Eviolite in UU

[approved by @Ernesto]

Eviolite

Eviolite is an item introduced in Generation Five that changed the light of many Pokemon forever, giving a ton of Pokemon a reason to have use, while shooting some Pokemon straight up a few tiers.

Pros:
• Snazzy Item
• 50% to the users Defense and Special Defense
• Makes a ton of Pokemon more bulky
• Allows usage of Pokemon that otherwise would not be usable

Cons:
• Only usable by NFEs, some of which have bad stats
• Worse off this Gen with Knock Off being very common
• Knock Off again because fuck Knock Off
• Prevents use of Leftovers, making many Eviolite users prone to being worn down

Good Users of Eviolite:

Porygon2

Porygon2 is quite possibly one of the greatest users of Eviolite in the game, as it rockets its already great 85 / 90 / 95 bulk, backed up by 105 SpA no less, allowing it to hit hard, it reaches an effective new 85 / 206 / 214 bulk (with 252/252+, it cannot have both of these at the same time however), if I did the math correctly! Backed up with a wide array of moves and reliable recovery move in Recover. Porygon2 can also trace useful abilities such as Water Absorb or Volt Absorb. Porygon2 is a force to be reckoned with, thanks to its phenomenal bulk and walling capabilities!

Dusclops

Dusclops has always been a mediocre Pokemon, but Eviolite turned it into a very bulky monster. Eviolite skyrockets its Defenses, making it somewhat hard to face 1v1. However, Dusclops has many shortcomings. It is weak to the own Knock Off that cripples it in the first place, while also having a very low HP stat. It also lacks recovery outside of RestTalk, which isn't the greatest. It also is now pretty much outclassed by Doublade for the most part, however, it has Will-O-Wisp, giving it a niche, albeit a small one, over Doublade.

These are the only two I have experience with, so I'll let you guys let me know to add into the OP! But I do know the following:
• Gligar
• Doublade
• Gurdurr
• Fucking Chansey

Last edited:
Ok just gonna say this hpw is there no mention of chansey the best eviolite user in the game.
Also how can you mention dusclops a terrible pokemon in uu

I've never used Chansey before :I I don't like it lol. And Dusclops isn't horrible:
252 SpA Mega Houndoom Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Dusclops: 114-134 (40.2 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
I wouldn't call that horrible, it just isn't the greatest.

I've never used Chansey before :I I don't like it lol. And Dusclops isn't horrible:
252 SpA Mega Houndoom Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Dusclops: 114-134 (40.2 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
I wouldn't call that horrible, it just isn't the greatest.
Yes but Mega Doom will set up Nasty Plot on Dusclops because there is nothing Dusclops can do back outside of Night Shade/Seismic Toss/Toxic which will be pretty useless unless Doom's low on health. There's no doubt eviolite Dusclops is bulky; the problem is its ineffectiveness at walling things consistently. It basically can slow like NP Doom down a little, but it does not stop them.

EDIT: +2 252 SpA Mega Houndoom Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Dusclops: 222-264 (78.4 - 93.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Gyro Ball
This is the Doublade set I run and it has served me quite well in UU. It is a very good partner to Hydreigon as it covers its Fairy, Ice and Dragon weaknesses while Hydreigon is able to take Ground, Ghost and Dark attacks that Doublade is weak to. I carry an Assault Vest on this particular Hydreigon so the core is able to take hits from both sides of the spectrum.

Anyway about Doublade: it hits very hard with max attack, especially with Gyro Ball. It is a great revenge killer with Shadow Sneak and forces a lot of switches, giving it time to set up with Swords Dance. Its bulk is quite extraordinary. Today for instance, it took an Earthquake from...something...and only took 43% health from it. It's not horrible at taking special attacks either, but you should definitely keep it away from those type of attacks and make sure that you have something that can take special attacks or something that can cover Doublade's weaknesses like Hydreigon. Doublade is really awesome! Just be sure to keep it away from Knock Off users and most special attackers.

how can you have never ran chansey before you blasphemer
Anyway, this is a less common Stealth Rocking set that can work well to support and cripple:

