F/A/L/C/O/N - an SPL Team(s) Report

Hey everyone! I had a fun time playing in SPL this year and finished with a respectable 6-3 record so here I am to post my team archive, a tradition for doubles players who want to pump up their like:post ratio. Of course there's also the added benefit of getting to show off some of the cool sets I used. I'm going to share the teams and some of the changes I would suggest if you want to use them yourself. I'm also not going to fit too many shout outs in this post but I would like to take one last opportunity the thank the whole Falcons team for a fun season. The name of this report comes from me nicknaming my Pokemon F/A/L/C/O/N in all of my games but the last because I forgot, but don't worry I've edited the importable and put the nicknames in. I would appreciate it if you didn't change them if you use a team!

It wouldn't be a KyleCole post without some needless Youtube promotion thrown in, so I've hyperlinked my analysis videos of each battle. They do a pretty good job of showing my thought process during the game, and if you want an example of how some of the weirder teams play (Week 4 team in particular) you should check the videos out.

Week 1 vs Arcticblast

F (Gengar) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Icy Wind
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

A (Weavile) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Tail

L (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

C (Amoonguss) (M) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Energy Ball
- Sunny Day

O (Heatran) (M) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

N (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Potential Changes: Feint would have been more effective than Iron Tail in my SPL game so it is certainly an option, that being said I have played Diancie with this team and Iron Tail came in handy so don’t dismiss it easily. Energy Ball and Mental Herb on Amoonguss came down to personal preference on the team and can be switched to whatever you’re most comfortable with, keep in mind though that I did use them for a reason.

Description: This team is a weird combination of Offense and Balance. On one hand you have Weavile and Gengar; possibly the two best Pokemon for disrupting an opponent strategy (bar maybe Thundurus-I) which lead extremely well together making up the offensive core of the team, and on the other hand you have Amoonguss, Heatran, and Landorus-T forming the Balanced half of the team, with Diancie falling somewhere in the middle. There are 3 Pokemon with uncommon builds on this team: Weavile, Diancie, and Amoonguss. Weavile was given Iron Tail in the 4th moveslot to lure opposing Mega Diancie. Mega Diancie was given (in my opinion at least) a more effective EV spread than the standard; 200 EVs in special attack guarantees the 2HKO on standard Mega Kangaskhan. Amoonguss was given Mental Herb to help the teams otherwise poor MU vs Thundurus, and Energy Ball to always 2HKO Keldeo and Terrakion and to always 3HKO 252HP Suicune holding Leftovers. It also has a chance to 3HKO Suicune holding Sitrus Berry while Giga Drain does not. Finally, Amoonguss was given Sunny Day to help against rain (and sand) teams.

Week 2 vs Lohgock

F (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Overheat
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

A (Tangrowth) @ Coba Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Sleep Powder
- Rage Powder
- Protect

L (Weavile) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Icicle Crash
- Beat Up
- Feint

C (Zapdos) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 176 SpA / 24 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

O (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

N (Terrakion) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Taunt
- Protect

Potential Changes: Honestly a more traditional Sun team with Venusaur would probably be more effective, but I’m going to assume you’re using this team (much like I did) because you want an excuse to use Tangrowth. That being said, if you want to make some changes you could use a Psych Up physical Tangrowth set with Power Whip and Rock Slide/Earthquake but I’ve tried this and it’s nearly impossible to pull off on a game you didn’t already have won anyways. You could swap Weavile or Terrakion for something with Wide Guard, but without some kind of set up you won’t get the most of out Tangrowth. If you’re looking for the most super tryhard sun team use something with Venusaur and Wide Guard Aegislash, but if you want to use Tangrowth you can use this. Oh and I’ve gone ahead and swapped Zapdos’s ability for you in the importable. Static was unreleased when I used this team in SPL but it is definitely better than Pressure.

