DP Lucario

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Whoa big boys and small girls! No Choice Scarf Lucario? Come now, with Lucario's impressive attacking potential from both sides of the spectrum, it can certainly significantly hurt its opposition. You all know how many options Lucario has for its move set, but I've only tried this set so for now I'll only include what I know works. However if you have tried other stuff, feel free to add comments.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lucario

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Dark Pulse
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Inner Focus
nature: Mild
evs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set utilizes Choice Scarf in conjunction with Lucario's large move pool and impressive attacking stats in order to create an effective sweeper. Inner Focus is chosen as the choice of ability over Steadfast due to the fact that Choice Scarf already boosts Lucario's Speed, and additional Speed is almost superfluous. Additionally, Lucario will take a hefty 33.8% damage from an Ambipom's Fake Out, meaning if Lucario was flinched, Ambipom could theoretically switch in and switch out in order to defeat Lucario in almost 3 turns.</p>

<p>Close Combat is chosen over Aura Sphere in order to do more damage to Blissey (90%+) and OHKO Tyranitar. Hidden Power Ice is chosen because Gliscor, Garchomp, Hippowdon and Salamence will often switch into Lucario. Dark Pulse is preferred over Shadow Ball for its ability to potentially flinch the opponent, a valuable characteristic when facing Special Defensive Cresselia or Celebi. Finally, Stone Edge was chosen in order to deal damage to Zapdos and Gyarados, especially on the switch. Stone Edge has the potential to 2HKO standard defensive versions of both assuming the omnipresent Sandstorm and Stealth Rock are in play.</p>

<p>The EVs are designed to allow Lucario to always outspeed Choice Scarf Heatran (another common switch into Lucario due to Choice Scarf Heatran's resistance to both Bullet Punch and Extremespeed) and Adamant Dragonite and Gyarados after a Dragon Dance. Emphasis is placed in Special Attack over Attack because the main Pokemon hit by Close Combat, Blissey and Tyranitar, are dealt huge damage and the main Pokemon hit by Stone Edge, Zapdos and Gyarados, are usually 2HKOed provided Sandstorm and Stealth Rock are in play. 352 Special Attack allows Lucario to OHKO 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp with Hidden Power Ice most of the time and it allows Lucario to always 2HKO standard 252 HP / 4 SpD Celebi with Dark Pulse provided Stealth Rock is in play.</p>

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Original

The EVs are designed to allow Lucario to always outspeed Choice Scarf Heatran (another common switch into Lucario due to Choice Scarf Heatran's resistance to both Bullet Punch and Extremespeed) and Adamant Dragonite and Gyarados after a Dragon Dance.
My "edit"

The EVs are designed to allow Lucario to outspeed Choice Scarf Heatran (another common switch into Lucario due to Choice Scarf Heatran's resistance to both Bullet Punch and Extremespeed) and Adamant Dragonite and Gyarados after a Dragon Dance most of the time.
I'm probably wrong, but hopefully somebody can rephrase it better than I can, the set is looking good aswell.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The EVs are designed to allow Lucario to always outspeed Choice Scarf Heatran (another common switch into Lucario due to Choice Scarf Heatran's resistance to both Bullet Punch and Extremespeed) as well as Adamant Dragonite and Gyarados after a Dragon Dance.
Saying "And" between Heatran and Dragonite kinda makes it sound like Heatran can DD too, so "as well as" shows that Dragonite and Gyarados can only DD

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looks good, just tried this set a while a go and worked well. This is a really minor nitpick but is 252 HP / 4 SpD Celebi "standard"? Isn't the standard 252 HP / 0 SpD ? It's completely irrelevant but it's just a thought.

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set utilizes Choice Scarf in conjunction with Lucario's large move pool and impressive attacking stats in order to create an effective sweeper. Inner Focus is chosen as the choice of ability over Steadfast due to the fact that Choice Scarf already boosts Lucario's Speed, and additional Speed is almost superfluous. Additionally, Lucario will take a hefty 33.8% damage from an Ambipom's Fake Out, meaning if Lucario was flinched, Ambipom could theoretically switch in and switch out in order to defeat Lucario in almost 3 turns.</p>

This just seems redundant to me, maybe change it to "For the ability, Inner Focus is preferred over Steadfast ..."