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
This set is quite good to be able to set up Stealth Rocks on special leads (Mega Manectric, Rotom, and Hydreigon to an extent) and cripple them with Thunder Wave, allowing your team to do more damage. It also lets Chansey pass high-HP wishes to teammates that need it due to not having reliable recovery options. Aromatherapy is also handy to remove status from your team (whether you are running stall and need to get rid of Toxic, or offense where you need to get rid of burns). The EVs are pretty standard, and it lets Chansey take physical hits a bit better.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have yet to try it out in this gen so it's gonna be pretty much pure theorymon:

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

From my experience when I did use it in Gen 5, Gurdurr was quite the beast in UU, because having STAB Mach Punch and a form of offensive usable recovery in Drain Punch allowed it to keep going before running out of steam, especially after getting enough Bulk Ups in. In a metagame where dark-types pretty much are sitting on top of the tier in terms of offensive powerhouses, Gurdurr would definitely be a welcome addition, being able to still function without its Eviolite due to the fact it resists Knock Off, something no other Eviolite users in the UU metagame can boast about (Unless you're into Sneasel for whatever reason).

Mach Punch also allows it to answer most of the aforementioned Dark-types without worrying about taking too much damage, since it also resists Sucker Punch (Absol), while having the bulk to tank an Aqua Jet (Crawdaunt). Guts also lets it punish status abusers way more easily, meaning defensive Psychic-types and Ghost-types who fear Knock Off like Mew, Slowbro, and Cofagrigus, can't cripple it with Scalds burns or Will-O-Wisps, and in return end up taking a pretty bad blow at the cost of getting minor chip damage off on Gurdurr each turn (Which may not help if it has enough Bulk Ups in to offset the burns with Drain Punch).

But as far as pros go, those are the main advantages Gurdurr has in this meta. Just like last gen, it still has trouble differentiating itself from the more versatile (and Fairy weak) Scrafty, and it's utterly helpless against Fairy-types of all stripes, meaning it's gonna require some support. On top of this, unlike Scrafty, who can cure itself of status and continue lifting weights, Gurdurr's put immediately on a timer once it takes a Poison/Burn status unless it's able to Drain Punch its way to victory just enough to break even with the sustained damage. If it's paralyzed though, the absolute worst that could happen is you're basically immobile for a turn but you're hitting like a truck.

All in all, aside from Knock Off being buffed and Gurdurr having absolutely no reason to NOT run it at all in this tier, it hasn't really changed much, seeing as barely anybody considered it to be a viable candidate in UU. The environment around Gurdurr however, has changed significantly compared to what it was last gen, and I honestly believe if you can just manage to give it heavy support for Fairy-type Pokemon, Gurdurr might surprise you in UU.

I like how you have one of the worst pokemon in the tier as a "good" user of Eviolite, but not even the best user of it: Chansey. Chansey pretty much never dies, is the best Wish passer in the tier, due to its high HP, it can fully heal practically any sweeper that might be weakened, giving them "another life." It is a great cleric, has TWave, decent offensive presence with Seismic Toss, and if you opt for Toxic over TWave, you die even quicker. It's a shame it didn't become Fairy-typed.

One mon I'm looking forward to using in NU, maybe RU, is Eviolite Togetic. Great typing, great defensive stats, Roost recovery, great support movepool... Togetic will be quite fun.

CoolStoryBrobat Fairies will wreck that shit all night.

Chansey is the same thing as Blissey.
They get relatively the same moves anyone asks for:
Softboil/wish, aromatherapy, protect, toxic, seismic toss, they even have the exact same abilities.
Health and speed are only 5 base points apart, special attack is higher for Blissey but it's never anything to brag about.

So what's the main difference. Well as a pre-evolution Chansey has ~84% of Blissey's max SpDef so letting her in UU shouldn't be OH WAIT; wait a minute chansey can have x1.5 of her special defense stat because she's not the final evolution. Leftovers is nice and all but damn, 508 special defense max compared to 405? That should make up for the missing 10 health and 12% leftovers. They're the same pokemon, toxic/physical bashing counters them and they are impossible to beat with most special attackers. Blissey just gets some passive regen Someone needs to fix this mistake. Then again for the time being, Blastoise mega gets an always hit focus blast on top of 135 base special so maybe we need a super tank like Chansey.