Description: This team was meant to be a fun sun team with an excuse to use some interesting sets, and of course Tangrowth. The standard sun core of Charizard/Venusaur/Landorus-T/Zapdos was altered slightly by substituting Tangrowth for Venusaur in order to support the Weavile/Terrakion Justified + Beat Up combo. The idea was that Tangrowth would play like Venusaur in the sun, and like Amoonguss outside of Sun. The 2 uncommon builds on this team were Mega Charizard-Y and Tangrowth. Mega Charizard Y was given both Overheat & Hidden Power Ground (it usually just uses one) and I skipped out on Heat Wave. The team needed Hidden Power Ground to deal with Heatran and Overheat gave me another way to deal with Mega Kangaskhan and of course pretty much everything that doesn’t resist fire. As I explained earlier, the Tangrowth moveset is meant to play like Venusaur in Sun and Amoonguss outside of it. It has maximum speed investment to outspeed Scarf Landorus-T in Sun and then some.

Week 3 vs Biosci

F (Talonflame) @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

A (Politoed) @ Eject Button
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Helping Hand
- Protect

L (Ludicolo) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

C (Swampert-Mega) @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Protect

O (Thundurus) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Rain Dance
- Swagger

N (Terrakion) @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Potential Changes: The biggest change (and one that was suggested by Braverius, which I ignored like a fool) is to swap Terrakion for Aegislash. Aegislash and Terrakion both deal with many of the problem Pokemon for the team (Ferrothorn, Kyurem, and Kangaskhan) but Aegislash is infinitely more useful in a MU against Sylveon and only slightly worse vs Kang. Swap Hydro Pump on Ludicolo for Scald, the power difference isn’t worth the loss in accuracy, and with Scald you get that nice burn chance. Eject Button Politoed was a fun set but Damp Rock is more effective. Swapping Swagger for Protect on Thundurus is an option as well.

Desciption: Good ol’ KyleCole rain took its first loss on week 3 of SPL. What makes it even worse is that the loss was pretty clean meaning I can’t complain about hax. Ah well. This rain team is pretty much what every other rain team is: mindless Hyper Offense. The cool thing about Rain is that the Pokemon on it can usually take a couple of hits before going down, where on other HO teams this may not be the case. The 2 unusual builds here are on Politoed and Thundurus. Politoed has Eject Button because I thought it would be a neat tech to gain some momentum and save a turn switching out Politoed. The Thundurus set is Safety Goggles to deal with Amoonguss and Breloom, however instead of Taunt I went with Thunder Wave and Swagger because it is effective against a broader range of mons. Rain Dance on Thundurus helps the Sun MU a whole lot.

Week 4 vs Qsns

F (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Flame Charge
- Belly Drum
- Dragon Claw
- Protect

A (Gourgeist-Super) @ Choice Band
Ability: Frisk
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Explosion
- Shadow Sneak
- Seed Bomb
- Trick

L (Jirachi) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 56 SpD / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Follow Me
- Icy Wind
- Protect

C (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
- Protect

O (Mew) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Transform
- Will-O-Wisp
- Tailwind

N (Landorus-Therian) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Potential Changes: None.

Description: This is my own cool take on the standard Bunnies team. The team plays by using Explosion with Gourgeist and Landorus to bring in either a set up mon (Charizard and Azumarill) or a supporter (Jirachi and Mew) depending on what gives you the best chance of sweeping through your opponents team. This team may look silly, but it extremely effective against an unknowing opponent and I tested this team way more than any other team I used in SPL just to make it perfect. As far as unusual sets go, pretty much everything is non-standard so I’ll go through them quickly. Charizard X was used because the standard Azumarill team has a somewhat difficult time setting up vs Sun teams and with Charizard X that MU turns from shaky to a slam dunk. Gourgeist explodes against opponents with Fake Out, we discussed this. Gourgeist’s EV spread guarantees that it survives a Heat Wave from Modest Heatran. Jirachi supports Azumarill and Charizard X. Jirachi’s item is Colbur Berry to give the team ways to play around Hydreigon and Bisharp. Azumarill is Knock Off to beat Aegislash and hits 177 speed to outspeed the fastest common Aegislash builds. Mew is actually pretty standard, Safety Goggles are a must for leading against Charizard Venusaur and help immensely against Breloom and Amoonguss (obviously). Landorus-T explodes. Using Landorus-T > Landorus-I is purely for intimidate against enemy Talonflame which is an enormous problem otherwise. I used Earth Power instead of Earthquake because I have nothing to Earthquake beside and Stone Edge to get around Talonflame+ Wide Guard mind games.

