Emboar

This can Infernape can make a pretty good wall breaking dual, though its quite slow. Its 123 Base Attack is good, paired with a 120 BP STAB Flare Blitz, and thats pretty frightening. I'm pretty eager to try this out, especially since I want to test out Pokemons that could work on a Sunny Day team.

I can see it working well as an Anti-weather pokemon. It walls Ninetails, outspeeds Tyranitar (4x weak to STAB) and Politoed, and hits SE on Abomasnow with both STABs.
It does not outspeed Politoed. Politoed's base speed is 70 while Emboar's base speed is 65.

um its going to be good in game and im gonna use it for my first team 4 my white team in game but i dont plan on using that team 4 competitive battling

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I made a set for this Pokémon. I think it will be pretty fun to test out.

Emboar
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
EV: 80 HP / 180 Atk / 248 Spe
~ Bulk Up
~ Nitro Charge
~ Wild Bolt
~ Superpower / Stone Edge / Earthquake
Ability: Blaze / Reckless
Item: Leftovers

I think this could play alot like Bulk Up Machamp with help of Screen Support. With Jolly Nature and one Nitro Charge boost you reach 375 Spe. And with one Bulk Up, Nitro Charge will hit pretty hard. It can also utilize Body Slam for a chance of paralyzing the foe.

What do you think?

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
To the set above me:

As far as this set goes, this seems to be requiring a lot of support (you said screens) and set up moves before it can rampage a team. It's pretty "meh" when you count all the Pokemon that can do better under Dual Screens or not having to set up at all to be threatening. Emboar here seems to be taking too many turns of setup to be utilized. "No", it's not that big of a fish compared to Salamence, Infernape, Blaziken, etc.

IMO, just Reckless Choice Band or Reckless LO. It's only use is abusing it's massive attack with it's insane ability and access to most of the best recoil moves. Other than that, it's pretty slow and can't really act as a revenge killer/sweeper.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
To the set above me:

As far as this set goes, this seems to be requiring a lot of support (you said screens) and set up moves before it can rampage a team. It's pretty "meh" when you count all the Pokemon that can do better under Dual Screens or not having to set up at all to be threatening. Emboar here seems to be taking too many turns of setup to be utilized. "No", it's not that big of a fish compared to Salamence, Infernape, Blaziken, etc.
If you look at Machamp, you don't need to use Bulk Up. It's the same here. And two Screens and one Thunder Wave from Cresselia is enough.

At least I have experience from a Bulk Up Machamp + Cresselia to know what it can do if you do it right. Maybe not in OU but in UU. In UU you can go with Uxie instead.
But that's my opinion.

AccidentalGreed

If you look at Machamp, you don't need to use Bulk Up. It's the same here. And two Screens and one Thunder Wave from Cresselia is enough.
Yeah, but...

This thing needs SCREENS. And Thunder Wave support.

That's too much to squeeze in when you can easily set up simply one of those and use Life Orb Heatran (which probably won't exist due to Explosion), Blaziken, Dragonite, and other slow friends with not-so-horrible defenses. Speaking of defenses, Machamp is another story, since it can take two and more hits and take several down for the team with the immediate thread of STAB DynamicPunch.

Yeah, Emboar can be threatening with the "right" support, and I admit it is not to be messed with under the circumstances you outlined. The the question is: Why Emboar?

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
Yeah, but...

This thing needs SCREENS. And Thunder Wave support.

That's too much to squeeze in when you can easily set up simply one of those and use Life Orb Heatran (which probably won't exist due to Explosion), Blaziken, Dragonite, and other slow friends with not-so-horrible defenses. Speaking of defenses, Machamp is another story, since it can take two and more hits and take several down for the team with the immediate thread of STAB DynamicPunch.

Yeah, Emboar can be threatening with the "right" support, and I admit it is not to be messed with under the circumstances you outlined. The the question is: Why Emboar?
Because it could probably do what Machamp does in OU but in UU instead, like I said. I would never use it over Machamp. My Machamp + Cresselia has swept several teams before.
Do you see?

AccidentalGreed

Because it could probably do what Machamp does in OU but in UU instead, like I said. I would never use it over Machamp. My Machamp + Cresselia has swept several teams before.
Do you see?
Eh, yeah. Didn't get the premise of the tiers at first.

Not much to say about Emboar except it needs support like Blaziken and mismagius did in IV UU.

I made a set for this Pokémon. I think it will be pretty fun to test out.

