SM OU First OU Team

Introduction

Hey! I am very new to the USUM meta, as I have just recently gotten back into competitive battling and even Pokemon in general. This is the first team I built after returning, and while I enjoy it a lot, is has quite a few flaws that usually end up giving me losses (mainly bulky water types like Swamp and Gastro, things that can kill my defensive mons, and Tapu Koko/Lele). Would love to hear what tweaks can be made.

Teambuilding Process

Infernape is my fave mon, and he's one of the most fun attackers to use. Staple moves like FB and CC can nuke some mons in a single hit, and his biggest weakness is not being as fast as I think he should be.

In my opinion, Scizor is one of the coolest looking Megas in the game. Stack a few SDs and Bullet Punch can take care of anything that doesn't resist it.

I'll admit, the anime is the reason Greninja is such a badass for me. But, that badassery transfers to the game as well. With devilish speed and attacking stats, the only things that can feasibly take it on are faster mons like Tapu Koko and strong priority moves.

Gliscor is a face that somehow always crops up in the meta, and for good reason. The ToxOrb + Poison Heal combo can give this thing a pretty long life, and damn me if it isn't fun to stall things out with Batma-- I mean Gliscor.

Chansey is here because nothing outclasses it as a Sp Wall. If you're trying to kill this thing with special attacks, it'd take longer than rewriting the dictionary.

The only real reason I picked Zapdos is because of its ability to using Defog. I don't have a real connection to Zapdos as a Pokemon, but it works well for its role.

The Team

Infernape (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- U-turn
This is a pretty standard Nape set, but I don't think Choice Band is very common for this Pokemon. I picked Band because Infernape is already pretty frail, so LO damage can kill him pretty quickly when added with the recoil from Blitz. Flare Blitz and Close Combat are pretty staple for Nape, both of them being incredibly powerful STAB moves. Mach Punch gets a boost from Iron Fist, and U-Turn allows Infernape to grab a quick kill and get out, solidifying his role as a revenge killer. Max Atk and Spd EVs are obvious, and I chose Jolly over Adamant because the Choice Band is there for the attack boost anyway.

Scizor-Mega (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Roost
As stated above, SD and BP are all you need to be a pretty potent sweeper. However, a lot of mons in OU resist or even quad-resist Bullet Punch and Bug Bite, so I usually bring Scizor out once those threats are dealt with. 252 Atk is obvious, but I'm not so sure about max HP EVs. I invested there instead of Speed because I don't really think Scizor's gonna be outspeeding anything. Roost helps against anything that can't 2HKO, allowing Scizor to set up pretty easily.

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Water Shuriken
The only offensive Sp. Attacker on the team, which I feel may be a problem. Fully investing in SpA and Spd is pretty common for Greninja sets. Hydro Pump is the attack I'm using a lot, having high base power and being STAB. Dark Pulse is another STAB, Ice Beam kills Gliscor, Landorus, and Zygarde, and Water Shuriken is some pretty good priority. Gren's biggest check from the playtesting I've had is Koko, who beats the poor frog in literally every match-up.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
Obligatory Stealth Rocker, and pretty standard set in general. Toxic allows Gliscor to wear down big threats, and EQ is powerful STAB. Max HP and Def makes him my main physical wall, and he's pretty amazing at it as long as he doesn't get hit by any stray Ice Punches. Biggest problem to Gliscor is that he can't do anything to Celesteela and Skarmory, which might be pretty important. Also, ToxOrb + Poison Heal is standard on every Gliscor, let's be real here.

Chansey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Wish
- Heal Bell
Honestly, this mon is the MVP of this team. I've had entire games where people set up with their Sp Attackers, only for Chansey to eat their attacks like it's nothing. I can't really decide between Leftovers and Eviolite, but I picked the former since Chansey doesn't really need any more Sp. Def anyway. Seismic Toss is the only attacking move that this mon can use to actually deal damage, but most of the pain is gonna come from that Toxic. Heal Bell allows Chansey to heal any annoying status conditions on the team, which might actually be pretty bad for Gliscor, but I don't think it's that important. I'm still iffy on Wish over Soft-boiled though, but I picked the former so that Chansey can act as a cleric for the rest of the team.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost
The only real reason Zapdos is on the team is because I needed hazard removal. I thought about using Skar instead, but then Greninja would be the only Sp Atk mon on the team so I decided against it. I'm not very familiar with using Zapdos, so my EV spread could probably use some work. Discharge is here for STAB and potential para hax, and Heat Wave can take care of Ferrothorn and Scizor when I feel like saving Nape. Finally, Roost is here to give Zapdos some recovery midfight.

Conclusion

And that's the team! I am well aware that it's pretty flawed, but that's why I posted it here. Excited to hear what I can tweak to make this team work better.

Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Water Shuriken

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Chansey (F) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Wish
- Heal Bell

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

If you really want Leftovers you should use Blissey over Chansey. The only advantage Chansey has is the ability to run Eviolite.
Don‘t really know about the rest since I don‘t really play OU, that was just the thing I noticed.

