RU Fletchinder

QC: galbia / 49 / Arikado
GP: Psywaves / antemortem

Overview
########

Fletchinder has a unique ability in Gale Wings, which gives priority to Flying-type moves, making it a great late-game cleaner. It also has a decent defensive typing in Fire / Flying, which provides several good resistances that allow it to set up on several offensive Pokemon, such as Escavalier. Furthermore, Fletchinder has access to utility moves such as Roost, which lets it recover when needed, and Will-O-Wisp, which allows it to cripple and slowly wear down its own counters. However, Fletchinder has no secondary STAB attacks, which would be great for hitting most Pokemon resistant to Acrobatics. It is also pretty frail, which means that despite its good defensive typing, it won't have many opportunities to switch in. Lastly, Fletchinder has a 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, which takes away half of Fletchinder's health when it is switched in, often forcing it to Roost and requiring it to be used with some form of entry hazard control.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Acrobatics
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Roost
ability: Gale Wings
evs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 104 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Fletchinder's underwhelming Attack stat to a level where it can plow through teams with Acrobatics. Acrobatics is Fletchinder's most powerful STAB attack, as it has 110 Base Power without an item and priority thanks to Gale Wings. Will-O-Wisp cripples several physical attackers that try to come in to beat Fletchinder, such as Rhyperior, by burning them. Roost provides reliable recovery for Fletchinder, letting it recover first in most situations by virtue of Gale Wings.

Set Details
========

Gale Wings is one of the few reasons to use Fletchinder, as it gives priority to all of its Flying-type moves. Not using an item doubles the power of Acrobatics, which turns Fletchinder into a dangerous late-game cleaner. The EV spread gives Fletchinder's mediocre bulk a good boost and lets it avoid the 2HKO from Assault Vest Escavalier's Knock Off, while the Attack EVs and an Adamant nature greatly increase its damage output. The Speed EVs let Fletchinder's Acrobatics go before maximum Speed Emboar's Sucker Punch, making it fail. They also let Fletchinder outspeed Adamant Pangoro, Skuntank, and Golbat.

Usage Tips
========

Use Swords Dance on a predicted switch, as it greatly boosts Fletchinder's Attack, allowing it to plow through opposing teams. It can also be used against Pokemon it forces out, such as Pangoro, or it can be set up on resisted hits. If Fletchinder is used early-game, use Will-O-Wisp to spread burns and weaken foes for other teammates. Fletchinder is very frail, and thus shouldn't be switched into any attack aside from those that it resists, such as Grass-type attacks. It is also very useful to remove Stealth Rock before you switch into Fletchinder, as otherwise it will have half of its HP cut upon switching in which will make set up difficult. Bringing Fletchinder in with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch is recommended, as it doesn't have enough bulk to switch into too many threats.

Team Options
========

Dugtrio is a good teammate for its ability to trap and beat opposing Rock- and Electric-types for Fletchinder, as well as provide Memento support, which gives Fletchinder an easier time setting up a Swords Dance. In return, Fletchinder can take Grass-type attacks aimed at Dugtrio. Whimsicott can use U-turn to bring Fletchinder in and provide Memento support, as well as beat a handful of Water- and Rock-types. Entry hazard removal support from Pokemon such as Shiftry and Hitmonlee is mandatory, as Stealth Rock will cut half of Fletchinder's HP upon switching in. Grass-types such as Virizion and Rotom-C can take on the bulky Water-types that threaten Fletchinder. Physical wallbreakers such as Choice Band Pangoro and Choice Band Tyrantrum can break through or at least weaken physical walls such as Alomomola. Slow Volt Switch users such as Eelektross can bring in Fletchinder safely.

