Dragonite

On the bulky 3 attack roost set, I see slight potential for weakness policy. A +2 ESpeed can OHKO potential revenge killers and +2 DClaw facilitate in winning stall wars with the combination of roost. Though I have to admit that leftovers provide longetivity for DNite and WP actually defeats the purpose of this set's usage. Still viable in my humble opinion, not?

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
Yea considering its role you kind of really want Leftovers. I wouldn't even come close to slashing Weakness Policy, especially since you're too slow/weak for way too many threats before getting neutered (Rotom-W burns you first, you still can't kill Hippowdon, etc).

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Definitely with CBB on this one. I would slash Lum Berry sooner than Weakness Policy on the last set.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
CrashinBoomBang After making some calcs, it turns out your calc is correct after all.

Dragonite's HP after SR: 377 - 94 = 283 HP
Landorus-I's LO Sheer Force Sludge Wave: 153 damage (max damage)
Dragonite's HP after Sludge Wave: 283 - 153 + 23 (Leftovers) = 153
Chance for Landorus-I to land max damage twice in a row: (1/16) x (1/16) = 0.0039 = 0.4%

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
Alright, cool, I was really hoping Showdown's calculator wasn't giving out wrong information.

Really though, there need to be more input on this! Do we use those EVs or the EVs that always survive 2 or different ones altogether?? We need to decide on something here.

I think that a .4% chance to be KOd is fine, after all that's less likely than a crit, so nothing to worry about. I'm not as much of a fan of the mixed set because I feel like that's more of just a lure than anything. I think the best set is the simple Dragon Claw / Earthquake / Extremespeed / Roost.

Punchshroom

CrashinBoomBang's original spread is really the most efficient. Trading HP for more Special Defense means Dragonite takes more from physical attacks; trading Special Defense for HP actually increases the chance of Lando-I 2HKOing Dragonite. 216 HP / 228 SpD stays.

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
I'm pretty sure those are the least EVs necessary that still allow you to run Adamant while ~almost always avoiding the 2HKO. If someone has a spread that uses less than 444 EVs I'm all ears, but I'm pretty sure I fumbled around with the EVs for like half an hour and didn't get anything more efficient.

Last edited:
Ferrothorn, Forretress, Scizor, and Skarmory,

I think Fire Punch should be slashed on the Offensive DD Dragonite. All 4 of those pokemon are immediate threats. Scizor can Bullet Punch, Roost, or SD and win (if SR is up.) While if you are caught with your pants down Outraging a steel because they outplayed, or brought the Skarm/Ferro/Forry in on the switch they can get 1-2 layers of hazards or a Rapid Spin/Thunder Wave. I consider those very threatening. Ferro can Leech Seed you, and has a shot of cutting your sweep much shorter or forcing you out if you don't run Fire Punch.

You can still use +1 Outrage to 2hko a Spdef Heatran, or a normal Heatran. You can also 2hko a defensive Rachi with Fire Punch if need be. (You have Lum for a Body Slam.)

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Forretress is ass as is Jirachi, however I agreet that pressuring Skarm and Ferro are pretty usful what EQ does mainly is beat aegislash who comfortably tanks +1 Fire Punch and plays nasty King's Shield mindgames.

EQ is also more effective on Azumarill who is an issue too. Fire Punch was once a slash but it was relegated to moves for conciseness that lack of slashes provides.

Ash Borer

Thoughts on Thunder Wave as a mention in moves for the bulky set? Its not so much a parashuffler, but a defensive set with Paralysis to sling around is always good. I suppose it could be used over extremespeed.

Other than that this analysis is quite good.

QC 3/4

Thoughts on Thunder Wave as a mention in moves for the bulky set? Its not so much a parashuffler, but a defensive set with Paralysis to sling around is always good. I suppose it could be used over extremespeed.

Other than that this analysis is quite good.

QC 3/4
I can attest to the effectiveness of this :[

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I'd like the 24 Def evs to go into AC, and put heavy emphasis that living CB Play rough is only really relevant if you have Weakness Policy, because otherwise speed is important, especially against other Dragonite and what not. DD Dragonite with Lum Berry should really not be setting up against Azumaril anyway -- unless your WP.

