SS OU Falink's Awakening (ft. Falinks)

Hello everyone! This is the one-and-only christopher_ 1942 here!

Last night, I've constructed a team based around the new, lovable Pokemon in the Galar region. The Pokemon's name is Falinks. Its concept is clever and its PokeDex entry says they rely on teamwork to win. So, using all the knowledge available, here's the team featuring Falinks and its partners that'll help support it all the way to victory!

First, let's start with the main protagonist:
Falinks.png

Falinks
Nature: Jolly
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Ability: Defiant
Held Item: Lum Berry
Close Combat
Throat Chop
Poison Jab
No Retreat

The captain of the tribe with its comrades by its side, even in the mightiest of dangers it'll never surrender! Failure is not an option when this brave Pokemon is around. This Pokemon plays the role as a late-game sweeper when the time's right. When the opposing team is weakened or whenever there's an opening, Falinks goes in with a No Retreat and finishes enemies off with its priority of moves. Lum Berry was chosen over Life Orb and Expert Belt because I don't want it to become crippled and its sweeping sensation ruined. Lum Berry has proven to be a very efficient item for offensive plays as it catches other Trainers off-guard.

Close Combat is always a priority for a full-on offense. Without it, how can it sweep? Throat Chop is chosen because I've read this Pokemon has great trouble over the likes of Aegislash, Corsola, Dusclops and Dusknoir. Zen Headbutt would be selected for other Fighting-types but that's where Hattarene comes in. Lastly, Poison Jab is to take on Fairy and Grass users, especially Sylveon, Shiinotic, Magic Guard Clefable and Appletun.

The captain may be a powerful underdog to watch out for, but it has its drawbacks. Fairy and Flying types such as Life Orb Mimikyu, Corviknight, Braviary, Mandibuzz and Gyarados can stop this Pokemon dead on its tracks. Which is why it is important to save No Retreat for later as the Pokemon can't escape when used. Once the captain goes down, the team's morale would plummet. That is the scenario that must be avoided at all costs.

Hatterene.png

Hatterene
Nature: Bold
IVs: 31/0/31/31/31/31
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Def
Ability: Magic Bounce
Held Item: Leftovers
Psychic
Draining Kiss
Mystical Fire
Calm Mind

The great and powerful Hatterene is here! This Pokemon serves as Falinks' best partner with her stupendous Magic Guard ability and typing as she takes the role as an anti-stall Calm Mind sweeper. When she's out, all plans for setting up entry hazards and stalling from the opposing side will be nullified. For example, Toxapex plans to set up Toxic Spikes, but Hatterene pulls up a stop sign bringing the spikes back to its own side and after that, the Pokemon would be like, "****". That's what makes this Pokemon so awesome.

After setting up a few Calm Minds, Hatterene goes in on the attack with a powerful Psychic blast and Draining Kiss for more HP recovery since Leftovers may not be fast enough to keep her healthy. For more type coverage, Mystical Fires sends Steel, Bug, Ice and Grass types such as Ferrothorn, Frosmoth, Steelix and Bronzong packing as long as she doesn't suffer a big hit from them. Did you know? Famous magicians use fire tricks to bring a spectacular show to the audience.

Due to her sluggish Speed, Hatterene is easily outsped, making the likes of Mimikyu, Gengar, Copperajah, Duraludon and even Steelix key threats to this one. One big hit from any of them can bring her show to an abrupt end when not switched out. To avoid that from happening, Hattrene sometimes pulls out a rabbit from her hat...and that rabbit is none other than...

Cinderace.jpg

Cinderace
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Ability: Blaze
Held Item: Choice Scarf
Pyro Ball
Gunk Shot
Hi-Jump Kick
U-Turn

Ta-dah! Cinderace! It's no ordinary rabbit! It is the most foul, cruel and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on! This Pokemon plays the role as a revenge sweeper with its Choice Scarf usage and raw power whenever a Pokemon faints or faced with a specific opponent. Adamant was chosen over Jolly because Cinderace needs as much kicking power as possible to win.

Pyro Ball is a fun move to use since it delivers powerful shots to its opponents' faces. Now all we need is someone to yell "GOAL!" whenever it scores a KO. Gunk Shot I won't explain the backstory on how it works but I do know is to take on Fairy-types. Not to mention it leaves poisonous stains on defensive Pokemon. Hi-Jump Kick although very risky, it kicks Normal, Dark and Rock types such as Obstagoon, Scrafty and Drednaw down to the floor. Lastly, U-Turn is to deal damage and switch out, stopping Focus Sash users on whatever strategy they come up with.