<p>Close Combat is chosen over Aura Sphere in order to do more damage to Blissey (90%+) and OHKO Tyranitar. Hidden Power Ice is chosen because Gliscor, Garchomp, Hippowdon, and Salamence will often switch into Lucario. Dark Pulse is preferred over Shadow Ball for its ability to potentially flinch the opponent, a valuable characteristic when facing Special Defensive Cresselia or Celebi. Finally, Stone Edge was chosen in order to deal damage to Zapdos and Gyarados, especially on the switch-in. Stone Edge has the potential to 2HKO standard defensive versions of both assuming the omnipresent Sandstorm and Stealth Rock are in play.</p>

Serial comma after Hippowdon.
Changing "switch" to "switch-in" is just a small nitpick that helps clarification.

<p>The EVs are designed to allow Lucario to always outspeed Choice Scarf Heatran (another common switch into Lucario due to Choice Scarf Heatran's resistance to both Bullet Punch and Extremespeed) and Adamant Dragonite and Gyarados after a Dragon Dance. Emphasis is placed in Special Attack over Attack because the main Pokemon hit by Close Combat, Blissey and Tyranitar, are dealt huge amounts of damage and the main Pokemon hit by Stone Edge, Zapdos and Gyarados, are usually 2HKOed provided Sandstorm and Stealth Rock are in play. 352 Special Attack allows Lucario to OHKO 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp with Hidden Power Ice most of the time and it allows Lucario to always 2HKO standard 252 HP / 4 SpD Celebi with Dark Pulse provided Stealth Rock is in play.</p>
"Huge damage" only works if you see "damage" as singular noun. I personally view it as a plural noun, so I guess you should change it as you see fit.

as the choice of ability
I think you can remove this at it's not needed.

are dealt huge damage
You might wanna add "already" in between "are" and "dealt".

and Adamant Dragonite and Gyarados after a Dragon Dance.
I think you should change the "and" before Adamant Dragonite with something like "along with" or "as well as".

Thanks have a nice day ^^.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I'd invest a bit more into Attack, considering that the major attacks seem to be physical on this set, Celebi isn't a frequent switch into Lucario because it fears Crunch on the Swords Dance set, and it hardly matters that Hidden Power Ice can sometimes OHKO Garchomp, because it's rarely at full health, and if it is chances are it has a Yache Berry or Choice Scarf anyways.

I would personally consider Rash over Mild, if only because most of Lucario's useful resistances (Dark, Bug, Rock, maybe Dragon) are generally physical.

This set utilizes Choice Scarf in conjunction with Lucario's large move pool and impressive attacking stats in order to create an effective sweeper.
nitpick but move pool is not two words. It is movepool.

facing Special Defensive Cresselia or Celebi.
Defensive is never capitalized so I am fairly certain you should change it to "a valuable characteristic when facing defensive threats like Cresselia or Celebi".

Dark Pulse is already a special attack so no real need to mention it :/

Choice Scarf Heatran's resistance to both Bullet Punch and Extremespeed) and Adamant Dragonite and Gyarados after a Dragon Dance.
When talking about the dragon dancers using "and" before "adamant dragonite" as well as before "Gyarados" just doesnt sound right since you are identifying gyara and nite in the same category.

"Choice Scarf Heatran's resistance to both Bullet Punch and Extremespeed) as well as Adamant Dragonite and Gyarados after a Dragon Dance."

That fits better (You could even put adamant gyarados but I dont know)

cc hits all steels except forry and scizor harder than blaze kick. the only thing blaze kick has going for it is burn chance and no def down, the former not being what the set is trying to accomplish and the latter is not that important on a choice scarf set, especially one who 4x resists pursuit.

dark pulse does everything crunch does but with flinch chance which is nice on a cs set

edit: forgot wormadam-S xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)