First Attempt at Battle

Alright, so I've been experimenting with Competitive battling for a while, and recently attempted to build my first serious team. I'd like to stress right now that I'm an amateur at best, so I didn't throw this together with too much of an objective so much as trying to fill roles. Any suggestions are plenty welcome.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic

Pretty standard Mega-saur set. Bulky Special Attacker, helps with absorbing status, and deals pretty well I've found with Bulky Waters and a back up Burn Absorber. I chose Toxic over Synthesis since I've had more trouble with Stall Mons than I care to admit, and Giga Drain tends to provide the healing he needs to survive what I need him for.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

Now this thing has been a surprising MVP for me. Clear intent: switch it into Dragon attacks baited by Zygarde, choiced resistances, or just weaker coverage moves, and begin to Calm Mind. What seems to help especially is this thing works against Dragonite, which would normally make set-up bait of Mega-Saur. If Saur draws it out early, Clefable comes in on the Dragon Dances and sets up alongside it. I've found most players assume Magic Guard if I bring it in with no hazards, so the opponent keeps setting up and I net more CM's. Once Clefable gets a few boosts, it almost always nets me at least one kill.

EVs dedicated to Physical Bulk, since most sweepers I bring it into are Physical and it can heal with Moonlight. STAB and Fire Blast to cover Steel types, though Fire types, particularly Heatran, present an obvious problem.

Zygarde @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Pretty typical Zygarde set as well. Coil up given the chance, and use Extremespeed to cover Speed differences. I chose Coil over DD since Zygarde usually can't get too many boosts, and I appreciate the greater Physical survivability over a speed boost that still can't beat a lot of Scarfers, not to mention stray Ice Shards. Lum Berry lets me grab a Boost on attempts to status him, and that tends to be all it needs to clean up.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 192 HP / 4 Def / 252 Atk / 60 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Talonflame in it's one role: Killing itself and others. EVs maximize power, outspend Jolly Excadrill, and dump most of the rest into HP to offset recoil.

I used to run Swords Dance, but I found most times I got Talonflame in, it was for a RK, and it's checks/counters weren't down yet, so the set-up didn't help too much. Tailwind in the last slot to speed up the others for a sweep if he's on his last leg.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Ah, Excadrill. An old favorite of mine finally allowed back in OU, and he made it onto the team. Gives me a way to either lay rocks or remove them, and he's immune to Thunder Wave and Toxic, so little to worry about for hazards. Spinning SR is obviously important for Talonflame, but it also helps at bluffing Magic Guard on Clefable.

Pseudo EdgeQuake coverage so I can fit RS and Stealth Rock on the same set, and the Balloon minimizes hazard damage, since I mainly bring him in for forced switches, I worry more over passive damage on him.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect

And last is Vaporeon. I debated whether I wanted a full cleric or just a Bulky Defensive Mon, and ultimately decided Vaporeon would fit either or for my team, since Venusaur already covers its weaknesses, and Thick Fat alleviates a few switch-ins that could wear Vap. down.

Maximize physical bulk and Wishes, Toxic for stalling, Scald to avoid Taunt bait and discourage Physical Attacker switch-ins, and Protect so it can Wish itself.

I've debated Baton Pass to get Wishes to other Mons easier, but I'm debating how well that would work for this team. I need Vaporeon alive to get Wishes at all, and if it can't heal itself, I can't guarantee longevity. Also been debating Heal Bell.

So that's my first attempt at an OU team. Whether by effectiveness, dumb luck, or both, I have gotten to at least 1450 with this team. Thoughts welcome, I'm hoping to get into this game.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Your team looks fairly good to me, but i would suggest a few changes. Firstly, Venusaur can use a bit less EVs in Spa and more in Def, SpD, or both, and still retains the ability to hit hard and now can take a few more hits. Your Clefable looks fine to me(but i am no expert, so maybe someone better can tell you more about it). I will only say that maybe it should have a bit more SpD, what with the rise of Sludge Bomb becuase of the poison chance, but that's just me. You mentioned in your Clefable analysis that it comes in on stray Outrages, yet your Zygarde itself has Outrage as well, and your opponent can do the same by taking the opportunity. It's a shame that besides Outrage, Dragon Tail is it's only physical dragon STAB, but after a Coil that's a decent move as well, while also phazing a the same time. Roost would be better on Talonflame in place of Tailwind to make for the recoil from its primary STABs. Excadrill looks good as well. I'll suggest using Suicune in place of Vaporeon as it can take physical hits just as well. But if you do want to use Vaporeon, Heal Bell would be better in place of Toxic or Protect. That's all i can i say and i am no expert, so someone better than will be able to give a better rating.

Your team looks fairly good to me, but i would suggest a few changes. Firstly, Venusaur can use a bit less EVs in Spa and more in Def, SpD, or both, and still retains the ability to hit hard and now can take a few more hits. Your Clefable looks fine to me(but i am no expert, so maybe someone better can tell you more about it). I will only say that maybe it should have a bit more SpD, what with the rise of Sludge Bomb becuase of the poison chance, but that's just me. You mentioned in your Clefable analysis that it comes in on stray Outrages, yet your Zygarde itself has Outrage as well, and your opponent can do the same by taking the opportunity. It's a shame that besides Outrage, Dragon Tail is it's only physical dragon STAB, but after a Coil that's a decent move as well, while also phazing a the same time. Roost would be better on Talonflame in place of Tailwind to make for the recoil from its primary STABs. Excadrill looks good as well. I'll suggest using Suicune in place of Vaporeon as it can take physical hits just as well. But if you do want to use Vaporeon, Heal Bell would be better in place of Toxic or Protect. That's all i can i say and i am no expert, so someone better than will be able to give a better rating.
On each point

-Venusaur: I can see what you mean, but I'm debating where to put the EVs in that case, and if I make him more defensive, I may drop Toxic for Synthesis again.

- Clefable: Calm Mind tends to be how I cover Sp. Def, and while I said Outrage, it was more the first that came to mind. Typically Dragon moves in general provide free switches.

- Zygarde: I'm considering dropping Outrage for Stone Edge, since Coil fixes the Accuracy and Zygarde is walled by decently bulky Levitate or Flying Types. On the other hand, Outrage is his most powerful move.
--I could use another Dragon Set-Up sweeper, but I prefer Zygarde's more consistent bulk (Multiscale breaks). If someone wants to recommend such a change, I'd just need an explanation for the comparison.

-Talonflame: I don't see why to use Roost on a Choiced set. Tailwind is sort of a last-ditch move before it dies.

-Vaporeon: Suicune would certainly be a bulkier mon, but one reason I chose Vaporeon is for Wish (and maybe now Heal Bell), which Suicune can't do as well. I'm not sure if my team is better off with a Cleric (might change Vaporeon for one admittedly) or just a plain Bulky Water.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)