Other Options
########

Taunt can prevent foes from using status moves, but Fletchinder has no room for it because Will-O-Wisp and Roost provide more useful utility. U-turn allows Fletchinder to do some damage, switch out of its checks and counters, and gain momentum, but Fletchinder has no space for it either. Tailwind doubles the Speed stat of Fletchinder and its teammates. Natural Gift along with a Liechi Berry is a Grass-type coverage option to use against Rhyperior and Quagsire, but only works once, which makes it situational. A bulkier set with Eviolite is a final option, but this way, Acrobatics does far less damage, and Fletchinder lacks enough initial bulk to benefit from the Eviolite boost.

Checks & Counters
########

**Rock-types**: Rock-types such as Aurorus, Omastar, Tyrantrum, Rhyperior, Regirock, and Kabutops do not only resist Acrobatics, but can also OHKO Fletchinder with their super effective STAB attacks. However, physically offensive Rock-types certainly don't like getting burned.

**Physical Bulky Pokemon**: Bulky Pokemon such as Mega Camerupt, Druddigon, Granbull, and Cresselia can take Fletchinder's hits with ease and beat it with a coverage attack.

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Jolteon and Eelektross can beat Fletchinder with one of their STAB attacks. However, Jolteon is OHKOed by a +2 Acrobatics after Stealth Rock and a small amount of prior damage.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Lanturn, Slowking, and Clawitzer can KO Fletchinder with their STAB attacks. Lanturn stands out as a counter, as it barely takes anything from Fletchinder's Acrobatics.

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock halves Fletchinder's health when it is switched in, either leaving it at low health or forcing it to Roost.

Last edited by a moderator:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I really don't like that spread. The speed literally serves no purpose. It's supposed to outspeed 0 speed Drapion but even the spdef set uses 44 speed at least, so I don't see the point.. not like Drapion can do much anyway, unless it has Aqua Tail. The bulk is for checking AV Escavalier I understand that, but I'd like it if you could find a new spread or something. All the fletchinders I see on ladder run more than 92 spe btw.

Also the overview seems to be too negative.. it's more like its discouraging the use of Fletchinder..

I really don't like that spread. The speed literally serves no purpose. It's supposed to outspeed 0 speed Drapion but even the spdef set uses 44 speed at least, so I don't see the point.. not like Drapion can do much anyway, unless it has Aqua Tail. The bulk is for checking AV Escavalier I understand that, but I'd like it if you could find a new spread or something. All the fletchinders I see on ladder run more than 92 spe btw.

Also the overview seems to be too negative.. it's more like its discouraging the use of Fletchinder..
Thanks for the quick post. I tried to fix up the Overview a bit and will try to find a new spread.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
"Will-O-Wisp is an utility attack that cripples a handful of physical attackers trying to come in to beat Fletchinder by inflicting burn on them."

Like what? *cough* Rhyperior *cough*

How do you miss that .-.
I mean, it's mentioned it in c&c but it's important to explain what moves hit.

"The EV spread avoids the 2HKO from Assault Vest Escavalier's Knock Off, and the Speed EVs lets it a Speed stat of 238, outspeeding 0 Speed Drapion, as well as 124 Spe Cresselia and 84 Spe Golbat."

You can't creep anything with a specific amount of speed investment such as the mentioned 124 spe cress; that counts as speed creep. Also you set up on sub cm cress so idk. Figure out another spread, this one does the same thing as the previous one pretty much.

"The Attack EVs greatly increase Fletchinder's Attack stat, and an Adamant nature is used because gives another boost to Fletchinder's Attack"

Just say something like adamant and max Attack is used to hit as hard as possible, that's a bit too wordy.

Mention in usage tips (maybe overview as well) how it is a great revenge killer to threats such as pangoro / virizion / emboar / Hitmonlee / Medicham etc.

Explain what pokemon it sets up on, such as on weak resisted hits from the likes of Aromatisse or threatening out an offensive fighting type.

Can't think of many of the top of my head, but maybe mention a rhyperior lure in team options as even burned rock blast easily KOs.

C&C

Regirock in Rock-types; hates being burned but is mostly used on full stall with a cleric; and obviously rock slide stings or it can status fletch.