Lastly, what speeds does BulkyRoost hit without investment? I'd aim for outrunning 208 at least since that's what BulkyWash hits (and we really don't want to get burned, now do we?) . . . I'd also try outrunning 219 speed, since that's what Jolly Azumaril hits and Adamant / Modest max speed Aegislash hits iirc.

I don't see the why would outspeeding Rotom-W is that crucial, because if you sacrifice bulk cant beat Landorus-I, Thundurus-I, Greninja, Latios 1v1 as well as you would like to and you end up being 2HKOed by every single one more often. Looking at calcs if you run speed for 208 Rotom-W:

252 SpA Life Orb Landorus Hidden Power Ice vs. 216 HP / 182 SpD Dragonite: 265-317 (70.2 - 84%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 216 HP / 182 SpD Dragonite: 216-256 (57.2 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 216 HP / 182 SpD Dragonite in Sun: 132-156 (35 - 41.3%) -- 66% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

All of those 2HKO 2/3 of the time whereas before they had a slim chance to 2hko or were 3hko. If you sacrifice power you lose the ability to be able to 2HKO them with Dragon Claw + Extreme Speed. If you want to run more speed to hit 219 for 44 Speed Rotom-W the chances of you being 2HKO grows significantly. You dont really need to worry too much about Rotom-W's Will-o-Wisps since you can always pair Dragonite with a Cleric such as Clefable or have something else to absord WoWs.

Plus, there really isn't a need to run max speed jolly Azumarill since all Rotom-W are running 44 Speed so Azu is outsped. As for Aegislash, you can take 2 Shadow Balls from it, avoid being 2HKOd and kill with EQ so the speed is still not necessary in the situation.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't see the why would outspeeding Rotom-W is that crucial, because if you sacrifice bulk cant beat Landorus-I, Thundurus-I, Greninja, Latios 1v1 as well as you would like to and you end up being 2HKOed by every single one more often. Looking at calcs if you run speed for 208 Rotom-W:

252 SpA Life Orb Landorus Hidden Power Ice vs. 216 HP / 182 SpD Dragonite: 265-317 (70.2 - 84%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 216 HP / 182 SpD Dragonite: 216-256 (57.2 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 216 HP / 182 SpD Dragonite in Sun: 132-156 (35 - 41.3%) -- 66% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

All of those 2HKO 2/3 of the time whereas before they had a slim chance to 2hko or were 3hko. If you sacrifice power you lose the ability to be able to 2HKO them with Dragon Claw + Extreme Speed. If you want to run more speed to hit 219 for 44 Speed Rotom-W the chances of you being 2HKO grows significantly. You dont really need to worry too much about Rotom-W's Will-o-Wisps since you can always pair Dragonite with a Cleric such as Clefable or have something else to absord WoWs.

Plus, there really isn't a need to run max speed jolly Azumarill since all Rotom-W are running 44 Speed so Azu is outsped. As for Aegislash, you can take 2 Shadow Balls from it, avoid being 2HKOd and kill with EQ so the speed is still not necessary in the situation.
Yu forgot to point out how Rotom-W likes to creep, meaning that EVing to outpace it is pretty irrellevant.

Punchshroom

I'd like the 24 Def evs to go into AC, and put heavy emphasis that living CB Play rough is only really relevant if you have Weakness Policy, because otherwise speed is important, especially against other Dragonite and what not. DD Dragonite with Lum Berry should really not be setting up against Azumaril anyway -- unless your WP.
Yeah, the 24 EVs is only truly relevant on WP Nites, but Lum Nites do want the extra Speed, since they can beat WP Nites in a one-on-one matchup with Dragon Dance + Outrage. I'll put it in Set Details, since it is pretty important for WP Nite but not for Lum.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i'd like to see wp removed to set details. reasoning:

16:26 jukain hm
16:26 jukain in regards to dnite
16:26 jukain im not a fan of
16:26 jukain weakness policy
16:26 jukain in general
16:26 CyclicCompound I support weakness policy
16:26 CyclicCompound I think lum is generally better but wp can be scary and effective
16:27 dice meh
16:27 dice i imagine weakness policy as one of those 12 y/o asian imports that bkc gets from mexico
16:28 dice while lum berry is a High Class Hooker
16:28 dice u just get more use out of 1

Lum is so good for DNite. It can take a burn, switch into Breloom with impunity, ignore the Thund-I TWave, or even just cure Outrage. WP is inconsistent in that it's entirely reliant on Multiscale and the opponent smacking DNite with SE attacks. It's cool when it works but not main set material.

