Monotype [Fighting HO] Local Chicken Lets Monk Kick Faster

The Team building Process

I just started playing Monotype for the first time and decided to make a team using a pokemon that I thought could allow fighting to overcome a lot of unwinnable situations: Combusken. This team was inspired by how dangerous Mega-Medicham is with +1 or even +2 speed.

This team started with

This was the offensive core this team started with as explained above, then I needed a SR setter for the team so I decided cobalion because its ability to beat fairies and as a more defensive switch-in or sacrifice.

Then I generally just grabbed some mons that seemed like they could add offensive pressure, there are not too many options for fighting types.

As I gained a bit more knowledge about the metagame I decided that even though I could pass speed I needed a scarf mon so I dropped Infernape for Terrakion. Then later since Terrakion could use Iron Head dropped Cobalion for a lead Infernape set.

The Team!

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Its Sash Terrakion it sets up SR and does other stuff good too. This thing is my 1 out against Mega Diancie by tricking it with Sash then smacking it with iron head. While its not much its better than nothing. Unfortunately this meant giving up Swords Dance which would have been very useful but since this is a HO team and Combusken already giving the opponent free turns as is and Terrakion is usually not going to get a chance to set-up SD I opted for Iron Head instead.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Scarf Terrakion revenges kills a large variety of pokemon t be honest not much else to this one. It also can function as an alternative win con. against Fire or Dark teams if Combusken gets KOed.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch

This is a fairly standard wallbreaker set for Mega-Medicham, I opted for Psycho Cut for the reliable accuracy since setting up with Combusken does take time and its only purpose is to allow Medicham to sweep a poison or fighting team reliably.

Combusken @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

Its only real purpose of protect and sub is to stall until I get a speed boost. Since this team doesn't have any real defensive synergy to speak Combusken is built to slow baton pass +1 boosts to the rest of the team. Honestly I've tried fast pass and it doesn't allow Combusken to shine against teams that Fighting struggles against like flying unlike slow pass. Will-o-Wisp allows Combusken to cripple strong STAB users or wear down strong switch-ins.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Infernape sets SR hits something and then dies. I decided to go for a purely special set since without LO Infernape lacks power and needs full investment in either special or physical attacking to work. Sometimes if I'm facing an opposing team that SR wouldn't be useful against or Infernape could sweep easily I save Infernape in the wings instead of leading with it.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Heracross is here to cover the massive weakness this team has to Psychic types. Megahorn hits them hard and it has scarf so it can outspeed any unscarfed mon in the metagame. I chose Moxie instead of guts since this team is HO and by using Moxie I can continue to apply pressure with Heracross even after it defeats its RK target. Heracross is still kinda slow for a scarfer but the only faster mon that really concerns me is scarf jirachi since zen headbutt can tear my team apart with a bit of luck.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword

It's Choice Specs Keldeo, It hits things hard and if given a +1 boost from Combusken it can sweep without even worrying about revenge killers as long as it hits everything on the opposing team at least neutrally.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

A very standard Sash Breloom set can operate well as a lead and is just a generally difficult Pokemon to switch into. Breloom is probably appreciates Combusken's support as much as Medicham since at +1 Jolly Breloom can outspeed a large amount of the unboosted metagame which means it usually will get on guaranteed spore in and probably KO at least one mon before its taken down. Spore while kinda boring helps to force switchs on my opponents most dangerous mons and by using rock tomb I can usuaully put on Mon to sleep and the KO another by outspeeding it at -1.

What this Team Struggles Against
This Team Struggles very heavily against bulky psychic types since all of my fighting types lack a Dark Type move to counter there is usually no way to win against a bulky psychic team without simply overpowering them.

This team also struggles against Fairy types as all fighting teams but not nearly as much against bulky psychic teams.

Thanks for Reading and have a great day!

Edit: I forgot to put in the Importable Sorry

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Medicham @ Medichamite
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch

Combusken @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

Last edited:
The Team building Process

I just started playing Monotype for the first time and decided to make a team using a pokemon that I thought could allow fighting to overcome a lot of unwinnable situations: Combusken. This team was inspired by how dangerous Mega-Medicham is with +1 or even +2 speed.

