VGC First VGC Offensive Trick Room Team

Hi everyone! I'm here with the first VGC team from Pokemon Sun that needs to be rated. It is a Trick Room team that contains a lot of slow Pokemon that are capable of out speeding many Pokemon in Trick Room.

So far, it performs well in Double Battles but it does have it's flaws. That's why it needs to be rated so I will know what needs to be done to make it stronger.

Here's the team in it's current state:

Oranguru
Nature: Relaxed
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/0
EVs 252 HP/184 Def/72 Sp.Def
Ability: Telepathy
Held Item: Mental Herb
Psychic
Trick Room
Protect
Instruct

This Pokemon is the main engine in the Trick Room team as it is a fantastic supporter thanks to Trick Room and Instruct. The plan is to either go for Trick Room or Protect on the first turn depending on what Pokemon the opponent has. Once Trick Room is up, Oranguru would go for Instruct on it's strong sweeping partner for it to inflict twice as much damage on the opponent. Wishiwashi is the best partner for this Pokemon as Surf deals immense damage in a single turn.

Mental Herb can make Oranguru withstand a Taunt so it'll set up the move this team adores. Sometimes it's best to become prepared to expect the worst.

Since it is the only Trick Roomer in the team, opponents will predict it will be sent out and plan on taking it down first to prevent Trick Room. Threats such as Alolan Muk, Fake out users and Z-powered attacks can take it down without difficulty. Without Trick Room, the team will be at a huge disadvantage as they rely on it to give out their full potential.

Vikavolt
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp.Atk/4 Sp.Def
Abilty: Levitate
Held Item: Electrium Z
Thunderbolt
Energy Ball
Bug Buzz
Protect

This Pokemon can cause quite a shock in Pokemon battles with it's high Special attack power. Celesteela and I think Gyarados are some of the most popular Pokemon in VGC today so Vikavolt is selected to take those threats down. With Electrium Z, it will OHKO many Pokemon that would've withstood 2 Thunderbolts like Celesteela or should I say, Skarmory 2.0 for instance.

Bug Buzz is against Psychic, Dark and Grass types and those that have Lightning Rod and Energy Ball is for Ground and Rock types (such as Gastrodon and Lycanroc).

Even though it's a strong Pokemon, it can be taken down easily without Trick Room. Heck it'll be taken down very quickly without getting a chance to attack. Also, it cannot use Thunderbolt if it's paired up with Marowak as it has Lightning Rod, making the move completely unusable.

Alolan Marowak
Nature: Brave
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/0
EVs: 178 HP/252 Atk/78 Sp.Def
Ability: Lightning Rod
Held Item: Thick Club
Flare Blitz
Shadow Bone
Earthquake
Protect

Another great sweeper which can lock down Electric type moves since Tapu Koko is one of the most popular Pokemon in today's metagame with it's high-flying Speed and typing. Can be a good lead if Oranguru wants to set up Trick Room safety when Electric types are about.

Thick Club is a MUST have on Marowak otherwise, it's not a competitive Pokemon without it.

Flare Blitz and Shadow Bone are both STAB moves that can hit VERY hard. Flare Blitz can be a risky move as the recoil damage can cause it to faint.

With Oranguru, Vikavolt or a partner that can Protect, Earthquake can cause a great deal of damage to opposing Pokemon that didn't use Protect or Wide Guard or resist Ground type moves especially if Instruct is used on Marowak.

Like Vikavolt, Marowak can easily be taken down by a strong Water, Rock, Ghost, Dark or Ground type move. Plus if Think Club is knocked off, it will not have as much strength as it used to.

Wishiwashi
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 210 HP/104 Sp.Atk Sp.Atk/200 Sp.Def
Ability: Schooling
Held Item: Figy Berry
Surf
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Protect

Oranguru's best partner. In most battles, Oranguru and Wishiwashi are sent out first and the first move is to set up Trick Room and either attack or Protect. Then, the sweeping will commence.

If by any chance Wishiwashi is a low HP and will revert back to it's Solo Form, Figy Berry can keep it in it's School Form for a little longer.

Surf is used most often if it's partner is an instructing Oranguru as it will not feel a thing. Pokemon that cannot withstand Surf very well will have a hard time getting around this strategy as they can be washed away in a single turn.

If Oranguru is not it's partner, it'll go for Hydro Pump to deal great amounts of damage and Ice Beam to take down Flying, Grass, Dragon and certain Ground types.

Strong attackers such as Xurkitree, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko and Alolan Raichu can be it's downfall despite having a good amount of bulk. When it's out, most of the offensive power of this Trick Room team is gone. Those are the reasons why Marowak is used for backup.

