XY NU Eggy? Where's your switch in?

It's intro time!

Hai everyone, it's Teddeh here and this is my first RMT. Now I haven't done a proper one of these before (I'm just gonna go ahead and discount the awful one that I did ages ago with sigilyph xD) so be lenient on my RMTness. Roighhttt, all of the pokemon on my team have a massive role to play on this team, it's also a balance team, which is why I love it so much. I've had a lot of success with this team in a meta where weather is so dominant, it deals with it excellently with the options we have available for use as well as being very consistent against balance, hyper offense and stall. So for me, it ticks all the boxes for my personal preference and an excellent choice for a ladder team. While using this team, I managed to qualify for the play offs in the NU OLT and I managed to peak around 1690, however due to me being a pussy, I didn't ladder any further for the risk of losing points since I wanted to keep spot for the OLT. Understandable. However, the only screenshot I have is the one that is of me qualifying for the top 4:

However 7th may not seem like the best, I for one do not consider it to be acceptable for RMT standards, it is the only proof I have as I never intended to RMT this team anyway. Anyway, shall we move onto the team?

Team building process:

I started with specs exeggutor, this pokemon with the coverage is has, it is a nuke. It has no safe switch in unless you're going to protect scout with a ferroseed consistently to take me on (Realistic Waters you poopyhead however it was later changed to life orb to deal with this situation. Nevertheless, even life orb eggy has no switch in as a leaf storm/ psyshock combo destroys audino, probopass, hariyama. Along with coverage of HP fire for the likes of ferroseed, other exeggutors which are becoming increasingly popular. Point of the matter, it has no switch ins.

Next, I needed a physical check, something to take eggy's weaknesses. Weezing was by far the best bet and I slapped on a rocky helmet to punish the possible u-turns that will be coming eggys way. Why weezing over garbodor? Weezing has options such as flamethrower, will-o wisp and levitate which just makes it a better option for fighting spam (Kiyo you horse) and the ever so common kling klang that can barely touch the bulk of this floating ball of shit.

What next do we need to cover? if in doubt, hariyama. This is for Eggy's ice and fire weakness along with the counter to ever so common mons such as rotom, mismagius, typhlosion, pyroar and samurott. Hariyama was by far the most offensive and bulky option available allowing a lot of moveslot coverage and priority.

Looking at the first 3 pokes, we are rather vulnerable to the sweepiness of Gatr and kabutops, plus we needed stealth rocks, so there we have it; the toad. While having toad here, we already cover its grass weaknesses with eggy, weezing and yama so that isn't a problem. It allows the thought in the opponents mind to not click volt switch since we now have a ground type and we have stealth rocks. Overall, the best team player possible for the team as it does multiple jobs.

In the next slot, I wanted a solid switch in to psychic types and also a win condition. With musharna, it allows us utility with heal bell, a massive sponge for the likes of kanga, kabutops, hariyama, scarfed sawk and any other physical attack that can attempt to break through the bulk. With the massive hp number, you can switch in kindly on special attacks also without worry so it helps hariyama out as a spare special wall. Musharna also offers the best possible option as it is seriously underrated in the current meta.

In the last slot, we were weak to hazard stacking and we needed a fast revenge killer. So archeops was the best mon for the job. Since it has a nice base 110 speed, it is a nice revenge killer along with the usefulness of not having an item as a further knock off sponge. With this, we can further stop the likes of vivvilon leading and putting something to sleep with taunt and we can offer diversity with coverage with the likes of acrobatics, which can force switches for easy defog.

The team:

Exeggutor @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
Max speed and timid nature, by running timid over modest, you can still outspeed some varients of feraligatr and oh ko with giga drain or leaf storm along with giving yourself a solid switch in against sun team variants of exeggutor (i.e Iplaytennislol or sun players who run modest assuming they outspeed)
By running the combo of leaf storm, psyshock and hp fire, there is no solid switch in as leaf storm still does a solid 50% to xatu which can supposedly take all 3 of those moves effectively. As I said earlier, originally it was specs, however I changed it to life orb to stop the likes of ferroseed protect scouting to see what move you lock yourself into (i.e waters you're a horse).

