Flareon (Choice Scarf)

QC Approved: (2/2) (Bluewind) (uragg)
QC Rejected (0/2):
GP Checks (2/2): (Komodo) (Fatecrashers)
------------------------------------
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/flareon

(will add picture later when I have time, as I'm a little short on time right now)

Anyway, I realized that there's not even a mention of Choice Scarf in Flareon's OC, so I decided to do some testing. After a while, I found that Choice Scarf gave Flareon the Speed boost that it desperately needed, turning it into a good revenge killer, as well as greatly increasing its offensive potential in general. I know that my EVs may not be the best, so give me an alternate spread if you feel it's necessary.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Return
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Hidden Power Grass
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Hasty
evs: 252 Atk / 12 SpA / 244 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Flareon is often shunned in favor of faster Fire-types such as Magmortar and Blaziken, it can boost its offensive potential by holding a Choice Scarf to overcome its middling Speed, allowing it to outspeed all non-boosted Pokemon in the metagame bar Electrode and Swellow. Flareon's offensive stats ensure that it can tear through opposing teams, while its base 110 Special Defense stat gives Flareon much needed bulk, a trait that other Fire-types like Houndoom lack. Fire Blast is Flareon's STAB move of choice, defeating bothersome Pokemon such as Sceptile with ease. Return deals neutral damage to many UU Pokemon, while Superpower punishes Rock-types such as Rhyperior and Aggron hoping to switch into a predicted Fire Blast or Return. Hidden Power Grass rounds out the set, providing valuable coverage against difficult Pokémon like Quagsire, who would otherwise threaten Flareon easily with Toxic and Earthquake.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Toxic may be used over Hidden Power Grass or Return to cripple bulky Pokemon like Milotic; however, this takes away from Flareon's coverage, which may often prove deadly in battles. Lava Plume may be used over Fire Blast if one is concerned about physical attackers such as Hitmontop, but Flareon almost always needs Fire Blast's power more than Lava Plume's burn rate. A purely physical or special Choice Scarf set is also possible, but Flareon's physical movepool is sorely limited, and the power of Flareon's special attacks leave much to be desired. The EV spread allows Flareon to outspeed base 120s with a positive nature while augmenting Flareon's offensive stats, but a more offensively-oriented EV spread may be used. This is discouraged, however, as Flareon loses the ability to outrun Pokemon such as Alakazam and Sceptile, an advantage that many teams appreciate.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, Flareon does have a number of problems, even with the Speed boost. Milotic's bulk and access to Recover allows it to stall and eventually defeat Flareon, although it does not appreciate a surprise Toxic. Arcanine can also switch into any of Flareon's attacks with ease and threaten Flareon's weaker Defense stat, but it too fears Toxic. Swellow can outspeed and revenge kill Flareon easily, and Mismagius's immunity to Normal- and Fighting-type moves allows it to switch into Return and Superpower and set up. To deal with these threats, Donphan makes a good partner, thanks to its ability to take physical attacks with ease, provide Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin support, and defeat many of Flareon's counters. Leafeon can provide Wish and Heal Bell support while taking physical hits aimed at Flareon, as well as eliminating Rock- and Ground-types in Flareon's way. Additionally, it lures in Fire-type attacks for its fiery-hearted kin to switch into, allowing Flareon to take advantage of the opponent's misprediction. Milotic's bulk and offensive power also makes it an excellent partner, defeating many of Flareon's counters while using Recover to heal off damage.<p>

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Seems to be the best it can do, so approved. I'd just leave Toxic to AC and mention it can be used over either Return or Hidden Power Grass. Also don't forget Flareon's Attack is the highest, but Blaziken can just run Adamant whereas Flareon needs Hasty, which means Ken has more Attack in the end, so yeah...

Edit: I know, just saying it's irrelevant and misleading.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
yeah, not a terrible set at all, which is more than enough for Flareon.

QC APPROVED 2/2

Thanks! I'll start writing it up!

...wow, I never expected my first set that passed QC to go through so quickly, seeing that my others were rejected, some after a while...

Finally ready for GP Checks! I'll be day-to-day for quite a while, so if I don't make the changes for a while, don't worry!