Reactions: Muk

Punchshroom

i'd like to see wp removed to set details. reasoning:

16:26 jukain hm
16:26 jukain in regards to dnite
16:26 jukain im not a fan of
16:26 jukain weakness policy
16:26 jukain in general
16:26 CyclicCompound I support weakness policy
16:26 CyclicCompound I think lum is generally better but wp can be scary and effective
16:27 dice meh
16:27 dice i imagine weakness policy as one of those 12 y/o asian imports that bkc gets from mexico
16:28 dice while lum berry is a High Class Hooker
16:28 dice u just get more use out of 1

Lum is so good for DNite. It can take a burn, switch into Breloom with impunity, ignore the Thund-I TWave, or even just cure Outrage. WP is inconsistent in that it's entirely reliant on Multiscale and the opponent smacking DNite with SE attacks. It's cool when it works but not main set material.
I've already acknowledged Lum as being way superior, hence the first slash, but it's pretty hard to ignore the use of Weakness Policy on Dragonite against offensive teams, which must either inadvertently activate it or just wear away at Nite with weaker attacks, both of which end up giving Dragonite the opportunity to snag multiple boosts. I could unslash it if I see more support against WP.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've already acknowledged Lum as being way superior, hence the first slash, but it's pretty hard to ignore the use of Weakness Policy on Dragonite against offensive teams, which must either inadvertently activate it or just wear away at Nite with weaker attacks, both of which end up giving Dragonite the opportunity to snag multiple boosts. I could unslash it if I see more support against WP.
I talked with other QC members and the general consensus is that it is situationally ok. Support for deslashing includes ginganinja, Dice, and CBB.

Punchshroom

I talked with other QC members and the general consensus is that it is situationally ok. Support for deslashing includes ginganinja, Dice, and CBB.
CBB himself? That's enough for me to deslash.

Jukain, with Lum Berry as the sole item, I feel Dragon Claw isn't worthy of being slashed anymore. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Ash Borer

Dragon Claw, in my opinion isn't worth slashing. It's just weak, it has a mere 20 power on EQ, if there is a situation where you need to hit something weak/frail and not lock yourself in, EQ and E-speed are there, while Outrage offers that needed power to muscle past stuff

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
AM Check:
Remove
Add
Overview
########
One of the premier Dragons of the tier, Dragonite has remained a powerful force since the transition into the new generation. It is a powerful combination of bulk and strength, and Multiscale allows it to take hits at an even greater calibre. It has as terrific offensive movepool allows it to threaten a majority of opponents, but being a Dragon-type, it only really needs to cover what its STAB does not hit hard. Stat wise, it doesn't have any real flaws that stand out flaws, as Dragon Dance and Extreme Speed help patch up its lowest stat in Speed. Despite being very well rounded, it can still be slow enough to be dealt with since it often moves after its opponents unless it is using an unSTABed Extreme Speed. It is also somewhat reliant on Multiscale to truly stand out amongst its Dragon brethren, so it may underperform if it does not get to use its ability should it get deactivated by residual damage. Its versatility is no longer its most potent trait, as it now faces competition from several new faces, mainly Mega Evolutions that can also Dragon Dance and pack a much greater punch and possess better STABs, as well as Zygarde which also shares Extreme Speed with it and even has STAB on its Earthquake. The introduction of Fairies has also not been kind to Dragonite, as they have made its STAB more difficult to spam. That said, there is no denying that Dragonite is a potent threat due to its balanced stats and movepool, and is one of the main threats to watch out for in the metagame.

Dragon Dance
########
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Extreme Speed
move 4: Earthquake
ability: Multiscale
item: Lum Berry
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Moves
========
Dragon Dance patches up Dragonite's lacking Speed and boosts its Attack even further, which readyingies Dragonite to sweep through its opponent. Outrage is Dragonite's strongest attack and hits crazextremely hard after a single boost, but it locks Dragonite in and confuses it afterward using it, making it a risky attack to spam and sweep with, but is very useful for opening holes in the opponent's team due to its sheer power. Extreme Speed is one of Dragonite's unique traits and main selling points, outspeeding priority users such as Mamoswine, Thundurus, and Talonflame thanks to its +2 priority, as well as Choice Scarf users that intend to circumvent Dragonite's speed boost, though it would require its targets to be weakened in order to achieve KOes. Earthquake offers good neutral coverage with Dragonite's STAB, demolishing Heatran and Aegislash while not making contact with the latter so as to avoid King's Shield.