Emboar
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
EV: 80 HP / 180 Atk / 248 Spe
~ Bulk Up
~ Nitro Charge
~ Wild Bolt
~ Superpower / Stone Edge / Earthquake
Ability: Blaze / Reckless
Item: Leftovers

I think this could play alot like Bulk Up Machamp with help of Screen Support. With Jolly Nature and one Nitro Charge boost you reach 375 Spe. And with one Bulk Up, Nitro Charge will hit pretty hard. It can also utilize Body Slam for a chance of paralyzing the foe.

What do you think?
I made a bulk up set aswell, mine looked different though.

Emboar
Adamant @leftovers w/Reckless or Blaze
200 HP /104 Att /200 SpDef
Bulk Up
Flare Blitz
Hammer Arm
Head Smash

Force something to switch, get 1 bulk up Emboar is already slow so i didn't try to put nitro charge on because superpower drops your defense and attack, while hammer arm lowers speed. Head Smash hits mence, shandeera, gyara and alot of other pokes who wouldn't see it coming thinking you have EQ. The rest is basic stab.

Derp.

Anyone noticed that Emboar have another good move relating with its Speed?

This is Ankle Sweep. How it works?

See: Figthing-type STAB + 60 Power Base + Giant Attack Stat + Reduces always the foe's Speed 1 Stage = The opponent needs some fews Switches.

Also, with 2 o 3 of this, things like Infernape can be slower than Emboar.

Anyway, my Emboar have this moveset normally, and works very good:

Ability: Blaze.
Nature: Serious (To use a little better Ankle Sweep).

EVs: At 252/ Sp. At. 252 / Speed: 6.

- Overheat.
- Ankle Sweep.
- Boiling Water.
- Wild Bolt.

With a good Sp. At. and STAB, a very injured Emboar can activate Blaze and do nearly always a OHKO if the opponent aren't resistent.

Wild Bolt is for Water- and Flying- types. Ankle Sweep reduces de opponent Speed one Stage and give STAB. Boiling Water for Grounds and Rocks.

The Emboar moveset is simply Awesome. It can be an inpredectible PKMN, and a good reciving Switch-ins if you don't predict well.

Examples:
- Oh noes, Scizor can be killed by Emboar. Go, Gyarados! - Emboar used Wild Bolt, is Super effective! Gyarados fainted!
- Oh noes, Scizor can be killed by Emboar. Go, Gliscor! - Emboar used Boiling Water, is Super effective!, Gliscor has been burned!, Gliscor fainted!
- Oh noes, Scizor can be killed by Emboar. Go, Infernape! - Emboar used Earthquake, is Super effective! Infernape fainted!
- Oh noes, Scizor can be killed by Emboar. Go, Aerodactyl! - Emboar used Stone Edge, is Super effective! Aerodactyl fainted!

In all the cases, your opponent says "FFFFUUUU".

Now with Reckless:
Nature: Jolly.
Item: Choice Skarf

- Flare Blitz.
- Wild Bolt.
- Take Down.
- Head Smash.

Simply, this Emboar is a suicidal bomb.

Any of this moves does lot of damage if you don't resist the move, and Flare Blitz can be an overpowered move, damaging with more of 30% to nearly anything.
However, if you kill a opponent with three hits, you kills yourself in mani cases.

A Head Smash result nearly always a self-OHKO, a Flare Blitz a 2-self-OHKO, the others a 3.

Anyway, Emboar can have a lots of niches in any team. And thats my Favorite Starter, before Torterra.

See you.

I honestly don't know how to feel about this fifth fire-type starter. I've picked up the fire guy first every generation, but I just feel like this is kind of letdown. He can get some decent coverage, but most of them come at the cost of recoil, and most fire types can't handle too much extra damage anyway.

errr... fighting STAB? It would be it's best bet against Water/Grounds
Don't forget about Grass Knot.

Anyway, my guess why Emboar has high HP is because its HP is meant to absorb recoil damage (from Head Smash and Wild Bolt). Unfortunately, this also means that it won't survive long in battle.