This team started with

This was the offensive core this team started with as explained above, then I needed a SR setter for the team so I decided cobalion because its ability to beat fairies and as a more defensive switch-in or sacrifice.

Then I generally just grabbed some mons that seemed like they could add offensive pressure, there are not too many options for fighting types.

As I gained a bit more knowledge about the metagame I decided that even though I could pass speed I needed a scarf mon so I dropped Infernape for Terrakion. Then later since Terrakion could use Iron Head dropped Cobalion for a lead Infernape set.

The Team!

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Scarf Terrakion revenges kills a large variety of pokemon t be honest not much else to this one. It also can function as an alternative win con. against Fire or Dark teams if Combusken gets KOed.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch

This is a fairly standard wallbreaker set for Mega-Medicham, I opted for Psycho Cut for the reliable accuracy since setting up with Combusken does take time and its only purpose is to allow Medicham to sweep a poison or fighting team reliably.

Combusken @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

Its only real purpose of protect and sub is to stall until I get a speed boost. Since this team doesn't have any real defensive synergy to speak Combusken is built to slow baton pass +1 boosts to the rest of the team. Honestly I've tried fast pass and it doesn't allow Combusken to shine against teams that Fighting struggles against like flying unlike slow pass. Will-o-Wisp allows Combusken to cripple strong STAB users or wear down strong switch-ins.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Infernape sets SR hits something and then dies. I decided to go for a purely special set since without LO Infernape lacks power and needs full investment in either special or physical attacking to work. Sometimes if I'm facing an opposing team that SR wouldn't be useful against or Infernape could sweep easily I save Infernape in the wings instead of leading with it.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword

It's Choice Specs Keldeo, It hits things hard and if given a +1 boost from Combusken it can sweep without even worrying about revenge killers as long as it hits everything on the opposing team at least neutrally.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

A very standard Sash Breloom set can operate well as a lead and is just a generally difficult Pokemon to switch into. Breloom is probably appreciates Combusken's support as much as Medicham since at +1 Jolly Breloom can outspeed a large amount of the unboosted metagame which means it usually will get on guaranteed spore in and probably KO at least one mon before its taken down.

What this Team Struggles Against
This Team Struggles very heavily against bulky psychic types since all of my fighting types lack a Dark Type move to counter there is usually no way to win against a bulky psychic team without simply overpowering them.

This team also struggles against Fairy types as all fighting teams but not nearly as much against bulky psychic teams.

Thanks for Reading and have a great day!
Hey man, I think you have a pretty cool team! I have a couple suggestions tho thatll make it that much better!

First off, I wanna touch up on your Psychic weakness. I'd reccomend replacing Breloom with Heracross. Heracross is one of the best checks you can get for Psychic teams, with scarf outspeeding everything bar Victini.

Next, I would replace Infernape with Offensive Lead Cobalion. Why? Well nor only can it facilitate your Fairy matchup a tad, but it can also be a surprise to a lot of unprepared teams, most notably Flying. I'm on mobile, so I can't paste the import, but the set is LO with SR, Flash Cannon, Volt Switch, and HP Ice/Stone Edge.

Lastly, Id reccomend Thunder Punch over Ice Punch on Medicham. Right now Slowbro gives your team trouble, and this allows Medicham to hit it and 2KO. It also allows it to hit Gyarados super effectively prior to Mega Evolution, which can come as a surprise to it.

Other than that, I think your team is very creative, props to you on that, and GL! :)

Haii, i'll give you a rate.

First of all i like the core you started with. BP Speed Fighting seems a underated and cool idea on the sheets. But your team still a bit weak to some types and i think you can improve it.

I personally don't like Lead Nape on Fighting, and droping Cobalion means you will struggle with Fairies. Lacking Heracross is also a problem since you have nothing to deal with Psychic. Here's the changes i propose to u :

Combusken @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

Medicham @ Medichamite
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Zen Headbutt / Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch / Thunder Punch

Terrakion @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock / Substitute

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge / Earthquake

Let's explain this :

- Zen Headbutt > Psycho Cut on Megcham, logic, it's Heavy Offense.
- I Changed Terrakion to Stealth Rocks + SD since you lack Infernape/Cobalion, it's needed for Fighting. It also break some types, specially balanced Flying w/ Keldeo and Megcham support.
- Since you lack Scarf i put Heracross Moxie as scarf, it helps your team to beat Psychic, Flying and other types.