Weezing @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
By running weezing over garbodor, you have a ground immunity as well as fire coverage, which stops the likes of klingklang setting up on you. I carry pain split as it has come in handy recovering the hp more times than I can count and will-o obviously to check physical attackers. Not to mention since I have defog archeops, there is no need to spike stack. I run sludge bomb over clear smog for damage reasons and to hit typhlosion for a clean 35% every time it tries switching in on the predicted will-o. Rocky helmet because fuck shedninja you can punish the u-turn of pokemon that come in on eggy after you get a kill, making sure you can punish it and force extra recoil damage. Along with this, weezing is also an excellent knock off sponge and can take on almost every knock off pokemon in the tier.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
By running thick fat yama, it's obvious this team needed a fire check since typhlosion and pyroar are being used by everyone and their sisters in the current meta. Now usually, I don't run fake out however of recent times, it is extremely useful and i didn't find myself needed any other coverage move, but rather more priority which is needed to get the clutch chip damage and as a revenge killer to slurpuff along with weezing if it gets weakened and puff drums. By running the 32 speed, you can get nice speed creep on other yamas aswell as other base 50s.

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 188 Def / 120 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
Seismitoad, the team player. Toad was perfect since it counters and checks so many mons in the tier right now that are common on offensive teams such as feraligatr, klingklang and kabutops. Not to mention I needed a stealth rocker on the team and a ground type was hella useful. By running scald, knock off and EQ, you hit everything you need to. By running this ev spread, I have mixed defenses for the secondary switch in on fire spam, mismagius, rotom and you can reply with knock off, eq or scald accordingly. However it may be a better option to run a slight extra amount of defense to take on the likes of klingklang and gatr more consistently.

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Heal Bell
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
Musharna, the sweeper and the most underrated threat in the tier currently. This pokemon with this moveset, can only be worn down by powerful special attackers with no calm mind or by banded dodrio's brave bird which surprised me by how much it does. By having calm mind, heal bell and moonlight, you can very rarely be worn down and the only problem to this set is dark typing. However, now that spiritomb has left the tier, it is no problem as they are not common. Common dark types such as pawniard and liepard are the only real common dark types in the tier, however they are both dealt with by weezing, toad, hariyama and archeops. Overall, musharna is very hard to stop once its setup and once it starts, it doesn't stop unless you are hit by crits or tricked.

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Acrobatics
- Defog
Finally, the last mon archeops. Now some of you will look at the spread and moveset and call me crazy, however it is by far my favourite archeops spread to date. By having taunt and roost, you can beat stall mons such as audino and other stally pokemon aswell as predict setup, stop status such as t-wave and beat mons like vivvilon with no problem. Banded sawk's knock off does barely 47& to an archeops... Not to mention it can, with the speed investment, still outspeed base 106 which is the highest relevant speed number in the tier disregarding speed ties or faster base speed pokemon. Having acrobatics as the only STAB move is nice as it is base 110, strong hitting stab move and can seriously cause sun and rain problems. By leading with Archeops, you can outspeed and taunt uxie's and you can ohko liepard after they set up weather.

Weaknesses:
So far, i have come across only 1 weakness to the team. Mesprit.

Now that mesprit is so versotile, no pokemon in the tier switches in safely. They can run mixed, physical, shadow ball, e-ball, psyshock, you name it. Since the common mesprit now carries shadow ball, musharna is no long a super safe switch in, and since it carries energy ball, ice beam, hp fire, knock off, psyshock, this team has no safe switch in. However, most mesprits don't carry shadow ball and choose to run a different move instead such as calm mind, healing wish etc etc. It is too versatile to switch in safely to.

However, you need to be cautious around getting rid of dark types for musharna.

Shoutouts:
Shoutout to AquajetBreloom for building the team with me in call, although I mainly used it xD
Kiyo For inspiring me to make an RMT and for making me love weezing so much more;)
Realistic Waters For sniping me 4 times in 2 days, you made me change eggys set -.-
TheCanadianWifier Come to showdown more often fuck uni
The Goomy For making every set tennis uses
Hollywood you fucking plonker
Montsegur Ty for all the help with my forum noobiness
Aladyyn Overall bae, driver pal companion
Iplaytennislol For giving me loads of points in the NU OLT even though I wasn't going to make top 4;)
Raseri Because you sir are a god
QueenOfLuvdiscs because your rage is the funniest thing I've heard in ages, plus you're a pal who just loves to be wound up ;D
SirDouche For being in many a skype call and being the soundest guy around, needs driver soon imo
FLCL For destroying my life on ladder yet never saying a word to me, ever.
Exeggutorial for being an egg;)
Thrillz For many a skype call and being a top palski

Hope you all enjoyed!