Week 5 vs BLINGAS

F (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 232 HP / 76 Def / 184 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

A (Heatran) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Protect

L (Gourgeist-Super) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Sunny Day
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb

C (Clefable) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 1 Spe
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Follow Me

O (Weavile) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Icicle Crash
- Beat Up
- Feint

N (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Potential Changes: Switch Feint for Ice Shard on Weavile. Don’t listen to anyone who says Ice Shard on Weavile is bad because they are wrong. Also Mental Herb on Gourgeist has never come in handy in any game I’ve ever played with this team so you can swap it to almost anything. Sitrus Berry would probably be best but a resist berry would be cool as well, I think the original team had Sitrus or Coba Berry I forget.

Description: This team is actually my remake of an old SPL5 team made by Biosci. I changed a couple of items and movesets for personal preference, but the one significant change was substituting Amoonguss for an offensive Clefable. Clefable makes playing against Kyurem-B and other dragons a lot easier, while still maintaining redirection support that also handles Azumarill. Hidden Power Ground Clefable is also neat for luring Heatran and can do a chunk to Aegislash. The coolest moveset on this team is by far bulky Choice Scarf Terrakion. This EV spread survives a Superpower from Choice Scarf Landorus-T and outspeeds Greninja by 1 point. It’s important for Terrakion to underspeed Weavile in order to attack after getting the attack boosts from Beat Up + Justified.

Week 6 vs BLOOD TOTEM

F (Gardevoir-Mega) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Protect

A (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 216 SpA
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

L (Scrafty) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
IVs: 28 Spe
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Quick Guard
- Drain Punch

C (Amoonguss) @ Rocky Helmet
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Protect

O (Heatran) @ Safety Goggles
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 7 Spe
- Ancient Power
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

N (Rotom-Wash) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 28 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Potential changes: I would move Gardevoir’s HP investment up to 72 HP (take the Evs from Def) to always survive an attack from Aegislash. You could also go near max HP max Def on Gardevoir which is something I haven’t gotten around to trying yet but I have a suspicion it could be quite good. I’ve also thought about giving Amoonguss 1 speed IV and Sludge Bomb over Protect so that Hoopa + Amoonguss beats an opposing Amoonguss + Heatran lead more reliably but I haven’t tested this yet either.

Description: This is probably the most solid team I made in SPL. While in the past I’ve said that I considered using Full Trick room too MU dependent to be reliable, that all changes with Focus Sash Hoopa. Because Hoopa can break through Substitute and Protect with Hyperspace attacks, it makes it significantly harder for an opponent to take advantage of the turn you use setting up Trick Room. Add Quick Guard Scrafty and Amoonguss and this team can reliably get Trick Room up and running every game. Mega Gardevoir is a Pokemon that I don’t think people give enough credit, nothing special with the moveset or EV spread here, just give this mon a try. Rotom-Wash hits 240 speed to outspeed Bisharp outside of Trick Room and either Thunderbolt or Wisp it and make setting TR easier Turn 2.

Week 7 vs Deoxys Speed Lol

F (Gardevoir-Mega) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Substitute
- Protect

A (Gengar) @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Rain Dance
- Will-O-Wisp

L (Raikou) @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 28 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic
- Protect

C (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

O (Jirachi) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 240 HP / 92 Def / 68 SpD / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Follow Me
- Icy Wind
- Protect

N (Talonflame) @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Taunt
- Protect

Potential Changes: You can either Swap the Raikou for a Rotom-Wash or give Raikou some way to better take on rain teams (Assault Vest or Thunder Wave jump to mind, though one can never forget the nice access to Snarl). Alternatively you could swap Jirachi for Amoonguss but then you have to take Sludge Wave off of Gengar and/or find another Steel somewhere, and from there you’d just change the whole team.