Eviolite Misdreavus was useful for checking Diggersby before it got banned. Immune to both of its STABs and taking a little under half from CB wild charge.

I don't know how useful it is with Diggersby gone, but it's a pretty good user of Eviolite.

lol guys, I didn't put Dusclops anywhere, I simply added it to list of Eviolite users, and nowhere did I state it is one of the best, it is ok imo, just not that good.

Usable Eviolite Pokemon in UU, from best to worst:

Chansey
Doublade
Porygon 2
Gurdurr
Gligar
Dusclops

Also Scyther ain't that bad. It can run evio surprisingly well, but it isn't a dedicated evio user, so I didn't put it on this list, (plus I'm not sure where I'd put it.)

Usable Eviolite Pokemon in UU, from best to worst:

Chansey
Doublade
Porygon 2
Gurdurr
Gligar
Dusclops

Also Scyther ain't that bad. It can run evio surprisingly well, but it isn't a dedicated evio user, so I didn't put it on this list, (plus I'm not sure where I'd put it.)
ferroseed too. it's not amazing, but it does have a niche

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Speaking of what Adam Lambert said up above I'm def curious about Togetic. Fairies are on low supply in UU, and it's got a heck of a support movepool: Defog, Thunder Wave, Toxic, Nasty Plot, Baton Pass, Wish, Heal Bell, Work Up, Reflect, Light Screen, Encore, and Yawn. Not saying all of those moves are viable on it most of the time, but it's definitely got some usable bulk with Eviolite and some good moves to back it up. Honestly curious to see how it fares since this gen we lost Togekiss in UU (which I'm actually not gonna complain about)

Speaking of what Adam Lambert said up above I'm def curious about Togetic. Fairies are on low supply in UU, and it's got a heck of a support movepool: Defog, Thunder Wave, Toxic, Nasty Plot, Baton Pass, Wish, Heal Bell, Work Up, Reflect, Light Screen, Encore, and Yawn. Not saying all of those moves are viable on it most of the time, but it's definitely got some usable bulk with Eviolite and some good moves to back it up. Honestly curious to see how it fares since this gen we lost Togekiss in UU (which I'm actually not gonna complain about)
My issue with Togetic is that it's just so damn weak. It can't even beat stuff like SubCM Keldeo because it quickly becomes unable to break the substitutes and gets setup all over. I guess it might be able to run some kind of bulky Nasty Plot set, but part of what made Togetic good was that even when it was a wall, it was a credible offensive threat that could sweep you clean if you weren't careful. Without Serene Grace Air Slash and with greatly reduced speed and SpAtk, it isn't very threatening even when it can grab free turns. It probably fits nicely into heavy stall since it does have godly typing, but the issue then is finding a slot for it on a team - it's very slow and has little offensive presence, so it's not the best defogger, and as far as clerics go UU has a bunch of excellent ones, namely Chansey, Florges, Vaporeon and Celebi. In my mind, it's competing for a slot with Pokemon like Zapdos, who is much faster and has pressure and much more offensive presence. I should point out, however, that I haven't actually used it and have only faced it a handful of times, so take this with a pinch of salt. There are always better-off-paper mons in every metagame and it may well be one of them.

i've used togetic and it's very good, don't worry about sub cm keldeo. a +2 one only has a 19% chance of not having its substitute broken, since an uninvested dazzling gleam does aproximately 55%. if you're using specially defensive togetic, it'll usually beat keldeo (unless if it gets scald burnt).

but physic defense is where togetic really shines; zygarde cannot hope to even touch it (unless if it runs dumb moves like stone edge), LO haxorus needs +2 attack to OHKO it, mienshao fails to OHKO it with stone edge and gets killed by dazzling gleam, scrafty does not stand a chance, etc etc. AND togetic still learns defog, roost, heal bell, thunder wave, toxic, and you can try a gambling serene grace ancient power set. the only problem it faces is obviously knock off, but every eviolite user has that issue.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
i've used togetic and it's very good, don't worry about sub cm keldeo. a +2 one only has a 19% chance of not having its substitute broken, since an uninvested dazzling gleam does aproximately 55%. if you're using specially defensive togetic, it'll usually beat keldeo (unless if it gets scald burnt).

