DP Roost Moltres

Sarenji

leaf-faced
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think the current Roost set should be replaced with this one. Also, if someone could accurately calculate damage for some Pokémon versus Moltres, that would be really appreciated (especially the three mentioned in the first paragraph). I'd like to see exact calculations for CB Tyranitar Crunch, as well.

The EVs section is meant to be appended to the end of the current EVs section.
The Other Options is meant to be appended to the end of the current Other Options.
The counters section is meant to be sandwiched between the last two paragraphs of the current counters section.

[SET]
name: Stall
move 1: Flamethrower
move 2: Roost
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Toxic / Will-O-Wisp
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe

<p>Moltres, after trading power for bulkiness, becomes somewhat akin to a wall and one of the most difficult Pokémon to take down. Its 148 defense EVs and a Bold nature mean that an Adamant Swords Danced Life Orb Lucario Close Combat will 2HKO, as will a Swords Danced Life Orb Jolly Weavile Ice Punch. In a similar but worse vein, a Swords Danced Life Orb Technician Scizor Quick-Attack will 3HKO. Meanwhile, Moltres OHKOs each and every one of those Pokémon back with Flamethrower. If the first two Pokémon decide to have Focus Sash instead, then their Swords Danced attacks turn into 3HKOs -- so Moltres still beats them.</p>

<p>Flamethrower and Toxic can hit nearly every Pokémon in the game. Water Pokémon usually don't carry Rest, so a Toxic status can debilitate them. The best counters to Flamethrower and Toxic are Tentacruel and Heatran, but even with the latter, countering Moltres isn't quite guaranteed.</p>

<p>A Choiced Heatran is walled by Moltres, not the other way. A Specs Fire Blast does less than 50%, and Pressure burns up Fire Blast's PP faster than napalm on top of a flame. Even if Heatran comes in on a Flamethrower, Moltres can still Roost or Substitute while it attacks and Pressure the Fire Blasts away. And since Fire Blast is more powerful than any of Heatran's other moves, Moltres can survive those moves as well. When it actually comes to attacking Heatran, yes, Moltres can't do anything back. But it really doesn't matter -- Moltres's time will be largely focused on putting up another Substitute or Roosting, and in the lulls before then, it can Toxic Heatran to waste time.</p>

<p>Moltres also beats Rest / Sleep Talk versions of Heatran, as they need to be damaged to Rest in the first place. Since Specs can't even beat Moltres, this strain of Heatran is going to do even less. Without being able to Rest, Heatran is forced to attack -- almost as if it were Taunted -- and Pressure slowly chokes its attacks away.</p>

<p>If Moltres is ever paired up against a Blissey, Moltres usually stalls Blissey out of her Seismic Toss PP with Pressure, Substitute, and Roost. Ice Beams usually don't break a Substitute, and Flamethrowers naturally don't. Even if Blissey has Thunderbolt, Moltres can still win as Roost removes its Electric weakness while healing itself. Blissey's only chance to win is to either predict a Roost and status Moltres with Toxic, or use Calm Mind and Thunderbolt. Landing a Thunder Wave will also help, but paralysis doesn't quite stop Moltres (although getting fully paralyzed at a vital point gets annoying fast).</p>

<p>Moltres outspeeds all Tyranitar but Scarf versions, and can stall their Stone Edges to 0 PP if one misses. However, if the Tyranitar isn't choiced, good players are going to either Taunt or switch to Crunch immediately. Moltres's speed also lets it outspeed Adamant Breloom and most Celebi and Jirachi.</p>

[EVs]
<p>Stall Moltres wants 248 HP EVs for more resistance against both sides of the attacking spectrum, and so it can come in twice on Stealth Rock. It also wants as much defense as possible so it can take on physical threats like Lucario, Metagross, Weavile and family.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>If your team uses Toxic Spikes, Protect can replace Stall Moltres's status move to help it stall PP even more.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Taunt Heatran, Tentacruel, and Empoleon are the best counters to a stalling Moltres, rendering its attacks useless (unless Moltres has Will-O-Wisp for the latter two) and forcing it to switch. If Heatran has Metal Sound and is faster, it is also a viable counter, as Metal Sound has 64 PP.</p>

<p>Starmie and Rest Suicune, while able to be hit by Toxic, can refresh themselves by switching out or Resting, respectively. They also resist Flamethrower and slap Moltres around with Surf.</p>

<p>The rest of the water Pokémon counter Moltres, but Toxic can cripple them. Substitute Garchomp can come in on Flamethrower, Substitute, and set up. Cresselia walls Moltres with Rest and beats it if it has a stat-up move as well.</p>

Proofread this, and I will do damage calculations later

"In a similar but worse vein, a Swords Danced Life Orb Technician Scizor Quick-Attack will 3HKO."
by 'worse vein' do you mean less important? This was unclear to me

"If the first two Pokémon decide to have Focus Sash instead, then their Swords Danced attacks turn into 3HKOs -- so Moltres still beats them."
I felt this was a little weirdly worded..could you maybe say 'If the first two pokemon use Focus Sash instead of Life Orb, then their Swords Danced attacks will 3HKO" (first part should be changed regardless, I think, since you need to reference Life Orb; right now I think you have a fragment!)

I am not trying to be nitpicky or anything obviously, just trying to improve quality so
"Flamethrower and Toxic can hit nearly every Pokémon in the game. Water Pokémon usually don't carry Rest, so a Toxic status can debilitate them."
sould rather be "Flamethrower and Toxic hit nearly ever Pokemon in the game." (and evne the in the game is not necessary really...) just in interests of not using unnecessary verbiage.

Just because I hate starting sentences with And/But, I would suggest
"Since Fire Blast is more powerful than any of Heatran's other moves, Moltres can survive those moves as well." or just to make it one sentence

"A Choiced Heatran is walled by Moltres, not the other way." is a fragmentary sentence again, so
"A Choiced Heatran is walled by moltres, and not vice versa" would sound better! (well, the vice versa just because I hate the phrase 'the other way around' lol)

"When it actually comes to attacking Heatran, yes, Moltres can't do anything back."
would be stronger as
When it comes to attacking Heatran, it is true that Moltres cannot do anything. (I dropped the 'doing back' and 'actually', they seemed extraneous)
I would also join the sentences since I hate starting sentences with But, but that is your prerogative!

"Moltres's time will be largely focused on putting up another Substitute or Roosting, and in the lulls before then, it can Toxic Heatran to waste time."
lulls between not before, I believe you meant

Landing a Thunder Wave will also help, but paralysis doesn't quite stop Moltres (although getting fully paralyzed at a vital point gets annoying fast).
I think instead of using the pejorative language of annoying you could just go with "(although being fully paralyzed at a vital point is always debilitating)", or drop that entirely, since I am going to presume that people reading these analyses probably understand being fped is no fun! If you do keep it, being is still more proper than getting

If you want me to make these changes on the SCMS, I certainly could, if there is nothing you disagree with.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
this post is for jrrrrrrr's and Aldaron's purposes...

site represents OP, delete (awesome set Sarenji =D)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)