Gyarados, Golisopod, Gigalith, Rhyperior, Coalossal and other Scarf users who outspeed all stand an easy chance against Cinderace since its kinda like a glass cannon. It hits hard but when it misses, it can be game over for it. It also doesn't have a good amount of PP, leaving it completely dangerous to those with Pressure such as Corviknight. It all comes down to when is the best time to send this Pyro balling player out onto the pitch. Wide Lens could be a viable option to increase the accuracy of its moves but it'll miss out on all the additional speed.

Corviknight.jpg

Corviknight
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/20 Def/236 Sp.Def
Ability: Pressure
Held Item: Leftovers
Drill Peck
Body Press/Steel Wing
Defog
Roost

This Pokemon never fails to impress us with its Defog support and bulk. The Skarmory of the Galar region is known to remove any kind of hazard danger on its side of the field. I consider the specially-defensive moveset to be the best one since the team already has Corsola. You know what they say: An all-rounded team is the way to go.

Drill Peck is chosen over Brave Bird because I don't want it to suffer from recoil damage too much. After all, too many Brave Birds can tire Corviknight out completely. The second move could either be Body Press or Steel Wing. Body Press to take on the likes of Tyranitar, Ferrothorn and again, Obstagoon while Steel Wing takes care of dangerous Fairy-types such as the popular Mimikyu. It's all about preparing for the worst-case scenarios depending on the team. Defog clears away all entry hazards, keeping the other team members safe and Roost to let it play the long game. A good move to use when it has Pressure as its ability.

Unfortunately, strong Fire and Electric types such as Centiskorch, Arcanine, Morpeko, Coalossal, Toxtricity and those who learn those type of moves can fry Corviknight. Rotom-W is capable of resisting Fire-type moves but Electric-types are gonna be quite the challenge since there are no one who can handle them. Another nasty strategy to watch out for it Trick and Taunt users such as Grimmsnarl. Once they happen, Corviknight would become crippled and unable to support the whole team.

Galarian Corsola.jpg

Corsola
Nature: Bold
IVs: 31/0/31/x/31/31
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Def
Ability: Cursed Body
Held Item: Eviolite
Night Shade
Will-O-Wisp
Stealth Rock
Strength Sap

The original idea was to have Runerigus in the team due to its Electric-type resistance and phazing along with Stealth Rock support. However, it doesn't have as much recovery as Corsola so this Pokemon's the better option when it comes to physical bulk. I'm absolutely surprised to see Corsola, an entirely forgettable Pokemon in the previous generations to finally take the spotlight as one of the best walls in the game. It's haunting to think the Pokemon came a long way with its new evolution.

It doesn't have to worry about how much power it has since Night Shade does fixed damage. Good for taking on opponents no matter how much bulk they have. Will-O-Wisp is to stop physical attackers who do not have Guts from having too much fun, Stealth Rock is for giving its other teammates the upper hand and Strength Sap is to drain the physical strength of opponents and convert it into HP. Strength Sap is so good since it completely wears down Pokemon. It's like they cannot grasp the true power of Corsola.

Despite being a superb physical wall and Eviolite is its main strong point. Corsola's completely vulnerable without the item. All that extra bulk would be gone and special sweepers such as Dragapult, Gengar, Shadow Ball Hatterene and Frosmoth can make it go into a deep sleep. Taunt users and Trick users can cripple it entirely such as what I mentioned when discussing Corviknight several lines above and Guts Obstagoon when burned, can WHACK it down with Knock Offs and Throat Chops. Shed Skin Dragon Dance/Bulk Up Scraftys are also a concern when Corsola's out on the field as they can get rid of the burns and fight back with their Dark-type moves.

Rotom-W.png

Rotom-W
Nature: Timid
IVs: 31/0/31/31/31/31
EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe
Ability: Levitate
Held Item: Expert Belt
Hydro Pump
Volt Switch
Hex
Thunder Wave

I was in that situation when I had to think hard on what the last team member would be. The team needed something to take on the likes of Gyarados and has good resistances against Rain Dance teams. It was tricky finding what Pokemon best suits the role until I came across Rotom-W. It has good resistance and gives good helping hands to other teammates with its variety of moves. The item it would hold was also a real brainteaser but I went with Expert Belt to boost super-effective moves.

