Knot, Focus Blast, or Taunt are all fine. But when you run into the one person running around with Nasty Plot Thundurus, that's just bad news bears. Zapdos is the only member that can take a hit at +2, so my only out is to wear it down through Life Orb recoil and the one hit Zapdos gets. Well, I can go for the Speed tie with my own Thundurus of course, but that's not so reliable.

Choice Specs Keldeo can walk through most of my team. We all know Scald has 100% burn rate too, so even though Zapdos can almost always survive two Scalds even if the first one burns, that makes Zapdos almost useless afterwards. Thankfully, Thundurus can outspeed to OHKO with Thunderbolt, though. Subsitute + Calm Mind and Choice Scarf Keldeo are far from annoying, though, so I hope (in vain) for those sets.

I wish I had replays from MLT2 to show, but all of the replays of my high ladder games are dead. When you play 92 games but have 0 good replays...

From Seasonals:
Vs. Hammy using CM Mega Latias Psychic
Vs. Zarif using Psychic
Vs. Trich using Fairy
Vs. Leru using Flying
Vs. Leru using rnbs's Fairy cteam
Vs. Level 56 using HO Steel

Landorus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Iron Head
- Whirlwind

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Taunt

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot
- Thunder Wave

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost
- Earthquake

Shoutouts to the whole squad that's been pushing me forward and backing me up. You're all the best.​

Individual Shoutouts:
Chakra for bugging me to do shoutouts for people lol. One of the funniest guys I've ever met. You've always kept things light-hearted and I've never seen you get mad. Stay chill, you're seriously an amazing guy.

Sabella I've looked up to you for so long. Your teambuilding ideas are always innovative and most especially Volt Switch Zapdos has never left my teambuilder since I saw you use it in a battle. Maybe this RMT is a homage to your old Flying RMT?

Lax I know you've quit, but you're pretty much the one who gave me the starting push to enter the Monotype community and start contributing (back with your Roles Compendium!). You've always had my back and thanks for believing in me. It's been a pleasure. I hope you'll come back some day.

Andromeda. You really had the time to teach some random kid from the Monotype chatroom the night before MPL. That was when I started using the split EV spread that would continue on to be featured on this very team. One of the best people I've had the honor of knowing.

Confluxx We've been bros since we met. Thank you for always being by my side as one of the people I'm closest with. We joke a lot but you're honestly one of my best friends. I hope your contributions and skill get recognized soon. (Mono RO when?)

Wanka Fighting squad. Real ashamed that I've sold out and pretty much don't use Fighting in tours. I still remember our first conversation and we started off pretty bad, but since then it's been lit. Some day we should build a Fighting team that beats everything... I'm sure it exists.

Waszap Wew is that the god himself? You're basically one of the unofficial Phoenix founders. I've had serious respect for you literally since my first day on Showdown. You've taught me so much and helped me along my way. We're not in the same league anymore, but that doesn't change a thing. Won't ever forgive you joining the Fairy flood in Phoenix though.

Zarif Crazily friendly guy. Literally never has a seriously mean thing to say. Kinda unfortunate one of the replays I showed off my team in was of you choking and letting me advance, but you're a much better battler than me. I'd ask you what you replaced for Volcanion but... yeah, teach me Fire some time?

scpinion for being the best leader I could ask for. You've done so much for this metagame. Yes, you've had help along the way, but that does not diminish your own hard work in any way. You deserve far more appreciation than you get. Thank you.

Entei. Yeah finding which Entei was you took forever. Can you just get the username NOW? In the mean time, thanks for being a bro and supporting me. Some people say things, but you've always been a real chill guy, so never change. I don't know how the mandatory service works in Israel, but if something happens, I hope you stay safe.

Attribute for finally getting a Smogon. Straight up the nicest guy I've ever met literally ever since our first interaction. Even when I thought the community was filled only with exceptionally rude people, you were always respectful and kind. By the way, you're getting boba with Yaksok and me right?

And to everyone I didn't list (this would be even way longer...), thanks for helping me all the way!

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Haha thanks for the shoutout! (mono ro before the year ends ;))

Pretty solid looking team, I don't see anything major I would change but I do have a few suggestions you might want to try out.