Last edited:
Nice team Teddeh! I've seen quite a few successful battles with this team, I really like the playstyle. I don't have anything I would really change, but I will note that Nasty Plot Mismagius (especially with Colbur Berry) is a big threat to this team if you lose archeops.
I generally like using a normal or dark type alongside seismitoad to block rotoms shadow ball when it comes to predictions, since hariyama will get worn down fairly quickly after switching into hits a few times.
If Hariyamas survivability is a problem, you could swap AV for leftovers and go with a more mixed defensive spread as well as using toxic over one of your attacks. While not as practical as AV, toxic on hariyama is a pretty good lure for things like tangela and seismitoad. While your team certainly doesn't struggle against the previous 2 mons, being able to cripple them on the switch can be helpful.
Nice ideas pal! But mag is not a problem. Hariyama can take care of him aswell as toad and aswell as archeops no problem. Toad has mainly spdef so rotom is only doing around 25% with shadow balls, so naturally the team actually fairs really well xD thank you for the suggestions though! :]

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Watching you play with this team is really fun, and I'm glad you RMTed it. It utilizes some really cool and underrated sets, and it covers most of the top metagame threats really well.

I can see how Mesprit could be a problem for your team, but I don't think it's really that big of an issue. You can always go into Musharna when Mesprit first comes in to scout its set and then adjust your game plan against it as necessary. Unless it hits you with a Specs Signal Beam or a Banded Knock Off, it should be relatively easy to recover. Still, one thing that could help out with Mesprit is Signal Beam over Heal Bell on Musharna. Even if you don't kill Mesprit, getting damage on it is really important so that you can finish it off later with Archeops, and Signal Beam allows you to do that. Heal Bell is nice for Hariyama in particular, but I don't think it's totally necessary.

I wouldn't really recommend using Leftovers Hariyama. It's a fine set, but on this team, having a more dedicated Fire-type switch-in is really important. As it stands, a well-played Specs Extrasensory Typhlosion can fuck you up, and switching to Leftovers just makes this weakness more profound. I don't think you need to switch anything to cover this because you should be able to play around it most of the time, but you should avoid exacerbating that weakness.

Like I said earlier, your team does a great job of covering most of the top metagame threats, so there's really not much else to add. Great work, you fucking plonker.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cool team, but I think your team struggles a bit with its lack of Speed. Outside of Archeops, you really don't have any fast Pokemon, which kind of puts you at a disadvantage against faster mons that can punch through your defensive core since you don't have many ways to pressure them. I don't want to suggest too much because your team has most of its roles set in stone and I don't want to mess with its synergy too much, but you could try Thunder Wave over Heal Bell on Musharna. You can paralyze Mesprit which makes it a lot easier for the rest of your team to handle, and helps against general fast offensive stuff that can take advantage of Mush. Another option is Sceptile > Eggy, but seeing as you built around it you probably don't want to take that route lol

Cool team, but I think your team struggles a bit with its lack of Speed. Outside of Archeops, you really don't have any fast Pokemon, which kind of puts you at a disadvantage against faster mons that can punch through your defensive core since you don't have many ways to pressure them. I don't want to suggest too much because your team has most of its roles set in stone and I don't want to mess with its synergy too much, but you could try Thunder Wave over Heal Bell on Musharna. You can paralyze Mesprit which makes it a lot easier for the rest of your team to handle, and helps against general fast offensive stuff that can take advantage of Mush. Another option is Sceptile > Eggy, but seeing as you built around it you probably don't want to take that route lol
I prefer eggy to sceptile because sceptile is unreliable when hitting things with coverage such as focus blast:/ and t-wave could be a possible option. it's more a passive team in the way it deals with threats though as it has a switch in for everything with offensive presence, i don't really find speed a problem as long as i prioritise my pokemon xD but thank you for the suggestions pal :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)