Introduction

Hey! I am very new to the USUM meta, as I have just recently gotten back into competitive battling and even Pokemon in general. This is the first team I built after returning, and while I enjoy it a lot, is has quite a few flaws that usually end up giving me losses (mainly bulky water types like Swamp and Gastro, things that can kill my defensive mons, and Tapu Koko/Lele). Would love to hear what tweaks can be made.

Teambuilding Process

Infernape is my fave mon, and he's one of the most fun attackers to use. Staple moves like FB and CC can nuke some mons in a single hit, and his biggest weakness is not being as fast as I think he should be.

In my opinion, Scizor is one of the coolest looking Megas in the game. Stack a few SDs and Bullet Punch can take care of anything that doesn't resist it.

I'll admit, the anime is the reason Greninja is such a badass for me. But, that badassery transfers to the game as well. With devilish speed and attacking stats, the only things that can feasibly take it on are faster mons like Tapu Koko and strong priority moves.

Gliscor is a face that somehow always crops up in the meta, and for good reason. The ToxOrb + Poison Heal combo can give this thing a pretty long life, and damn me if it isn't fun to stall things out with Batma-- I mean Gliscor.

Chansey is here because nothing outclasses it as a Sp Wall. If you're trying to kill this thing with special attacks, it'd take longer than rewriting the dictionary.

The only real reason I picked Zapdos is because of its ability to using Defog. I don't have a real connection to Zapdos as a Pokemon, but it works well for its role.

The Team

Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- U-turn
This is a pretty standard Nape set, but I don't think Choice Band is very common for this Pokemon. I picked Band because Infernape is already pretty frail, so LO damage can kill him pretty quickly when added with the recoil from Blitz. Flare Blitz and Close Combat are pretty staple for Nape, both of them being incredibly powerful STAB moves. Mach Punch gets a boost from Iron Fist, and U-Turn allows Infernape to grab a quick kill and get out, solidifying his role as a revenge killer. Max Atk and Spd EVs are obvious, and I chose Jolly over Adamant because the Choice Band is there for the attack boost anyway.

Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Roost
As stated above, SD and BP are all you need to be a pretty potent sweeper. However, a lot of mons in OU resist or even quad-resist Bullet Punch and Bug Bite, so I usually bring Scizor out once those threats are dealt with. 252 Atk is obvious, but I'm not so sure about max HP EVs. I invested there instead of Speed because I don't really think Scizor's gonna be outspeeding anything. Roost helps against anything that can't 2HKO, allowing Scizor to set up pretty easily.

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Water Shuriken
The only offensive Sp. Attacker on the team, which I feel may be a problem. Fully investing in SpA and Spd is pretty common for Greninja sets. Hydro Pump is the attack I'm using a lot, having high base power and being STAB. Dark Pulse is another STAB, Ice Beam kills Gliscor, Landorus, and Zygarde, and Water Shuriken is some pretty good priority. Gren's biggest check from the playtesting I've had is Koko, who beats the poor frog in literally every match-up.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
Obligatory Stealth Rocker, and pretty standard set in general. Toxic allows Gliscor to wear down big threats, and EQ is powerful STAB. Max HP and Def makes him my main physical wall, and he's pretty amazing at it as long as he doesn't get hit by any stray Ice Punches. Biggest problem to Gliscor is that he can't do anything to Celesteela and Skarmory, which might be pretty important. Also, ToxOrb + Poison Heal is standard on every Gliscor, let's be real here.

Chansey (F) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Wish
- Heal Bell
Honestly, this mon is the MVP of this team. I've had entire games where people set up with their Sp Attackers, only for Chansey to eat their attacks like it's nothing. I can't really decide between Leftovers and Eviolite, but I picked the former since Chansey doesn't really need any more Sp. Def anyway. Seismic Toss is the only attacking move that this mon can use to actually deal damage, but most of the pain is gonna come from that Toxic. Heal Bell allows Chansey to heal any annoying status conditions on the team, which might actually be pretty bad for Gliscor, but I don't think it's that important. I'm still iffy on Wish over Soft-boiled though, but I picked the former so that Chansey can act as a cleric for the rest of the team.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost
The only real reason Zapdos is on the team is because I needed hazard removal. I thought about using Skar instead, but then Greninja would be the only Sp Atk mon on the team so I decided against it. I'm not very familiar with using Zapdos, so my EV spread could probably use some work. Discharge is here for STAB and potential para hax, and Heat Wave can take care of Ferrothorn and Scizor when I feel like saving Nape. Finally, Roost is here to give Zapdos some recovery midfight.

Conclusion

And that's the team! I am well aware that it's pretty flawed, but that's why I posted it here. Excited to hear what I can tweak to make this team work better.

Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Water Shuriken

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Chansey (F) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Wish
- Heal Bell

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost
The eviolite is usually for a defense boost actually which is why chansey needs eviolite and a bold nature to not immediately die to a physical hit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)