My go at a Piggy set for OU:

Chaobuu @ Miracle of Evolution
Reckless
*Unlimited Pork Works*
Adamant / 252 Attack / 168 Speed / 88 HP
- Nitro Charge - With these EVs, you're outrunning Lucario at +1 by 3 points, and base 120s can't catch you at +2.
- Head Smash - Hitting harder than Explosion with zero immunities? What a pimp.
- Superpower - Solely for Ground-type predictions and Heatran, since I can't effectively hit them with anything else
- Will-o-Wisp / Wild Volt - W-o-W's there predicting Chomp/Flygon/Hippo/Pert or a scarfer coming in and crippling them, Wild Volt's there to finish off Skarm quicker than Head Smash or Nitro Charge would.

I feel that Chaobuu's 342/204/204 is a comparable spread to Emboar's 404/166/166 or 362/208/166 with Lefties. Emboar's extra HP is nice, but forfeiting defense makes it weaker to priority than Chaobuu, and boosting defense leaves it with a gap in Sp. Def Chaobuu doesn't have (and a weakness to Vacuum Wave).

There's only a 10 point difference in speed (but Emboar alone boasts the ability to outrun unscarfed Garchomp after a Nitro Charge while Emboar's adamant).

The differences in offenses aren't as important as usual because of Reckless boosting Chaobuu to a lot of OHKOs regardless and you won't notice the difference in potency unless (A) you made a crappy prediction (B) Skarm switched in to Nitro Charge - which isn't a problem (and is a result of your opponent's crappy prediction) (C) you're resorting to using Superpower, which means you're facing a Steelix/Registeel/Hippowdon/Swampert/Garchomp and it should be burned anyway.

Emboar's main advantages are therefore the fact that more HP = more ability to withstand recoil, and base 65 speed is good for adamantly outpacing Chomp (but is a moot point since the required speed evs are phenomenal, changing Emboar's bulk to a mere 362/171/166).

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
GravityZero said:
Head Smash - Hitting harder than Explosion with zero immunities? What a pimp.
Reckless grants a 20% boost to all recoil inducing moves and therefore Reckless Head Smash has 180 BP while Explosion has 250 BP. Not so pimping after all.

This guy has too many glaring faults to see use. You simply cannot be slow and frail with awful defensive typing and expect to survive in any metagame, let alone this one. He seems quite handy for Trick Room teams though because his power is really quite impressive and his recoil inducing moves can be used as a psuedo-Explosion to kill himself off and get your TR user back in just as Trick Room ends.

Reckless grants a 20% boost to all recoil inducing moves and therefore Reckless Head Smash has 180 BP while Explosion has 250 BP. Not so pimping after all.

This guy has too many glaring faults to see use. You simply cannot be slow and frail with awful defensive typing and expect to survive in any metagame, let alone this one. He seems quite handy for Trick Room teams though because his power is really quite impressive and his recoil inducing moves can be used as a psuedo-Explosion to kill himself off and get your TR user back in just as Trick Room ends.

Serebii is saying double.

Reckless increases damage dealt to the opponent by 20%, and therefore increases the recoil by the same percentage. Serebii is wrong here.
Read the whole thread kthx

Also, you'd think Hitmonlee would get more than a mention of Double-Edge if it did more than a STAB Head Smash from Aggron.

Serebii has been wrong on more than three billion occasions. Reckless Take Down from Baffuron is weaker than an Aggron Head Smash.
Alright. I'll bite.

I just searched the Research thread. Nothing. Nobody ever tested Reckless.

I searched serebii's 'updated abilities' list. Nothing. Reckless wasn't listed.

Testing pl0x.

Alright. I'll bite.

I just searched the Research thread. Nothing. Nobody ever tested Reckless.

I searched serebii's 'updated abilities' list. Nothing. Reckless wasn't listed.

Testing pl0x.
*sighs*

Doesn't this and this prove Serebii is wrong? Serebii has a history of being wrong too. Don't trust their ability/move descriptions. For example:

- In the 4th Gen., Serebii listed the ability "Super Luck" as "Bad Luck" with the effect being reversed.
- Also, Lunar Dance (Cresselia's signature move) was a Cosmic Power clone.

*sighs*

Doesn't this and this prove Serebii is wrong? Serebii has a history of being wrong too. Don't trust their ability/move descriptions. For example:

- In the 4th Gen., Serebii listed the ability "Super Luck" as "Bad Luck" with the effect being reversed.
- Also, Lunar Dance (Cresselia's signature move) was a Cosmic Power clone.
That post isn't the same as a test. Btw, Bulbapedia's been wrong before. Information sources can be wrong, because people are human.

The only solid way to end this argument is to:

(A) Have serebii admit they're wrong and change the entry
(B) Test it ingame and prove them wrong

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)