Dragonite has some alternatives in which tothan can replace Earthquake with if other threats bother Dragonite. Fire Punch can be used to hit Ferrothorn, Forretress, Scizor, and Skarmory, though they do not otherwise pose immediate threats. Thunder Punch nails Togekiss and Azumarill, while still doing good damage to Skarmory. Roost is an option to reactivate Multiscale and take super effective hits better, but Dragonite dislikes sacrificing coverage or priority.

Set Details
========
Maximum Attack and Speed with Adamant is pretty straightforward fror Dragonite, as it gives it the greatest sweeping potential after a single Dragon Dance, with the remaining EVs going into Defense instead of HP to minimize Stealth Rock damage. Alternatively, Dragonite may opt for Weakness Policy, which takes a slightly different but very effective approach towards its EV placement. 24 EVs go into Defense, which seems relatively insignificant but it always allows Dragonite to survive Play Rough from Choice Band Azumarill, provided Multiscale is active, adding a Weakness Policy setup target to the list. The remaining 232 Speed EVs are just enough to outrun Timid Noivern after a Dragon Dance, the fastest threat it would like to outspeed naturally, as faster threats can and should be hit with Extreme Speed. It also should also be noted that Weakness Policy Dragonite should run Dragon Claw as their STAB move, since Weakness Policy can make up for the lower power and does not lock Dragonite in, which can blow the one-time Weakness Policy sweep. Lum Berry is generally more useful since it allows Dragonite to set up on status users such as Rotom-W, weakened Thundurus-I, and Gliscor, as well as snapping Dragonite out of Outrage confusion. Weakness Policy lets Dragonite take advantage of super effective hits from such Pokemon such as Garchomp, Sylveon, Azumarill, and Tyranitar, but requires Mulitiscale to be active and even then mayight be useless.

Usage Tips
========
Dragonite should aim to set up one Dragon Dance and clean up from there, so it should best be saved until lategame when its potential counters and checks are removed or weakened. Alternatively, it can setup early to punch holes into the opponent's team so that its teammates can finish off their weakened checks and counters. Dragonite can find setup opportunities in Heatran, Keldeo, Mega Venusaur, and various Choiced attacks that do not threaten Dragonite, the list increasingespecially with Multiscale taken into account. Lum Berry Dragonite can set up safely on walls that have little offensive power and rely on status for their form of damage, such as Chansey, or it and Skarmory. It also can save its Lum Berry to allow for longer sweeps using Outrage without interference from confusion. Weakness Policy Dragonite can occasionally afford to switch into a super effective hit, though that would deny you the opportunity to boost your Speed; usuallyas it would usually take advantage of weaker attackers with a super effective move to either discourage their attack and keep Dragonite's Multiscale intact; hit Dragonite with a weaker move which allows Dragonite to remain healthy; or activate Dragonite's Weakness Policy to let it net +3 Attack and +1 Speed in one fell swoop. Do note that Dragonite cannot or should not be taking an STAB Ice-type move, regardless oeven if Multiscale is intact.

Team Options
========
Lum Berry Dragonite likes partners that can lure in walls for it to set up on: Greninja not only has access to U-turn to do this, but also knows Spikes to further support Dragonite, while Rotom-W and Scizor easily lures in Grass-types and Fire-types respectively. Weakness Policy Dragonite requires a bit more support as it would like to face off against Fairy-types, Rock-types and Dragon-types: Conkeldurr easily lures in Fairy-types, Talonflame draws in Rock-types, and Keldeo brings Latios and Latias in. U-turn would make this easier for Dragonite: U-turn Mandibuzz, Talonflame, or Noivern and Volt Switch Rotom-W can allow Dragonite to face off against its desired opponents. Regardless of Dragonite's coverage move of choice, Magnezone makes a great partner due to its ability to handle problematic Steel-types and Fairy-types, while also covering each other's weaknesses nicely; Magnezone can also lure in Fire-, Fighting-, and Ground-types, the former two of which Magnezone can Volt Switch away from and bring Dragonite in unharmed.