Description: Credits to Dawgie for helping with this squad. The team was originally a more balanced squad with Heatran/Rotom-W/Amoonguss but last minute I changed to Talonflame/Raikou/Jirachi for a more offensive team overall albeit one without a water resist. Substitute Gardevoir is a really cool set that doesn’t get enough love, but it pairs well with Rain Dance Gengar against Sun teams because Gardevoir Substitute can’t be broken by Zard Y Heat Wave in the rain. Once I saw that calc there was no way I wasn’t using it. Sludge Wave on Gengar was to mess up Azumarill + Redirection and I think it’s a pretty cool move. Toxic on Raikou is for P2 and Calm Mind Cresselia, I realized as I was submitting my team to Zebraiken that I would lose to these mons so I threw Toxic on and rolled with it. Raikou is a pretty uncommon mon to see but it has a solid MU against all of Thundurus, Raikou, and Keldeo and it looks cool so it earned a spot. It also outspeeds Adamant Talonflame so they can't click Flare Blitz on you as easily. If you really wanna use Raikou or some of these other hot sets then give this team a shot – it isn’t bad – but this team is more for fun than super serious.

Week 8 vs TFC

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Facade
- Power-Up Punch
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sunny Day

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Discharge
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 16 HP / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Mew @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Tailwind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Transform

Potential Changes: Swap Fake Out on Kangaskhan for either Sucker Punch or something to lure Diancie (Aqua Tail or Iron Tail, no I’m not kidding). Façade is not needed but it isn’t bad either so you can change it if you wanna, same with Discharge on Thundurus though that set works better when Landorus-T is Life Orb.

Desription: Again shoutouts to Dawg for helping with this team. It’s THALK with Mew in the 6th slot to better support Kangaskhan as a late game cleaner and take some of the defensive pressure off of it at the same time. Protect Kangaskhan is super underused and Façade slam dunks teams that rely on Mew turn 1 Wisp to neutralize Kangaskhan. Discharge Thundurus is for Azumarill + Redirection. Quick note on Shuca Berry Heatran; it catches a lot of hate but Shuca Heatran is actually not a bad set unless you leave it in on Landorus-T Earthquake and expect that to go well. Shuca is primarily for other Heatran but random Hidden Power Ground or Earth Power (coverage, not STAB) users can also be taken advantage of. I used Shuca Berry + Substitute because I think keeping control of the Heatran MU is super important for THALK teams, but I also wanted Substitute to use against Trick Room. Ask Stratos this set is his favourite. This is another really solid team but that’s obvious because it’s THALK.

Week 9 vs Stathakis

F (Gengar-Mega) @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 28 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Protect

A (Scrafty) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 224 Atk / 44 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 28 Spe
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Quick Guard

L (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Protect

C (Amoonguss) @ Rocky Helmet
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Sunny Day

O (Heatran) @ Safety Goggles
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 8 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Protect

N (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 216 SpA
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

Potential Changes: none, though I haven’t really thought about this team since the game ended like I have with the other squads.

Description: After seeing that I wasn’t going to be playing Braverius (which I was very much looking forward to) morale was low. Fortunately I stumbled into a pretty good Trick Room team after trying to make covert Perish Trap and failing (props to Mizuhime for spotting that in all of 2 seconds when the game started). Mega Gengar with max Defense is cool because it lives a hit from Life Orb Bisharp and other things that you would probably not expect it to survive. It was important to use Mega Gengar to trap opponents and make it easier to set up Belly Drums with Azumarill. Taunt turns the Amoonguss and Breloom MUs from dreadful to postitive. Mega Gengar outspeeds Breloom outside of Trick Room by 1 point to Taunt it and then set Trick Room turn 2. Nothing else special here, took the main Trick Room core of QG Scrafty/Sash Hoopa/Goggles Heatran/Amoonguss from my week 6 team with some minor changes. I've also just realized I forgot to mention that Scrafty and Heatran outspeed Hoopa slightly so that in Trick Room Hoopa will break protect and then the partner will attack, not the other way around. This is the same case in the week 6 team.

So those are the teams! Thanks for taking the time to read this and I promise to answer your questions about the teams or about anything to do with SPL down below.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)