DP Registeel

After testing Registeel in ubers, I've decided to revise the current Registeel uber set. I've never found Shadow Claw to be very useful, and it should be emphasized more that Reigsteel is a support Pokemon and not a tank.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/registeel

[SET]
name: Uber Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Ice Punch / Toxic
move 3: Thunder Wave
move 4: Explosion
item: Leftovers
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 232 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With its resistances to Ghost, Ice, and Dragon, immunity to Toxic, fantastic defenses, and access to useful support moves like Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave, Registeel can be a very effective team supporter in ubers. Stealth Rock is an always-useful support move that is less accessible in ubers than it is in OU. Thunder Wave is an invaluable move against the many sweepers of ubers, while Toxic breaks down walls and Groudon. Explosion is always a worthwhile choice to sacrifice Registeel once its purpose has been fulfilled, and it also helps to keep Pokemon like Mewtwo and Kyogre at bay, though Thunder Wave can do that already. Protect is another option to scout Choice attackers, and gain a small bit of recovery.</p>

I think Thunerwave or Toxic and Explosion is best.

Conflicting status is a big poblem. Thunderwave is actully not as big a deal as Toxic in ubers, from my experience.

Explosion helps with taking big ones out quickly - Kyogre, Rayquaza, etc.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
A few things
- I'm not sure if Ice Punch is much help against Latias with Refresh. Her base 90 Def and 80 base HP laughs at your Ice Punch coming from 186 Attack.
- Registeel is genderless, so replace "him" with "its"
- Mention Registeel's immunity to Toxic, as this is something most defensive ubers lack (unless they Rest/Talk)

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
After testing Registeel in ubers, I've decided to revise the current Registeel uber set. I've never found Shadow Claw to be very useful, and it should be emphasized more that Reigsteel is a support Pokemon and not a tank.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/registeel

[SET]
name: Uber Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Ice Punch
move 3: Thunder Wave
move 4: Toxic / Explosion
item: Leftovers
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With its resistances to common attacking types such as Ghost, Ice, and Dragon, immunity to Toxic, fantastic defenses, and access to useful support moves like Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave, Registeel can be a very effective team supporter in Ubers. Stealth Rock is an always-useful support move that is less accessible in Ubers than it is in OU. Ice Punch helps against Rayquaza and Garchomp locked into Outrage. Thunder Wave is an invaluable move against the many common sweepers in Ubers, while Toxic breaks down walls and pokemon that resist Thunder Wave such as Groudon. Explosion is always a worthwhile choice to sacrifice Registeel once its purpose has been fulfilled, and it also helps to keep Pokemon like Mewtwo and Kyogre at bay, though Thunder Wave can also do that.</p>
Ubers is capitalized, and the rest a couple of things sounded a bit awkward, so I tried to fix them up.

I think Protect deserves a mention alongside Thunder Wave.

Protect serves a multitude of uses such as PP Stalling which is actually pretty viable in a metagame filled with 8 PP moves such as for moves like Water Spout, Sacred Fire and Spacial Rend.

This also makes a great defence against Choice Attackers, easing prediction enormously. Pokemon like Scarf/Band Ho-oh, Scarf Palkia, Scarf/Specs Kyogre, Band Groudon, Band Tyranitar, Band Chomp can all rip apart Registeel and even come in on its attacks but with Protect, you'll be able to switch to a pokemon that resists any 'Choice-locked' move. (eg, Palkia on Water Spout).

Finally, it is Registeel's only way to 'recover' damage (though, admittedly 6% in a turn isn't much to write home about). It can be useful in turning 2HKOs in 3HKOs though.

I agree that Protect deserves a mention, especially after a ladder match against you, when Registeel was paired up against Tyranitar and I over-predicted, losing Registeel immediately. However, I don't think I'll list it on the set, but rather, mention it in the set comments.

Does anyone else think that mentioning Lum Berry as an option over Leftovers would make this a respectable lead in ubers? Sure Groudon stomps you into the dust, but with Registeels defenses it can take Kyogre, Darkrai, Lati@s, Deoxys-A, and many more. It could at least cripple them with Paralysis.

Just a thought. =3

it could be a decent lead, but then it would be completely outclassed by a dialga with thunder wave/ stealth rock/ draco meteor/ fire blast with lum berry. The dialga would outspeed registeel has slightly lower defences, but trades off a water resist for registeel's dragon resist (water is most likely more benficial as a lead).

the main reason to use this dialga is that it can actually do damage if set up against a taunter or even kill palkia with one draco meteor.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
K I'm going to undelete after talking with Umbarsc yesterday.

He said the set in the analysis should be updated in moveset (one move I believe) and subtleties with the description, so I'll give him a day or two to do that and then we'll get this up on the site.

should be changed to

"Thunder Wave can already do that."

iirc
It's just a matter of preference, and saying it out loud, it just seems to flow more smoothly the way umbarsc already had it written, although I agree with SoT in that it should be changed to 'also do that'. Note on SoT's changes: according to Mekkah, 'ubers' is correct [as opposed to 'Ubers'], although Great Sage and darkie both suggested different things ~~; and it was never resolved

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I posted something similar before, I deleted it but I forgot why. I think I stated something incorrectly. Anyway, here is what I suggest.

24 Attack EVs allow Registeel to do 55% minimum to 4 HP / 0 Def Rayquaza with Ice Punch, meaning that Rayquaza will be OHKO'd after 2 Life Orb recoils and SR damage. 24 Attack EVs also allows you to OHKO Latias (112 HP, Timid) 79% of the time with Explosion and always OHKO with Stealth Rock. They also guarantee that 4 HP Rayquaza is OHKO'd after 1 Life Orb Recoil with Explosion

120 Defense EVs allow Registeel to not be OHKO'd on average by a +1 Rayquaza's EQ. The remaining were put in Special Defense and, for the most part, the calculations in terms of 2HKO's/OHKO's against you are the same whether or not you use maximum Special Defense.

My recommended spread:
Spread: Careful , 252 HP / 24 Atk / 120 Def / 112 SpD
Stats: 364 HP / 192 Atk / 366 Def / 400 SpD

Current Spread:
Spread: Careful, 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Stats: 364 HP / 186 Atk / 337 Def / 438 SpD

Not a huge difference but I feel my spread is slightly superior. I would at least recommend running 24 Atk EVs for 112 HP Latios though.

After running some calcs I realized that cutting from the SpD takes away from Registeel's ability to soak Thunders from Lati@s, so I'm keeping the SpD-heavy spread. But I did take 20 EVs from SpD to put into Atk.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You may want to mention why those 24 Atk EVs are so important in the description of the set. Caelum made a pretty convincing case, and it will help spruce up the set a bit. "hey, Registeel ISNT a complete waste of data space on my pokemon cartridge!" etc

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
meh, I just took this upon myself and added a paragraph about the Attack EVs. I put this on SCMS so whenever it is cached it can be moved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)