DP Mewtwo

I've been play testing Jibaku's theoretical Mewtwo set for some time and I think it really deserves a peer edit.

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Will-O-Wisp
move 2: Reflect / Thunder
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Recover
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 226 Def / 32 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>When you first see this set, the first thing that may come into your mind is, "What on earth?". Yes, "what on earth?" is a fairly logical and acceptable response, as turning Mewtwo into a physical wall is at least very unexpected. </p>

<p>This set attempts to abuse Mewtwo's underrated physically defensive capabilities via Reflect and Will-o-Wisp, a move learned by so few in the uber metagame. With Will-O-Wisp and Reflect, Mewtwo can quickly shut down many of its usual counters, such as Scizor ,Tyranitar and Metagross, as well as stopping pretty much all physical sweepers dead in their tracks. Taunt prevents recovery, so even Blissey will be hard pressed to bring a stop to this set. With Taunt, Mewtwo can also prevent Pokemon such as Jirachi and Forretress from suffocating it with Toxic, or setting up Spikes / Toxic Spikes. Taunt in tandem with Recover on the same set is something no other physical walls in Ubers besides Deoxys-D can boast, however Mewtwo's superior Speed allows it to abuse Taunt more efficiently, thus Mewtwo is not simply an inferior Giratina or Lugia and should not be treated as such. Thunder is an option over Reflect if you feel it absolutely necessary to have an attacking move on the set. Thunder covers up Ho-oh and Kyogre rather nicely, as they don't suffer much from your other three moves. Ice Beam and Seismic Toss are other options that can be used in that slot. Ice Beam hits Rayquaza and Groudon while Seismic Toss will deal consistent damage and helps with wearing down foes faster. </p>

<p>The EVs generate 416 HP, 272 Defense and 334 Speed. The 334 Speed allows Mewtwo to outrun max Speed Jolly Garchomp, the fastest physical attacker you'll see in Ubers as well as max Speed base 100s like Mew and Palkia. </p>

Due to the success of the physical orientated Mewtwo I decided to try out a special variant, and it too works better than I had expected, so i'm just going to post it here as well.

[SET]
name: Light Screen Mewtwo
move 1: Light Screen
move 2: Toxic / Will-o-Wisp
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Recover
item: Leftovers
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 32 Spe / 226 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This Mewtwo is the special defensive counterpart of the physical defensive Mewtwo mentioned above. With Light Screen, Mewtwo can soak up many special attacks, including a Surf from a Rest/Talk Kyogre, Spacial Rends from both Scarf and Specs Palkia as well as Dialga's Specs Draco Meteor without much of a hassle. Mewtwo can then proceed to inflict a status ailment of choice on the opponent; Toxic is generally the preferred option as it takes down opponents much faster than Will-o-Wisp can, and as such it will be more useful against Pokemon that Mewtwo doesn’t want a prolonged stay against, such as Latias and Kyogre. Will-o-Wisp, however, cushions Mewtwo’s more vulnerable physical side, allowing it to switch out of Tyranitar or Scizor Pursuits with HP to spare, as well having the added bonus of being able to damage Dialga and Jirachi. Taunt stops any attempt of recovering, supporting and statusing Mewtwo, making it very hard for Pokemon such as Celebi and Blissey to get past it. Finally, Mewtwo is fortunate enough to be gifted with a reliable recovery move in Recover, allowing Mewtwo to replenish its health quickly and efficiently and coupled with Mewtwo's Pressure ability allows it to stall out low PP moves like the aforementioned Draco Meteor and Spacial Rend.</p>

<p>Without Will-o-Wisp, one must be especially careful of Scizor and Metagross as both have little to fear from this Mewtwo. Both have access to Pursuit should Mewtwo switch out, and they both pack attacks that can severely hurt Mewtwo if he doesn’t (U-turn in Scizor’s case, Meteor Mash in Metagross’ case). Although it may not like Toxic, Tyranitar can really be a pain as it gets STAB on both Pursuit and Crunch, and a high physical attack score to further fuel their threat levels. In fact, Tyranitar can 2HKO a non-switching Mewtwo with Pursuit if it is lucky enough and with Sandstorm around Mewtwo will be hard pressed to try and stall it out with Toxic and Recover. </p>

xD Some of your stuff were copied right off from jibaku's description from the new moveset thread.

IIRC the point of reflect, was to replace w-o-w, as an option to support the team. Was that a mistake to put it as an option for thunder or was that intentional?

Any mewtwo with +speed nature, and 34+ speed evs, could outspeed and taunt the set, without thunder. Seeing as taunt +speed nature mewtwos are common, thunder should always be used over reflect, since w-o-w is going to be taking care of weakening anyway.

Last sentence of second paragraph:

"Ice Beam hits Rayquaza and Groudon while Seismic Toss will deal consistent damage and will help with wearing down foes faster."

Bolded what needs to be added. Looks like a great set. If you do opt for Thunder, then I think Wide Lens should be an option as you don't want Will-O-Wisp to miss that often either.

xD Some of your stuff were copied right off from jibaku's description from the new moveset thread.

IIRC the point of reflect, was to replace w-o-w, as an option to support the team. Was that a mistake to put it as an option for thunder or was that intentional?

Any mewtwo with +speed nature, and 34+ speed evs, could outspeed and taunt the set, without thunder. Seeing as taunt +speed nature mewtwos are common, thunder should always be used over reflect, since w-o-w is going to be taking care of weakening anyway.
I spoke with Jibaku about it and used some of his comments since he already explained everything relatively well.

However, this is not the exact same set he posted. Reflect is indeed more useful than Thunder if your aim is to stop physical attackers as things like SD Groudon, Bulk Up Dialga, Bulk Up Palkia and CB Tar (defense drops) can still generally beat you you if you don't have both on the same set, w-o-w can't cover all physical attackers by itself.

As for opposing Mewtwo, I don't find them that it that common and if you check Dougs statistics you will see that Taunt isn't actually that often on Mewtwo. However you're correct, a faster taunter such as Mewtwo or Darkrai will beat this set easily but its totally up to preference what you run in the Reflect slot, if you need an attack then use one, if your primary aim is to wall physical attackers (which is the sets purpose) then Reflect is the superior choice.

Edited in the Light Screen set

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I used some of spoke with Jibaku about it and used some of his comments since he already explained everything relatively well.
I approve of this

Anyways I really think you should just put in Beam and Toss to the set. Yes I mentioned this a couple of times already but I think they deserve the same amount of credit as Thunder does. At least put Ice Beam in if you're going by the 3 move limit.

however Mewtwo's superior Speed allows it to abuse Taunt more effeciently
efficiently

There really isn't a "What on Earth" with this set to me that is since mew2 should really stick to supporting rather than sweeping seeing as he is outclassed in that department by many ubers. Nice set none the less, and it might make mew2 more useful now.

And also you might want to post a Dual screen mew2 as well Maniac.

a fairly logical and acceptable response, as turning Mewtwo into a physical wall is at the least very unexpected.
This would probably sound better without the "the".

<p>This set attempts to abuse Mewtwo's underrated physically defensive capabilities via Reflect and Will-o-Wisp
capitalize the O in Will-O-Wisp

Taunt prevents recovery, so even Blissey will be hard pressed to bring a stop this set.
insert "to" between a and stop

Taunt in tandem with Recover on the same set are something that no other physical walls in Ubers besides Deoxys-D can boast,
I believe the subject here is considered to be singular, so it should be is instead of are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)