Other changes you can try is : Running Terrakion Scarf w/ Stealth Rock on EQ + Running Band Heracross Guts w/ Earthquake. Or Band Terrakion w/ Stealth Rock. Or drop Breloom and run Cobalion Lead (like dat stunny said), then change Terrakion to Sub SD or Band.

hope i helped u :)

Hey man, I think you have a pretty cool team! I have a couple suggestions tho thatll make it that much better!

First off, I wanna touch up on your Psychic weakness. I'd reccomend replacing Breloom with Heracross. Heracross is one of the best checks you can get for Psychic teams, with scarf outspeeding everything bar Victini.

Next, I would replace Infernape with Offensive Lead Cobalion. Why? Well nor only can it facilitate your Fairy matchup a tad, but it can also be a surprise to a lot of unprepared teams, most notably Flying. I'm on mobile, so I can't paste the import, but the set is LO with SR, Flash Cannon, Volt Switch, and HP Ice/Stone Edge.

Lastly, Id reccomend Thunder Punch over Ice Punch on Medicham. Right now Slowbro gives your team trouble, and this allows Medicham to hit it and 2KO. It also allows it to hit Gyarados super effectively prior to Mega Evolution, which can come as a surprise to it.

Other than that, I think your team is very creative, props to you on that, and GL! :)

Haii, i'll give you a rate.

First of all i like the core you started with. BP Speed Fighting seems a underated and cool idea on the sheets. But your team still a bit weak to some types and i think you can improve it.

I personally don't like Lead Nape on Fighting, and droping Cobalion means you will struggle with Fairies. Lacking Heracross is also a problem since you have nothing to deal with Psychic. Here's the changes i propose to u :

Combusken @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

Medicham @ Medichamite
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Zen Headbutt / Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch / Thunder Punch

Terrakion @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock / Substitute

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge / Earthquake

Let's explain this :

- Zen Headbutt > Psycho Cut on Megcham, logic, it's Heavy Offense.
- I Changed Terrakion to Stealth Rocks + SD since you lack Infernape/Cobalion, it's needed for Fighting. It also break some types, specially balanced Flying w/ Keldeo and Megcham support.
- Since you lack Scarf i put Heracross Moxie as scarf, it helps your team to beat Psychic, Flying and other types.

Other changes you can try is : Running Terrakion Scarf w/ Stealth Rock on EQ + Running Band Heracross Guts w/ Earthquake. Or Band Terrakion w/ Stealth Rock. Or drop Breloom and run Cobalion Lead (like dat stunny said), then change Terrakion to Sub SD or Band.

hope i helped u :)
Thanks for the reccomendation! Heracross has already proved its usefulness on multiple occasions and while I haven't faced a psychic type in the ladder since adopting it, it definitely has done a lot of good work. While I tried lead Cobalion for a bit it just doesn't do enough damage to justify the slot over something like Terrakion which has offensive pressure no matter what its holding also pivoting doesn't work for this team because whatever Cobalion pivots into is going to die. Flying has never been a type I've really felt pressure from though I haven't faced a tailwind team yet so take that as you will. I can't justify dropping Breloom either as it allows me to threaten the #1 pokemon I can't deal with on any given team and most any given time such as during a recent match I had against a steel team with Duoblade without Breloom I would have had no outs to Duoblade and would have lost a match-up I should've won. I decided to switch Terrakion to a SR Sash Set under your advice since I still need a SR setter and since Ape's gone Terrakion has a new job to fulfill. While it does mean I lose to Scarfers at base 100 or higher it is a sacrifice I'm willing to make to keep both Breloom and SR.

Also here's a cool replay of my HO fighting team using Combusken to beat Mono-Water Rain a matchup that I believe regular HO fighting has no chance of winning.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-446864063 (Also shows some terrible plays on my part but in my defense who the hell uses Sap Sipper Azumarill)

So if you wanna see the changes I made in full I'm going to edit the OP to inlcude them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)