Since Multiscale is a big factor to Dragonite's success, a Rapid Spinner or Defogger makes a welcome teammate: Excadrill, Skarmory, and Scizor can take care of Fairy- and Steel-types, with Excadrill also handling Rock-types, Starmie or Mega-Blastoise can cover Dragonite's Ice weakness, while Latias and Latios can help lure in and weaken the opponents Dragon resists to allow Dragonite an easier time sweeping. Wallbreakers such as Kyurem-B and Aegislash are useful for softening foes for Dragonite to clean up, and Mega Charizard Y even havings Drought to prevent Sandstorm from breaking Dragonite's Multiscale. While not essential, a Dual Screens user makes setting up with Dragonite even easier: Klefki is best for the job due to the good defensive synergy between the two, and it even knows Spikes to support Dragonite.

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Extreme Speed
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Fire Punch / Dragon Claw
item: Choice Band
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Moves
========
Choice Band Outrage hits like a nuke, 2HKOing any non-resist at worst. Choice Band Extreme Speed allows Dragonite to revenge kill sweepers and get an edge against faster foes in general. Earthquake is Dragonite's best bet against Steel-types, crushing Heatran and Aegislash as well as hitting most for at least neutral damage. Fire Punch hits the remaining non Ground-weak Steel-types, such as Scizor and Ferrothorn, extremely hard. Dragon Claw provides Dragonite reliable STAB to use if Outrage is too risky to use, and is a safe move to throw out in times of uncertainty.

Set Details
========
Since Dragonite cannot boost its Speed, nor can it make use of its bulk, a straightforward 252 Atk / 252 Spe spread works best, and can speedtie Pokemon such as Togekiss and Chandelure. The leftover EVs are put into either Defense or Special Defense, as 4 HP EVs incur more Stealth Rock damage. Choice Band lets Dragonite wreck without the need to boost, hitting hard right off the bat and possibly conserving health. Adamant maximizes Dragonite's power, which can allow its un-STABed Extreme Speed to hit fast, frail threats harder, but Jolly is a possible option as it lets Dragonite outpace neutral base 92s, which would include Excadrill, Gyarados, offensive Rotom-W, unevolved Lucario, unevolved Pinsir, Landorus-T and Mega-Garchomp, as well as speedtying fellow positive base 80s.

Usage Tips
========
Choice Band Dragonite is more oriented towards hit-and-run, played as either a reckless early game wallbreaker to open up sweeps for teammates, or as a revenge killing tool with Extreme Speed to threaten frailer threats. The combination of Multiscale, tremendous power, and Extreme Speed lets Dragonite threaten offensive and defensive opponents alike. Choiced Outrage isn't so bad when you consider that a direct switch-in with a Fairy-type will not lock Dragonite in, only after Dragonite has pounded something's face in can it not switch. Switching in and out is easier for Choice Band Dragonite since it retains its boosted strength without the need to boost every time, unlike Dragon Dance Dragonite. Preserving Multiscale is advised, but otherwise isn't a huge priority.

Team Options
========
The hit-and-run strategy of this set means the absence of Stealth Rock on Dragonite's side of the field is mandatory; Excadrill, Starmie and Mega-Blastoise make great spinners that can keep up the offensive momentum while covering Dragonite's weaknesses. Defoggers such as Latios, Latias, and Scizor also work well, the former two weakening Dragon resists while the latter sports good defensive synergy with Dragonite. Once again, Magnezone makes an admirable partner since it can trap Steel-types and deal with Fairy-types. Aegislash and Bisharp are good teammates that synergize well defensively with Dragonite and punish the opponent's Fairies, but and they can also Pursuit trap the Lati twins who otherwise majorly threaten Dragonite.

Dragonite, like any other offensive Pokemon, appreciates hazard support (though this can be more difficult to provide if a Defogger is used);, so Klefki and Excadrill make decent choices as far as defensive synergy goes, as do offensive powerhouses such as Mamoswine, Landorus, and Tyranitar to help keep the pressure on the opponent. Pokemon that can make use of Dragonite's wallbreaking make great partners, in particular, Mega Charizard X in particular likes having Azumarill, Landorus-T, and Heatran lured and weakened before its sweep, while they weaken each other's checks in return.