but physic defense is where togetic really shines; zygarde cannot hope to even touch it (unless if it runs dumb moves like stone edge), LO haxorus needs +2 attack to OHKO it, mienshao fails to OHKO it with stone edge and gets killed by dazzling gleam, scrafty does not stand a chance, etc etc. AND togetic still learns defog, roost, heal bell, thunder wave, toxic, and you can try a gambling serene grace ancient power set. the only problem it faces is obviously knock off, but every eviolite user has that issue.
Stone Edge is p. fuckin good on Zygarde actually so ehhh

I'm gonna make a plug for my bro Golbat right now.

Golbat @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SDef / 252 HP
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Super Fang
- Brave Bird

With eviolite Golbat reaches 393 Def and 280 SDef while also having a respectable 354 HP. With this set, you have a 50% chance to survive 2 Flare Blitz from a scarfed Darmanitan (you will always survive 2 Rock Slides and Zen Headbutts) and can easily stall it out with Roost and let it die to recoil damage (normally around 18% per hit). It's also a considerably fast wall with 90 base speed which outspeeds many other hazard setters in the tier and can get a guaranteed Defog upon switching in, not to mention taking 50% of their HP with Super Fang if you wish.

One of the things I like about it, though, is that it can switch into a SD on Hawlucha, take a hit, and have a chance to OHKO back with Brave Bird.
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Golbat: 187-222 (52.8 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Sky Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Golbat: 238-282 (67.2 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

DopestDope , i like that golbat set. An immunity to poison and accsss to roost and super fang definitely differentiates itself from gligar..

Why was gligar mentioned just above dusclops in usability? Even adamant haxorus outrage is a 3hko and it has reliable recovery in roost. Now that mega gard is gone, gligar/mega blastoise/umbreon is a good core.

DopestDope, I would consider running Toxic on that set because from my limited experience with Golbat, it's incredibly effective to be able to use toxic through subs. It's a viable move for Crobat, and if you're running Golbat you're doing so because it's bulkier, so why not? It's probably more useful than Super Fang.

For the record, it's one of the few things that scares SubCoil Zygarde, so it's worth considering just for that reason.

Toxic and super fang coukd be a good option as a wall breaker set. What do you think? But then you drop brave bird which is its only STAB humph

Last generation I was running a Eviolith Magneton

Magneton@Eviolith
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 6 Def
Modest Nature
- Magic Coat
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon/Hidden Power [Fire]/Hidden Power [Ice]

Usually People use Magneton with Scarf because it outspeeds everything, but with Eviolith it gains great bulk to tank any non-super effective hit with barely any investment and fires off powerful STAB moves. Magic Coat to send back all those annoying hazards and Status Moves. But with some nerfs to status moves like Grass Typs being immun to Spore making the bouncing less effective.

CoolStoryBrobat

Magneton@Eviolith
Modest Nature
- Magic Coat
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Usually People use Magneton with Scarf because it outspeeds everything, but with Eviolith it gains great bulk to tank any non-super effective hit with barely any investment and fires off powerful STAB moves. Magic Coat to send back all those annoying hazards and Status Moves. But with some nerfs to status moves like Grass Typs being immun to Spore making the bouncing less effective.
Eviolite Magneton was decent last gen since it was able to trap Bronzong and a few other Steel-types in UU and beat them with a Magnet Rise set. But this gen, the only Steel-type you're able to even trap without resorting to Magnet Rise is Jirachi, and even those guys run U-Turn at times. Even last gen, Specs Analytic Magneton served to put in more work as a wallbreaker in UU. And now we got Magnezone, who just outclasses it on all levels since it hits harder, just at the cost of a little speed.

Last edited:

Magneton@Eviolith
Modest Nature
- Magic Coat
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

I actually ran something close to this last gen. I couldn't tell you my exact spread and moveset because it's on my old computer, but it was fun to use. If memory serves the only difference is that I used mine more as a wall, and I think I had Thunderbolt/Volt Switch, Flash Cannon, Thunder Wave, and Substitute with more defensive EVs.

Bear in mind I don't know that for sure, but I think that's more or less what I ran.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)