ORAS OU First RMT - Bug/Ghost

Hi everyone. This is my first RMT, but I have been playing about with these 2 typings to create a multitype OU team. After a LOT of changes, I am pretty happy with it! Let me know what you think. OK, here goes:

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

Sableye is a key player in the team. He can shut down any attempt at creating entry hazards - which proves a big problem for my bugs. Never underestimate the power of Magic Bounce! It's surprising how many people forget about it. I start with him to get my Mega up and running, and get an early-game burn.

Later in the game, I use him to either switch in to any other potential hazard creators or to sweep up after there are no more hazard creating threats on the field.

Shuckle @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 30 Def / 228 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shell Smash
- Infestation
- Toxic
- Rest

"The Punisher". I run him contrary for the insane defence boost. Attack is not so important as Toxic+infestation will be doing all the heavy lifting. This guy is great for destroying certain threats. I have taken out Mega Charizards with this guy. He does have a major issue with any moves he is weak against, obviously, so this guy is purely tactical. Rocky Helmet is added to wear down the opponent even faster.

Drifblim @ Leftovers
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Hex
- Stockpile
- Will-O-Wisp

Hopefully, by the time balloon-boy here arrives the target should already be burned or toxic poisoned from the other 2. If not, Drifblim has a Will o Wisp to nerf their attack before he starts stockpiling. With his speed, he can usually bulk up pretty quickly. I added Hex too in order to clear out those ghosts that want to hit him for super effective damage. I also opted for 252 HP instead of Def/SpD to make him viable against any opponent (that he isn't weak against). After the stockpiles start, his other defences increase anyway.

Of course, his main purpose is to pass on those insane defences to one of my 3 main hitters. Which one depends entirely on the opposing team, of course but it is usually either Gengar or Pinsir - since Scizor is choice banded.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Vacuum Wave
- Acrobatics
- Pursuit

With Scizor's impressive attack stat, the choice band boot, and the technician boost, Scizor is great against those fast threats. Usually I try and opt for the attack that will provide most coverage against his team, but Scizor is a powerful enough asset to switch in and out where necessary. With his brittleness against fire though, I usually like to play it safe with when I use him....

Pinsir @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Pinsir is a brute, and these moves are designed to hit hard against types that would normally cause me trouble. Especially fire and rock types. Earthquake is there for any electric attackers, and stealth rock is for a mid-late game entry hazard. Sometimes it is not needed, with Sableye's magic bounce - however, it is great to have to nullify those focus sashes. Focus Sash can prove a disaster for Scizor.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Explosion
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Gengar is not usually last, due to the explosion, but he is a fantastic special attacker. Fast enough to get that hard attack in.Focus Sash+Explosion is so that he can also act as a suicide attacker against any major threats to my team that the others can't handle. If my first attack doesn't do the job, the explosion should. However, if he is the one with the stockpile boost then explosion isn't normally necessary. Unless he only has enough health for one final attack....

Well, there they are. I hope you find my team interesting. It seems to work pretty well against most teams. Usually they fall if I make a stupid mistake. But that's my fault, not theirs :p Of course, any suggestions or observations are welcome so I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Hey, I definatley find your team interesting, but I personally think it is a one trick pony, being able to work against some teams, but not against a lot.
First of all, starting from the bottom, running dazzling gleam is not the best move. Sure, it may be able to hit stray Garchomp, but it is still a 2hko. Instead, sludge bomb over dazzling gleam. Sludge bomb has a chance to heavily damage fairies, which Gengar is supposed to destroy. Finally, destiny bond over explosion. Gengar has no attack investment and explosion is weak.
Secondly, Pinsir is useless without its mega stone. It is squishy, has non-realistic attacks and no stabs. However since you already have mega sableye, i would either suggest ditching pinsir altogether or replacing your mega-eye into a defogger.
On your Scizor, you run vacuum wave which is special and you have a choice band. Instead, superpower over vacuum wave does much more damage, and if you can predict, it can one shot magnezone and heatran. Acrobatics too, is a one shot pony, as u-turn is generally much stronger and can provide scizor as a nice pivot against certain switch ins like rotom-w or lando-t
I have never used driftblim before, but your team seriously have problems with any fire mons. Instead i would recommend using spdef talonflame
Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt/Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
Furthermore with your Driftblim, i really cannot see who you can b/p your stockpiles onto.
Your shuckle is definitely a one trick pony, and a standard one would be rocks/sticky web/encore/toxic, as pinsir should never be used as a stealth rocks setter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice on the Gengar. I see how that would really improve him. I guess Destiny Bond is more of a guarantee. The problem with running Pinsir as a Mega is that I would lose Sableye, who works great as a magic bouncer. Perhaps running him as a taunter instead and maybe replacing shadow ball with foul play or knockoff could be an idea to adjust him.

Drifblim is great and works as an excellent Baton passer. At worst, I can get one stockpile off and a baton pass, but if I use it correctly I can usually get off all three. The main focus of him is to provide extra durability for Pinsir / Scizor and Gengar. He can also run tailwind, which may be an idea to use if passing to one of my bug guys. Talonflame wouldn't work, as my team is specifically Ghost/Bug. Talonflame is fire/flying so not really suitable.

Shuckle works great as a poison staller, so another option would be to use stealth rocks or sticky web with him.

Thanks again. I'll probably trial out taunt sableye and mega pinsir and see how it works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)