Hydro Pump and Volt Switch are its best moves thanks to its typing to when it comes to delivering heavy washouts to opponents and scouting away for another team member, specifically Falinks or Hatterene to prepare for whatever's coming next. Now for the other 2 moves, I've gone for Thunder Wave and Hex. The reason is because Thunder Wave can cut the Speed of fast brutes such as Dragapult and retaliate with Hex which doubles in power when the Pokemon has a status condition. I've seen in Ranked Battles that Hex does play a good and unexpected role in some teams so I wonder if that same thing applies to 6-on-6 battles. Sometimes innovation can be the key to success.

Water Absorb Seismitoad and Quagsire are the two Pokemon that can completely wall this Pokemon no matter what. Both are known to be the banes of Rotom-W. Not only that, Grass-types such as Appletun, Vileplume, Rillaboom and strong Choice Specs users like Dragapult and Hydreigon can OHKO it with a heavy hit. The Pokemon is know to have more physical defense than special defense and that could be a problem when it comes to facing threats like those.

Overall Team Review
Overall, I think this team has a lot of potential with its balance and strategies but still need some more work to become even stronger with Falinks as the main focus. When it comes down to it, I'd say the top threats the team has to watch out for are Dragapults and Mimikyus. Dragapults are the fastest Dragon-type Pokemon in the game and they do hit hard with physical or special moves. Not even Hatterene can have an easy time with them. Mimikyus on the other hand are a whole different story. With their Disguise ability, they can easily set up a Swords Dance and wail on the team members with their STAB moves. They proved to be very dangerous in both Ranked Battles and 6-on-6s. Steel Wing Corviknight might take them down but it has to take a +2 Shadow Claw or Shadow Sneak first before retaliating.

So, what do you think? Are there any major and minor changes I need to make to improve this team? Please let me know. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day and keep battling to your heart's content! ;)

Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/5XKP43ZR

A few things:
Hatterene might be useful to you with Trick Room, as it lets you flip the tables on offensive teams, at the cost of recovery or coverage.
Cinderace already has a pretty nutty speed tier, so having Scarf on it is kinda eh. The only relevant mons that are faster are Dugtrio (you have U-turn) and Dragapult, who kinda destroys your whole team ATM, but Cinderace can't really do anything about. Try Banded instead to patch up its middling damage.
Corv gets Iron Head which is strictly better than Steel Wing. I would go for it over Body Press so LO Clef doesn't rip your team apart, and the mons you target with Body Press aren't an issue to Falinks anyway. Corv has Roost, so it doesn't have to care about Brave Bird recoil, and the added power is massive.
Corsola-G is sadly in the wrong tier. It's great on paper, but basically the entire of OU takes a dump on it. Dragapult and Hydreigon use it as setup fodder, Mandibuzz clears its rocks with ease, Clef doesn't even care it exists, it loses to other walls like Pex and Ferro 1v1, and let's not even mention Specs Ageislash, Taunt users, Knock Off... If you need a bulky wall that sets rocks, you could try Toad if you hate Vish.
Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earthquake
Or if you need something that beats things not called Vish, there's always Ferro and Pex. You could also try defensive Clef or Sylveon if you want Wish passing and a Pult check. If you just really need a long-term Ghost, use Sub Disable Hex Dragapult. It's terrifying, especially if you can get a teammate to join in the status spread.
Rather than Rotom-W, try Rotom-M or Rotom-H. Rotom-W is hard to use RN due to Toad being everywhere. The other two fare far better RN.
Hopefully someone can finish the job here, but that's all I have to say. Do feel free to ask anything and I'll help as best as I can.