Bulky Roost
########
name: Bulky Roost
move 1: Roost
move 2: Dragon Claw
move 3: Extreme Speed
move 4: Earthquake
item: Leftovers
evs: 216 HP / 64 Atk / 228 SpD

Moves
========
Roost gives Dragonite longevity, allowing it to continue tanking threats while dishing out damage. The combination of STAB Dragon Claw and Extreme Speed provide a double whammy against faster foes, providing what is essentially a 120 + 80 = 200 BP attack at its disposal. This combination can wipe out most frailer opponents such as Thundurus, Talonflame, and Greninja, or opposing Dragon-types such as Garchomp and Mega Charizard X, before Dragonite takes a second hit, while heavily denting most neutral attackers. SaiThe aforementioned combination is resisted by Steel-type Pokemon, and Earthquake is the best option to deal with Heatran, Aegislash, and Mega Mawile. Fire Punch is an option to hit Skarmory and Ferrothorn with, but this Dragonite's relative lack of power compared to other sets means it fails to 2HKO them (Ferrothorn can avoid it with Leech Seed), so they are better off left to teammates to handle. Thunder Wave is a possible option over Extreme Speed as an alternative method to outspeed opponents albeit permanently, but it doesn't do damage so it cannot finish off weakened opponents.

Set Details
========
64 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature reaches a jump point in Attack, providing two extra Attack EVs instead of one over running 60 EVs. The remaining EVs are placed into HP and Special Defense, with this particular blend giving Dragonite the most efficient special bulk, taking the least amount of damage from special attacks. Leftovers is of course the best item for a Dragonite designed to take a beating.

Usage Tips
========
This Dragonite operates as a tank, taking full advantage of its bulk, Multiscale, and its offensive capabilities in order to beat some of the tier's most dangerous attackers one on one. In fact, bulky Dragonite can actually survive a Life Orb Ice Beam from Protean Greninja with help from Multiscale. This of course means that this Dragonite can take some of the weaker Ice-type moves it encounters, such as Hidden Power Ice Thundurus-I and Icy Wind Keldeo, as well as powerful 2x effective attacks such as Life Orb Latios's Draco Meteor, and proceed to defeat these threats. This Dragonite's special bulk is not be underestimated even if Multiscale is broken, as it can take two of Landorus-I's Sludge Wave, Aegislash's Shadow Ball, and Mega Charizard Y's sun fueled Fire Blast even after taking Stealth Rock damage, with only a very miniscule chance for the former's attack to net the 2HKO on the switch. These, as one might have noticed, are some of the most powerful neutral special attacks in the tier, and Dragonite can comfortably take them. With Multiscale intact, you can expect bulky Dragonite to withstand some physical abuse as well, taking hits from physical attackers such as Mega Pinsir, Mega Charizard X, Garchomp, and Bisharp.

Team Options
========
This Dragonite mostly aims to support its teammates rather than vice versa, as it is designed to withstand some of the most powerful special attacks in the tier. It would want Multiscale intact to function at its fullest capacity, so anti-hazard support is very much appreciated. Excadrill is not only the best candidate for Rapid Spin support, but can also provide Stealth Rock support while complementing Dragonite defensively;. Dragonite can take on attackers such as Landorus-I, Keldeo, and Mega Charizard Y that threaten Excadrill, while Excadrill shields Dragonite from various Fairy-, Dragon- and Rock-type moves. Heatran also has great synergy with Dragonite, covering each other's weaknesses perfectly while still maintaining offensive presence. Bulky Dragonite heavily dislikes status as ithey heavily interferes with its tanking role, and even paralysis can interrupt its two-hit combo of Dragon Claw + Extreme Speed. Clerics such as Vaporeon, Sylveon, and Clefable can cure Dragonite of status, and even use Wish to restore the latter's Multiscale;. Vaporeon also resists Ice-type attacks for Dragonite, while the Fairyies can guard against Dragons in case Dragonite got caught out against them without its Multiscale active. Offensive teams like Dragonite's tanking capabilities without losing much offensive momentum, so naturally its best partners are sweepers who have weaknesses to types that Dragonite resists, especially Steel-type Pokemon such as Mega Mawile, Excadrill, and Mega Scizor, which would make great teammates since they can defeat troublesome Fairies for Dragonite, which pose a bigger problem than ever for bulky Dragonite due to its inability to hurt them as much as other Dragonite sets.