Non physically defensive Slowking is OHKOd by +2 acro after sr, and I'm pretty sure same goes for clawitzer.

The physical walls section is pointless atm, the only two pokemon mentioned are already in other categories. Consider other physically bulky mons like Mega camerupt, Druddigon, granbull (often carries roar and or twave)

Iffy on priority getting its own section since Houndoom is one of the few priority users that's faster than fletch.

Consider adding Tyrantrum and omastar to rock-types as I think the former outspeeds fletch naturally (obviously the scarf set does) and resists acro, while omastar can shell smash in its face.

Lanturn should be in water types, and maybe gastrodon and Jellicent. Quagsire (unaware) and seismitoad as well for sure.

No offense, this seems really lacking in content and quality :/

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
"You can't creep anything with a specific amount of speed investment such as the mentioned 124 spe cress; that counts as speed creep. Also you set up on sub cm cress so idk. Figure out another spread, this one does the same thing as the previous one pretty much."

trc what do you think?

"Will-O-Wisp is an utility attack that cripples a handful of physical attackers trying to come in to beat Fletchinder by inflicting burn on them."

Like what? *cough* Rhyperior *cough*

How do you miss that .-.
I mean, it's mentioned it in c&c but it's important to explain what moves hit.

"The EV spread avoids the 2HKO from Assault Vest Escavalier's Knock Off, and the Speed EVs lets it a Speed stat of 238, outspeeding 0 Speed Drapion, as well as 124 Spe Cresselia and 84 Spe Golbat."

You can't creep anything with a specific amount of speed investment such as the mentioned 124 spe cress; that counts as speed creep. Also you set up on sub cm cress so idk. Figure out another spread, this one does the same thing as the previous one pretty much.

"The Attack EVs greatly increase Fletchinder's Attack stat, and an Adamant nature is used because gives another boost to Fletchinder's Attack"

Just say something like adamant and max Attack is used to hit as hard as possible, that's a bit too wordy.

Mention in usage tips (maybe overview as well) how it is a great revenge killer to threats such as pangoro / virizion / emboar / Hitmonlee / Medicham etc.

Explain what pokemon it sets up on, such as on weak resisted hits from the likes of Aromatisse or threatening out an offensive fighting type.

Can't think of many of the top of my head, but maybe mention a rhyperior lure in team options as even burned rock blast easily KOs.

C&C

Regirock in Rock-types; hates being burned but is mostly used on full stall with a cleric; and obviously rock slide stings or it can status fletch.

Non physically defensive Slowking is OHKOd by +2 acro after sr, and I'm pretty sure same goes for clawitzer.

The physical walls section is pointless atm, the only two pokemon mentioned are already in other categories. Consider other physically bulky mons like Mega camerupt, Druddigon, granbull (often carries roar and or twave)

Iffy on priority getting its own section since Houndoom is one of the few priority users that's faster than fletch.

Consider adding Tyrantrum and omastar to rock-types as I think the former outspeeds fletch naturally (obviously the scarf set does) and resists acro, while omastar can shell smash in its face.

Lanturn should be in water types, and maybe gastrodon and Jellicent. Quagsire (unaware) and seismitoad as well for sure.
Done this all, thanks for the advice.

aVocado

@ Everstone
  • Needs to set up a Swords Dance before it can sweep with Acrobatics, as it has a pretty low base physical Attack.
  • Regardless of these downsides, Fletchinder is still a great late game cleaner if it has set up a Swords Dance.
Remove these two points.

Mention that it's access to Will-O-Wisp means it can spread burns well because it forces a lot of switches.

I talked to you about most other things and you fixed them so the rest looks clean. Stay tuned for the spread tho, a better one could potentially be found and I'm not sure if it would be considered speed creep or not, and Pangoro's banning would force us to change the spread again anyway so yeah.

In team options, replace CB Drudd's mention with CB Tyrantrum.

You could add some more stuff to OO. col49 spoke about SD + Natural Gift and the berry that makes it grass-type as a lure.. i've seen Eviolite Fletch do work before (lol) but yeah feel free to not add them if you don't want to lol.