A few things:
Hatterene might be useful to you with Trick Room, as it lets you flip the tables on offensive teams, at the cost of recovery or coverage.
Cinderace already has a pretty nutty speed tier, so having Scarf on it is kinda eh. The only relevant mons that are faster are Dugtrio (you have U-turn) and Dragapult, who kinda destroys your whole team ATM, but Cinderace can't really do anything about. Try Banded instead to patch up its middling damage.
Corv gets Iron Head which is strictly better than Steel Wing. I would go for it over Body Press so LO Clef doesn't rip your team apart, and the mons you target with Body Press aren't an issue to Falinks anyway. Corv has Roost, so it doesn't have to care about Brave Bird recoil, and the added power is massive.
Corsola-G is sadly in the wrong tier. It's great on paper, but basically the entire of OU takes a dump on it. Dragapult and Hydreigon use it as setup fodder, Mandibuzz clears its rocks with ease, Clef doesn't even care it exists, it loses to other walls like Pex and Ferro 1v1, and let's not even mention Specs Ageislash, Taunt users, Knock Off... If you need a bulky wall that sets rocks, you could try Toad if you hate Vish.
Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earthquake
Or if you need something that beats things not called Vish, there's always Ferro and Pex. You could also try defensive Clef or Sylveon if you want Wish passing and a Pult check. If you just really need a long-term Ghost, use Sub Disable Hex Dragapult. It's terrifying, especially if you can get a teammate to join in the status spread.
Rather than Rotom-W, try Rotom-M or Rotom-H. Rotom-W is hard to use RN due to Toad being everywhere. The other two fare far better RN.
Hopefully someone can finish the job here, but that's all I have to say. Do feel free to ask anything and I'll help as best as I can.
Thank you for the feedback you've given to me. I'll keep note on all the changes I need to make. To me, I think Toxapex is a better choice for a hazard setter and as a phazer since it learns Haze, eliminating physical attack boosters in its path but Seismitoad is also a mention too. Still, I appreciate it.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey! I really like your descriptions of each mon. The honor and glory of Falinks must live on forever. Structure wise your team is OK, even if some Pokemon are a bit sub-optimal in the meta right now (Corsola, Rotom-Wash, Cinderace) though I have a few suggestions:

Swap :Hatterene:Hatterene with :Clefable:Clefable.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave / Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

This set does what you want out of Hatterene bit with the added benefit of threatening Dragapult / Hydreigon a little bit better. It's equally as good at dealing with status thanks to Magic Guard, and I think the trade off of getting a Wish passer out weighs the benefits of bouncing back hazards.

This would be especially true if you swap Gunk Shot with Court Change on :Cinderace:Cinderace. The only coverage, unless I'm mistaken, that Gunk Shot hits over Pyro Ball would be vs. Fairies, but Pyro Ball hits a relevant enough roll to make that difference feel negligible compared to the value of Court Change.

Some other minor changes:
:Corviknight: I would more heavily consider Brave Bird over Drill Peck, the recoil stinks but Corviknight really appreciates the extra power. Also, I can't think of any circumstances where Steel Wing is superior to Iron Head, so I would never even consider it.

:Rotom-Wash: I would consider swapping Expert Belt for Leftovers or Iapapa Berry. Rotom-Wash is primarily a pivot and really appreciates the extra longevity over the extra damage.

Hope this helps!

Hey! I really like your descriptions of each mon. The honor and glory of Falinks must live on forever. Structure wise your team is OK, even if some Pokemon are a bit sub-optimal in the meta right now (Corsola, Rotom-Wash, Cinderace) though I have a few suggestions:

Swap :Hatterene:Hatterene with :Clefable:Clefable.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave / Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

This set does what you want out of Hatterene bit with the added benefit of threatening Dragapult / Hydreigon a little bit better. It's equally as good at dealing with status thanks to Magic Guard, and I think the trade off of getting a Wish passer out weighs the benefits of bouncing back hazards.

This would be especially true if you swap Gunk Shot with Court Change on :Cinderace:Cinderace. The only coverage, unless I'm mistaken, that Gunk Shot hits over Pyro Ball would be vs. Fairies, but Pyro Ball hits a relevant enough roll to make that difference feel negligible compared to the value of Court Change.

Some other minor changes:
:Corviknight: I would more heavily consider Brave Bird over Drill Peck, the recoil stinks but Corviknight really appreciates the extra power. Also, I can't think of any circumstances where Steel Wing is superior to Iron Head, so I would never even consider it.

:Rotom-Wash: I would consider swapping Expert Belt for Leftovers or Iapapa Berry. Rotom-Wash is primarily a pivot and really appreciates the extra longevity over the extra damage.

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much for the feedback! I'm getting a feeling these changes will be very useful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)