Other Metagames Drops of Mercury: A Monotype Poison Team

Eyyyyyyy Uncle Stunny again showcasing a poison team I've been working on the past few weeks! Poison is a type that really interested me, and it took me forever to get a grasp on how it works. What's nice is the team is quite offensive, which typically isn't a normal on a balanced/defensive type. The team itself has had some success on the ladder (despite the ridiculous amount of hax I experienced), and in tours including OTs. Aside from that, I've been really enjoying this team a lot. Onto the team!

Scolipede @ Choice Band

Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

What annoyed me, the first time picking up poison, was the lack of powerful attackers it had. Most of the wallbreakers were pretty sub par, except for this guy. Choice Band gives him a bit more firepower than LO, and allows me to run an extra coverage move (which is what annoyed me most with the LO Protect set). I decided to run Aqua Tail over Earthquake, mostly because I felt like the team had enough EQ coverage, so I felt maybe Aqua Tail would be a nice addition to sweep ground, especially getting a handy 2KO on Lando-I. In this set your forced to run Jolly so that you can still outspeed Mega Charizard Y, and hit it quickly with a Rock Slide for an OHKO. Superpower is very handy, especially for steel and the eviolite twins, being able to 2KO Porygon2 after SR. He's probably the MVP of the team, hands down, being able to singly handedly sweep Psychic after +1 speed boost, break most Physical Walls with Megahorn, and typically clean.

Gengar @ Life Orb

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball

Gengar is a very nice mon to have on poison teams. It sits at a great speed tier, its part ghost typing allows it to spinblock (and also allows it to go toe-to-toe against psychic teams), and you can basically run anything on it to fit your teams needs. In this scenario, I'm running an offensive LO set. Sludge Bomb is your primary STAB, and has a very nice poisoning chance (hence why I prefer it over Sludge Wave), and Shadow Ball is your secondary. Dazzling Gleam is for them pesky Dragons and Dark mons that can often cause trouble against this type in general. Energy Ball is to help with Ground and Water (Keldeo, Manaphy, Swampert, Rotom-Wash, ect can be annoying to get around...). However, if you feel need be, HP Ice is also good.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite

Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 240 HP / 56 Atk / 212 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Petal Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

Classic Godchef set. This literally auto-wins against so much, its broken lol. A couple Curse boosts and your pretty much set, just be sure to keep him away from stuff that can cause burns, and save him late game. Otherwise, tbh he's beast, he'll almost always play a role in your matches, other than maybe against Fire and Psychic.

Nigel (Nidoking) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Sheer Force
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave

Nidoking is a fantastic mon in general. Provides great special coverage, and can function as either a late game sweeper, or a wallbreaker. Here I decided to make him Choice Scarfed, given that despite Gengar and Scolipede are pretty fast, they don't always perform well against common scarfers. Nidoking, however, not everyone first expects, so it can sometimes be easy to send in. With Modest Nature it does just as much damage, if not maybe slightly less than Nidoqueen, at the cost of being outsped by base 80 scarfers like Gardevoir and Togekiss. Like Venusaur, try your best to save him late game, and you should be set.

Skuntank @ Life Orb

Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Crunch
- Defog

This is my obligatory Dark mon, so I get that nice immunity to Psychic. With Skunky I knocked out 2 birds with 1 stone, Priority (very useful especially for Victini) and Hazard Control. He's mostly there to help weaken some faster threats, with LO STAB Sucker Punch (unresisted at least), and then (if its hit by a physical attack at least), dealing 25% with Aftermath. Poison Jab is a nice posion STAB with a nice chance to poison your opponent on emergency. The reason I'm running Crunch over Pursuit is because 1, if your opponent isn't switching out, Pursuit is pretty weak, this is just a straightfoward additional STAB with a nice chance to lower the opponent's defense if you wanna push your luck.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb

EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 124 Spe OR 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpA
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

My Rocks setter. Overall it is deceptively powerful thanks to LO and Sheer Force, and it has suprisingly good bulk, being able to live some pretty strong unboosted attacks. I decided since I scarfed Nidoking, I'd make Nidoqueen LO so I get the coverage that I want, and also be able to do damage, The speed evs allow it to creep Adamant Bisharp and Breloom, which can often be annoying to face.

Threats:
Scarf especially, this thing can be painfully annoying to get around. If Nidoqueen/Skuntank don't get flinched and manage to hit it, that's all you cna really do. Otherwise you can make Nidoking Timid, but then you lose out on a a lot of power in my opinion.

This can really boost against anything and wreck. Be sure to get Venusaur to +2 prior, and you should be alright against it.

Hawlucha is extremely threatening, since after +2 and Unburden boost, it can tear up everything into a million pieces. Hope thank Skunk can prevent it from at least getting an sd, and be able to revenge kill it.

This team honestly does not like Fighting in general, especially Mega Medicham. Either have Skunk revenge kill it, or keep Gengar's health high to take a Bullet Punch.

Scolipede @ Choice Band
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 240 HP / 56 Atk / 212 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Petal Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

Nigel (Nidoking) @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave

Skuntank @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Crunch
- Defog

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 124 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:
I like your take on Poison, which I think is a really fun type to use in the metagame, since it has a good selection of offensive Pokemon at its disposal. I see that you've had some success with this team, but I think you can go even further with it with just a few tweaks here and there.