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1/2

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Although Flareon is often shunned in favor of faster Fire-types such as Magmortar and Blaziken, it can boost its offensive potential by holding a Choice Scarf to overcome its middling Speed, allowing it to outspeed the entire non-boosted metagame bar Electrode and Swellow. Flareon's offensive stats ensure that it can tear through opposing teams, while a its base 110 Special Defense stat gives Flareon much needed bulk, a trait that other Fire-types like Houndoom lack. Fire Blast is Flareon's STAB move of choice, defeating bothersome Pokémon like such as Sceptile with ease. Return deals hard-hitting neutral damage against to many UU Pokemon, while Superpower punishes Rock-types like such as Rhyperior and Aggron hoping to switch into a predicted Fire Blast or Return. Hidden Power Grass rounds out the set, providing valuable coverage against difficult Pokémon like Quagsire, who would otherwise threaten Flareon easily with Toxic and Earthquake.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Toxic is an option may be used over Hidden Power Grass or Return in order to cripple bulky Pokémon like Milotic; however, this takes away from Flareon's coverage, which may often prove deadly in battles. Lava Plume may be used over Fire Blast if one is concerned about physical attackers such as Hitmontop, but Flareon almost always needs Fire Blast's power more than Lava Plume's burn rate. A purely physical or special Choice Scarf set is also possible, but Flareon's physical movepool is sorely limited, and the power of Flareon's special attacks leave much to be desired. The EV spread allows Flareon to outspeed base 120s with a Speed-boosting positive nature while augmenting Flareon's offensive stats, but a more offensively-oriented EV spread may be used. This is discouraged, however, as Flareon loses the ability to defeat outrun Pokémon such as Alakazam and Sceptile, an advantage that many teams appreciate.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, Flareon does have a number of problems, even with the Speed boost. Milotic's bulk and access to Recover allows it to outlast stall and eventually defeat Flareon, although it does not appreciate a surprise Toxic. Arcanine can also switch into any of Flareon's attacks with ease and threaten to attack Flareon's weaker Defense stat, but it too fears Toxic. Swellow can outspeed and revenge kill Flareon easily, and Mismagius's immunity to Normal- and Fighting-type moves allows it to switch into Return and Superpower and set up. To deal with these threats, Donphan makes a good partner, thanks to its abilities to take physical attacks with ease, provide Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin support, and defeat many of Flareon's counters. Leafeon provides Wish and Heal Bell support while taking physical hits aimed at Flareon, as well as eliminating Rock- and Ground-types in Flareon's way. Additionally, it lures in Fire-type attacks for its fiery-hearted kin to switch into, allowing Flareon to take advantage of the opponent's mistake. Milotic's bulk and offensive power also makes it an excellent partner, defeating many of Flareon's threats counters with ease while using Recover to heal off damage.<p>

Remove
Edit

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GP CHECK TWO: Partners in Time

remove
add

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Although Flareon is often shunned in favor of faster Fire-types such as Magmortar and Blaziken, it can boost its offensive potential by holding a Choice Scarf to overcome its middling Speed, allowing it to outspeed the entire all non-boosted Pokemon in the metagame bar Electrode and Swellow. Flareon's offensive stats ensure that it can tear through opposing teams, while its base 110 Special Defense stat gives Flareon much needed bulk, a trait that other Fire-types like Houndoom lack. Fire Blast is Flareon's STAB move of choice, defeating bothersome Pokemon such as Sceptile with ease. Return deals neutral damage to many UU Pokemon, while Superpower punishes Rock-types such as Rhyperior and Aggron hoping to switch into a predicted Fire Blast or Return. Hidden Power Grass rounds out the set, providing valuable coverage against difficult Pokémon like Quagsire, who would otherwise threaten Flareon easily with Toxic and Earthquake.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Toxic may be used over Hidden Power Grass or Return to cripple bulky Pokemon like Milotic; however, this takes away from Flareon's coverage, which may often prove deadly in battles. Lava Plume may be used over Fire Blast if one is concerned about physical attackers such as Hitmontop, but Flareon almost always needs Fire Blast's power more than Lava Plume's burn rate. A purely physical or special Choice Scarf set is also possible, but Flareon's physical movepool is sorely limited, and the power of Flareon's special attacks leave much to be desired. The EV spread allows Flareon to outspeed base 120s with a positive nature while augmenting Flareon's offensive stats, but a more offensively-oriented EV spread may be used. This is discouraged, however, as Flareon loses the ability to outrun Pokemon such as Alakazam and Sceptile, an advantage that many teams appreciate.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, Flareon does have a number of problems, even with the Speed boost. Milotic's bulk and access to Recover allows it to stall and eventually defeat Flareon, although it does not appreciate a surprise Toxic. Arcanine can also switch into any of Flareon's attacks with ease and threaten to attack Flareon's weaker Defense stat, but it too fears Toxic. Swellow can outspeed and revenge kill Flareon easily, and Mismagius's immunity to Normal- and Fighting-type moves allows it to switch into Return and Superpower and set up. To deal with these threats, Donphan makes a good partner, thanks to its ability abilities to take physical attacks with ease, provide Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin support, and defeat many of Flareon's counters. Leafeon provides can provide Wish and Heal Bell support while taking physical hits aimed at Flareon, as well as eliminating Rock- and Ground-types that stand in Flareon's way. Additionally, it lures in Fire-type attacks for its fiery-hearted kin to switch into, allowing Flareon to take advantage of the opponent's mistake misprediction. Milotic's bulk and offensive power also makes it an excellent partner, defeating many of Flareon's counters while using Recover to heal off damage.<p>

easy

changed the accent on Pokemon in order to maintain consistency

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)