Other Options
########
Dragonite's Rain wallbreaker set makes the most of its diverse coverage, withutilizing Hurricane, Thunder, and Superpower to handle threats that pose problems to Rain teams. However, its compariatively low Speed can cost momentum for the Rain team, and it forgoes its most notable asset in Multiscale since it must use Life Orb. Dragonite has access to some Steel-type moves such as Iron Head and Iron Tail, but they are only really good for pure Fairies, since its elemental punches cover dual-typed Fairies as well as other Pokemon, notably Skarmory; Choice Band Iron Tail does have a chance to OHKO physically defensive Clefable after Stealth Rock, though its accuracy can be a letdown. Dragon Dance + SubRoost can set up on bulkier targets, but mono-Dragon coverage is no longer great due to the advent of Fairies, and Zygarde does bulky boosting better due to Coil and additional STAB. Dragonite has a very wide special movepool to use, but there are superior options for purely special attacking Dragons, such as the Latio twins, Hydreigon, and even Goodra. Dragonite still has access to its parashuffling set, using Thunder Wave + Dragon Tail to paralyse multiple foes, but Electric-types can no longer be paralysed, while Zygarde again steals the spotlight since it has Glare which can paralyse Ground-types, nerfing parashuffler Dragonite's overall potential.

Checks and Counters
########

**Outrage sponges**: Fairies easily discourage Dragonite from going wild with Outrage. Unaware Clefable ignores Dragon Dance and Weakness Policy boosts while retaliating with super effective Fairy STAB, making it the best counter, while physically defensive Sylveon, Togekiss, Azumarill, and Intimidate Mawile pre-Mega Evolution can stop a Dragonite sweep even if it does not spam Outrage. Steel-types, such as Scizor, Aegislash, Heatran, and Ferrothorn, are the next best thing, and what they lack in a Dragon immunity they make up for by locking Dragonite in if they switch in on its first Outrage, which Fairies cannot do.

**Ice-type moves**: Even with Multiscale, Dragonite does not like taking these attacks. Ice Beam Protean Greninja, Kyurem-B, Icicle Spear Mamoswine, and Skill Link Cloyster are examples of the few Pokemon that can OHKO Dragonite right through its Multiscale. Bulkier users such as Ice Beam Manaphy and Ice Punch Conkeldurr can also quickly dispatch Dragonite.

**Physically bulky Pokemon**: Stone Edge Landorus-T, Quagsire, Gliscor, Skarmory, RestTalk Intimidate Gyarados, Mega Tyranitar, and Hippowdon can all check Dragonite and either status, phase, or respond with super effective attacks. However, Choice Band Dragonite may leave a more noticeable mark on them though, since it can afford to hit-and-run as it keeps its power even when switching out, limiting the number of times they can switch into Dragonite.

**Outspeeding**: Dragonite becomes more vulnerable if it cannot act before the opponent, or is forced to use Extreme Speed which may not KO its opponents. Ice Shard Mamoswine, healthy Brave Bird Talonflame, and Choice Scarfers such as Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Terrakion can stop Dragon Dance Dragonite, with Scarf Terrakion receiving special mention due to its Extreme Speed resistance. The Choice Band and bulky set are substantially easier to revenge.

**Circumventing Multiscale**: While Multiscale can make KOing Dragonite a trying task, there are many ways to get around it without suffering too much damage in return. Stealth Rock is the easiest method, and also chips away a large amount of Dragonite's health as well, making it much easier to take down. Sandstorm and Hail also break Multiscale, though it only works if one turn has passed. Harmful status and Leech Seed is another alternative, especially burn which cripples Dragonite's power and reduces its damage output. Finally, while the abilities are fairly rare, Teravolt Kyurem-B and Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados can ignore Multiscale and hammer Dragonite with Ice moves, or in Kyurem-B's case, it can also use Dragon-type moves as well.

You want to remember that base formes such as Landorus do not have a -I or something like that attached to them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)