• Iron Head --> Brave Bird ; With Mega Medicham usage going up, Brave Bird on Skarmory is going to help taking it out because nothing on your team can switch in and nothing OHKOs it at full HP except Landorus. Iron Head on Skarmory isn't needed on your team because Stallbreaker Gliscor beats Fairy, and Mega Gyarados, Landorus, and Gliscor beat Rock. It can be somewhat useful against Kyurem-B, but most of the time you're just going to be stalling it out with Roost because it does a good amount of damage to you.
  • Toxic --> Heat Wave, 16 Spe --> 108 Spe ; Bisharp can be a pretty big threat to your team if it gets to +2 which it can also do by switching into a Defog. Skarmory can't wall it because it's running a mixed spread and it can do a lot of damage to Gyarados, especially if Stealth Rock are up and due to Intimidate boosting its Attack even more. You mentioned that Toxic is one of your only checks to Mega Latias, however Mega Gyarados lives two unboosted Thunderbolts from Mega Latias, or one +2 Thunderbolt if it's a Calm Mind variant, and can OHKO it with +1 Crunch. The suggested Speed is for Breloom, as unlike Bisharp they pretty much always run a Jolly nature. You have Gliscor to beat defensive teams anyway, so having a real answer to Breloom would benefit your team.
  • Rock Slide --> Knock Off ; This comes down to preference, but Knock Off on Landorus is very nice for hitting Psychic-types which in the current meta are more powerful than ever. It also wastes Colbur Berries and has very useful utility in certain matchups which Rock Slide doesn't.
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Landorus @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Hope I helped and good luck with the team in future tournaments or on ladder! :toast:

Haha thanks for the shoutout! (mono ro before the year ends ;))

Pretty solid looking team, I don't see anything major I would change but I do have a few suggestions you might want to try out.

• Iron Head --> Brave Bird ; With Mega Medicham usage going up, Brave Bird on Skarmory is going to help taking it out because nothing on your team can switch in and nothing OHKOs it at full HP except Landorus. Iron Head on Skarmory isn't needed on your team because Stallbreaker Gliscor beats Fairy, and Mega Gyarados, Landorus, and Gliscor beat Rock. It can be somewhat useful against Kyurem-B, but most of the time you're just going to be stalling it out with Roost because it does a good amount of damage to you.
  • Toxic --> Heat Wave, 16 Spe --> 108 Spe ; Bisharp can be a pretty big threat to your team if it gets to +2 which it can also do by switching into a Defog. Skarmory can't wall it because it's running a mixed spread and it can do a lot of damage to Gyarados, especially if Stealth Rock are up and due to Intimidate boosting its Attack even more. You mentioned that Toxic is one of your only checks to Mega Latias, however Mega Gyarados lives two unboosted Thunderbolts from Mega Latias, or one +2 Thunderbolt if it's a Calm Mind variant, and can OHKO it with +1 Crunch. The suggested Speed is for Breloom, as unlike Bisharp they pretty much always run a Jolly nature. You have Gliscor to beat defensive teams anyway, so having a real answer to Breloom would benefit your team.
  • Rock Slide --> Knock Off ; This comes down to preference, but Knock Off on Landorus is very nice for hitting Psychic-types which in the current meta are more powerful than ever. It also wastes Colbur Berries and has very useful utility in certain matchups which Rock Slide doesn't.
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Landorus @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Hope I helped and good luck with the team in future tournaments or on ladder! :toast:
Thanks for the rate!

I'm a tad worried about losing Toxic for Mega Latias, as you mentioned, so I'm unlikely to use Heat Wave over it. It's also really nice for hitting Swampert, if something goes wrong and Thundurus is unavailable or Grass Knot has already been revealed.

I'll definitely give Brave Bird Skarmory a shot because Mega Medicham is just such a problem right now. (I guess it also prevents Skarmory from being setup fodder for opposing Taunt Mega Gyarados?)

Knock Off Landorus is nice, since Gliscor beats opposing Zapdos anyway. That being said, Mega Charizard Y will be more frustrating to deal with without Rock Slide, so I'll have to do some testing whether the change is worth it.

Great team fren, i'm surprised your reign in ssnl went so long due to this team even tho i saw it coming like since round 2
lol jk you deserved it

I see that you failed to mention something in your threatlist:

Mega Diancie with HP ICE

Anyways, i dont think i need to tell you how much this threatens your team as proved by you know who
So id suggest on keeping the Iron head on skarmory, rather than the BB that flexx suggested

LOL jk, keep up the great work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)