Machamp
Nature: Brave
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/0
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Ability: No Guard
Held Item: Muscle Band
Dynamic Punch
Poison Jab
Rock Slide
Wide Guard

Machamp is a good choice in a Trick Room team since it doesn't out speed most Pokemon. Plus, it will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever miss with it's No Guard ability. Pokemon with Minimize or Double Team will have to think twice before taunting it. With Muscle Band, it has boosted physical attack so it's definitely a force to be reckoned with.

There's no denying that Machamp is the only Dynamic Punch available in this VGC. I mean how can it Falcon Punch without it? Anyway, Rock Slide is for opposing Flying, Fire and Ice types and Poison Jab is for Fairy and Grass types.

With Wide Guard, it can protect it's side of the field from moves like Dazzling Gleam, Earthquake, Rock Slide and Explosion. This can be quite handy for Oranguru to set up Trick Room when going up against opponents that can hit multiple Pokemon at once.

Even if Poison Jab is for Fairy types, it cannot OHKO certain Pokemon such as Tapu Fini, Mimikyu and Clefable even with Muscle Band. After one attack or in the turn Trick Room is not up, they can strike it down with an almighty move.

Alolan Ninetales
Nature: Timid
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe
Ability: Snow Warning
Held Item: Focus Sash
Blizzard
Moonblast
Freeze-Dry
Aurora Veil

Now I know what you're thinking. Alolan Ninetales in a Trick Room team!? WHY!? Well, it can work wonders with it's Aurora Veil to set up the team's defense so they can withstand Z-Move attacks like Garchomp's Tectonic Rage or Snorlax's Pulverizing Pancake.

With Focus Sash, it'll have a chance to set up Aurora Veil so Oranguru who is sitting back in line can activate Trick Room.

In a hailstorm, Blizzard is a must have. You can never leave in a hailstorm without it. Moonblast again is a must have to take on Fighting, Fairy and Dark types and Freeze-Dry to leave a big freeze on Water type Pokemon.

As you may already know, Ninetales has frail physical defense so that's why Focus Sash is on it. However moves such as Fake Out and Taunt can prevent the Pokemon from setting up Aurora Veil and when it's not a full HP, it'll be a free target for strong opposing sweepers.

And there it is, the first VGC Trick Room team. It's not perfect but it has great potential if used correctly.

I hope you like it. Please let me know if there any necessary improvements to make to the team.

Thanks for reading and good night! ;)

Now that we're seeing the meta settle down and stabilize, here's my advice:

Drop Oranguru and Wishiwashi. If you're dropping Telepathy/Instruct Oranguru you might as well drop Wishiwashi, because there are better Water types out there (Araquanid, etc.) that can hit harder than Wishiwashi. There's a little too much setup required for Wishiwashi to be relevant. Araquanid is a threat with and without Trick Room, but Wishiwashi needs it. Porygon2 and Mimikyu are better substitutes in general for these two slots because they're able to set up a Trick Room with no problem (generally). They're bulkier and/or Taunt-immune, depending on what held items you give them. I would run two Trick Room setters instead of one - it will give your team more flexibility against more leads.

I would also drop Machamp for Hariyama. Hariyama's slower, its ability Guts boosts its attack to sky high levels with a Flame Orb, and it gets Fake Out. Fake Out is great in VGC, and might pair well with Oranguru if you really want to keep the monkey on your team.

Based on the results from recent tourneys, you should have answers to these pokemon:
  • All the UB's
  • Tapu Fini
  • Tapu Lele
  • Tapu Koko
  • Arcanine
  • Araquanid
  • Hariyama
  • Eevee (extreme evoboost)
I don't know how Ninetails can respond to these pokemon, but Vikavolt and Marowak are really good choices on your part. I actually want to swap out my Magnezone for Vikavolt sometime soon. If you're going to run one Trick Room setter, you need Fake Out.

Well someone beat me to post here hahaha.
First try smaller pics next time because it puts too much space between every set imo and it's bothersome.

If you want to keep (most) of the team and try how it goes I suggest you this:

Choice Band that Machamp. Right now you have it wanting to fulfill 2 roles, attacker and support with wide guard. I believe it would work better if you give him a choice band and commit to the role of hitting hard.

I'll also drop Ninetales. Aurora Veil is almost OP but the chip damage can really hurt you specially with a mon like Wishiwashi in the team. I'll change it for another trick room setter, like porygon2 that is always a good mon to have. Mimikyu is also a great option like Daniel said.

Anyway I really want to know how the team has played for you since you posted it here. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)