I'll wait a bit before checking though.

tehy

Banned deucer.
  • The EV spread avoids the 2HKO from Assault Vest Escavalier's Knock Off, and the Speed EVs lets it a Speed stat of 238, outspeeding 0 Speed Drapion, as well as 124 Spe Cresselia and 84 Spe Golbat.
those last two are total speed creep

I was actually going to post asking who the hell runs 0 Spe drapion so, lol. Maybe run enough for pangoro? not sure if that's worth it

The only really useful number I would consider is using 104 Speed Evs to out speed Max Speed Adamant Emboar's Sucker Punch to make it fail when Fletchinder attacks. It is also an useful excuse to outrun opposing Skuntank that creep and minimum speed Golbat most of the time. Out speeding Adamant Pangoro and Timid Clawitzer (very useful especially against the SUPER ULTRA COMMON aqua jet variant lol) comes with it. The rest should be put in HP to make it an odd number and 4 in defense

"Natural Gift along with a Liechi Berry is a Grass-type option to use versus Rhyperior and Quagsire, but only works once which makes it unworthy."

how dare u. real talk, change that to "inconsistent" or "situational", makes more sense. the phrasing on the duggy partner mention is weird as well (would suggest that fletch provides memento support for dugtrio o_o), so fix that in write-up. i'd also stress the option of running bulk > speed in the set details, as the application speed is honestly p.slim currently, and being able to buff out its defenses is rather nice here, given its natural fragility.

2/3

tehy

Banned deucer.
real problem with natural cure liechi seems like its nerfing of Acrobatics; you can't really revenge well until you've ditched the berry (or taken 75% damage). Situationality is also a problem thouh

"Natural Gift along with a Liechi Berry is a Grass-type option to use versus Rhyperior and Quagsire, but only works once which makes it unworthy."

how dare u. real talk, change that to "inconsistent" or "situational", makes more sense. the phrasing on the duggy partner mention is weird as well (would suggest that fletch provides memento support for dugtrio o_o), so fix that in write-up. i'd also stress the option of running bulk > speed in the set details, as the application speed is honestly p.slim currently, and being able to buff out its defenses is rather nice here, given its natural fragility.

2/3
Done this, I'll write this up. Thanks!

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
The content/information presented looks fine, but the write-up isn't. I recommend getting help from a GP member or something to fix the writing, or just let GP handle it.

qc approved 3/3

Alomomola does not OHKO Fletchinder with Scald. It cannot even guarantee a 2HKO, whereas Fletchinder can 2HKO back with a +2 Acrobatics:

0 SpA Alomomola Scald vs. 148 HP / 0 SpD Fletchinder: 144-170 (47.6 - 56.2%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 120 HP / 136 Def Alomomola: 277-327 (55.2 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

However, due to how frail Fletchinder is and the threat of Toxic, Alomomola is not a bad answer to Alomomola. You just need to reword C&C because the statement on Alomomola OHKOing Fletchinder is false.

The content/information presented looks fine, but the write-up isn't. I recommend getting help from a GP member or something to fix the writing, or just let GP handle it.

qc approved 3/3
Will do.

Alomomola does not OHKO Fletchinder with Scald. It cannot even guarantee a 2HKO, whereas Fletchinder can 2HKO back with a +2 Acrobatics:

0 SpA Alomomola Scald vs. 148 HP / 0 SpD Fletchinder: 144-170 (47.6 - 56.2%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 120 HP / 136 Def Alomomola: 277-327 (55.2 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

However, due to how frail Fletchinder is and the threat of Toxic, Alomomola is not a bad answer to Alomomola. You just need to reword C&C because the statement on Alomomola OHKOing Fletchinder is false.
Did, thanks for pointing that out. I tried to reword it a bit.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You're missing spaces in some places like "It is alsopretty frail", so make sure to check over your analysis again. There are more instances such as after punctuation and whatnot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)