First team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey

This is my first team I plan. I'm using mostly Pokemon I like, but I think they work together. Let me know your thoughts.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spd
Adamant Nature
IVs: 31/31/31/xx/31/31
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

This is a pretty standard Gliscor, I prefer Adamant nature over Impish since I prefer him to be an attacker. Not sure about the first move, I want a flying move for STAB and thought between Acrobatics and Air Slash , but i'm thinking maybe U-Turn would work better.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Night Slash / Beat Up
- Low Kick / Brick Break
- Ice Punch / Icicle Crash

This one is the one i'm having the most trouble with. First i'm thinking if maybe I should change Life Orb with Focus Sash, since Weavile usually gets OHKO when it gets hit and due to his many weaknesses, but Life Orb works well on him too. Now, about the attacking moves i'm leaning towards the first ones listed, but thought about using the other ones since they're more powerful, especially if i'll change to focus sash.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

This is a pretty standard Scizor. Right off the site, not much more to say.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Bold Nature
IVs: 31/xx/31/31/31/31
- Scald
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Tail

Another standard set. I chose Dragon Tail in order to surprise players who bulk up thinking they can take on Milotic and then usually dragging out a Pokemon weak to Water/Ice

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: 31/xx/31/xx/31/xx
- Wish
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball

This is another set i'm not sure about. I was trying to cover some types I was missing hence going with HP Fire and Shadow Ball, and also people do not expect these from Jolteon.
I'm not a big fan of Choice Specs, but I couldn't think of anything better to use.
Now I put Wish as the first move, but i'm seriously thinking of changing it, because usually if Jolteon doesn't attack first its the end for him. The obvious would be changing it to Volt Switch, but then I don't like the idea of 2 Electric attacks on him ... not sure here.

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 28 Def / 244 HP / 236 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 31/xx/31/31/31/31
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Leaf Storm
- Light Screen
- Power Swap

Exeggutor is my surprise pokemon, usually when he's out people think they can easily beat him since they're expecting a whole different set. Harvest is of course used for healing, and i think its good enough without the sun. Now this works as Light Screen->Leaf Storm->Power Swap - to pass on the SpA decrease. Or even starting with Power Swap in case the other Pokemon had bulked up a lot. For his psychic move its hard for me to choose between Psyshock and Psychic , but i'm leaning towards the first right now. My other Power Swap set would be switching Leaf Storm and Light Screen for Giga Drain and Rest with Lum berry, but that would require changing his EVs too.

I'm pretty set on Gliscor, Scizor, Weavile and Milotic, the other 2 I can consider changing.
Please let me know what you think, thanks :)

First off, the descriptions need more meat.

Weavile is a bad Pokemon to begin with, but if you are obsessed with it, take Icicle Crash over Ice Punch. Rotom Wash is a million times superior to Milotic, and Chesnaught>Exeggutor when it comes to bulky waters. Don't put Wish on a Choice set for Jolteon, use Volt Switch, and replace Acrobatics with Ice Fang and Swords Dance with U-Turn on Gliscor.
Honestly, use Mega Lucario over Weavile, Rotom Wash over Lucario, Chesnaught over Exeggutor.

Make those changes, and see where you go from there. At least try them, don't try to beat me down with philosophy. The team seems very theoretical, have you tried testing it? You said it was a "planned" team. RMT is typically reserved for well-planned, well-tested teams. You can use Pokemon Showdown (play.pokemonshowdown.com) to test a team, even if you do not have it in-game.

I realize I have been very harsh, and I'm sorry. This is certainly far better than my first attempt at a competetive team, so don't feel bad. However, I'll crack the whip here to save you from much taunts and insults from some of the less dignified members of our fine community, or by those who feel powerful behind a keyboard (trust me, I've experienced this.)

Just keep learning, keep building, and keep trying. Competitive battling is hard to learn and harder to master, and I wouldn't say I was actually good at battling until after about six months, and I wasn't able to build a solid team off of the top of my head for about a year.

So, just keep digging at it. Take the advice given to you, and you'll find yourself with a pretty nice team at the end.

Welcome to Smogon, my friend,
-Mr. Munchlax

Hi
And thanks for the long reply.
First I did not point it out, but I have been testing it for the last couple of days, and I have about 70% winning streak, so something works here ;).

I am aware Weavile is probably my weakest pokemon, but I don't really wanna use pokemon just to be able to win.
I will take your suggestions into account about the moves, except for Gliscor which I would keep Swords Dance on, since it works very well with Substitute and helps him sweep some threats even.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello.
Your descriptions are too short to fit the RMT rules requirements.
I encourage you to PM me an updated version of this team with beefed up descriptions, and since you're new, to join the Mentor Program. I'll be unlocking this thread after that.

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)