First off, I would adjust Scolipede's EVs to the simple 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe, still with a Jolly Nature. As far as I know, you don't miss out on much by moving those EVs away from HP, but, since Scolipede sits at such a crucial Speed tier, running max Speed is really worth it in the long run. For instance, you now immediately outspeed base 110s, which include Lati@s and Mega Gallade (the latter of which especially threatens you) and revenge kill them with Megahorn.

252 Atk Choice Band Scolipede Megahorn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gallade: 255-301 (92 - 108.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Gengar is just one of those Pokemon that have an absurd amount of coverage moves and can change their moveslots pretty flexibly, so I would use Hidden Power Ice / Taunt / Filler > Energy Ball. I really don't see the need for Energy Ball. Mega Venusaur takes advantage of all of its targets that you listed, so you could find space for something more useful. Hidden Power Ice lets you OHKO Gliscor, Landorus (T), and Garchomp, while Taunt completely shuts down Chansey and Hippowdon, stopping Stealth Rock. Surprising Landorus-I with Hidden Power Ice is pretty important, considering Mega Venusaur practically sweeps Ground once Landorus is removed. Of course there are many other options, but I think those would be the best two.

Lastly, I would like to suggest using Physically Defensive Nidoqueen > Offensive Nidoqueen. Although this is an offensive team, I think that Nidoqueen would an a useful bit of defensive backbone. You still maintain decent offensive pressure since Nidoqueen hits lots of stuff hard with her coverage moves, but you can take on lots of tough physical attackers (Staraptor, Hawlucha, barely live Scarf Lando-T's Earthquake and OHKO back) at the same time. I would say that this change would be least important, as you do lose a considerable amount of power, but Nidoqueen's bulk is often underestimated, so I thought I'd bring it up. Oh, and, you obviously won't be outspeeding Bisharp anymore, but you will avoid the OHKO from a +2 LO Sucker Punch now, and you can still Speed creep Heatran.
Scolipede @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt / Hidden Power Ice

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold
Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower / Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Good luck with the team, hope I helped!

...oh, hey, looks like this is my 100th post .3.

Last edited:

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
This is a really nice team, and just a heads up im gonna be rmting my poison team I used for LTLC soon ;]

I like your take on Poison, which I think is a really fun type to use in the metagame, since it has a good selection of offensive Pokemon at its disposal. I see that you've had some success with this team, but I think you can go even further with it with just a few tweaks here and there.

First off, I would adjust Scolipede's EVs to the simple 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe, still with a Jolly Nature. As far as I know, you don't miss out on much by moving those EVs away from HP, but, since Scolipede sits at such a crucial Speed tier, running max Speed is really worth it in the long run. For instance, you now immediately outspeed base 110s, which include Lati@s and Mega Gallade (the latter of which especially threatens you) and revenge kill them with Megahorn.

252 Atk Choice Band Scolipede Megahorn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gallade: 255-301 (92 - 108.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Gengar is just one of those Pokemon that have an absurd amount of coverage moves and can change their moveslots pretty flexibly, so I would use Hidden Power Ice / Taunt / Filler > Energy Ball. I really don't see the need for Energy Ball. Mega Venusaur takes advantage of all of its targets that you listed, so you could find space for something more useful. Hidden Power Ice lets you OHKO Gliscor, Landorus (T), and Garchomp, while Taunt completely shuts down Chansey and Hippowdon, stopping Stealth Rock. Surprising Landorus-I with Hidden Power Ice is pretty important, considering Mega Venusaur practically sweeps Ground once Landorus is removed. Of course there are many other options, but I think those would be the best two.

Lastly, I would like to suggest using Physically Defensive Nidoqueen > Offensive Nidoqueen. Although this is an offensive team, I think that Nidoqueen would an a useful bit of defensive backbone. You still maintain decent offensive pressure since Nidoqueen hits lots of stuff hard with her coverage moves, but you can take on lots of tough physical attackers (Staraptor, Hawlucha, barely live Scarf Lando-T's Earthquake and OHKO back) at the same time. I would say that this change would be least important, as you do lose a considerable amount of power, but Nidoqueen's bulk is often underestimated, so I thought I'd bring it up. Oh, and, you obviously won't be outspeeding Bisharp anymore, but you will avoid the OHKO from a +2 LO Sucker Punch now, and you can still Speed creep Heatran.
Scolipede @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt / Hidden Power Ice

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold
Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower / Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Good luck with the team, hope I helped!

...oh, hey, looks like this is my 100th post .3.
I've been meaning to reply to this, I've been pretty busy this week, but, now I can. This is rly helpful actually, I completely ignored that Scoli with a Jolly nature can outrun the Mega Gallade and the Lati's. Thanks for the eye opener. Physical Defensive Nidoqueen doesn't sound like a bad idea either, Hawlucha has been pretty painful to go against.

The 1 thing I'd probably disagree with is the Gengar suggestion. With Energy Ball this adds a lot more applied pressure to ground/water teams, even landing some crucial OHKO's against Manaphy and Keldeo. I can see though why Taunt would be good. Thanks a bunch man! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)